PDA

View Full Version : Can a Wall of Force stop traps?

Frosty
2008-03-06, 07:06 PM
Let's say you and your party are trapped somewhere with walls or ceiling closing in on you and you will all be crushed to death soon. Can a well-placed wall of force (or two) buy you extra time to get the hell out of dodge? Speaking of which, how much would an item with infinite charges of Wall of Force cost?

Kyeudo
2008-03-06, 07:19 PM
Walls of Force are nigh-invulbnerable, so it should work, provided you place the wall correctly and the cieling/walls aren't rigged with Disintigrate traps.

Frosty
2008-03-06, 07:21 PM
I wonder if the Tomb of Horrors has lots of Disintegrate traps. Or worse yet, Sphere of Annihilation traps?

Chronos
2008-03-06, 07:26 PM
It might or might not save you, depending on the trap. If the force moving the ceiling is strong enough, or the material that makes up the ceiling is weak enough, you could end up with the Wall of Force just breaking off portions of the ceiling, with the remainder still squishing you.

Kyeudo
2008-03-06, 07:33 PM
Tomb of Horrors has at least one sphere of anihilation trap, but I don't know about any disintigrate traps.

puppyavenger
2008-03-06, 07:39 PM
Aren't Walls of force invunrable?

triforcel
2008-03-06, 07:56 PM
Depends on a variety of factors, but unless you have someone to make it permanent, it won't buy you that much time.

As for an item with unlimited casting of wall of force:

A command word item with no limitations on the number of times per day has a cost equal to the spell level (5) times the caster level (9 minimum) times 1,800g. So 5*9*1800=81000 gold.

So not something you could reasonably assume to carry around until level 15ish. At least according to the WBL chart.

Smiley_
2008-03-06, 07:57 PM
Not in the least. Disintegrate spells remove them, the lengendary dreadnaught epic class can bust one down with a use of the "Unstoppable" special ability and I believe that vorpal swords can slice through them.

Frosty
2008-03-06, 08:10 PM
Depends on a variety of factors, but unless you have someone to make it permanent, it won't buy you that much time.

As for an item with unlimited casting of wall of force:

A command word item with no limitations on the number of times per day has a cost equal to the spell level (5) times the caster level (9 minimum) times 1,800g. So 5*9*1800=81000 gold.

So not something you could reasonably assume to carry around until level 15ish. At least according to the WBL chart.

Artificer time I guess.

Emperor Tippy
2008-03-06, 08:11 PM
It depends entirely on the trap and what your DM will let you get away with. Oh and how your DM treats Wall of Force.

And Vorpal can't slice through a wall of force. Brilliant Energy can ignore it though.

puppyavenger
2008-03-06, 08:39 PM
Not in the least. Disintegrate spells remove them, the lengendary dreadnaught epic class can bust one down with a use of the "Unstoppable" special ability and I believe that vorpal swords can slice through them.

what? why would a sword that's speicial ability is to cut peoples heads off be able to cut through a plane of force strong enough to repeld several meteors?