PDA

View Full Version : Outsider parts

Irreverent Fool
2008-03-07, 12:27 PM
I've heard that outsiders disappear when slain and return to their plane of origin if encountered on any plane but their home plane. I haven't been able to find this specific rule, but since it seems fairly ubiquitous, I don't doubt it exists. (If someone can point me toward it, I will give that person a cookie.)

My question is: If they're NOT slain, what happens to any blood/hair/shed skin/severed limbs? If I want to make a simulacrum of a djinn, can I just get a toenail clipping and let him go on his way?

Chronos
2008-03-07, 03:55 PM
This is the rule for summoned creatures, which are admittedly the most common reason you'd encounter outsider off their native plane, but I don't think I've ever seen it for all outsiders in general.

KillianHawkeye
2008-03-07, 04:57 PM
Check out Fiendish Codex I & II. IIRC, I think BOTH Demons and Devils have this (fluff) quality.

I haven't heard anything about it applying to ALL Outsiders (since no other Outsiders have been given their own books in 3.x), but I guess that'd be a reasonable extrapolation.

Irreverent Fool
2008-03-10, 05:00 AM
Aha. Thank you, Killian.

Time to put that Planar Binding circle to good use.

AslanCross
2008-03-10, 05:38 AM
This is the rule for summoned creatures, which are admittedly the most common reason you'd encounter outsider off their native plane, but I don't think I've ever seen it for all outsiders in general.

Summoned creatures don't die, they only planeshift back to their origin unharmed when they get destroyed on the Prime Material. Demons and devils who were gated or planeshifted to the Prime Material dissolve into nothing and eventually reform on their home plane after a given time, as per the Fiendish Codices. Not sure how long it takes demons, but devils take 99 years if I remember correctly.

Benejeseret
2008-03-10, 07:24 PM
Isn't there a feat that grants you limbs of outsiders etc? Take it and clip your own toenails :)

Alternatively there is always asking or bartering for them, works more often than one might think (especially with the right spells/classes).

Da King
2008-03-10, 08:21 PM
Isn't there a feat that grants you limbs of outsiders etc? Take it and clip your own toenails :)

Alternatively there is always asking or bartering for them, works more often than one might think (especially with the right spells/classes).

There is a prestige class somewhere that allows you to replace your skin with a demon or devil, I can not remember which. I think it is in the complete arcane somewhere, probably because it is a warlock themed prestige class and that is the book they were introduced in.

Patashu
2008-03-10, 08:26 PM
The rule for outsiders strikes me as odd. If you can only truly die on your home plane wouldn't all beings frantically desert their home plane at all times so as to nullify any chance of their deaths? And shouldn't creatures be at their strongest, not most vulnerable in their home?