PDA

View Full Version : PM's

viggo
2008-03-07, 10:51 AM
I have compiled a list of every player in the diplomacy scene on these forums. It's a fairly extensive list (found here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4031233&postcount=7)

I would like to send one PM to all of them, but chunking up the list into fives would take an inordinate amount of time.

Is there any way I could send one single PM to everyone on the list? Could one of the moderators do it for me?

Lord Herman
2008-03-07, 11:13 AM
I have the same problem with reminder PMs I have to send for Team RAF. As far as I know, there's no way to send more than 5 PMs at a time.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-07, 11:19 AM
Ah yes, I know and second with Lord_Herman.
And recently it looks like nobody is receiving my PM's becouse they are all marked 'unread' and nobody has sent a reply...yet....
(Just so you also know Herman)

Lord Herman
2008-03-07, 12:07 PM
And recently it looks like nobody is receiving my PM's becouse they are all marked 'unread' and nobody has sent a reply...yet....
(Just so you also know Herman)

I did receive your action for Team RAF.

Winterwind
2008-03-07, 02:43 PM
I have the same problem with reminder PMs I have to send out to the WarCraft and StarCraft groups, and have inquired about the same a few months before... apparently, there is no way to circumvent the 5 people per PM limit.

Seems copy&paste is the way to go...

Lingerance
2008-03-07, 03:16 PM
apparently, there is no way to circumvent the 5 people per PM limit.
Email and mailing lists exist for a reason.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-08, 03:37 AM
I did receive your action for Team RAF.

Ahh, good...

Winterwind
2008-03-08, 04:37 AM
Email and mailing lists exist for a reason.Extracting e-mail addresses from 60-70 people would be no less of a bother.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-08, 09:39 AM
Extracting e-mail addresses from 60-70 people would be no less of a bother.
But it's a one-time bother. Pump 'em into your address book as one group, and you're done.

Of course, the downside is that not everyone chooses to make their e-mail address available. Though hopefully they'll be willing to PM whoever's in charge of the game even if they want to keep their address out of their public profile.

Winterwind
2008-03-08, 10:00 AM
But it's a one-time bother. Pump 'em into your address book as one group, and you're done.Quite true, though that one-time bother would be much larger than having to manually send the PMs to every single person.

The next problem, of course, is this:

Of course, the downside is that not everyone chooses to make their e-mail address available. Though hopefully they'll be willing to PM whoever's in charge of the game even if they want to keep their address out of their public profile.which, combined with the fact that a) likely some people would not hand out their e-mail address at all (leading to a confusing split between people who should be reached via mail, and people who should be reached via PM), and b) the responsiveness of some people is larger than that of others (who do not participate in the groups for months, for instance, and hence might also not respond to an e-mail request), yet for fairness' sake the latter (probably, especially the latter) should get reminders as well, have led me to give in to the PM system's limitations and to just accept them. Sure, it may be somewhat inconvenient at times, but ultimately, copy&pasting everything makes the amount of work manageable.