PDA

View Full Version : Need help, am looking for a Hunter of Shapechangers PrC

Tobrian
2008-03-06, 05:17 PM
Hello folks,

is there some class or PrC (a ranger PrC would be best) which specializes in hunting down shapechangers? Meaning dopplegangers, mimics, lycanthropes, creatures with alternate humanoid forms like dragons, rakshasa, fey'ri, succubi, barghests etc, and maybe polymorphed spellcasters too.

Ideally, such a character should possess the ability to sense or see a shapechanger in its true form, and the ability to force it back into its natural form or "lock" it in one form.

Alternatively, are there any spells, feats, items like this, and where can find them? I'm pretty sure there are spells, but I can't remember their name.

I dimly remember a magic powder or spell from a Planescape or Sigil supplement that could be used to force a transformation on a natural shapeshifter, but that might have been from an AD&D 2nd edition source?

Thanks for the help. If you can link me to a stat block for such an NPC already statted out, that would be even greater.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-06, 05:33 PM
Moon domain from SpC allows you to turn/destroy Lycanthropes (separate from Turn Undead attempts; 3+Cha mod/day)

Discern Shapechanger allows you to see the true forms of shapechangers (it doesn't need to have shapechanger subtype; it can be a rakshasa using its change shape ability and so on). From SpC

True Seeing is an obvious one

Church Inquisitor PrC from CDiv learns Force Shapechange at level 6. At will you can force a shapechanged creature to revert back to its original form (treat it as a dispel check), whether ex, sp or su in origin. You'll have to be able to cast zone of truth to get in though.

That's about all I can think of right now. I hope it helps!

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-06, 05:40 PM
Items, lens of shape changing or something, DMG, see them in true form, and then revert them back.

Person_Man
2008-03-06, 06:15 PM
Well, the Nemesis feat from Book of Exhalted Deeds let's you automatically pinpoint the location of a Favored Enemy within 60 feet, even through barriers, walls, or if they're invisible. When you Polymorph, Wildshape, or otherwise change shape, your type does not change. So you could use Nemesis to pinpoint your Favored Enemy regardless of their form. The problem is that it only applies to one of your Favored Enemies. So you'd either have to ask your DM for a house rule to have it only apply to enemies who are shapechanged, polymorphed, or using an alternate form, or you'd have to blow 3+ feats to cover all the common shapechanging types. It also fits for fluff reasons, since Rangers are the quintessential hunters.

Having said that, all you really need is frequent ability to use True Sight. Plenty of casters can help you out with this. Or you can buy a Wand and use UMD.

Another option is Read Thoughts or Detect Thoughts. If your enemy fails a Will Save, you can read their mind. So a Helm of Telepathy + creative roleplaying would go a long way towards helping any class be a Shapechanger killer.

Uncle Festy
2008-03-06, 06:57 PM
There was an item in WoL that had similar abilities...

Iudex Fatarum
2008-03-06, 09:35 PM
I actually just finished playing a character that was a sworn enemy of lycanthropes which are all huminoid (shapechanger) I convinced my Dm that this was a valid type to put as bane on a weapon, of course make sure that you show your DM Shifter's Sorrow (DMG weapon) its quite useful but i didnt want to use a double bladed sword. so instead i just had him let me silver my weapon and put bane on it.

P.S. my character died by his own hand when he was bitten in the corse of his demolishing 12 were rats when he was surprised and only level 5 by himself. he also had a mark of justice put on him that activated when he attacked.