PDA

View Full Version : Julia becoming a Mystic Theurge

Burley
2008-03-07, 01:22 PM
So, I know this is a really ridiculous idea, but I'm gonna toss it out anyways. Take a look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0353.html)comic.
It seems to me that Durkon is the only person who Julia listens to or respects. What if, maybe, she took her experience with Durkon and treated him as a father figure of some sort? Maybe, after seeing his powerful connection to such a strong diety like Thor, and the stern "no-crap" talkin' to he gave her, she decides to changer her slutty high school ways and become a Cleric of Thor, or some other god/dess.

Just a theory. Don't hit me.

Eran of Arcadia
2008-03-07, 01:36 PM
No, that fictitious character would never really do that. She can't. We can extrapolate her future based on what we have seen already her do. I will now dedicate my life to proving this terrible, terrible idea wrong, and exposing you for the fraud and the charlatan that you truly are.

What's a mystic theurge?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-07, 02:05 PM
No, that fictitious character would never really do that. She can't. We can extrapolate her future based on what we have seen already her do. I will now dedicate my life to proving this terrible, terrible idea wrong, and exposing you for the fraud and the charlatan that you truly are.

What's a mystic theurge?

A mystic theurge is a combonation arcane/divine spellcaster. Tsukiko is one.

And because Tsukiko IS a mystic theurge, I don't think Julia will become one.

Burley
2008-03-07, 02:39 PM
Okay. Maybe an Arcane Hierophant?

They do the same thing, right?

Maybe, next time we see her, she is dressed different...As a matter of fact, she's become a Cat Girl. Why? She became a Geomancer!

Roderick_BR
2008-03-07, 02:51 PM
I really don't see her becoming a mystic theurge or any kind of wizard/divine caster combination. At a first glance she doesn't look like that type of character. Julia may have been impressed with Durkon (maybe she's used to trash-talk people that doesn't answer back/shy away), but that wouldn't make her get interested in divine magic.
At best she gets a little more respect for leader types with strong personalities (other than her brother).

Castamir
2008-03-07, 03:15 PM
Julia? Impressed???
No way.

She was somehow caught off-guard when someone who initially looked like a random bum commanded her. And usually, when teenagers get shouted at by friends of family/etc, they tend to appear docile.

She's as centered on herself as always.

David Argall
2008-03-07, 04:04 PM
Metagame: You do not multi-class from Wizard. There is no advantage to doing so. Multi-classing to wizard is routinely superior. A rogue-wiz has 24 more skill points than a wiz-rogue [and 1 more hp if you give the 1st level max hp].

Story: As noted, there is already a mystic thurge in the story, which makes a very limited need for another. There are several other classes and prestige classes that can appear here, and so we are not going to see much duplication.

Story and Meta: Julia is only 3rd level and is expected to stay in school for a number of years, during which she will gain levels slowly at best. She is not going to join the party or otherwise do much in the story. So she is not going to qualify for any PrC.

SPoD
2008-03-08, 12:14 AM
Everything David just said, plus she almost certainly has a Wisdom score that compares favorably with that of igneous rocks--but only just barely. While tied to a chair and facing possible death, she let her brother get ambushed by her captors because he insulted her clothes. That's not the action of someone who I would call "wise".

Demonicbunny
2008-03-08, 07:17 AM
Julia always struck me as either pure wizard or Arcane Trickster.

Definitely not the religious type.

Istari
2008-03-08, 09:37 AM
She would be a much better sorcerer with that high charisma of hers.

Craig1f
2008-03-12, 11:07 AM

But for storytelling purposes, it doesn't make sense to multi class into sorcerer, since sorcery is something that occurs naturally, and sorcerers tend to develop their powers as they age. In character, you don't choose to be a sorcerer, you're born one. You can multi class out by RPing that you "have chosen not to focus on your inherent powers".

But you're right. From a metagaming standpoint, she'd probably make a better sorcerer. Then Rich could have had a very cool story arc about how her and Xykon both have felt like outcasts because of their inherent powers, and he could try to turn her evil (Kinda a star wars theme). But I'm sure Rich has written a better plot than anything I could come up with, so I'm not complaining.

Fitzclowningham
2008-03-12, 08:36 PM
Maybe Julia's faking the wizardry; she's pretending to read and study at school, but she's just doing the spells naturally. She would know all about her father's prejudice against sorcerors, and the low esteem they seem to be generally accorded among wizards. How would anyone tell the difference, especially at low levels?

Green Bean
2008-03-12, 08:48 PM

Um, even if she has high Charisma, there's absolutely nothing saying her Intelligence can't be higher. :smallconfused:

factotum
2008-03-13, 07:54 AM
Maybe Julia's faking the wizardry; she's pretending to read and study at school, but she's just doing the spells naturally. She would know all about her father's prejudice against sorcerors, and the low esteem they seem to be generally accorded among wizards. How would anyone tell the difference, especially at low levels?

Quite easily--they'd give her a spell to learn and she wouldn't be able to do it. She also wouldn't be able to scribe spells into a spellbook, AFAIK.

Jayabalard
2008-03-13, 08:27 AM
Maybe Julia's faking the wizardry; she's pretending to read and study at school, but she's just doing the spells naturally. She would know all about her father's prejudice against sorcerors, and the low esteem they seem to be generally accorded among wizards. How would anyone tell the difference, especially at low levels?She wouldn't have to be faking wizardry... she's at a school for wizardry and sorcery (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0253.html), so perhaps she's on the sorcery track.

After she plays centipede, she says "all out of quarters, I mean spells" ... if she was a wizard and she's at school, why would she have magic missile memorized for all of her spell slots?

Fitzclowningham
2008-03-13, 10:16 AM
Ahh...thanks, Jayabalard, that detail slipped my mind.