PDA

View Full Version : Stargate RPG Trick

bbugg
2008-03-07, 11:45 AM
Ok, we're about to play our first Stargate SG-1 game tonight and in reading through the rules, I've come across something very strange:

Trick [half action]

This action allows a character to wear down and eventually subdue an opponent.

When a character takes a trick action, he chooses one adjacent opponent and makes either a Balance or Jump check (his choice), opposed by his target's Concentration skill. If the character wins this opposed skill check, the target suffers an amount of subdual damage equal to 1d6 + the character's Dexterity modifier. This damage is not reduced by damage reduction or hardness.

If the character scores a critical success with this opposed skill check, the amount of subdual damage inflicted is increased to 2d6 + the character's Dexterity modifier.

If the character loses this opposed skill check, he suffers 1 point of subdual damage (which is not reduced by damage reduction or hardness).

HUH?? What the heck is that?

Behold! I am balanced! Watch me jump! I subdue you!!

Does anyone have a reasonable explanation for that? Is it in any of the other modern-type games or did they just make that up?

Dragonmuncher
2008-03-07, 12:16 PM
Maybe you... do such an impressive job of jumping and balancing that your enemies get tired just from looking at you?

Solo
2008-03-07, 12:18 PM
Heck, I'm tired of reading about him already.

Burley
2008-03-07, 12:23 PM
That is fuggin' ridiculous! Hahaha. I kinda want to throw that on NPC villians, just to give my players what-for. What for? I dunno!

This isn't a modern thing, but in D&D, you can wave your arms and babble gobble-dee-**** with bat poop and stinky rocks in your hands to throw a ball of fire into a crowd. :tongue:

bbugg
2008-03-07, 12:27 PM
What I really need is a plausible explanation for this. For some odd reason :smallwink: my DM wants to ban that. But see, I have a very dextrous little guy who's not much of a fighter, but boy can he balance...

JadedDM
2008-03-07, 01:45 PM
I think trick could be described as for example:
*You throw a stone for an enemy to catch. The reflex makes him catch the stone and is temporary off guard.
*Using a reflection of the sun to blind your enemy in a swordfight.

That's the best I can come up with, at any rate. I think it requires some creativity on the player's part to justify what it does, flavor-wise, each time it's used depending on the situation and the enemy at hand.

Overlord
2008-03-07, 09:55 PM
I dunno about Balance, but Jump has a plausible explanation:

You jump up and down so hard that the ground beneath your feet shakes!

Surely that would knock someone unconscious after you did it to them 8 or 9 times, eh? :smallbiggrin:

SurlySeraph
2008-03-08, 01:44 AM
It only works on opponents adjacent to you. The idea is that you trick the guy into thinking there's an opening to hit you, so he ends up running into a wall or falling down or whacking himself in the knee or something along those lines. It's not too ridiculous.

horseboy
2008-03-08, 02:17 AM
Huricarana, maybe?