PDA

View Full Version : Geek my hero; Bruce Lee (warning, may get too geeky)

TGWG
2008-03-07, 11:50 AM
If we were to take some idols from popular culture and transport them into a D&D setting, what would they be, what would be on their character sheets.

Our topic today is Bruce Lee. At first you'd think he'd be a monk, but D&D monks don't dish out beatdowns like like Bruce. so what character class would he take, what level would he bee, what feats would he have, and what STATs would he start with, what skills would he put ranks in, and what would be the magic items that he carries

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-07, 11:53 AM
Honestly?

Bard with a couple levels of Fighter. Snowflake Wardance and Iaijutsu Focus...

Solo
2008-03-07, 11:54 AM
Didn't we just have one of these?

Anyways, Bruce would have rolled all 16's in ever stat at the least, and might be approximated by an unarmed Swordsage. Maybe.

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-07, 11:57 AM
Epic level Swordsage

playswithfire
2008-03-07, 12:14 PM
Swordsage with some dips so he can be a master of nine?

"favors formlessness so that it can can assume all forms"

Just a thought

Cybren
2008-03-07, 01:55 PM
Swordsage with some dips so he can be a master of nine?

"favors formlessness so that it can can assume all forms"

Just a thought

Lee was an adamant opponent of martial artists claiming spiritual abilities or applying mysticism to combat. While he would have likely taken advantage of them in a world where they were more objectively 'real', the Bruce Lee we know in specific probably wold best be represented by a fighter, possibly with some rogue to represent his taking advantage of openings through feints or sheer speed.

playswithfire
2008-03-07, 02:16 PM
You don't have to use the mystical fluff; I just wanted him to have a variety of attacks available to him. My interpretation of building a character with that Bruce Lee quote I gave* was to have access to several martial arts disciplines as they exist within DnD. Yours is to use the more customizable fighter and have no martial adept classes. Both, i think are reasonable interpretations; yours may be more accurate. I just enjoy the combat options presented by the ToB; dancing and raging mongoose boosts, setting sun throws, diamond mind counters etc

*from Tao of Jeet Kun Do (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee) 1975; compiled from his notes so those may not have been his exact words

Cybren
2008-03-07, 02:19 PM
You don't have to use the mystical fluff; I just wanted him to have a variety of attacks available to him. My interpretation of building a character with that Bruce Lee quote I gave* was to have access to several martial arts disciplines as they exist within DnD. Yours is to use the more customizable fighter and have no martial adept classes. Both, i think are reasonable interpretations; yours may be more accurate. I just enjoy the combat options presented by the ToB; dancing and raging mongoose boosts, setting sun throws, diamond mind counters etc

*from Tao of Jeet Kun Do (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee) 1975; compiled from his notes so those may not have been his exact words

True, and as I did admit, if Lee lived in a D&D campaign setting he'd probably be a martial adept. (Though he would regret not being a wizard or codzilla)