PDA

View Full Version : Aegis of the Immortal [Item]

Adumbration
2008-03-08, 05:45 AM
Aegis of the Immortal

"Finally, the deadly blade pierced his defence and met his heart. Dropping his sword, he staggered back. His opponent, the lethal drow, snickered. He knew the blow he had dealt was lethal. Just a few more moments, and the paladin would bleed to his death. And he did. He fell to the ground, clutching his decorated mithril shield in his death. Undoubtably it would fetch a high price in Menzoberranzan, just like the rest of his gear. Another goody-two-shoes less walking the earth.

The drow approached. Suddenly, a blinding flash of light. When his eyes adjusted to the darkness again, the paladin's body was nowhere to be found."

An ancient heavy mithril shield, it bears the symbols of both Boccob and Pelor, an unlikely but potent combination. When the attuned (see below) bearer of the shield dies in combat, the shield's true power comes to bear. The dead wielder is teleported into pretermined site and raised from the dead. The usual loss of level takes place, but otherwise the wielder is perfectly fine. When the power of the shield is consumed, it becomes an ordinary +1 heavy mithral shield until reattuned.

To attune the shield, the wielder must meditate with the shield for a week in the site where he wishes to be teleported. The wielder must sacrifice at least 16 spell-slots over a period of two days in addition to an experience cost of 2500 experience points and the meditation period of a week. Once these conditions are met, the shield re-activates for future use.

Moderate Conjuration (healing), Moderate Conjuration (teleportation), Strong Evocation. CL Xth, Craft magic arms and armor, Raise Dead, Contingency, Teleport; Price:

This is my first homebrew, just wanted to do it for fun, but I'm not sure of the price and whether the re-activation cost is proper. How about it?

togapika
2008-03-08, 10:16 AM
Well I like the flavor very much, but a level loss from death and an XP cost to reattune it? That alone I think might keep me from using it.

Adumbration
2008-03-08, 10:24 AM
Well I like the flavor very much, but a level loss from death and an XP cost to reattune it? That alone I think might keep me from using it.

Jeah.. You may be right. I was just trying to keep the cost relatively low through limitations and penalties, but since I don't exactly how to calculate the cost, it's not really helping.

Say, what if I removed the level loss completely, but upped the initial xp cost? The other option is to lower the xp cost or remove it completely, but keeping the level loss.

togapika
2008-03-08, 10:28 AM
You could do a bit of both, having a one time XP cost at the beginning and then giving them a negative level instead of losing a level that lasts till they gain a level. This also means you could probably keep the meditation/ lose spell slots to reattune thing too.

ikrase
2008-04-01, 06:32 PM
This is pretty good. You could have it be more powerful-Who could resist a sheild that breaks laws against True Rezz?. BUt it would be a stronger item.