PDA

View Full Version : Ferrans (D&D Race)

Oregano
2008-03-08, 08:58 AM
Right this is fairly long and complicated so I'd recommend getting a drink or something before sitting down and reading this, and thanks to anyone who actually takes their time to read all this.

Ferrans
Ferrans are a race of small Feral humanoid that live deep in the woods and jungle. According to Ferran Legend, a Great Deity millennia ago brought the Ferrans into the world, the first five Ferrans created by this Deity were infused with great powers, One with the power of Bestia, one with Sero, two with Animus and Veneficus respectively(reflecting Divine and Arcane powers) and one with the power of Extraxi. These Ferrans possessed the ability of their lord, to create other Ferrans, so they each created a mate, expecting them to be imbued with the same essence that they were. They were surprised to see that each possessed the essence of one of the other Ferrans.
The Ferrans went to their God for guidance, “Why can we not make others in our image?” they asked, and their Great Deity proclaimed, “Each of you is unique, and the power bestowed upon you is a gift from I.” It was then that the Ferrans learnt that heritage was irrelevant in their culture and only the individual can determine their status.
It is said that once every century a Ferran Child is born with no power infused upon them. This Ferran is thought of both powerful and unworthy, these Ferrans are most often likely to become adventurers. Many sceptical Ferran Lore masters believe that there is more than one born each century but the lack of documentation prevents it from being proven. Other Ferrans, religious zealots believe that they are holy scions and are chosen by their Lord to protect the weaker races.

Personality: Ferrans are altruistic for the most part, they have a strong sense of community and would die to protect their family and friends, they would also gladly give their life to serve a purpose. They are also devoted completely to whatever cause they serve, particularly their clan and deity.

Physical Description: Ferrans are small humanoids, standing between three and half and just over four feet tall. They way very little, usually around thirty to forty five pounds. They have fair skin, looking sickly and pale by Human standards, their hair is usually at least shoulder length and the most common colours are blonde and brown(ranging from light to dark). A Ferrans eyes are notable for their brightness and colour, the colour changes depending on the clan of each Ferran. Those from the Bestia clan have yellow eyes, those from the Sero clan have green eyes, Animus Ferrans have blue eyes, Veneficus Ferrans have red eyes and the Extraxi Ferrans have Gold eyes. All Ferrans also possess a birth mark above their right eye arching round onto their temple that represents their clan and powers, however there is a variation from person to person The clanless Ferrans are easily noticed by their black hair and dark brown eyes, they also possess no birth mark.

Relations: The Ferrans have the most respect for the races that live in harmony in the wilderness, particularly the Elves and Halflings. Ferrans do not hate any particular people or have any hostilities. Ferrans however do oppose any who would punish the weak, therefore they sometimes aid Halflings and Elves in battles against their foes, which usually earns the foes animosity.

Alignment: All Ferrans have been taught to protect the weak and value life; this means that the majority of Ferrans are of good alignment, although there are some evil Ferrans(who are generally outcast or escape punishment for their deeds). They have a tendency to neutrality as many become Druids, they do have a lot of barbarian warriors but a minority follow the path of righteousness and become Paladins.

Ferran Lands: Ferrans only have very small settlements, small villages scattered throughout the world. Deep in the forests however it is said that the Ferrans possess a mighty hall deep in a sacred forest where they meet every year, it also acts as a stronghold in case their dire need for a safe haven. The Ferrans however do not claim to own any land rather they share it and life off the land, because of this Ferrans welcome strangers of any races into their homes.

Religion: All Ferrans pay homage to their Lord, who is only addresses as the Infinite Sanctum, he is a generous god according to the Ferrans and provides for all his children, he is said to be an enemy to the evil Necromancy and Undead Gods but be great allies to the Elven, Halfling, Draconic and Fey Gods and lives in harmony with them as do their children. He grants the Animal, Plant, Good, Magic and Dragon Domains.

Languages: Ferrans speak their own native, racial tongue as their primary language but all are taught to speak common so that they can communicate with the other races. They also learn the languages of their allies; meaning they sometimes learn Elven, Halfling, Celestial, Draconic and Sylvan

Names: Ferrans have three parts to their name their first given name, which is decided by the whole Ferran community who try to think of a unique name for each of the children born to them, it has also been known for Ferrans to be name after allies of the Ferrans(so sometimes they have Elven or Halfling names) male names often end in o whilst female names often end with an a; Ferran second names are simply the names of their Clan. Their third name is their family name(due to the complex nature of Ferran society, many different people in different Clans share the same family name as they are related by blood).

Male Names: Aros, Halko, Scando, Tolero, Vauk
Female Names: Fenia, Lacerta, Mernally, Tabula, Verua
Family Names: Altor, Irruo, Lagerro, Malagier, Perrianellis

Adventurers: Most Ferrans adventure so that they can travel see the world and protect the weak, they wish to be heroes to the world. Other Ferrans try to prove themselves to the rest of their Clan or try to prove that their Clan is the strongest. Many just adventure for the thrills and adventure. The rare evil Ferrans usually travel after being outcast or escaping punishment in Ferran lands.

Ferran Racial Traits

-2 Strength, -2 Intelligence; Ferrans are weaker than the average human due to their small size and are less intelligent due to a life in the reclusive wilderness.
Small Size: As a Small creature, a Ferran gains a +1 size bonus to Armour Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium creature.
Ferrans base land speed is 30, although have shorter legs than most creatures Ferrans runs fast due to their rigorous lifestyle.
Darkvision: Ferrans can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Ferrans can function just fine with no light at all.
Illiteracy: Ferrans do not automatically know how to read or write. A Ferran must spend 2 skill points to learn how to read and write all languages he is able to speak. He does not automatically gain this skill when taking a nonbarbarian character class, with the exception of Wizard and Archivist Classes.
Clan: Each Ferran belongs to a specific Clan, which grants them Abilities depending on the Clan. The Clans cannot later be changed and the five Clans are Bestia, Sero, Animus, Veneficus and Extraxi(Which represent Animal, Plant, Spirit, Magic and Dragon respectively). It is possible to be Clanless(see below Extraxi Clan):

Bestia
The Bestia clan of Ferrans have the gift of animal kind, gaining some animalistic traits, the Bestia clan are usually the warriors in Ferran villages.

Bestia Clan Traits: These are in addition to Ferran Traits except where noted.
-2 Intelligence, Bestia Ferrans are strong for their nimble size but are not as learned as most races. This replaces the standard Ferran Stat Modifiers.
Bestia Ferrans add Survival to their list of Class Skills.
+2 Racial Bonus on Survival.
Bestia Ferrans Gain Scent(Ex.)
Spell Like Ability: 1/Day-Animalistic Power, lesser, as the spell Animalistic Power but the duration is equal to 1 round/level. They have a Caster Level Equal to their Level; The Save DC for the Spell Like Ability is DC 11 + The Bestia Clan Ferran's Str Modifier.
Favoured Class: Ranger or Barbarian. A multiclass Bestia Ferran's Ranger of Barbarian Class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Sero
The Sero clan of Ferrans have the gift of Plant life, gaining traits which connects them to the natural world, The Sero clan are known for protecting nature.

Sero Clan Traits: These are in addition to Ferran Traits except where noted.
+2 Constitution, Sero Clan Ferrans are very resilient and healthy.
Sero Ferrans add Knowledge (Nature) to their list of Class Skills.
+2 Racial Bonus on Knowledge (Nature).
Live off the Land (Su.):Sero Ferrans do not need to sleep to gain the effects of a full nights rest, however they can only use this ability in natural environments and cannot take part in anything more than light activity.
Spell Like Ability: 1/Day-Entangle They have a Caster Level equal to their Level; The Save DC for the Spell Like Ability is DC 11 + The Sero Clan Ferran's Con Modifier.
Favoured Class: Druid. A multiclass Sero Ferran's Druid Class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Animus
The Animus Clan of Ferrans are imbued with the gift of the Spirit, they act as the Ferran community Spiritual leaders, and all praise the Infinite Sanctum.

Animus Clan Traits: These are in addition to Ferran Traits except where noted.
+2 Wisdom, Animus Clan Ferrans are highly spiritual and have great faith.
Animus Ferrans add Knowledge (Religion) to their list of Class Skills.
+2 Racial Bonus on Knowledge (Religion)
Guided by the Infinite Sanctum (Ex.): An Animus Clan Ferran gains a bonus to Melee attack and damage rolls equal to their level divided by four(minimum of one), this bonus increases until 20th level where it reaches the maximum of +5.
Spell Like Ability: 1/Day-Detect Undead They have a Caster Level equal to their Level.
Favoured Class: Spirit Shaman. A multiclass Animus Ferran's Spirit Shaman Class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Veneficus
The Veneficus Clan of Ferrans have the gift of Magic, they are revered in Ferran culture and usually serve the community as Scholars or Defend the community with their Arcane Might.

Veneficus Clan Traits: These are in addition to Ferran Traits except where noted.
+2 Charisma, Veneficus Ferrans have a natural magnetism and are very popular.
Veneficus Ferrans add Spellcraft to their list of Class Skills.
+2 Racial Bonus on Spellcraft
Elemental Fury (Su.): An Veneficus Ferran can make a Melee Touch Attack, using Charisma in place of Strength. If this attack hits the Veneficus Ferran deals 1d8 points of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the Veneficus Ferran possesses (2d8 at 3 HD, 3d8 at 6 HD, and so on). The damage can be acid, cold, electricity, or fire, changing on each use as the Veneficus Ferran chooses. A Veneficus Ferran can use her Elemental Fury attack once every 1d4 rounds. The Veneficus Ferran can choose to imbue a different touch attack(from a spell or Charnel Touch etc.) as a full round action, if he chooses to he deals an extra point of damage per dice of damage from Elemental Fury. It does acid, cold, electricity or fire damage.
Spell Like Ability: 1/Day-Detect Magic They have a Caster Level equal to their Level.
Favoured Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass Veneficus Ferran's Sorcerer Class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Extraxi
The Extraxi are given the gift of Dragons, which lets them learn some of the deadly techniques a Dragon uses to survive.

Extraxi Clan Traits: These are in addition to the Ferran Traits except where noted.
-2 Strength, The Extraxi Ferrans are weaker than Humans as is expected due to their size. This replaces the normal Ferran Stat Modifiers.
Extraxi Ferrans add Knowledge (Arcana) to their list of Class Skills.
+2 Racial Bonus to Knowledge (Arcana).
Dragon's Breath (Su.): An Extraxi can use a breath weapon just like the mighty Dragons. The Breath Weapon is a line, the line's length is 5 feet per Hit Die the Extraxi Ferran has, up to a maximum of 100 feet at 20 HD. The breath weapon deals 1d6 point of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the Extraxi Ferran possesses (2d6 at 3 HD, 3d6 at 6 HD, and so on). The damage can be acid, cold, electricity, or fire, changing on each use as the Extraxi Ferran chooses. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ the Extraxi Ferran's HD + her Con Modifier halves the damage. An Extraxi Ferran can use her breath weapon every 1d4 rounds. If the Extraxi Ferran has a Breath Weapon from another source it can choose to imbue it as a full round action, if he chooses to do so the Breath Weapon does an extra point of damage per dice of damage from Dragon's Breath. It does acid, cold, electricity or fire damage.
Spell Like Ability: 1/Day-Detect Dragonblood They have a Caster Level equal to their Level.
Favoured Class: Dragon Shaman. A multiclass Extraxi Ferran's Dragon Shaman Class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

The Clanless
The Clanless are extremely rare, and a great deal of superstition is based around these Ferrans; only the Infinite Sanctum knows their true purpose.

The Clanless Traits: These are in Addition to the Ferran Traits except where noted.
+2 Dexterity, the Clanless Ferrans are nimble and fast.
The Clanless Ferran's add Use Magic Device to their list of Class Skills.
+2 Racial Bonus to Use Magic Device.
Uncertain Path (Su.): It is hard to determine anything about a Clanless Ferran using magic, they are treated as having Spell Resistance of 5+ HD against Divination Spells and Spell Like Abilities. Clanless Ferrans cannot suppress the effect.
Favoured Class: Any. When Determining whether a Clanless Ferran takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.

Automatic Language: Common and Ferran. Bonus Languages: Celestial, Draconic, Elven, Halfling, Sylvan.
Favoured Class: Varies, Clan Dependant.

Table 1-1 Random Starting Ages
Races|Adulthood|Bar/Rog/Sor|Brd/Fig/Pal/Rgr|Clr/Drd/Mnk/Wiz
Ferran|14 years|+1d3|+1d4|+1d10

Table 1-2 Ageing Effects
{table=head]Races|Middle Age|Old|Venerable|Maximum Age
Ferran|30 years|60 years|90 years|+2d20 years
[/table]

Table 1-3 Height and Weight
{table=head]Race|Base Height|Height Modifier|Base Weight|Weight Modifier
Ferran, Male|2'11”|+3d4|30lbs|x(1)lbs
Ferran, Female|2'8”|+2d6|30lbs|x(1)lbs
[/table]

I'd like some feedback on the Ferrans, two main questions I'd like answered.

Are they balanced as a Race?
Are the Clans balanced to each other?

If you notice any errors, would you please notify me so I can correct them and any other feedback is appreciated, Thank You.

Oregano
2008-03-09, 02:51 PM
Sample Encounter
Ferrans are often encountered in the deep forests where they live or otherwise take refuge, this is the place many Ferrans feel at home, other Ferrans are encountered travelling the roads.
EL1: Tolero is a young Ferran of the Bestia clan, he serves his home by patrolling the woods helping those in danger and warding of those in danger. Most likely Tolero will detect someone via Scent and go towards them, he will not attack the PCs first, asking their business in the woods. If The PCs attack Tolero will enter a rage and only disengage his rage when the enemy is unconsious or dead.

Tolero Bestia Altor CR1
Male Ferran Barbarian 1
NG Small Humanoid
Init +6 Senses Darkvision 60ft, Scent, Listen +4
Languages Common, Ferran
Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 0
Special Actions Rage
Combat Gear Battleaxe, Studded Leather, Buckler
Skills Jump +7, Survival +6, Listen +4, Climb +3
Posessions Battleaxe, Studded Leather, Buckler

Hazkali
2008-03-09, 07:24 PM
Firstly, you've put down a whole lot of material, and I've only skimmed most of it, so I apologise if what I say is wrong on any count. The problem with this race is that it has at least two -2 to ability scores, which can be three if certain clans are taken. There is very little that can overcome such a debilitation without bringing in balance issues either at low or high levels. Certainly, some of the abilities like Guided by the Infinite Sanctum and Dragon's Breath are quite powerful for racial abilities but come with heavy penalties.

Ultimately, as these break the standard set by most LA+0 D+D races there will need to be much play testing done. I can't really judge as they fall quite far beyond the standard mould.

One thing I don't like though is the different racial abilities for different clans; I see where this comes from in your fluff, but I personally find it contradictory to lump creatures together in a race when they have different abilities, but then that's just me.

I apologise if any of this sounds abrupt... the idea is good, and it's a shame it has languished uncritiqued for a while.

Oregano
2008-03-10, 02:56 AM
Firstly, you've put down a whole lot of material, and I've only skimmed most of it, so I apologise if what I say is wrong on any count.

Yes, it is a lot of material, even if you just look at the Crunch but thanks for atleast Skimming it.

The problem with this race is that it has at least two -2 to ability scores, which can be three if certain clans are taken. There is very little that can overcome such a debilitation without bringing in balance issues either at low or high levels. Certainly, some of the abilities like Guided by the Infinite Sanctum and Dragon's Breath are quite powerful for racial abilities but come with heavy penalties.

The Clans with minuses under their stat modifiers(Bestia and Extraxi) don't take an additonal minus, they instead replace their normal stat modifiers, they also have two default minuses because of 30ft movement and powerful abilities.

Ultimately, as these break the standard set by most LA+0 D+D races there will need to be much play testing done. I can't really judge as they fall quite far beyond the standard mould.

This was an issue I encountered aswell, although they are quite similiar to the Dragonborn(minus the pseudo template), this in giving variety within the race at character creation.

One thing I don't like though is the different racial abilities for different clans; I see where this comes from in your fluff, but I personally find it contradictory to lump creatures together in a race when they have different abilities, but then that's just me.

That is a similiarity to Dragonborn(but they aren't exactly their own race, not yet anyway), They do seem more like Subraces of Ferrans but I named them Clans instead(for fluff purposes).

I apologise if any of this sounds abrupt... the idea is good, and it's a shame it has languished uncritiqued for a while.

Oh, Don't apologise you were honest with your opinions, which is all I wanted, and thank you for the compliment about the idea.

SoD
2008-03-10, 03:30 AM
Looking at the comment about the different clans with different powers, you could basically say that they are like this due to the power that infuzes them from their Gods (which, I feel is what you were saying).

Oregano
2008-03-10, 12:42 PM
Looking at the comment about the different clans with different powers, you could basically say that they are like this due to the power that infuzes them from their Gods (which, I feel is what you were saying).

That was the basic premise behind them, and thanks for reading(did you read it all?); have you got any suggestions on how to improve them fluff and balance wise?

Xyk
2008-03-10, 05:14 PM
One question. The plant one says they can only participate in light activity. So no fighting for them? or only at night or rest time...

Oregano
2008-03-11, 02:31 AM
One question. The plant one says they can only participate in light activity. So no fighting for them? or only at night or rest time...

That's only during the time in which they rest(usually 8 hours), it follow the same rules as resting they'll need to have an extra hour of light activity if they get disturbed.