PDA

View Full Version : NPC: Xuthra, the Blind Tattooist

Danzaver
2008-03-07, 09:49 AM
I just thought I would post this NPC I made up here because well, I'm proud of how they turned out. I just managed to wrought the rules enough to make them interesting and unique without being powerful (technically, underpowered: not a combat character).

Feel free to use them in your game, but please tell me if you are going to, so i can brag about it :smallbiggrin:

In fact, I'm really tempted to play a character like this as a PC...

Important Note: This character is actually blind. I have awarded them a bonus feat and +2 to listen checks to make up for this serious disadvantage, though if you read on, you will find that they more than compensate for their disability

The things this character does well are:
- Scrying
- Crafting magic tattoos
- Absorbing wounds into themself and then healing them quickly
- Avoiding combat
- Being underestimated
- Not requiring assistance from anyone, despite blindness

Appearance (basic description):
Wears Arab-esque flowing clothing, favouring blues, reds and white with embroidery in gold and black. Wears a blindfold of red cloth. Reddish Brown hair. Wears no armour, carries only a quarterstaff.

Xuthra
Human female NG Psion(Seer) lvl 10
HP 58 AC 20
Str 11
Dex 13
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 19
Cha 12
Fort/Ref/Will: +6/+4/+11

Skills (Total/Ranks)
Listen +19/13
Concentration +10/7
Autohypnosis +6/2
Knowledge: Psionics +5/2
Psicraft +5/2
Remote View +7/5
Sense Motive +8/4
Craft: Tattoo +10/7

Feats
Blind Fight
Blindsight 5' Radius
Rapid Metabolism
Scribe Tattoo
Inertial Armour
Psionic Metabolism

Psionic Powers (7/4/3/3/2/1)
Talents (13 free/day)
Know Direction
Detect Psionics
Telempathic Projection
Catfall
Float
Trinket
Lesser Natural Armour
1st Level
Know Location
Identify
Empathic Transfer
Hear Light (very important)
2nd Level
Clairvoyance/Clairaudience
Invisibility
Detect Thoughts
3rd Level
Remote Viewing
Nondetection
Time Hop
4th Level
Anchored Navigation
Aura Sight
5th Level
True Seeing (due to cosmic irony, cannot cast on self: only others)

Equipment
Boots of Elvenkind (with bells on the toes, which fall silent at mental command)
+2 Quarterstaff of Defending
Ring of Warmth
Bracers of Armour +5
Tattoo: Invisibility
Tattoo: Hear Light

There you have it. I normally don't get into fleshing out my NPCs to this degree, but in this case I was kinda curious to see if you actually could make a functional blind player character.

Would you consider playing this character? Let me know what you think.

CrowSpawn
2008-03-07, 10:11 AM
Very neat idea.

I've never seen the power "Hear Light" (maybe in Complete Psionics?), but the 1st Level power "Synesthete" seems like a hardcore way to be blind without actually being blind. For 10 minutes per level anyway.

Actually, on closer inspection, I suspect that "Hear Light" is actually the very power I recommended, perhaps just renamed?

In any case, the character itself is interesting and unique. A blind tattooist?? That would make me nervous as all hell! :smallamused:

Danzaver
2008-03-07, 10:26 AM
Very neat idea.

I've never seen the power "Hear Light" (maybe in Complete Psionics?), but the 1st Level power "Synesthete" seems like a hardcore way to be blind without actually being blind. For 10 minutes per level anyway.

I use 3rd edition - I hear they renamed a bunch of powers in 3.5, that could be it.

It's basically as it sounds - you hear light. You substitute your listen check for your spot check. For 10 mins per level. She has 50 power points, so if she doesn't do anything else, she could remain sighted for a bit under 10 hours. Of course, she has the constant blindsight 5' radius to fall back on.

Plus, who is to say her psicrystal is also blind? It could watch her back for her.

Cheese, I know, but I'm ok with it because it isn't a combat munchkin ruin-the-game-for-everyone-by-killing-gods-with-pinky-finger type of cheese.