PDA

View Full Version : How Low Can You Go?

merrja666
2008-03-08, 12:50 PM
LA is nearly always positive.... but a few cases are LA negative. Although this normally entails ruin, an Incarnate Construct Xvart has an LA of -4.....

If you used all D&D publications, how low could it go, and what is the minimum level for Epic?

Swooper
2008-03-08, 01:39 PM
Uhm... LA doesn't work like that. It doesn't go into the negatives. Even kobolds, who are CR 1/4, have LA +0. I don't know where Incarnate Construct Xvarts are from, but I won't believe they have negative LA until I see it. Negative LA would frell up game balance even more than it already is... We don't want that.

Kizara
2008-03-08, 01:44 PM
LA is nearly always positive.... but a few cases are LA negative. Although this normally entails ruin, an Incarnate Construct Xvart has an LA of -4.....

If you used all D&D publications, how low could it go, and what is the minimum level for Epic?

Playing a Monk will grant you -2 LA.

Also, playing a gnome will grant you -1 LA.

There's 3 for you anyways. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: On a more serious note, Epic starts 21 HD. Whether that's levels or dragon HD. Thus, even if you could somehow get -20 LA, unless that actually granted you HD (which I don't know if it does, as as far as I know it doesn't actually exist) you still wouldn't qualify for epic stuff.

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-08, 02:06 PM
Xvart are LA+0

Incarnate Constructs do have negative LAs, but they're from Savage Species, which is 3.0 and hasn't been updated to 3.5.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-08, 02:18 PM
What exactly did Incarnate Construcs do? I'm curious about how they got a negative LA.

PirateMonk
2008-03-08, 02:25 PM
Playing a Monk will grant you -2 LA.

Also, playing a gnome will grant you -1 LA.

There's 3 for you anyways. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: On a more serious note, Epic starts 21 HD. Whether that's levels or dragon HD. Thus, even if you could somehow get -20 LA, unless that actually granted you HD (which I don't know if it does, as as far as I know it doesn't actually exist) you still wouldn't qualify for epic stuff.

If you had -20 LA, you could have 21 levels with enough XP to be level 1.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-08, 02:26 PM
What exactly did Incarnate Construcs do? I'm curious about how they got a negative LA.

They can only be applied to a construct, which have high HD anyway, and they lose a ton of their defensive abilities in return for a playable int.

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-08, 02:28 PM
Thanks for telling me. How would negative LA work for races without a load of HDs to lose?

ZeroNumerous
2008-03-08, 02:47 PM
Thanks for telling me. How would negative LA work for races without a load of HDs to lose?

There aren't any negative LA sans Incarnate Construct.