PDA

View Full Version : Rules You Wish Existed

Benejeseret
2008-03-06, 12:54 PM
Maybe you are a realist...maybe you prefer verisimilitude...but there must be some rules you wish existed.

I am hoping to compile a list that I can peruse an think about adding in to enhance my games. Join In!

1) Initiative Bonus to Ranged Weapons
- all things being equal by core RAW twin brothers 40' away from each other with weapons drawn (spear for one and a drawn and notched crossbow to the other) in a duel to first blood....Half the time the spearman can charge 40' and try to impale the second BEFORE the crossbow weilder can twitch a finger. I have always thought most ranged weapons should have an inherent initiative boost.

2) Opposed diplomacy checks and wild empathy checks

SpikeFightwicky
2008-03-06, 01:14 PM
3) The ability to physically interact with a large or bigger foe other than 'Grapple'.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-06, 01:25 PM
Spekaing of which, the ability to create combat actions on the fly. Like using one of the tarrasque's barbs to get on top of it and execute a diving kick.

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-06, 01:27 PM
Decent reach, or something that made weopon choice more situational.

I mean, while a recent thread reasonably established that a greatsword is normally better than a dagger, there should be situations where it sucks beyond belief - not just in a grapple.

Morty
2008-03-06, 01:27 PM
6) Some penalties for being low on hit points.

Miraqariftsky
2008-03-06, 01:31 PM
How about multiple damage types per weapon?

Take for example the greataxe and the spear.

Greataxe:
Slashing 1d12
Piercing 1d4
Bludgeoning 1d6

Spear:
Slashing 1d4
Piercing 1d8
Bludgeoning 1d6

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-06, 01:33 PM
More weapons usable at multiple ranges.
A combat system that makes it so if I send a military unit after the PCs it doesn't have to be 5 levels lower than them to avoid killing one.

Squash Monster
2008-03-06, 01:49 PM
8) Default rules for climbing monsters. Because at some point, somebody's going to want to climb up the Tarrasque.

RandomLunatic
2008-03-06, 01:52 PM
9) Basic comprehension of the PHB is requiredi n order to play.

For a couple ofp layers in my current group, I have to explain how initiative works. How attack rolls work. How damage rolls work. How spellcasting works. Every. Single. Session.:furious:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-06, 01:52 PM
DC for appropiate "terrain" + (CON + DEX)/2 + modifiers appeared somewhere and seems to work somewhat.

valadil
2008-03-06, 02:39 PM
10) Something to trump tumble.

11) More than 10 HP to go from 0 to dead for high con characters.

Also, I disagree with ranged combat getting an initiative bonus. Even though combat rounds are 6 seconds you are moving and shooting constantly. It's just that at low levels you have 1 chance to land a blow over the course of 6 seconds. If the archer loses initiative, he probably did take some shots while the other guy charged, they just missed and aren't rolled. Aside from that, archers are dex based and therefore more likely to have high initiative anyway.

Baxbart
2008-03-06, 02:42 PM

For a couple ofp layers in my current group, I have to explain how initiative works. How attack rolls work. How damage rolls work. How spellcasting works. Every. Single. Session.:furious:

Hehehe....

Try doing that for nearly 10 years. I don't know how my players do it... but half of them still don't have the slightest clue what they're doing.

Frosty
2008-03-06, 02:43 PM
10) Something to trump tumble.

11) More than 10 HP to go from 0 to dead for high con characters.

10 is already addressed in 3.0 with the Knight or the Crusader.
11 will be addressed in 4.0, and there has already been an article on it I believe.

valadil
2008-03-06, 03:24 PM
10 is already addressed in 3.0 with the Knight or the Crusader.

I meant something anyone could do. Like a resist tumble roll. As it is, sufficiently high tumble avoids attacks of opportunity, but a couple classes (which I've never even seen played) can stop it entirely? Why not just go back to rock paper scissor?

ashmanonar
2008-03-06, 03:31 PM

Indeed. That gets annoying fast.

Nohwl
2008-03-06, 03:31 PM
there should be a rule saying i can overrule the DM.

Frosty
2008-03-06, 03:38 PM
I meant something anyone could do. Like a resist tumble roll. As it is, sufficiently high tumble avoids attacks of opportunity, but a couple classes (which I've never even seen played) can stop it entirely? Why not just go back to rock paper scissor?

Knights make it so the Tumble DC goes up by the number of Knight levels the character has.

The Crusader has a stance that makes *all* movement provoke AoOs.

bugsysservant
2008-03-06, 03:48 PM
12. (I think) Few or no flat skill DCs, ESPECIALLY not when other people are involved. Someone brought up tumble, and diplomacy is famous, but ultimately the concept of a flat DC is pretty shaky.

13. More differentiation in weapon choice. Because there are really only a few weapons that really work well. You can go greatsword, spiked chain, and maybe a few more, but there should really be more to weapons than one that is indisputably "best"

14. Non Level based casting. Here is where I will probably be stoned, but I actually really like the idea behind epic level casting, just not its obscenely broken implementation. I would really like to see a system of spell casting based on skill checks, with a certain skill cap per level. You could run metamagic by having it increase the DC. Now people will probably point out a dozen things wrong with this, but I still think that it would be a really cool thing to have if done properly. Also, it would get rid of the "You took a level. Suddenly you know 200 more spells overnight!" Since it would be more gradual.

BRC
2008-03-06, 03:52 PM
12. (I think) Few or no flat skill DCs, ESPECIALLY not when other people are involved. Someone brought up tumble, and diplomacy is famous, but ultimately the concept of a flat DC is pretty shaky.

13. More differentiation in weapon choice. Because there are really only a few weapons that really work well. You can go greatsword, spiked chain, and maybe a few more, but there should really be more to weapons than one that is indisputably "best"

14. Non Level based casting. Here is where I will probably be stoned, but I actually really like the idea behind epic level casting, just not its obscenely broken implementation. I would really like to see a system of spell casting based on skill checks, with a certain skill cap per level. You could run metamagic by having it increase the DC. Now people will probably point out a dozen things wrong with this, but I still think that it would be a really cool thing to have if done properly. Also, it would get rid of the "You took a level. Suddenly you know 200 more spells overnight!" Since it would be more gradual.

Flat Skill DC's: Are okay for some checks, with bonuses for getting above (With the Craft Check, you score above the DC and end up making the sword faster or wasting less metal then you thought, saving some money).
Weapon Differentation: I agree, A Greatsword should not be as easy to wield as a Shortsword.
Non-Level Based Casting: yesplease, In shadowrun you used a skill to cast spells which affected the spells effect and succsess. It's not easy getting the laws of physics to sit down and shut up.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-03-06, 03:54 PM
As I've discussed at length elsewhere, I'd like to see weapons go one way or the other. Either make them all the same, or make the choice something other than "good weapon or less good weapon".

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-06, 03:57 PM
Seems like 4e finally decided to go somewhere with that. Wether it's an abominable monstrosity or teh goodzorz, we'll know soon.

BRC
2008-03-06, 03:58 PM
A link between Succsess and effect. Right now they are seperate, sucsess is Pass/fail and effect is independant of how well you succeeded. Example, attack roll, you stab somebody with a spear, whether you barely hit them (1 over their AC) or hit them solidly ( 10 above their AC) has no effect on the damage you deal.

Indon
2008-03-06, 03:59 PM
Spekaing of which, the ability to create combat actions on the fly. Like using one of the tarrasque's barbs to get on top of it and execute a diving kick.

Yeah, a good combat stunt system'd be nice.

Other than that, there's not much I'd ask of 3.x D&D.

Frosty
2008-03-06, 04:01 PM

I think Truenamers already do this somewhat.

Indon
2008-03-06, 04:07 PM

Yeah, a good combat stunt system'd be nice.

Other than that, there's not much I'd ask of 3.x D&D.

Emperor Tippy
2008-03-06, 04:17 PM
I think Truenamers already do this somewhat.

Yes but Truenamers suck. They have great flavor and were a good idea but they just suck.

ryuteki
2008-03-06, 05:48 PM
I'd love to see rules for chasing down a runner (or running together in a pack) that actually make sense. Initiative and turn-based movement are anathema to these two concepts, so having a tested overlay set of "chase rules" would be great. You would basically shift from a static terrain map to a "chase grid" in which position tests and relative movement would be the important determiner, I'd think. Right now, it's possible to place a transparent square barrier 30' on each side, and have two people without Reach who both move 30' NEVER able to catch one another. ...the barrier doesn't need to be transparent of course, but transparency provides absolute positioning knowledge and therefore prevents the ambush argument. :P

Irreverent Fool
2008-03-06, 06:00 PM
Maybe you are a realist...maybe you prefer verisimilitude...but there must be some rules you wish existed.

I am hoping to compile a list that I can peruse an think about adding in to enhance my games. Join In!

1) Initiative Bonus to Ranged Weapons
- all things being equal by core RAW twin brothers 40' away from each other with weapons drawn (spear for one and a drawn and notched crossbow to the other) in a duel to first blood....Half the time the spearman can charge 40' and try to impale the second BEFORE the crossbow weilder can twitch a finger. I have always thought most ranged weapons should have an inherent initiative boost.

In ancient times, anyone with a missile weapon ready fired before anyone could engage in melee. Many miniature wargames still have this rule, but D&D no longer does. My siblings and I busted out the "D&D Basic Set" (which was meant as an intro to AD&D the other day and found this quaint rule. Essentially, anyone with a ranged weapon gets a 'surprise round'.

The downside? You can't fire into melee. Ever.

Parvum
2008-03-06, 07:24 PM
15. No more level adjustment, with LA buyback replaced with HD buyback.

16. Humans have a level adjustment of +3.

EvilElitest
2008-03-06, 07:26 PM
Balanced classes and uses for all of them

An economy system that works
from
EE

DrizztFan24
2008-03-06, 07:42 PM
16. Humans have a level adjustment of +3.

Why? so there are fewer of them running around swinging pointy sticks?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-06, 07:47 PM
An extra feat is widely regarded as the most powerful racial ability.

FlyMolo
2008-03-06, 07:52 PM
An extra feat is widely regarded as the most powerful racial ability.
Rule 17) A way to stop power creep.

Because seriously, folks. Alertness is never taken by PC characters. Other feats are just better. Bladeproof skin, for example. DR 3/bludgeoning versus +2 to spot and listen? DR, please. By about a thousand miles. And that's not even the worst example.

And the reason truenamers had such a good idea but sucked was because of power creep. They tried to fight it.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-06, 07:56 PM
Heck, they would have been comparable if they would have been able to get 2 ranks per point invested.

Benejeseret
2008-03-07, 12:46 AM
18) Craft rules that actually work within an average game time-window. With the right DM and an understanding about all things it is not bad.

19) One, easy to follow, DC increase with skill/level poisons ruleset.

20) Better guidelines for making, setting up, and using traps within short timeframes (without including the aforementioned craft problem).

"Ahhh! Orcs are rushing the gates....quick, make a rock-falling trap."
DM-"OK, roll a dice...add craft....so, in one week it will be ready"

Serenity
2008-03-07, 01:29 AM
Edge of Anarchy, the first book in Pathfinder's latest AP Curse of the Crimson Throne has a totally kickass system for resolving a chase.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-07, 01:41 AM
A few counter points:

#1- Someone mentioned that you are considered to 'be always firing, and an attack just represents your chances for a good shot to land". This does not work. For one, crossbows pretty explicitly fire once/rnd, as they have reload times. Secondly, that entire rational works for melee, but not for ranged, becaue every ranged weapon has to be reloaded, and you keep track of ammunition -a pretty clear indicator of # of shots fired.

#2- There have been a few systems that used skill based magic, and they have all broken down somewhere or another. It is really difficult to balance spells with skill DCs. I think a skill-trick style of skill based magic would be neat, though.

ShadowSiege
2008-03-07, 01:53 AM
I definitely second Bene's craft rules desire. In regards to fast trapmaking, one book has rules for booby traps that take a 1 minute craft time. I want to say it was Races of the Dragon, in the Kobold section.

I'd like to see a complete stunt system, a'la Exalted. Getting bonuses to help accomplish awesome stuff is great.

It looks like climbing monsters may be possible in 4e (Climb vs Reflex perhaps? Or Str/Dex vs Reflex?). Make the check every round as a move action and it gives you combat advantage for your standard action. Shadow of the Colossus was an awesome example of how great this could be, though frustration overtook the fun of it all eventually.

My contribution:
#20 - A system for building custom classes that is broader than the Unearthed Arcana generic classes variant. BESM d20 came did it with a point system, I'd like to see Wizards do it.

Kekken
2008-03-07, 02:04 AM
A link between Succsess and effect. Right now they are seperate, sucsess is Pass/fail and effect is independant of how well you succeeded. Example, attack roll, you stab somebody with a spear, whether you barely hit them (1 over their AC) or hit them solidly ( 10 above their AC) has no effect on the damage you deal.

This is the precise reason I made my Accuracy bonus to damage house rule, wherein the difference between a successful attack roll and the AC of the target is added to the damage roll. It seems to be working out pretty good. For one thing, it means that finnesse based fighters don't feel totally useless.

shadowdemon_lord
2008-03-07, 02:38 AM
That sounds a lot like...3.0 power attack. That makes two weapon fighters, archers, sword and board fighters, and finesse fighters a lot more powerful, while still leaving in place 2-handed power attack cheese. Of course, that also makes those monsters that tend to have obscene attack scores (giants anyone?), and make them even more deadly. All in all, I like that fix. Then again, I've always thought finesse should change over weapon damage to dexterity too.

21. High level rules that didn't make the (under equipped for WBL) wizard cohort more powerful then all the fully equipped none full caster PC's of two levels higher.

Funkyodor
2008-03-07, 02:56 AM
(Already Mentioned) Replacing the critical system with something determined by how well you hit the target, instead of a flat 5-15% chance per swing. (Previously recommended and I whole heartedly approve.) Change a natural 20 to a second attack, or duplicate spell cast at the same target if the caster has another memorized.

(Already Mentioned) Adding a circumstance penalty to Tumble based on the attack bonus of the enemy you are tumbling past.

22. Incorporate multiple attacks into an initiative order thing, but this will problably just add confusion as one person will charge in, then a second person will shoot a bow, then back to the first person for his offhand attack, then over to this orc and his buddy, then back to first person for final swing, then the Wizard and his spell, then over to the second person for his second shot... I guess this is more of a home-brew step as opposed to a rule addition.

23. (If the above isn't entered...)Adding a rule addendum to TWF & Flurry stating that users can take primary and offhand swings as a standard action, or maybe the second swing being -5 initiative or whatever.

(Already Mentioned) Crafting... No variables, no rolling, no taking 10's or taking 20's. Ranks determine what can be made and Rank+Bonus' determine quality/time. Reduce the DC's accordingly.

Kurald Galain
2008-03-07, 04:18 AM
Change a natural 20 to a second attack,

By present rules, a natural 20 effectively is a second attack already: you threaten, which means you get to confirm it with an attack roll and if you make it, you do twice the damage. Yes, it's tweaked a bit beyond that, but the basis of "confirm for extra damage" is exactly the same as "make an extra attack".

Khanderas
2008-03-07, 04:26 AM
System where poison has a point.

Something to keep commoners from dying to housecats.

Orzel
2008-03-07, 04:28 AM
21- buff limits

No mo' waking around with 15 spells casted on you and wearing 10 magic items.

My friend made large amount of buffs give a penalty and we buffed a dragon 'until it got "accelerated magic cancer" and died. Good times.

JBento
2008-03-07, 06:12 AM
I'd like to point out that "ranged ttacker getting a free shot" is somewhat unrealistical. IRL, there's a certain range (can't remeber how much, though), cosnidered a dead-zone for gunmen - it's the range a trained combat-knife-wielder can sprint and gut you before the gunman has a chance to point an shoot

F.L.
2008-03-07, 06:21 AM
There's no such thing as a rule you wish existed, there are only houserules.

Armar
2008-03-07, 07:13 AM
I'd like to point out that "ranged ttacker getting a free shot" is somewhat unrealistical. IRL, there's a certain range (can't remeber how much, though), cosnidered a dead-zone for gunmen - it's the range a trained combat-knife-wielder can sprint and gut you before the gunman has a chance to point an shoot

And in this case where the knife-wielder has his knife out and the bowman has his crossbow out, with the crossbow already ready and notched, that deadzone is equal to the maximum distance that the knife-wielder can move in the time it takes for the crossbowman to press the trigger. I'd guess it'd be around 1 feet, since the knife-wielder has to start from stand-still. Which is a lot less than 40'.

JBento
2008-03-07, 07:16 AM
Not really. The gun is, per definition, is already ready and notched. It isn't however, already aimed.

Saph
2008-03-07, 07:36 AM
I can't actually think of any specific ones. At least, none that regularly cause problems in our group.

What I'd really like is some way to speed up mid- to high-level combat, since that's the only major problem I have with D&D. But I'm not sure how to do that without massively cutting down on the players' options (which would take away much of the fun of playing D&D in the first place).

- Saph

kingpocky
2008-03-07, 11:30 AM
22. Expanded rules for coup de grace. How many times have you seen in movies where the bad guy grabs an innocent hostage and holds a dagger to their throat? There should be at least some way to model that.

Benejeseret
2008-03-07, 11:43 AM
JBento

Just to clear my point, I am not saying ranged should get a free shot, nor an auto-win initiative....just a initiative boost to the roll (increased chance).

Also, the dead zone you are referring to regard the DRAWING, aiming and firing before a knife wielder guts you and I believe it is around 20'. Drawing is important.

If the crossbow is equipped, loaded and even aimed at the attacker (not readied...why not I don't know) the 40' away knife can still move 40' and get to swing first half the time.

Obviously this would be situational as if they started side-by-side the ranged would have no movement delay to act in.

Bene

Hunter Noventa
2008-03-07, 11:47 AM
I think a decent compromise to defeat tumble is to merely make their AC against the AoO get a bonus equal to how much they defeat the tumble check by. And probably increase the DC based ont he skill of the opponent in some way, perhaps off of their BaB.

Indon
2008-03-07, 12:36 PM
There's no such thing as a rule you wish existed, there are only houserules.

There is no way I am houseruling a stunt system into 3.5 D&D from scratch.

It is a rule I wish existed in the system.

valadil
2008-03-07, 12:54 PM
Several people have mentioned a desire for weapons with more depth. I'd like to expand that to get armor that is more interesting. As it is, there is an optimal set of armor for each weight. It's just a matter of picking light, medium, or heavy and buying the best you can. The only time anyone ever uses half plate is in a low level bean counting game where full plate is too expensive.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-07, 04:15 PM
PRCs augment the base class abilities not supercede them and they do not change base HD, BABs, Skill Points or Save Progressions unless it was a special class specific PRC specifically designed to do that (Like the Abjurant Champion or Slayer) PRC.

Any class could be a Master Investigator or Extreme Explorer for example but the PC would use the base class HD, BAB, Skill Points and Saves.

Limit PRC dipping by applying the multiclassing rules to PRC levels.

Yakk
2008-03-07, 04:35 PM
Folks: drawn and aimed crossbows is what "ready an action" would mean in this context.

So... the crossbow user goes first. :)

NEO|Phyte
2008-03-07, 04:41 PM
Folks: drawn and aimed crossbows is what "ready an action" would mean in this context.

So... the crossbow user goes first. :)

Only you can't ready an action until its initiative time. (barring certain PrC abilities)

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-07, 04:44 PM
Not a rule, but I wish companies understood what was useful and what wasn't when giving advice. Every time I see a WotC book that advocates Dodge, I want to scream.

Spiryt
2008-03-07, 04:49 PM
Only you can't ready an action until its initiative time. (barring certain PrC abilities)

So if enemy won initiative, you are surprised and can't react (shot).

Cybren
2008-03-07, 05:03 PM
Well written supplements on the DM side denoting things like real world economic and social systems from the Hellenic period to the renaissance, an internally consistent setting and game mechanics that can can be adjusted to fit a setting, rather than all settings being attempts at shoehorning the game mechanics into them.

Rules for warfare and pitched battles that factor logistics of raising, supplying, and leading an army, rules for using the army, sieging castles, razing cities, and driving your enemies before you, and hearing the lamentations of their women.

Fostire
2008-03-07, 05:07 PM
This is the precise reason I made my Accuracy bonus to damage house rule, wherein the difference between a successful attack roll and the AC of the target is added to the damage roll. It seems to be working out pretty good. For one thing, it means that finnesse based fighters don't feel totally useless.

Wouldn't that make power attack kinda useless?

Dan_Hemmens
2008-03-07, 07:25 PM

It was quoted as 21 feet in an episode of Bones, but that's specifically how far a knife-man can get in the time it takes for you to draw, aim, and fire a gun.

If you're pointing it at somebody, if they're out of reach you've basically got them, it's you pulling the trigger before they can cover the distance, which is trivial.

Yakk
2008-03-07, 09:24 PM

Then you where not aware that your opponent was about to attack you, and you where not aiming your crossbow at them.

Benejeseret
2008-03-07, 09:34 PM
Rule 22)? I reasonable spell component list, cost, difficulty finding. Because really, who keeps track of those things?

((just to kick the ranged initiative a bit more....we're not talking about surprise, I am pointing out that in a duel starting 40' or even 60' apart one man has a knife the other a crossbow and they are equal in all stats, classes etc...

Someone yells, "Go". So, Neither is surprised at all, fully aware of what's going down. But the knife-man finds the time to run 60' across an open arena and swing at the xbow holder and Half The Time (equal opposed rolls) he will do all of that before the xbow holder can move one finger 1/2".

And saying that normally a ranged user has dex as higher stat balances does not work at all because the stat changes are equally 'balanced' (if point buy) to begin with (ie. trying to say that is a cop-out)

I just think a situational bonus to Initiative would make sense mechanically, situationally, fluff-wise, and logic wise.

And a xbow that is drawn and loaded is not auto-readied...but it could or should be...it is wielded just like a sword is not auto-readied to swing.))

Swordguy
2008-03-07, 09:37 PM
An explicit rule where I as the DM am allowed, free of any sort of criminal or civil charges, to punch somebody once in the groin as hard as I can when they come to the table with the intention of "breaking my game" or "winning" D&D.

kpenguin
2008-03-07, 09:41 PM
An economy system that works

The real world has failed at this with real things. What makes you think a bunch of game designers could succeed with a fantasy world?

NEO|Phyte
2008-03-07, 09:43 PM
Then you where not aware that your opponent was about to attack you, and you where not aiming your crossbow at them.
No, you're fully aware of them, and your crossbow is aimed, but you cannot ready an action until initiative has been rolled and its your turn. It takes a PrC to be able to ready an action outside of combat. That is how the rules work.

Swordguy
2008-03-07, 09:45 PM
The real world has failed at this with real things. What makes you think a bunch of game designers could succeed with a fantasy world?

The economy works. It's simply not the definition of "work" that you want. :smallbiggrin:

Overlord
2008-03-07, 09:50 PM
3) The ability to physically interact with a large or bigger foe other than 'Grapple'.

I'll second this.

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/490849/images/465.jpg

I should be able to do that to dragons.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-07, 09:57 PM
I'll second this.

http://guidesmedia.ign.com/guides/490849/images/465.jpg

I should be able to do that to dragons.Yeah, why? (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1235)

Rutee
2008-03-07, 10:27 PM
That's why I houserule stunts into DnD. I see no reason to penalize players for doing cool things, and that's pretty much what happens by the system.

shadowdemon_lord
2008-03-08, 12:56 AM
I'd like to see rules for a character who looked drop dead gorgeous, but was a total jackass, y'know cumliness. Charisma as it is, currently encompassing both physical appearance and social grace just doesn't make any damn sense.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-08, 01:30 AM
If you start subdividing the attributes until they make sense, you end up with 18+, trust me (This happened when I created my homebrew system). Not that that's a bad thing in my opinion, but a lot of players have a fit with that many stats to worry about.

*looks up his old homebrew notes*

Oh, my mistake. It's 15, not 18. 5 Physical stats, 5 mental stats, and 5 mystical stats.

And it was a dice pool game too.

I think I like more complication in my systems than most people ;)

LibraryOgre
2008-03-08, 02:53 AM
Rule 17) A way to stop power creep.

Because seriously, folks. Alertness is never taken by PC characters. Other feats are just better. Bladeproof skin, for example. DR 3/bludgeoning versus +2 to spot and listen? DR, please. By about a thousand miles. And that's not even the worst example.

And the reason truenamers had such a good idea but sucked was because of power creep. They tried to fight it.

I actually talked about this in a blog post (http://rpg-crank.livejournal.com/12868.html) a while ago.

Diamondeye
2008-03-08, 02:53 AM
In regards to the thing about stabbing someone before they shoot you, the rule for training is 21 feet: Inside that distance a person with a knife already drawn will be able to charge and stab a person with a handgun in a holster before the handgun user can draw, aim and fire.

Some schools of thought expand this to 30 feet, since testing that established the rule always occured where the person with the gun was fully aware of what was happening, obviously because it was a test situation. Some holsters are also more difficult to draw from; triple retention holsters are a major pain. However, the dead zone can also be reduced by certain techniques; for example simply pulling the gun out and locking it against the hip and shooting into the person's gut as they get to the point where accuracy is no longer an issue.

None of this is really good for crossbow analogies because crossbows aren't carried in holsters and require 2 hands to use; it might work for hand crossbows.

I really would like to see some sort of weapon speed rules though, since some weapons are just inferior with no real reason to choose them; that might be a good way to differentiate them further.

I'd also like to see a WBL table that didn't progress at a compunded percentage and thereby get ridiculous at higher levels, AND a clear statement that it's a DM guideline, not a rule, AND a clear statement explaining that just because there's a price listed for an item doesn't mean you can just go buy it. There's a price for an aircraft carrier too, but you can't just go pick one up if you have a few billion to play with.

Emperor Tippy
2008-03-08, 03:18 AM
There's a price for an aircraft carrier too, but you can't just go pick one up if you have a few billion to play with.
Actually you could. Well at least a fair approximation of one. The hardest part would be the nuclear reactor but you could go oil powered I suppose.

Nothing is stopping you from ordering a custom boat the exact size and shape of an aircraft carrier. Now you couldn't get all of the nice toys like military grade radar, AA defenses, nukes, etc. but you could get an aircraft carrier if you were willing to pay enough.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-08, 03:20 AM
Actually you could. Well at least a fair approximation of one. The hardest part would be the nuclear reactor but you could go oil powered I suppose.

Nothing is stopping you from ordering a custom boat the exact size and shape of an aircraft carrier. Now you couldn't get all of the nice toys like military grade radar, AA defenses, nukes, etc. but you could get an aircraft carrier if you were willing to pay enough.Not in America, but if you are willing to travel and use subcontractors you could probably get close even on the weapons systems if you have enough money.

Child Conscript
2008-03-08, 03:26 AM
Ahhh. . .What would you use an aircraft carrier for anyway?

Rutee
2008-03-08, 03:27 AM

Nothing is stopping you from ordering a custom boat the exact size and shape of an aircraft carrier. Now you couldn't get all of the nice toys like military grade radar, AA defenses, nukes, etc. but you could get an aircraft carrier if you were willing to pay enough.

Expertise. A lot of the specifics of an Aircraft carrier's design should be guarded, because they're still military technology. Sure, you could probably get a prety bote with a big flat deck, but it wouldn't have the fancy elevators for quickly taking in and storing aircraft, for instance.

Swordguy
2008-03-08, 03:30 AM

Heh. Nice thought, but nobody in the US has the slips to build a ship anywhere NEAR the size of an aircraft carrier (assuming you mean a Nimitz or Enterprise-class) but Newport News...and they do all their work via the government. So no, you couldn't just go out and build a ship, or even have one commissioned, without a large amount of travel (read: adventure) and pain in the butt.

Oh, and steam catapults are a government-only thing. Since they're what make an aircraft carrier possible...

That, I think, is the point. You really CAN'T just go out and buy a huge-ticket item. There are hoops to jump through, which is entirely unlike the current "magic item emporium" paradigm that 3rd edition has been famous for.

Diamondeye
2008-03-08, 04:47 AM

Well, yes, you could order a ship the size and shape of a carrier... if there were someone to order it from. There's only one place that builds aircraft carriers for the U.S.: Newport News, Virginia, and I doubt very much they'll stop work on the U.S.S. Gerald Ford to work on your ship.

The builders of the under-construction French and British carriers are similarly unlikely to accomadate you.

The point was that expensive magic items that require highly specialized skills to build. I used the aircraft carrier as a form of overstatement to make the point clear, but the long and the short of it is that the craft magic item feats and the costs to manufacture them are a fast way of describing a process that, like building a carrier, is involved, expensive, and may not be feasiable if you can't find someone with the right skills who is willing to do it.

Unfortunately, the magic item creation and wealth by level systems create an impression that you simply but gold in the item creator, have someone with the right feat press the button, and *poof* out comes your new item.

I think the writers assumed when they wrote the rules that DMs would make characters go through quests like Roy getting the Starmetal, and just included enough rules to quantify the result, but they accidentally created an impression that there were warehouses of magic items waiting for buyers, or that it was as simple as custom-ordering a Harley from the factory.

Kizara
2008-03-08, 05:32 AM
RE: Wanting better Tumble rules.

My work:

Tumble:

When you attempt to tumble in combat to avoid an Attack of Opportunity, your tumble check is opposed by your opponent’s attack roll. Essentially, you still provoke but your tumble check serves as your AC. Your opponent must still hit your normal AC to hit you.

Also, Mobility grants you a +4 bonus to your Tumble check. (basically doing what it used to, just making it compatible with the skill change).

kamikasei
2008-03-08, 06:46 AM
Ahhh. . .What would you use an aircraft carrier for anyway?

>.> ... <.< ...

Carrying aircraft?

Kekken
2008-03-08, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't that make power attack kinda useless?

Yes, yes it would; which is why I also changed what Power Attack does.

Now, it simply increases the Str bonus to damage by a step.

A 1 handed weapon now adds x1.5 str, a two hander adds x2 str, and an offhander adds x1 str.

Also, because this houserule makes both high attack devastating and high AC a must, I was also inspired to remove the 20 auto hitting and the 1 auto missing rule.

It seems to be working quite well in play...

Kekken
2008-03-08, 11:50 AM
I'd love to see some sort of rule for combat fatigue. Swinging a bloody great sword around while encased head to toe in plate must get pretty tiring after a while...

Benejeseret
2008-03-08, 01:04 PM
25?) Better Time Continuity.

One battle royal might take 1 min in game but 2 hours RL, then the next scene the PC's explore out of combat for in game 4 hours and this passes in 2 min RL.

This might mean shortening/streamlining combat or (preferred) pumping up out of combat rules and organization to make it more than a series of skill checks.

Bene

Yakk
2008-03-08, 02:17 PM
No, you're fully aware of them, and your crossbow is aimed, but you cannot ready an action until initiative has been rolled and its your turn. It takes a PrC to be able to ready an action outside of combat. That is how the rules work.

No, the rules are that you cannot aim a crossbow until it is your turn. Or, more accurately, there are no rules for aiming a crossbow out of combat.

To put it another way: could the user of the crossbow have lifted the bow, aimed, and shot before the "official" beginning of the duel? Then how exactly had combat not begun already?

If both have their weapons in their hands without aiming, and neither acted aggressively towards each other, waiting for combat to begin: that is non-combat.

Taking a weapon and holding it to someone's throat, aiming a crossbow at them, or other similar actions: that is an attempt to seize the initiative.

Blanks
2008-03-08, 05:12 PM
rule XX)
I hate the 6 second combat round

A really epic battle will last at most 2 minutes. How is that epic? Give me half an hour of people hacking each other to bits and ill be happy :)

EDIT:
Spelling