PDA

View Full Version : Feat Choice for a Barbarian in an interesting world

ocato
2008-03-06, 09:11 PM
I'm playing a Human Barbarian 6/Frenzied Berserker 6 in a high power game that is semi-similar to the world of Final Fantasy Tactics in that each player (and villain) gets a stone(s) that gives them a power and a weakness. For example, I have a stone that grants me Weapon Focus (slashing of my choice), Weapon Specialization (Slashing of my choice), and 5 DR against slashing weapons. The fallback is that I take double damage from bludgeoning weapons or piercing weapons (weapons, not slams or other piercing/bludgeoning style natural attacks).

I recently picked up another stone that took away one class skill (destroyed all ranks and any ranks I try to put in are as if it were cross class) and gave me +2 AC, +1 to all stats, and a feat. So I'm l12 and I get two feats. I currently have Power Attack, Cleave, Destructive Rage, Intimidating rage, (all Frenzied Berserker Prerequisites) and extend rage. Now I have 2 feats (one from L12 and one from the stone) to decide. I also have weapon focus and weapon specialization with my Greatsword.

The DM has decided that Leap Attack does not stack with the super power attack ability of the Frenzied Berserker, also jump is the class skill he nixed for me. I am considering improved toughness for the extra HPs (without much excitement), the supreme weapon mastery feat who's exact name escapes me (grants +2 attack and +2 damage with any slashing weapon, presumably stacks with weapon focus and specialization), extra rage (seems wise, also affects frenzy), or maybe something else. My AC is low when I frenzy/rage, and not great when I'm not (28ish).

I do have a steady stream of divine casters to back me up usually and I can't die while frenzied from HP loss until the end of the frenzy, making me easy to heal if I sustain a massive hit. I guess what I'm looking for is something to boost my AC or damage output. I considered the mini chain for Shock Trooper, but it seems that that is going to make my AC even worse. Does anyone have any clever ideas on how to turn that into a boon or possibly something I haven't considered? All material is potentially available but at his discretion. Thanks.

(and yes, Frenzied Berserker, it's a high death campaign anyway and I've rolled well on will saves. Plus there's usually a cleric to hold person the hell out of me if I don't).

AslanCross
2008-03-06, 09:25 PM
... the supreme weapon mastery feat who's exact name escapes me (grants +2 attack and +2 damage with any slashing weapon, presumably stacks with weapon focus and specialization), extra rage (seems wise, also affects frenzy), or maybe something else. My AC is low when I frenzy/rage, and not great when I'm not (28ish).

That's Melee Weapon Mastery (slashing). That's an okay choice.

I would have suggested Improved Trip and Knock-Down, but I remembered that Improved Trip requires Combat Expertise.

FlyMolo
2008-03-06, 09:31 PM
Great Cleave? You already have cleave, you may as well pick it up. If you ever find yourself running across that kind of enemy, you might want it.

[savage species]Monstrous Feat Cumbrous dodge? You need Dodge and Tumble (4 ranks) for it, but it gives you +2 to AC against everyone for the rest of the encounter. At the end, you're fatigued, though that's probably not a problem if you're already dealing with fatigue from raging. Apply that solution again.

If you have con 20(hey, it could happen.) pick up involuntary rage. if you make a save vs massive damage, you enter a rage. Or Roll with it, for DR 2/-

[complete warrior]Eyes in the back of your head? No flanking could be handy.

Instantaneous Rage? could be handy too. Combat Reflexes? Greater Resiliency? Both useful. Monkey Grip or Power Critical? Nice, these.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-06, 09:57 PM
I'd recommend Extra Rage, it adds three Rages per day and (in addition) 3 frenzies. So it's quite useful to a Barb/Berserker.

TempusCCK
2008-03-06, 11:31 PM
I second Extra Rage, I was looking through all your Rage feats going "WTF? No Extra Rage, TOMFOOLERY SAYS I!"

Tomfoolery indeed.

TheFlamingHobo
2008-03-07, 03:37 AM
Extra rages is always useful but unless you are having a lot of encounters per day i doubt you would use up all of them any way. My suggestion would be to take Improved Bullrush, Shock Trooper. With Heedless charge the point is that you don't /need/ to worry about the fact that you will be standing in front of your opponent with -12 AC because you have Deathless Frenzy and Die Hard, you ain't gonna die (especially with Extend Rage)

Failing that I would also recommend Improved Sunder, Combat Brute for more power attack goodness, though since your DM already decided not to let Improved Power Attack/Superior Power Attack increase with Leap Attack I doubt he would let it increase with Momentum Swing

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-07, 05:53 AM
what book is extra rage in? I'm playing a Barb at the moment, and my 1 flipping rage a day is a bummer. I'm level 4, so no new feat for 3 levels - I could dip in fighter for other feats, but I'm a shifter (again, yay), so I'd start getting xp penalties.

Kizara
2008-03-07, 06:23 AM
Extra rage is mainly used in beserker builds with only 1 level barbarian.

For instance: bar 1/ftr 2/hex 3/fren x

Because you only have 1 rage/day and 1 frenzy/day (for a while) its pretty nice to make it 3/day.

That said, some considerations:

Improved Initiative: First strike= dead opponent.

Combat Brute (Cwar): Advancing blows is nice, and the general feel is pretty sweet.

Robilar's Gambit (PHB2): This makes your low AC synergise, giving you counterattacks with your massive damage output abilities. Note, this isn't practical unless you get a bunch of free feats.

Great Cleave is a consideration if you are running into situations where it might be relivant. You have one of the few characters that can make it work, what with Supreme Cleave and your massive damage output.

About your AC: Forget about it. Your "AC" is having them die first, and having an ass-ton of hp if that doesn't work. Seriously, the only thing AC is even remotely relivent for with a character like this is if you DM constantly power attacks you, but I doubt that.

Don't buy armor boosting stuff, get a keen weapon.
Also don't get +X weapons, get your cleric to cast Greater Magic Weapon on your blade for you.
Also, displacement >>>>>> AC.
Get your cleric buddy to cast Grillon's Blessing on you. And on himself while he's at it, as Righteous Might + Divine Might + Grillon's Blessing + 2Her + str domain + crown of smiting = GEGE.

Creslin
2008-03-07, 06:36 AM
I'd also like to add that the Combat Brute Tactical Feat is a great choice for a two hander like yourself. It's in Complete Warrior, and is a great choice.

Triaxx
2008-03-07, 09:23 AM
If you find something you like, but think the DM might not approve, then before you suggest, ask if you can have Blade grasp. Since he's bound to say no, then ask about the other feat. Have you got the dex for Combat Reflexes? Pick up that and Great Cleave, and anything that trys to pass you provokes an AoO, and potentially sets up it's buddy in front for a cleave.

Burley
2008-03-07, 09:46 AM
[complete warrior]Eyes in the back of your head? No flanking could be handy.

Barbarian=Improved Uncanny Dodge...

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-03-07, 10:14 AM
If you pick up Shock Trooper, you may want to grab Karmic Strike. In effect, anyone who hits you provokes an AoO. So you get to 'hulk smash' him too. Sure, you get hit. So what? As you said yourself, you got healers backing you up. I can almost guarentee you that they're gonna be hurtin' WAY more than you.

Person_Man
2008-03-07, 12:07 PM
Steadfast Determination (PHBII): Con mod replaces Wis mod for Will Saves, and you no longer auto fail Fort Saves on a roll of a natural 1. Considering how high a FB's Con is and how often they have to make Will Saves, this is a must have.

The feat chain for someone with low AC but uber damage is Karmic Strike + Rob's Gambit + Combat Reflexes. Enemy hits you, you hit enemy twice.

Another alternative is to simply use a reach weapon and Combat Reflexes + Hold the Line. Whenever an enemy tries to move in on you, you hit them twice.

ocato
2008-03-07, 08:55 PM
The rage feats I took were for the FB's prereqs. I wish I didn't have to. Combat Reflexes and Robilar's gambit seem like a decent idea, though I lack the feats to grab karmic strike as well. I can see how cleave (supreme cleave) and combat reflexes might be an advantageous combination. However, extra rage seems hard to pass up. Extra Rage and Weapon Mastery seem like a good combination, since +2 to attack means +6 to damage if I power attack. Any more ideas?

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-03-07, 10:24 PM
The rage feats I took were for the FB's prereqs. I wish I didn't have to. Combat Reflexes and Robilar's gambit seem like a decent idea, though I lack the feats to grab karmic strike as well. I can see how cleave (supreme cleave) and combat reflexes might be an advantageous combination. However, extra rage seems hard to pass up. Extra Rage and Weapon Mastery seem like a good combination, since +2 to attack means +6 to damage if I power attack. Any more ideas?

Umm... no. You can only trade in BAB, not any random bonus. Means the most you will ever be able to trade in with a 13th level character with full BAB is 13 points (for 39 bonus damage, which is very much worthwhile if you can find a way to hit with your -13 penalty to attack or get Shock Trooper to trade it for AC penalty)

Kizara
2008-03-08, 05:36 AM

No.

You should already have obscene bonuses to attack and damage, find ways to get more attacks not get a measly +2 bonus to attack and damage. Think about it:

Your attack does 50 damage (if its not you are doing something very, VERY wrong).
If you attack twice you do another 50 damage.

If you have that stupid feat you instead deal 52 damage.

100 vs 52...