PDA

View Full Version : So I randomly generated a Dark Heresy character and... help!

loopy
2008-03-06, 08:07 AM
So, I've decided to participate in a Dark Heresy campaign with a mate of mine. For a laugh, I decided to roll my entire character up (including height/skin colour, etc) on the random tables. This is what I ended up with:

(Duc De) Tenet Khan
Homeworld: Hiveworld
Class: Scum (think rogue/thief/con artist)

Stats:
Weapon Skill: 29
Ballistic Skill: 38
Strength: 30
Toughness: 26
Agility: 39
Intelligence: 35
Perception: 32
Willpower: 29
Fellowship: 50 (Ridiculously high)

Scrawny, 170cm and 55kg.
Skin: Chem Stained (Grey), Pallid
Hair: Black
Eye: Prosthetics
Background: Hiveworld Noble

Fortune: 'Corruption Within, Mutation Without' (Wyrdling: Psyker level 1)
Power chosen: Lucky

So... my challenge to you is to find out how someone so charismatic (and preternaturally lucky) could be born as a Noble, yet end up as a con man living off the streets with prosthetic eyes and chemical stained skin. Bust out you amazing character background skills! Whoever makes the best story gets a cookie!

tyckspoon
2008-03-06, 08:26 AM
Hmm. Well, if Necromunda can be taken as a 'generic' hive, he could have decided to go slumming when he was younger and wound up stuck in the gang wars, or forged a connection he is unwilling or unable to abandon (tried to con somebody slicker than himself and ended up entrapped by a/the mafia-type group?) Maybe he tried to work his game against other nobles, was caught, and was exiled downhive as a punishment. Or his psychic nature could have come to light, and he took to the streets to hide from the Inquisition and his eventual fate as fuel for the Emperor. How does gambling strike you? He gets involved in games, his 'Lucky' power comes into play, he wins.. and then keeps winning until people suspect him of cheating. Kind of cliche, but gambling usually doesn't involve very savory people.. he could probably talk his way out of being killed on the spot, but he wouldn't be in a good position. Nice point to lead into a lot of stories.

Not very detailed, but there are at least dozens of ways for even the luckiest people to fall from grace in the 40k setting.

CheshireCatAW
2008-03-06, 10:11 AM
I don't know too much about what the Fellowship skill is, but it sounds like teamwork or how easily people get along with you, and perhaps, reciprocally, how you can get along with them.

So perhaps your noble moved to a slum area in the hopes of doing good works and ended up bonding with the local residents. "Bad Stuff" happens that you were sure would kill you, but as luck would have it, you survived due to the friends you made with your charismatic character and some good timing. Although your skin has been stained and you have prosthetic eyes, it is still many degrees better than being killed. After said event, you learned that you'd have to start taking care of yourself in ways others might find unseemly, but that could offer you many advantages in more... discreet situations.

How's that?

loopy
2008-03-06, 06:31 PM
Pretty good so far! And yes as you've deduced, fellowship functions like charisma, controlling the social skills.

Oh, and I rolled well on the mutations table, meaning that my mutation is internal(psyker) rather then external.

Thane of Fife
2008-03-06, 07:17 PM
This guy grew up on the streets, trusted by all he met. He enjoyed life to the fullest, and eventually found that he could, without too much trouble, get other people to do what he wanted. With this knowledge, he left the area where he grew up for brighter areas of the hiveworld, tricking people out of their best equipment and services by claiming to be the son of a nobleman, and that his father would be picking up the tab.

Unfortunately for our poor protagonist, his latent psyker abilities came to the forefront. Although largely insignificant, they proved strong enough to come to the attention of a chaos cult, which kidnapped him for conversion/sacrifice. At some point during his stay with the cult, he was exposed to an enormous amount of Chaos energy due to the death of a daemon in his vicinity, twisting his mind. He escaped the cult, but now honestly believes himself to be a nobleman fallen on hard times. He tries to act according to the station he believes he holds, but when people are so willing to do anything you ask, it's just so hard....

Thoughts?

loopy
2008-03-06, 07:41 PM
I really love that concept, Thane of Fife. How would you explain the stained skin and prosthetic eyes? I was going with chemical stains, but I'm sure you could come up with something cooler.

Also, what colour should the stains be, do you think? Voting has opened! :smallwink:

Thane of Fife
2008-03-06, 08:05 PM
Hmm, personally, I'd be tempted to leave those details a bit murky - say that they happened before his memory shift. That way, you could have a character who doesn't really understand why his skin's so dirty. Indeed, if prosthetic eyes look sufficiently normal (although I doubt they do in 40k), he might not even realize that he has fake eyes.

Of course, spending time with a chaos cult makes anything possible - it's Chaos. They can have reasons to bathe people in noxious chemicals or expose people to lights so intense that their eyes boil.

loopy
2008-03-06, 09:29 PM
Of course, spending time with a chaos cult makes anything possible - it's Chaos. They can have reasons to bathe people in noxious chemicals or expose people to lights so intense that their eyes boil.

I've been to raves like that before, haha.

Thank you, Thane of Fife, for providing me with something made both of win and awesome. *gives cookie*

holywhippet
2008-03-06, 10:25 PM
Ok, say his rich family owned some factories and he was running an inspection when it came under attack - orbital bombardment from invading heretics. The blast caused his body to be doused in chemicals which also destroyed his vision. His surviving bodyguards managed to get him to a medical facility where his eyes were replaced and his wounds heal. The invasion continued though and all of his families holdings were destroyed. For years he lived on the street surviving off his own wits while the heretics and the imperial guard struggled for control.

loopy
2008-03-06, 11:36 PM
Ok, say his rich family owned some factories and he was running an inspection when it came under attack - orbital bombardment from invading heretics. The blast caused his body to be doused in chemicals which also destroyed his vision. His surviving bodyguards managed to get him to a medical facility where his eyes were replaced and his wounds heal. The invasion continued though and all of his families holdings were destroyed. For years he lived on the street surviving off his own wits while the heretics and the imperial guard struggled for control.

...and he finds that his other four senses have been supernaturally enhanced, and vows to protect the innocent and wear lots of red leather! :smallbiggrin:

Sounds good man, but sounds a bit too close to the plot to the Daredevil movie adaptation for my liking. I know it probably wasn't intentional, and at least you made me smile. :)

...which is much more than the movie made me do, haha.

Aquillion
2008-03-07, 12:02 AM
Addiction. This character is charismatic in the manner of madmen and fanatics, and completely addicted to some strange drug, chemical, or drink that has stained his skin and ruined his body (hence, prosthetic eyes). Although he has a manner that makes friends easily, his addiction and hedonistic ways constantly consistently wear through their patience (not to mention their wallets); utterly estranged from his noble family, having long since run through the limited inheritance they allowed him, he is forced to resort to a mixture of graft, luck, and yes, on occasion outright thievery to satisfy his outrageously expensive needs.

Despite this, his equally outrageous luck and flamboyantly charismatic manner allow him to continue to survive. Even with his addiction plainly visible on his ruined body, he is nonetheless so charming that even people who ought to know better can be convinced to support him; when they begin to tire of supporting him willingly, he steals what he can and runs off to his next 'friend'.

loopy
2008-03-07, 06:33 AM
I love it Aquillion. A user and abuser, with unfortunate similarities to my currently-unemployed self.

My my, I didn't know how good you forumites were at being shady and manipulative. Personal experience, perhaps?