PDA

View Full Version : WAR online

Theork
2008-03-06, 04:37 PM
Well it looks like a Warhammer version of WoW. Just wonderring if any of you others would be intrested or any comments you have.
It has no set release date as of yet but here's a link to a web page that keeps you updated:

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php

Oh, and watch the cinematic trailer!
Waaagh!

Hermit
2008-03-06, 04:40 PM
Previous thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65762)
Not been added to in a while, mind.

Will be playing Dwarf on release. Greenskins shall die.

Dragor
2008-03-07, 01:04 PM
Yeah, my old thread pretty much died. Ah well, here's a new one, let's make use of it.

Not many updates of late, and I'm still wondering when the last High Elf class is going to be announced.

Oh, and WAR's been slated for a Q2 release- so that's April, May or June. I'd put my money on it being pushed back- but June if we're lucky.

sickler
2008-03-07, 03:03 PM
Will be playing Dwarf on release. Greenskins shall die.
Black Orc smash stuntie!

Revlid
2008-03-07, 06:09 PM
Marauder.
Crab-claw-arms for all!
In fact, Crab-arms for all!

Theork
2008-03-08, 02:39 PM
"Only clans can capture forts"

We should so make a clan and capture our own fort!

I wonder if the game will be like WoW?
Like you have to pay to play and can have more than one character.

Xefas
2008-03-08, 03:27 PM
"Only clans can capture forts"

We should so make a clan and capture our own fort!

I wonder if the game will be like WoW?
Like you have to pay to play and can have more than one character.

Yes, you have to pay to play. The final amount hasn't been disclosed yet. You will be able to make multiple characters.

It will be 10,000 times better than WoW, however, if they actually implement everything they've spoken about implementing.

Alpharius
2008-03-09, 09:17 AM
I signed for the Beta tests... only a matter of time now...

Dethcom1
2008-03-09, 09:27 AM
Mmm, large scale PvP.

I heard tell in one of the earlier Grab Bags that the fee would be about 15 US dollars. They justified it by saying that it was only the price of a movie ticket, medium popcorn and soda in New York (although they didn't really need to justify anything - I'd rather have a normal MMORPG than Guild Wars (no offense meant to Guild Wars fans, but I felt it was a slightly less multiplayer-centric game than Diablo II's battle.net)).

Witch hunter for the win!

Alpharius
2008-03-09, 09:59 AM
I think shadow warrior looks cool. I want to know if they can actually have a skill that lets them go invisible.

Studoku
2008-03-09, 10:08 AM
I think it looks great. If it is everything it says it is, it'll be WoW with most of the problems fixed. Especially since it's balanced around PvP.

The only problem is that the Greenskins team will probably be full of 12 year-old morons who think teamwork means the enemy is attacking someone else.

DarkCorax
2008-03-09, 10:17 AM
I'll probably be playing Dwarf on Release, and it's closer to DAoC than WoW, some of the Diehards would kill you if you compared WAR to WoW :smalltongue:. Also: There is a Beta. I am in the Beta. :smallwink: Now if only I could get it to last longer than 10mins on this hunk of junk -_-.

Theork
2008-03-09, 10:21 AM
I signed up for Beta but havn't got in yet.
Stus idea of Ork teamwork is great! Imagine 2 black orcs taking the brunt of the attacks (which they can do), whilst the Goblin Shaman 'fist of gorks' the goo out of any attackers and the squig herder fires in arrows along with his huge attack squig.

As for beta;

Mytimewillcome,mytimewillcome,mytimewillcome...... ..

Destro_Yersul
2008-03-09, 11:15 AM
*twitch* you do not compare Warhammer to Warcraft. It is the other way around. Warhammer came first. See this comic. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/04/10) *twitch*

With die-hard GW fanboyishness out of the way, I am playing chaos. I don't care what it costs per month. I'll pay it. It'll be cheaper than the plastic, at any rate. I plan to have a Magus and a Chosen. The trophy system looks awesome, and though every power gamer everywhere died a little when it was announced that trophies don't have stats, I think that'll go a long way to making them more about looking cool.

I like the keep system as well. NPC guards hanging around makes it at least challenging to yoink a keep when no-one is looking, and it certainly means you can't run around at 4AM soloing the things.

Hermit
2008-03-09, 01:50 PM
With die-hard GW fanboyishness out of the way, I am playing chaos. I don't care what it costs per month. I'll pay it. It'll be cheaper than the plastic, at any rate. I plan to have a Magus and a Chosen. The trophy system looks awesome, and though every power gamer everywhere died a little when it was announced that trophies don't have stats, I think that'll go a long way to making them more about looking cool.

I'm really glad they don't have stats actually. Makes the focus about customisation and looking cool, rather than "My severed head of +4strength looks cool, but sadly I now have to swap it out for this Lucky Pink Rabbit's Foot of +8agility".

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-03-09, 07:41 PM
I played beta, it was very nice but only had like 3 races. They have gender specific classes.

Xefas
2008-03-09, 07:55 PM
They have gender specific classes.

I'm really glad that Mythic is adhering to the Warhammer lore for the most part. They're allowing male dark elves to become sorcerers, which is a blow to the fluff if I recall correctly, but at least they're staying with the big things like keeping Orks genderless. Having feminine looking Orks running around would be lame.

Mr._Blinky
2008-03-09, 09:38 PM
The only problem is that the Greenskins team will probably be full of 12 year-old morons who think teamwork means the enemy is attacking someone else.

Isn't that how Greenskins should be?

Destro_Yersul
2008-03-10, 08:27 AM
Male Dark elves are allowed magic sometimes. Malekith is called the Witch King for a reason, after all. They did have GW breathing down their necks for the entire process, pretty much, so I expect anything fluff related has been ok'd by GW.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-03-10, 08:06 PM
Yeah, i couldn't play as orks. Was i not supposed to or what?

BloodyAngel
2008-03-11, 12:59 AM
:smallbiggrin: I am very much looking forward to WAR... and I will be all over the Druchii. (Dark Elves, for you lesser beings) My boy got me into warhammer years back, and I have a real fondness for the dark elves. Though I'll probably try most of the classes and races... save the dwarves... whom I hate with the undying passion of a thousand suns... I'll mostly be on the side of destruction though. Evil will always win... because good is dumb.

Studoku
2008-03-11, 07:28 AM
Isn't that how Greenskins should be?

Only if I get to be a black orc who can hurt people who don't obey me.

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-11, 08:07 AM
I've heard some encouraging things, but nearly every MMORPG I've played has been a bit of a let down.

That being said, I like the idea of a Marauder.

Leper_Kahn
2008-03-11, 01:32 PM
We should all join the same server when it comes out!

Demented
2008-03-11, 05:33 PM
I just signed up for the closed beta test.
More so to annoy and confuse whoever picks beta testers, rather than to actually get in. I'm not that fond of MMOs, though I do love beta testing.

Xefas
2008-03-11, 05:39 PM
Only if I get to be a black orc who can hurt people who don't obey me.

I heard tell of a Black Orc ability that lets you punt your own teammates across the field. It's primarily intended to get them out of harm's way really fast and doesn't deal damage to them/interrupt them, but you might be able to swing it so they get knocked off a high ledge or thrown directly into the enemy melee...

Dunno if it's true. I think it was in an old thread on WAR-RVR.net

leperkhaun
2008-03-15, 03:42 PM
I heard tell of a Black Orc ability that lets you punt your own teammates across the field. It's primarily intended to get them out of harm's way really fast and doesn't deal damage to them/interrupt them, but you might be able to swing it so they get knocked off a high ledge or thrown directly into the enemy melee...

Well for the shaman specifically, the Black orc will be able to toss them over thier head and behind them (at least thats the latest info i have).

anyway, i plan on playing a chosen. I am kinda pissed not all the gods are represented....but ehhh.

anyone for starting a guild or some such?

Eita
2008-03-15, 04:29 PM
:smallbiggrin: I am very much looking forward to WAR... and I will be all over the Druchii. (Dark Elves, for you lesser beings) My boy got me into warhammer years back, and I have a real fondness for the dark elves. Though I'll probably try most of the classes and races... save the dwarves... whom I hate with the undying passion of a thousand suns... I'll mostly be on the side of destruction though. Evil will always win... because good is dumb.

This is Warhammer though, where Good is the common definition of Evil.

I'm going to be playing as a Light Mage (that right? The one that does huge amounts of damage) on the side of the Empire. By the Twin-Tailed Comet the Forces of Chaos shall be cleansed!

Xefas
2008-03-15, 07:39 PM
Well for the shaman specifically, the Black orc will be able to toss them over thier head and behind them (at least thats the latest info i have).

anyway, i plan on playing a chosen. I am kinda pissed not all the gods are represented....but ehhh.

anyone for starting a guild or some such?

Only the shaman? That's way too limited. I doubt they would put in an ability that only works on 1/12th of the classes available to you.

Also, I've already committed myself to a guild composed of people I met on WoW. We haven't settled on a name yet, but last I heard the vote was being cast for "Butchers of Slaanesh". Tzeentch restriction be damned :smallannoyed: . If I want to have a Chosen of Slaanesh, no one is going to stop me!

I'm going to be playing as a Light Mage (that right? The one that does huge amounts of damage) on the side of the Empire. By the Twin-Tailed Comet the Forces of Chaos shall be cleansed!

Bright Wizard, actually. Close.

My Chosen will, however, point out that Chaos is the primordial power from which all life sprung, so we can't be cleansed. We're the natural state of being. Everyone else has layered themselves in unnatural sets of moral fallacies and delusions of grandeur to the point where they have forgotten this. If you were smart, you would cast off the heretical mantle of Bright Wizard, and become who you were truly meant to be...a Chaos Magus.

leperkhaun
2008-04-07, 06:40 AM
Also, I've already committed myself to a guild composed of people I met on WoW. We haven't settled on a name yet, but last I heard the vote was being cast for "Butchers of Slaanesh". Tzeentch restriction be damned :smallannoyed: . If I want to have a Chosen of Slaanesh, no one is going to stop me!

Well the devs have said that with the dye system you can dye your chosens armor to give it the general colors for the other gods. The armor will still have the Tzeentch heraldry on it, but no reason you cant have your entire guild with those colors and be for Slaanesh.

Anyway, anyone else starting a destruction guild? Im looking for some people to play with.

Studoku
2008-04-11, 05:52 PM

*Imagines a line of black orcs using this to move a goblin across the entire map and into some conveniently placed lava.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-04-12, 02:39 AM
I'm really looking forward to this game. Going for a squig trainer, and if I can, a Chosen (and possibly a black orc). I'd be up for joining a guild, so long as I get to set my squigs upon the fools who dare stand up to the Green Tide! :smallbiggrin:

Saint George
2008-04-14, 11:41 PM
Well, I cracked. I finally broke down and pre-ordered the collectors edition. The bonuses were just too cool to pass up... I am weak.

Is anyone else doing the same?

Class I am most looking forward to: Goblin Shaman (waaaaagh)

leperkhaun
2008-04-15, 01:18 AM
i bought the CE about 3 seconds after i saw the newsletter. :smallsmile: but then iv been following the game for about 2 years.

When the headstart hits let me know what server you are on. Im planning on playing greenskins too.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-04-15, 07:30 AM
I just wish it was coming out sooner... (or I had gotten in the beta) :smallfrown:

Ranis
2008-04-15, 07:37 AM
Eh, the PvE side will be lacking compared to how the PvP will be. If you want to PvP your little heart out, get Warhammer Online. If not, stick with WoW.

Anyway, someone said that they signed up for the beta tests. As far as I know, the beta test has already happened. :smallmad:

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-04-15, 07:48 AM
Well with MMO's they usually keep the beta up until the game starts and all the beta-testers just start playing the finished game. Although whether you can still join is something I'm unsure of, though I signed up way back when they started asking for beta testers and I haven't gotten in.

ObadiahtheSlim
2008-04-15, 07:50 AM
Me'm gonna be an Ork. Weez gonna smash dem stunties.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-04-15, 08:19 AM
WAAAAAGH!!! Orcs is best!

Probably, anyway. Depends on the mechanics behind the Black Orc and Orc Choppa.
I still think the title should've been abbreviated to WHOAR.

Dragor
2008-04-15, 10:55 AM
If I had enough money, I'd have ordered the CE Edition. For now, I'm wallowing in despair. *wallows*

DarkCorax
2008-04-15, 01:21 PM
Anyway, someone said that they signed up for the beta tests. As far as I know, the beta test has already happened. :smallmad:

Nope, the beta test is still in progress at the moment. I pre-ordered the CE about a week ago.

Saint George
2008-04-15, 08:09 PM
Yes, the beta is still going on. The reason that they ended up pushing the release date back so far was because they wanted to continue the beta. The open beta will be coming a little later when they start doing things like stress testing and whatnot. Their closed beta is very small groups of people doing very specific things with everything else closed off so they can fine tune the gameplay. So, do not worry, lots of beta testing will be there for the rest of us.

And actually, from what I hear the PvE is pretty expansive too. There are lots of areas where you will not be at risk from attack and it sounds like there are plenty of dungeons scattered around the world, even some in the capital cities.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-04-15, 08:16 PM
I just wish I could change some of my information. I mean, when I signed up I said I hadn't had any prior beta testing experience, because I couldn't think of anything at the time. Unfortunately for me "the time" was like 3 freaking AM and I forgot the treasure trove of experience I had :smallmad:

leperkhaun
2008-04-16, 02:36 AM
Eh, the PvE side will be lacking compared to how the PvP will be. If you want to PvP your little heart out, get Warhammer Online. If not, stick with WoW.

Beta is still going on. It was said that the plan is that somewhere 4-8 weeks before release they will open beta. However that does not mean that you can get into beta. It just means that the NDA will be lifted and people with beta codes (who did not get into closed beta) can play in the beta.

Right now besides those already in closed beta it looks like that those in open beta will be CE preorders and contest winners added....which may not seem like much, but there are 60k people in the us and 55k people in the EU to stress test and see how the game does with a large population on a server.

Id probably check out warhammer alliance forums. Im pretty sure the second the NDA is lifted all sorts of new nifty info will be posted.

Anyway are yall planning on playing on RP/core/open server?

if you dont know the types. RP server is a RP server (dotn know if they will have both core and open server types though).

Core - basically it means you can only get attacked in pvp areas
Open - game on, almost no safe areas.

Albub
2008-04-16, 09:11 PM
Open-dizzle, fo' shizzle. If you want to prance about in safe zones, go play a single player RPG. Alternatively, go play on a core server.

Elfanatic
2008-04-18, 08:42 AM
I don't know if anybody else here knows it, but WAR has been delayed again until Fall 2008 due to balance issues.

An article about it here (http://www.gucomics.com/comic/?cdate=20080328).

Bad news:
I will not be able to sack Altdorf for a long time.

Good news:
More time for EA Mythic to release the Collector's Edition in the Netherlands (at the moment unavailable here).

Saint George
2008-04-18, 05:58 PM
Um, welcome to about a month ago? They pushed the game back so they would have time to Beta a little longer. The nice thing is they pushed it back, then released the collectors edition, not the other way around.

Ellimistd
2008-04-18, 08:57 PM
I can't decide weather to do chaos fanatic or goblin shaman. I play O&G in warhammer (well, not much, but a bit) and i had an orc warlock in WoW before I quit... but Tzeentch stuff is just so awesome, and the abilities look really fun... Either way, I'm going for a mix of heal and killy

Ninja Chocobo
2008-04-18, 09:38 PM
Anyway are yall planning on playing on RP/core/open server?
I...don't really know. I mean, I thought PvP in WoW was way better than PvE, but that was before the ganking.

Open - game on, almost no safe areas.
This...is a recipe for ganking. Eh. It depends on stuff, I guess.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-04-18, 10:24 PM
I...don't really know. I mean, I thought PvP in WoW was way better than PvE, but that was before the ganking.

This...is a recipe for ganking. Eh. It depends on stuff, I guess.

Well, Ganking won't be easy with some races. I mean, who would be dumb enough to try and gank an ORC, because yea, that guy is TOTALLY alone, except for you know, that horde of little green "shadows"

Bleen
2008-04-18, 11:06 PM
Dere’z supposed to be a mechanic in-place to keep ’igh-levelz from runnin’ into lowa-tiered zonez an’ gankin’ da ’ell out of everyone, but IDKLOL.

I demand serverz dat is bof Open AND RP, but dose tend not to turn out well anyway. *sigh*

Also, I’s probably goin’ green at da start.

Creeps
2008-04-19, 12:43 AM
The fact that I can't be a Khorne Berserker or a Plague-ridden Nurgle freak bothers me to no end. That alone is keeping me out of the initial release.

I mean, Tzeench? A game based so heavily around PVP/RVR and you didn't choose the god of WAR? ARGH.

However...if it doesn't bomb after release like most mumorpugers, I'll be rolling orc. I guess we'll see.

Destro_Yersul
2008-04-19, 01:33 AM
Put a deposit on the Collector's edition today. This kicks unbelievable amounts of ass, and I am very pleased with myself.

Saint George
2008-04-19, 06:00 PM
The fact that I can't be a Khorne Berserker or a Plague-ridden Nurgle freak bothers me to no end. That alone is keeping me out of the initial release.

I mean, Tzeench? A game based so heavily around PVP/RVR and you didn't choose the god of WAR? ARGH.

However...if it doesn't bomb after release like most mumorpugers, I'll be rolling orc. I guess we'll see.

Yea, I sort of wish the other gods had been included more, but what can you do? They will still be in the game in references and certain area's I believe, but they will not be major players in the world.

http://www.secretlivesofmobs.com/index.php?strip_id=9
I believe that sums up their stance.

As for bombing, I doubt it will. It seems like they have a pretty solid game that addresses many of the problems people have with WoW. So hopefully it should bring a good crowd.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-04-19, 06:06 PM

I would have liked it if you could have chosen what god you wanted to follow, or just go with Undivided, but I'm GLAD they aren't focusing on Khorne. All the 40k games I've seen so far have Chaos that focuses on Khorne, I mean yea he's cool, and he's all about fighting and stuff but, there are OTHER gods you know!

Destro_Yersul
2008-04-20, 10:04 AM
DoW had the Alpha legion as the main enemies, and they're technically undivided.

This doesn't change the fact they went with a bloodthirster for the Daemon, though... :smallannoyed:

Besides, Tzeentch is my favourite Chaos God!

Bleen
2008-04-20, 10:35 AM
At least the Chaos Gods you're wanting are mostly-kosher for a T-rated game. :smallfrown:

Revlid
2008-04-20, 02:02 PM
Ordered the Collectors Edition pretty quickly - the art book sold it for me.

Unfortunately I couldn't buy it from an American Online Store (where it would be £20 cheaper!) because my modem is strained enough without having to play on American servers.

Gonna roll... Ooh. Marauder, Squig Herder, and (female!) Dwarf Engineer.

Destro_Yersul
2008-04-20, 03:10 PM
At least the Chaos Gods you're wanting are mostly-kosher for a T-rated game. :smallfrown:

*pictures Dev meeting*

dev1: Well, what about Slaanesh?
*other devs all glare at him*
dev1: sorry... *sinks into chair*

I had to go to EB to order mine, due to not having a credit card.

leperkhaun
2008-04-21, 01:44 AM
for the ganking issue. Well its not going to be like wow, where you are leveling and some level 70 comes down to kill every level 10 they can find.

There is something called the chicken mechanic. Basically if you go to a lower tier zone, and you go into the enemies place, you get turned into a chicken. You have 1 HP and you have 1 attack that only does 1 damage.

As for why the rest of the chaos gods arnt playable...im not sure. However the main chaos city has sections for all of the gods.