PDA

View Full Version : Help! Pirates are taking over my Uni

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-07, 11:49 AM
Yeah, the thread title pretty much sums it up. Its our YUSU (York Uni Student Union) president elections, and the favorite candidate is ... some berk who dresses as a pirate. His policies all involve making people walk the plank. And getting a cannon on central hall. He's got a crew who follow around going ARRRR and accosting people with voting information. And they make noise at stupidly early times. Like 11:00 AM. I've got a nasty sinking feeling he's going to win the vote.

So, I need advice on starting an under ground anti-Pirate insurrection (or UGAPI for those in the buisness). Our plans havn't got further than planning to dress up as ninjas and mock him.

V Junior
2008-03-07, 12:01 PM
I think I've got an idea.

In my Secondary School (high school for you Americans out there), people stuck up posters in Upper School to be Year Reps. Maybe, you could copy them, and put up posters with a picture of the pirate guy's face on. Then, you could put on it 'Really, don't vote for this guy. This is why: He has silly ideas that would not actually benefit the school, why would you want to walk the plank or have a cannon on the stage, and let's face it, this guy's a dork.'

Maybe, you could get together, and find someone the the UGAPI all likes, and then starts supporting that guy. With any luck, you will have a pirate/ninja battle, and you can stick up posters saying why ninjas are better then pirates. After bit, people will see the light, and vote for Ninja Guy instead of Pirate Guy.

After all... why would anyone want to have pirates running the school?

Blayze
2008-03-07, 12:04 PM
Short of doing the actual politician thing and making promises you can't possibly keep in an attempt to win votes, I don't see what's wrong with that fellow's down-to-earth approach to the business at hand. :P

Lord Herman
2008-03-07, 12:09 PM
I don't see what the problem is. Okay, so the union won't get anything useful done. But come on, pirates!

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-07, 12:11 PM
Then, you could put on it 'Really, don't vote for this guy. This is why: He has silly ideas that would not actually benefit the school, why would you want to walk the plank or have a cannon on the stage, and let's face it, this guy's a dork.'

Ah, well the thing is, he's going for the whole jokey approach anyway. And he's just got the majority vote. Darn.

Maybe, you could get together, and find someone the the UGAPI all likes, and then starts supporting that guy. With any luck, you will have a pirate/ninja battle, and you can stick up posters saying why ninjas are better then pirates. After bit, people will see the light, and vote for Ninja Guy instead of Pirate Guy

That would have been a good idea, but nominations are closed, so it's between just 3 candidates. The only hope that way is to vote to reopen the nominations.

Short of doing the actual politician thing and making promises you can't possibly keep in an attempt to win votes, I don't see what's wrong with that fellow's down-to-earth approach to the business at hand. :P

And is that York University as in the *real* York? As in, the one in England? If so, I might have to come see this guy.

Yeah, it's actual York Uni. Why, where are you based?

And I suppose, yeah, points to him for doing the whole jokey thing, but 1. the pirate thing is old now, 2. it's theoretically a serious position, and 3. he woke me up at 11 by being noisy.

Ceska
2008-03-07, 12:14 PM
*eagerly awaits the first ninja president*
You could start doing that if you really dislike his idea. Then have the epic battle between ninjas and pirates, continued in the University of York.

Edit: Awww. Convince someone to start acting all ninja-like, then.

Castaras
2008-03-07, 12:14 PM
Get help from the local ninjas.

If necessary, put posters saying "NIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNJJJJJJJAAAAAAA'D!" on top of the pirates posters. May give you a sense of satisfaction, at least. :smalltongue:

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-07, 12:18 PM
Get help from the local ninjas.

If necessary, put posters saying "NIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNJJJJJJJAAAAAAA'D!" on top of the pirates posters. May give you a sense of satisfaction, at least.

Actually yes, that would amuse me no end

Blayze
2008-03-07, 12:39 PM
he woke me up at 11 by being noisy.

11AM as in "just before noon"? If that's the case, then I only have this to say: Get out of bed. :P

Other than that, challenge him to a debate or something. Stand up on stage with him next to you, and say something like "I have promised to mention nothing about the rumours regarding my honourable opponent's alleged <INSERT REPUTATION-DAMNING CRIME HERE>", or something like that.

If he then says "There aren't any rumours!", you can simply say "There are now." :P

Lord Herman
2008-03-07, 12:44 PM
If necessary, put posters saying "NIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNJJJJJJJAAAAAAA'D!" on top of the pirates posters.

But don't you have to have put the there before he does to properly ninja him?

Zombie pixe
2008-03-07, 03:41 PM
If he was pretending to be jack sparrow, then you would have a problem, but yea, I think a ninja squad will work wonders against the pirates.

:smallsmile:

FoE
2008-03-07, 03:44 PM
So, I need advice on starting an under ground anti-Pirate insurrection (or UGAPI for those in the buisness). Our plans havn't got further than planning to dress up as ninjas and mock him.

Set fire to the school. No one will expect that. :smalltongue:

Phase
2008-03-07, 03:58 PM
I agree with the posters above me, just go down to the nearest...w-wall. Wait for a ninja to run down it to kill you, then, right before you die, throw up the campaign fliers. Sure enough, the next morning, you wont be woken up in the am. Well, you wouldn't be waking up ever again anyway, but neither will the pirates...

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-07, 03:59 PM
Set fire to the school. No one will expect that.

Might possibly have some sort of impact on my degree at some point maybe. Although I'll happily do the Maths department.

Edit: and ^, you're assuming that I can be killed. I'm an English Undergrad. We're cursed to wander the earth for all eternity.

DraPrime
2008-03-07, 04:21 PM
Turn the tables on him and solve it like a pirate. Shoot him, stab him, and toss his dying body into the ocean. Then take his place as lord of pirates and win the election.

Lord Herman
2008-03-07, 07:09 PM
If he was pretending to be jack sparrow, then you would have a problem, but yea, I think a ninja squad will work wonders against the pirates.

:smallsmile:

Nonsense. Everyone knows pirates beat ninjas.

Solo
2008-03-07, 07:52 PM
You must solve this by getting a group to oppose him dressed as ninjas.

Let the hijinks commence.

Nonsense. Everyone knows pirates beat ninjas.

Except ninjas. And pirates. And objective witnesses.

sickler
2008-03-07, 08:04 PM
And they make noise at stupidly early times. Like 11:00 AM.

You university kids are a joke.

DarkLightDragon
2008-03-07, 08:10 PM
Reminds me of an event I went to and we were organised into groups. I was in Pirate Pack. There was a Ninja Pack. I was a pirate carrying a ninja sword. :smallamused:

Mattarias, King.
2008-03-08, 02:15 AM
You need dinosaur power, now!

:smalltongue: Ninjas will be expected. Bring a T-rex or some raptors as backup.

Yes, a Rangers reference. I went there. >.>

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-08, 03:16 AM
Why exactly does he want to make people walk the plank? I wondered if there was a practical reason for it (eg: fundraising) as opposed to just being a stupid idea.

V Junior
2008-03-08, 05:51 AM
That would have been a good idea, but nominations are closed, so it's between just 3 candidates. The only hope that way is to vote to reopen the nominations.

What I meant was that you take one of the current candidates and make him a ninja, or supported by them at least.

Also, Cassie, that was funny. But if anyone writes 'ARRR' over my Environment Moniter posters, there'll be hell to pay!

Lorn
2008-03-08, 06:23 AM
Yeah, it's actual York Uni. Why, where are you based?

And I suppose, yeah, points to him for doing the whole jokey thing, but 1. the pirate thing is old now, 2. it's theoretically a serious position, and 3. he woke me up at 11 by being noisy.
York.

York, as in, about an hour-hour and a half south of Durham, big station, about a month or so ago you had vikings wandering the streets? (You may have seen me, maroon tunic, big knife, spear, black shield, midlength brown hair, grey hood-ish thing.)

There's your solution.

Dress up as Vikings.

Find out where he sleeps, then in the early hours (eg, 6AM) wake him up as well. All in the interests of a history project or something. Proceed to do this for the rest of the day/week/month. Until he shuts up in the mornings.

Renegade Paladin
2008-03-08, 06:37 AM
Quickly! Deploy the ninjas! (http://drmcninja.com/page.php?pageNum=45&issue=10)

SoD
2008-03-08, 01:36 PM
Oh dear...this is a huge problem.

Your UNI is being taken over by pirates and you're trying to stop it...you see the problem?

Pirates are a good thing, besides, more pirates means less global worming.

Hazkali
2008-03-08, 02:21 PM
By Student's Union, do you mean the whole Student Union, or a Union society? If the latter, I presume it's a sabbatical position? If so, he's probably more dedicated than he lets on- he would have to be truly stupid to put himself up for that kind of work for a laugh.

My own 2gp based upon my experiences further north are that if you are really worried, try to get people to fall behind another candidate rather than vote RON, as RON never gets enough votes in large elections to be worthwhile.

That said, despite the seemingly large power he holds, all Student Unions operate on a geological timescale, and even then the academic side to everyone's university experience will be pretty much unchanged.

Totally Guy
2008-03-10, 03:48 AM
Hey, I've heard of this fellow. I was with a couple of his campaign team on Saturday, they were celebrating Pirate victory and by extention geek victory. In fact those people are also forumites, so I'm suprised they've not boarded this thread yet.

It's amazing who we all meet. Please confirm my post by declaring pirate victory.

Totally Guy
2008-03-10, 03:48 AM
Hey, I've heard of this fellow. I was with a couple of his campaign team on Saturday, they were celebrating Pirate victory and by extention geek victory. In fact those people are also forumites, so I'm suprised they've not boarded this thread yet.

It's amazing who we all meet. Please confirm my post by declaring pirate victory.

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-10, 04:40 AM
Yer, Mad Captain Joe won.

Ahh well, I'll give him a chance. As long as he actually does what he's supposed to, then it doesn't really matter if he does it dressed as a pirate.

The rapter riding ninjas will be on standby though ...

Edit; oh, and Glug, are you at York too then?

Farmer42
2008-03-10, 04:43 AM
Just make sure he failed this (http://xkcd.com/135/) test.

Totally Guy
2008-03-10, 04:47 AM
I visited York Uni one time, with my GitP friends, when the SF&F club did a board game day, it was November pehaps... a Saturday. Then the next day they did Larp but I'm not involved with that scene.

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-10, 04:50 AM
Oh right, I wouldn't have seen you then - I only went to SF&F once to find a Dnd group.

Totally Guy
2008-03-10, 07:23 AM
I guess that's where the degrees of separation finish.

Unless... your GM is named Jason.

Last_resort_33
2008-03-10, 07:26 AM
My gf was on the campaign team...
I helped with transport, dressing up and moral support even though not technically at the uni.

Mad Captain Tom will do well methinks...

Though to tell the truth, he wasn't in the running to actually GET IN. He just wanted to have a bit of a joke at the expense of YUSU... and then it went horribly wrong.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-10, 07:31 AM
Does he have any ideas for real policies, or will he jut step down and let somone who is actually serious take his place?

Last_resort_33
2008-03-10, 07:42 AM
Well he is actually a very, very clever guy. Part of the point of his "policies" was that every year, each president has a bunch of policies, which never actually see the light of day beyond "We looked into it and it wasn't really feasible"

(although he is planning to actually keep his policy of sword fighting lessons for committee members)

He was going to stand down. In fact when it was announced he won, he said to me "Oh ****, I didn't want this to happen, I'll have to stand down" and then he got up on stage, made a big speech, and decided, at the very last second to change his mind.

Unlike all the other candidates, he has no personal or political agenda, he doesn't hold with cliques. And he is a geek... which helps.

Fin
2008-03-10, 06:34 PM
I am so jealous of you right now. I would kill, literally kill for pirates to take over my uni! And here are the reasons why;

1) Pirates don't beleive in work, so my 10,000 word dissertation that is due in in three weeks time wouldn't matter.

2) Think of the loot, the university would be loaded within months meaning excellent facilities.

3) Trained shoulder based animals for all, y'know monkeys and parrots and the like.

But even though I fully appreciate the Pirate thing your uni has, what do we get? Ninjas! Freaking work hard, never play Ninjas! I hate ninjas so bad!

someonenonotyou
2008-03-11, 09:14 PM
since i have nothing intellagent to add to this I would just like to say

whoo pirates rule ninja stuck!!!