PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Walker in the Waste?

Maerok
2008-03-07, 03:01 PM
Would using Arcane Disciple (Sand or Thirst) qualify an arcane spellcaster for Walker in the Waste? I generally prefer to go Druid (has more neat sand spells, and can turn into desert creatures IIRC with variant, plus Sandskimmer which I like to max out), but it might open up some new options.

Person_Man
2008-03-07, 03:38 PM
No.

WotW requires the "ability to cast spells at least three spells of the Sand or Thirst domain as divine spells." Arcane Disciple specifically adds spells from a domain to your "list of arcane spells." It in no way changes how you cast.

DementedFellow
2008-03-07, 06:25 PM
Mechanics aside, it's a taste of flavor. Wizards or even sorcerers don't fit the role of WotW easily.

A druid who loves the arid beauty of the waste so much he is hellbent on making the whole continent one dry dessert or a cleric who believes that only through thirst can we find enlightenment and reach a state of spiritual ecstasy fit more in line with what they had in mind when creating the character concept.

I never really liked the idea in Sandstorm about a potential motivator for a WotW is "a record must be kept of what was" or something along those lines. That isn't necessarily conducive to having a roving Walker adventuring. It makes a good NPC, or even a good BBEG, but flavor wise, that character would be hard to motivate.

Now, if we look at the wizards and sorcerers, what would their motivations be? If you are going to go the desiccation route, then you might as well go full blown "Fire Wizard" as there are a number more spells at your disposal rather than "I drain you of water."

Walker in the Waste, while it is a powerhouse, it is a hard class to put into a campaign as a PC hard enough let alone making it so that a wizard would want to make people thirsty. It fits in more with a divine spellcaster to use the environment against your enemies.