PDA

View Full Version : Gate Crasher?

Primal Fury
2008-03-07, 03:07 PM
what is your opinion on the Gate Crasher PrC from "Manual of the Planes"? it seems kinda nice, lots of skill points, some interesting abilites, but i've never been one to come to about evaluating a class. also, if the gate crasher was a summoner himself, would he impede is own summoning in addition to his opponents?

Thank you for your time:smallsmile:

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-07, 03:17 PM
what is your opinion on the Gate Crasher PrC from "Manual of the Planes"? it seems kinda nice, lots of skill points, some interesting abilites, but i've never been one to come to about evaluating a class. also, if the gate crasher was a summoner himself, would he impede is own summoning in addition to his opponents?

Thank you for your time:smallsmile:

It can be a fun PRC to play in a planar campaign. I am really fond of Tales from the Infinite Stairway.

Not a good class for a Summoner Spellcaster normally IMO since it doesn't advance spellcasting although it could be fun in gestalt.

100 foot radius dampening field that effects (Summoning and Calling spells and Spell like abilities) which does not affect previously summoned creatures.

IMO a DM could rule either way regarding Calling and Summoning spells or spell like abilities for the Gatecrasher having his summoning still work sort of an eye of a hurricane or completely shutting it down since the ability is not acquired until the 4th level of the PRC.

Primal Fury
2008-03-07, 03:29 PM
and gestalting was exactly what i was planning on doing! AWSOME!:smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2008-03-07, 03:43 PM
It's quite a weak, 3.0 PrC, which is probably primarily meant for NPCs. Unless you're playing in a game which is all plane shifting, all the time, I would never bother with it.

KillianHawkeye
2008-03-07, 05:00 PM
100 foot radius dampening field that effects (Summoning and Calling spells and Spell like abilities) which does not affect previously summoned creatures.

I haven't read the class, but could you just summon your own creatures 100+ feet away from you to avoid this? If so, then they could move in towards you after they were summoned. Of course, if your enemies notice you summoning things 105 feet away from you while their own summoning spells fizzle, they might catch on.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-07, 05:12 PM
I haven't read the class, but could you just summon your own creatures 100+ feet away from you to avoid this? If so, then they could move in towards you after they were summoned. Of course, if your enemies notice you summoning things 105 feet away from you while their own summoning spells fizzle, they might catch on.

Standard Summon Monster and Nature's Ally range is 25' +5' /2 levels even with something like the Enlarge feat that would be 50' + 5'/level. (I'm sure there are a few unusual summoning spells in game that excede these ranges but none come to mind except Gate). Basically boils down to a DM's Call IMO on the various mechanic interaction (Probably easiest just to say No to anything within the 100' radius including the caster doing any summoning while the being is inside the dampening field).