PDA

View Full Version : Help me come up with a fun and intersting character to play.

Whiplord
2008-03-08, 03:19 PM
Basically I need a 5th level good or neutral character. However I have no clue as to what to play. I feel disillusioned with almost everyhing, and am at a loss as to what to play. I want something that gets lots of unique abilities and such, and I don't really want to play a spellcaster. So melee is in, but ToB is out unfortunately due to DM call.

Bonus points for using an intesring race with an LA of 1 or 2.

So:
Mele class
5th level
Good or neutral alignment
Unique race
Interesting abilities
Fun to play?

Any books beside ToB should be fine.

Thanks!

Solo
2008-03-08, 03:24 PM
You could make an Eldritch Glaivelock.

Whiplord
2008-03-08, 03:30 PM
I know I've read something on that before, but could you refresh me?

Zincorium
2008-03-08, 03:32 PM
Melee without tome of battle?

You want psychic warrior. You need psychic warrior.

Thri-keen is a fun, weird race, and it's pretty close to being worth the LA and RHD. But it's not particularly powerful.

If you want a really good race (close to broken but not actually such), check out savage species' anthropomorphic baleen whale. Absurdly good stats, large size, only three racial hit dice and no LA. And you're a freaking whale walking around on dry land. Give him a crazy swedish accent and a monocle, have him call himself a warrior poet. Run wild.

Whiplord
2008-03-08, 03:41 PM
That sounds interesting. I'll see if my DM allows it. He's not a huge fan of psionics, but he might let me use it. Kind of drawing off that. Are there any gish builds that are effective at lower levels?

SilentNight
2008-03-08, 03:43 PM
If you want a really good race (close to broken but not actually such), check out savage species' anthropomorphic baleen whale. Absurdly good stats, large size, only three racial hit dice and no LA. And you're a freaking whale walking around on dry land. Give him a crazy swedish accent and a monocle, have him call himself a warrior poet. Run wild.

Sweet.

Your options will become less limited when you reach 6th level and can take prestige classes. I love the thri-kreen but you may want to wait for a higher level.

I suggest a half-giant rog1(for skill points)/ psychic warrior 3 that uses skill tricks. Take "up the walls" so you can run "up the walls", jump off and then smash the puny humans with your giant sword.

snoopy13a
2008-03-08, 04:26 PM
Make a foppish fencer style fighter armed with a rapier with feats like Weapon Finesse :smalltongue:

Sure it isn't optimized but it'll be fun and interesting. Basically, you're pretending that your character belongs in a swashbuckler movie. RP-wise, you can threaten to duel NPCs that insult you and act as a hopeless romantic towards members of the opposite sex.

FlyMolo
2008-03-08, 04:33 PM
Sahaugin? 4 arms and such?

PsyWar is exactly what you want here. The trick is race.

If you can convince your DM that PsyWAr should get full BAB, all the better. They really should, you know.

And even if they don't, go into War Mind. Fun psionic gishness for everyone. A type of psionic rage, sweeping strike, various other goodies.

Whiplord
2008-03-08, 04:37 PM
Arguments for full BAB? And I would play the foppish rapier wielder, but that pretty much typifies every character another member of our group makes.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-08, 04:39 PM
Methinks I know which races will be innovative: Any race that is smaller than Small. Make yourself a good natured frenzied berserker, and say this constantly in a squeaky voice: "AAAAARRRRGH! Time to rain death from below! Die!", or this BGII inspired classic: "I Shall buttkick you in the name of justice so buttkickedly that there will be no butt to buttkick no more!"

Behold_the_Void
2008-03-08, 04:56 PM
What kind of campaign setting are we looking at here?

an kobold
2008-03-08, 04:57 PM
Tiefling duskblade with 3 level dip into swashbuckler.

Whiplord
2008-03-08, 05:20 PM
What kind of campaign setting are we looking at here?

I haven't been told much, but by it's likely fairly generic fare.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-08, 06:05 PM
A Jermalaine (tiny fey) with a Titan bloodline. Who wields a gargantuan warhammer. For the lulz.

FlyMolo
2008-03-08, 06:15 PM
Arguments for full BAB? And I would play the foppish rapier wielder, but that pretty much typifies every character another member of our group makes.

The duskblade is the primary example, I think. Another gish class, and they get full bab. Ask around, is my advice.

AslanCross
2008-03-08, 06:20 PM
That sounds interesting. I'll see if my DM allows it. He's not a huge fan of psionics, but he might let me use it. Kind of drawing off that. Are there any gish builds that are effective at lower levels?

Duskblade might suit you.

Edit: Ninja'd. D: Anyway, Duskblade has full BAB, d8 hit dice, and although it has a rather limited spell list, it has class features that ignore spell failure from armor and shields. It also gets a couple of other interesting features.

Kol Korran
2008-03-11, 09:09 AM
you asked for a fun character, but i don't know if that means an optimized one, rolepaly interesting one, or whatever...
anyway, one of my players played a character which he tremendeously enjoyed- a Poison Dusk Lizardman Brb1/ RogX... he alternated between ranged and melee combatant, and was bloody effective. however, you need to be imaginative for that. (oh, and take craft: poisonmaking).
but far more importently- he realy, realy, realy enjoyed the character! raging, sneaking, poisons, obscene hiding and skulking, a +4 AC from the start (+3 nat, +1 size), and a lot of moving around the battle (rouge skills, plus the racial bonuses, plus babrarian added movement). and of course- "sssssss! ssstupid varmsss blooddssss!"

tell us what sort of playing experience are youlooking for, whatyou enjoy, not enjoy, and maybe we can help you better

Prometheus
2008-03-11, 06:37 PM
I have one at isn't combat optimized but is very intereting rp-wise:
The Archetypal Firefighter

A strong with an uncanny resistance to fire (Half-Gold Dragon), this bighearted man does his duty to save others from the perils of disaster. From rescuing people from burning buildings to racing across a war-field to save innocents, he always tries to do the right things (Paladin). He avoids combat with an intelligent foe a all costs, preferring to focus on the common good.