PDA

View Full Version : Acts of the Immortals

Zeful
2008-03-05, 11:52 PM
Hello all. For a while in my campaign setting, I've been devising a Codex of Immortals (name shamelessly stolen from the homebrew boards). It holds the names and legends of every Immortal at the time of it's creation. However I've been trying to think of Heroic deeds that could grant Immortality. Kind of like prophecies that few people know. I couldn't think of anything to particularily exciting and would appreaciate some help.

If you can, please give ideas in the bulletproof monk form (ie. "He/You shall defeat an army while a flock of cranes circle overhead."

Thank you in advance.

Ranis
2008-03-06, 12:01 AM
Immortal, like, becoming a god, or just being immortal and walking around forever ala Lost Odyssey?

graymachine
2008-03-06, 12:10 AM
The swallow slays the dragon.

Mewtarthio
2008-03-06, 12:14 AM
Any Elan.

...Actually, I think Elans would be extremely interested in that Codex.

Zeful
2008-03-06, 12:37 AM
Immortal, like, becoming a god, or just being immortal and walking around forever ala Lost Odyssey?

Think Highlander, you can't die from old age or disease, but someone who plans on killing you (finds your name in a Codex for instance) can. Maybe.

The swallow slays the dragon.

Thank you for your input and this is a very vauge prophecy thingy, but I was looking for more of an action rather than an event.

Any Elan.

...Actually, I think Elans would be extremely interested in that Codex.

Since I don't allow Elans in my games (I generally run PHb races only) this isn't an issue, and in part why the book exists.

LoneStarNorth
2008-03-06, 12:59 AM
A couple of methods I've used for characters/villains in the past:

1) A man changed shape so often that he no longer had a natural form, and therefore did not age. Like the druid's timeless body on steroids. And someone who can change their shape at will is automatically powerful enough to be some kind of demigod.

2) A wizard replaced a few of his bits with those of long-lived and powerful creatures to gain effective immortality; the blood of dragons, the heart of a devil, and so on. The foreign nature of his own organs eventually drove him mad, but he used a powerful spell to impregnate a woman with his own soul. The child she bore had the wizard's original mind, but a body like a crossbreed of all the creatures he'd taken parts from (lots of templates).

Neither of those really qualifies as a heroic deed, though. You could always just have your standard lone-warrior-defends-village-from-tides-of-evil. Or killing another immortal grants you his power.

evisiron
2008-03-06, 01:08 AM
I have never seen Bullet Proof Monk, so not sure if format is right. Still...

"When the sky darkens, once foes will look to you, only to have their eyes plucked by the one they hoped to save them"

"As dawn breaks on the forty second day of the thousandth season, one shall claim the power of the Gods for himself, and the world will shake."

"When all seems lost, at the darkest hour, a force shall empower you to defeat the ancient foe that plagues this fair land."

Hope that helps :smallbiggrin:

Zeful
2008-03-06, 01:13 AM
A couple of methods I've used for characters/villains in the past:

1) A man changed shape so often that he no longer had a natural form, and therefore did not age. Like the druid's timeless body on steroids. And someone who can change their shape at will is automatically powerful enough to be some kind of demigod.

2) A wizard replaced a few of his bits with those of long-lived and powerful creatures to gain effective immortality; the blood of dragons, the heart of a devil, and so on. The foreign nature of his own organs eventually drove him mad, but he used a powerful spell to impregnate a woman with his own soul. The child she bore had the wizard's original mind, but a body like a crossbreed of all the creatures he'd taken parts from (lots of templates).

Neither of those really qualifies as a heroic deed, though. You could always just have your standard lone-warrior-defends-village-from-tides-of-evil. Or killing another immortal grants you his power.

Well I'm actually tring to get away from the Highlander-esk immortality. Killing an immortal in this campaign gives a low level SLA/PLA or a thematic ability/bonus the immortal used. To become an immortal you have to jump through a few hoops, but for the life of me I can't think of those hoops. That's why I came here.

EDIT: @Envisron: Actually the first one was very helpful, the other two are more prophetic and novelesk, still good and I might use them for the legends.

evisiron
2008-03-06, 01:28 AM
Cool. And since it says about mentioning stuff in you sig, my name is evisiron, not Envisron. No worries though, for some reason, very few type my name correctly.

Oh, also:

"As the arcane power peaks, throw down the totems that remain of your allies. Life shall be granted once again"

I will post if I come up with more. :smallsmile:

Khanderas
2008-03-06, 04:27 AM
Untouched by Time you can be
If the first light of the year you see
When it first touches the world
the will of the gods can be heard
the power can be taken, but never for free

(limerick, that hints to get to the highest mountain, edge of the world or other remote place where the sun will rise first upon the new year. The first intelligent being hit by the morning sun will become untouched by time, or immortal in the sense of he stops aging. This way, one immortal at best is produced every year, and staying alive (harsh weather, other wannabe-immortals and immortals who don't want competition) can be tough.

Shademan
2008-03-06, 05:34 AM
slay a elder dragon and devour its heart.

Ranis
2008-03-06, 08:03 AM
From your darkest thoughts emerges the champion of hate, bred of your own flesh. Defeat thine darkest depths and be welcomed to the heavens.