PDA

View Full Version : hair dye??

Jae
2008-03-08, 06:20 PM
Question. (Yes I always have to announce when I have a question, it's a quirk of mine.)

I've been dying my hair since I was ehh 12 or so. Many, many different shades of red and dark brown and black and etc. Just basically, whatever color you can think of..I've been it. And I guess I'm asking the best way to go back to my natural color?? In retrospect, I'm not sure why I started dyeing (HA) because my real hair color in contrast to my uber blue eyes was nice to begin with.

And I actually looked somewhat Portuguese.
Lately I've felt some urgency to identify with my ethnicity :smalltongue:

tips?

Rawhide
2008-03-08, 06:34 PM
What was your original hair colour? It has probably changed somewhat by now (don't be surprised if it has, it does that a lot as people grow, naturally, not because of the hair dye), but I would suggest getting some hair dye that is the same as your natural colour was, then letting it smoothly transition to undyed.

Emperor Ing
2008-03-08, 06:38 PM
...or just dont use hair dye at all, wait for it to wash out. The only way for hair dye to permanently change your hair color is if it rearranged your DNA.

LightWraith
2008-03-08, 06:49 PM
...or just dont use hair dye at all, wait for it to wash out. The only way for hair dye to permanently change your hair color is if it rearranged your DNA.

That would be some awesome... yet probably cancer-inducing hair dye.

But yes, if you are looking to have your original color back immediately, you'll have to make a best guess at a dye to match and let it grow out.

Otherwise just let it grow out and your natural color should take over your head (barring awesome DNA altering, cancer-inducing nuclear hair dye).

BisectedBrioche
2008-03-08, 07:04 PM
Too much dying can be bad for your hair, so it might be better to just wash out the dye. Unless you bleached your hair lighter, then you'll have to dye it to its natural colour and wait.

Mando Knight
2008-03-08, 07:13 PM
I think what Rawhide meant was that natural hair color can naturally change over time. I know mine did: my mother has pictures of me with near-white hair from when I was like 2, but now my hair is dark brown.

However, I don't think that natural hair color changes that drastically during puberty, so yours should be about the same, Jae. I think.

You may want to just let your hair grow out, as permanent hair color isn't really permanent. Unless you got some kinda super-permanent hair coloring treatment that works like tattoos, which affect the pigments that the skin produces...

If you want to change your hair color back suddenly, you may indeed want to add another layer of dye to your hair, this time that of your natural hair color.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-08, 07:18 PM
Question. (Yes I always have to announce when I have a question, it's a quirk of mine.)

I've been dying my hair since I was ehh 12 or so. Many, many different shades of red and dark brown and black and etc. Just basically, whatever color you can think of..I've been it. And I guess I'm asking the best way to go back to my natural color?? In retrospect, I'm not sure why I started dyeing (HA) because my real hair color in contrast to my uber blue eyes was nice to begin with.

And I actually looked somewhat Portuguese.
Lately I've felt some urgency to identify with my ethnicity :smalltongue:

tips?

...aww, that gorgeous color wasn't natural? Shame...

...anyway, I'm curious as to what your original color is (my guess is blonde?). Other than that, I believe the question's been answered above several times. *nods*

Ego Slayer
2008-03-08, 08:20 PM
...or just dont use hair dye at all, wait for it to wash out.
Assuming she uses permanent dye, it doesn't just "wash out" it fades.. which doesn't mean it completely fades to her natural colour. Depending on the natural colour, having half your hair one colour and the other half natural as it grows out is... kinda awkward?

Hell Puppi
2008-03-08, 08:30 PM
Yeah depending on the natural color it may be best to dye it the closest color to what it is naturally, then let it grow out. If you're a blonde (which I'm guessing is not the case, but eh) it may be better to get your hair highlighted, as when it grows out there'll be less of a chance of having a weird two-tone color.
I know I've had to do this a few times. :smalltongue:

@V Oh I didn't mean it as a jab at you! :smallfrown: I was just assuming because she said she wanted to show off her ethnicity, and rarely one does that with blonde hair.
Unless you have that whiteish-blonde hair.
I think.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-08, 08:51 PM
Assuming she uses permanent dye, it doesn't just "wash out" it fades.. which doesn't mean it completely fades to her natural colour. Depending on the natural colour, having half your hair one colour and the other half natural as it grows out is... kinda awkward?

...I would think that would look awesome! >.>

...also, HellPuppi, I guessed blonde because red, brown, and black were (assumed) incorrect answers, and that was the only other color I could think of. >.>

Trog
2008-03-08, 08:54 PM
*gets out head shaver*

No problem.

*BZZZZZZZZZZ* :smallamused:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-08, 08:57 PM
*gets out head shaver*

No problem.

*hides and shivers*...no...not that...anything but that! >.<

Ego Slayer
2008-03-08, 08:59 PM
...I would think that would look awesome! >.>
Well, once you get to a certain point, it looks good (a few inches at the end of my hair are intentionally red), but... before you get to that point it looks a little weird.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-08, 09:04 PM
Well, once you get to a certain point, it looks good (a few inches at the end of my hair are intentionally red), but... before you get to that point it looks a little weird.

...*shrugs*...everything has awkward stages. I still think it would look awesome in the end. And that's what counts, right?

...also...*hugs your hair*...pretty!

FdL
2008-03-08, 09:38 PM
Are you from a portuguese ethnicity, Jae? I had never thought you had your hair dyed. Looks really natural.

Jae
2008-03-08, 10:39 PM
Wowww! Man, everytime I sign on I am SHOCKED at the number of replies my threads get. Really you guys just love me way too much :smallamused: :smalltongue: (waits for opposition..) :smalleek:

First of all, I'm very aware that hair color changes naturally. (Of course I am, I have the biggest hair fetish evah.)

Assuming she uses permanent dye, it doesn't just "wash out" it fades.. which doesn't mean it completely fades to her natural colour.
Exactly.. QFE.

...aww, that gorgeous color wasn't natural? Shame...
Noope. sorry. and I've probably posted pictures from different months in my life, meaning you probably saw different shades anyways. The one where Im on the floor (heh) and that picture with my ex are the most recent color, and the most like my natural..dark and such.

...anyway, I'm curious as to what your original color is (my guess is blonde?)When I was younger it was a golden brown (closer to my current color) but I know from my roots it's gotten much much darker...more like my mothers hair color. So yeah dark brown.
I get a LOT of people guessing blonde. It's funny, it's the one color I've never been. I think people assume from my eyes..? And unreasonably pale skin. But hey I tan really easily okay :smallannoyed: In the summer I get rather dark, running around (literally) and such.

You know I'll find a picture of my natural color, from when I was little or something, and post it. Taking into consideration that my hair was lighter when I was younger..

Are you from a portuguese ethnicity, Jae?
Sure am. Not full, but more so than anything else. Dont look it, right? I know :smallfrown:
LIKE I SAID I do more so when Im tan and w/ my natural color

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-08, 10:53 PM
Wowww! Man, everytime I sign on I am SHOCKED at the number of replies my threads get. Really you guys just love me way too much :smallamused: :smalltongue: (waits for opposition..) :smalleek:

Yeah, I guess we love you. *hugs* :P

...actually, I just find that you usually post intriguing or thought-inspiring things. *nods* ...and you give me a chance to be long-winded with things like this. Tell me to shut up at any time. *grins*

First of all, I'm very aware that hair color changes naturally. (Of course I am, I have the biggest hair fetish evah.)

...another one? Curse my hair! >.<

Exactly.. QFE.

E?

Noope. sorry. and I've probably posted pictures from different months in my life, meaning you probably saw different shades anyways. The one where Im on the floor (heh) and that picture with my ex are the most recent color, and the most like my natural..dark and such.

...really? That's a very pretty color, lucky you!

When I was younger it was a golden brown (closer to my current color) but I know from my roots it's gotten much much darker...more like my mothers hair color. So yeah dark brown.
I get a LOT of people guessing blonde. It's funny, it's the one color I've never been. I think people assume from my eyes..? And unreasonably pale skin. But hey I tan really easily okay :smallannoyed: In the summer I get rather dark, running around (literally) and such.

...dark hair and light eyes are so pretty together. *jealous*

...hmm. You didn't strike me as that pale...

You know I'll find a picture of my natural color, from when I was little or something, and post it. Taking into consideration that my hair was lighter when I was younger..

...yay, pictures!

Sure am. Not full, but more so than anything else. Dont look it, right? I know :smallfrown:
LIKE I SAID I do more so when Im tan and w/ my natural color

...Portuguese people have a look? This I did not know.

Jae
2008-03-09, 03:38 AM
...actually, I just find that you usually post intriguing or thought-inspiring things. *nods*
I think I'd be more complimented had this not been said in a thread I started about..
hair. heh. :smallwink:
But actually thank you. I dont really see how I could be intriguing or provoke thought on a site like this where everybody seems a little..over my head? I guess?
And surely not anything original/unmentioned before :smalltongue:

E?

Ecstasy.
...But actually Emphasis. lol. Quoted for Emphasis.

Portuguese people have a look? This I did not know.
Kinda..(sighs) It isn't distinct. In fact, it's mainly dark hair and dark eyes..blue/green eyes with some frequency as well, though. And that I've noticed, the norm tends to be thinner lips too. Oh, and darker skin. Definitely not superwhite like me :smallyuk: heh. But yeah just idk really subtle stuff that you have to think about to notice...

Oh and gah. This was from seventh grade..? I think? Well whatever. haha I went through an awkward stage in jr high but hey majority of you think I'm pretty now anyways, right? I scarcely care.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/hjustine13/image0.jpg
Picture is lightened so you can SEE my hair color. haha. Yeah it looks pretty dark there...
And my eyes are excessively gray so that pretty contrast is ruined. The ratio has changed in the past few years to mostly blue and hint of gray. It dissapoints me, actually.. =/

thubby
2008-03-09, 04:13 AM
choose a color that goes with your natural color but is different and that faids well. then let your hair grow, by the time you have all your natural hair color you'll have gone through about 8 different styles.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-09, 08:39 AM
I think I'd be more complimented had this not been said in a thread I started about..
hair. heh. :smallwink:
But actually thank you. I dont really see how I could be intriguing or provoke thought on a site like this where everybody seems a little..over my head? I guess?
And surely not anything original/unmentioned before :smalltongue:

...meh. You'd be surprised. And what's wrong with hair, exactly?

...also...over your head?

Ecstasy.
...But actually Emphasis. lol. Quoted for Emphasis.

Drugs are bad! No! >.<

Kinda..(sighs) It isn't distinct. In fact, it's mainly dark hair and dark eyes..blue/green eyes with some frequency as well, though. And that I've noticed, the norm tends to be thinner lips too. Oh, and darker skin. Definitely not superwhite like me :smallyuk: heh. But yeah just idk really subtle stuff that you have to think about to notice...

...so...kinda like Spanish people?

Oh and gah. This was from seventh grade..? I think? Well whatever. haha I went through an awkward stage in jr high but hey majority of you think I'm pretty now anyways, right? I scarcely care.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/hjustine13/image0.jpg
Picture is lightened so you can SEE my hair color. haha. Yeah it looks pretty dark there...
And my eyes are excessively gray so that pretty contrast is ruined. The ratio has changed in the past few years to mostly blue and hint of gray. It dissapoints me, actually.. =/

...aww, but you look pretty! And I like the shirt. Also, why would you ever dye your hair, that's a lovely color!

...also, this topic is making me feel far too effeminate. >.<

Jae
2008-03-09, 12:36 PM
And what's wrong with hair, exactly?
Haha it's not exactly..thought-provoking, to say the least.

...also...over your head?
Mmmhmm. Most of the game/comic stuff on here I know nothing about so I can only talk about so much on this forum.

...so...kinda like Spanish people?
Yep, basically.

...aww, but you look pretty!
Oh ewwww. I was not the prettiest girl in jr high..
lol which I dont mind horridly because apparently I got into high school and drastically changed or sumthin'.

And I like the shirt.
hahah. I was a spunky little kid. See, we had uniforms at my old school except for picture day so I wore as much attitude as I possibly could.
Lets just go with I hated the system from a young age and had an unreasonable disregard for authority.

Also, why would you ever dye your hair, that's a lovely color!
Because, it was plain. I very much admire original hair (not the omgzguyz my hair iz blue now!11!eleven! but the actual original hair..) and red is an unappreciated and different color. And I reallyreally wanted to have red hair haha.
And now EVERYONE thinks of me as a redhead, regardless, so I guess I got my wish. :smallmad:

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-09, 12:45 PM
Haha it's not exactly..thought-provoking, to say the least.

I disagree, based on the volume of response here.

Mmmhmm. Most of the game/comic stuff on here I know nothing about so I can only talk about so much on this forum.

...ah. I see. I was taking that another way.

Yep, basically.

...woo, Spanish people! *is totally not Spanish at all. Totally*

Oh ewwww. I was not the prettiest girl in jr high..
lol which I dont mind horridly because apparently I got into high school and drastically changed or sumthin'.

Meh. Not as drastic as you think, or something, but whatever.

...*wonders why pretty people have a hard time accepting this*...

hahah. I was a spunky little kid. See, we had uniforms at my old school except for picture day so I wore as much attitude as I possibly could.
Lets just go with I hated the system from a young age and had an unreasonable disregard for authority.

...haha...yes, I'd say that much...

Because, it was plain. I very much admire original hair (not the omgzguyz my hair iz blue now!11!eleven! but the actual original hair..) and red is an unappreciated and different color. And I reallyreally wanted to have red hair haha.
And now EVERYONE thinks of me as a redhead, regardless, so I guess I got my wish. :smallmad:

...what's wrong with blue hair? *glares*

...also, red is a gorgeous har color. *nods*

Jae
2008-03-09, 05:37 PM
I disagree, based on the volume of response here.
Yeah, see, that's what makes no sense...

...woo, Spanish people! *is totally not Spanish at all. Totally*
lol well I'm not either...Spain and Portugal are close but not really the same place.
Spain is better known :smallyuk:

Meh. Not as drastic as you think, or something, but whatever.

...*wonders why pretty people have a hard time accepting this*...
If I HAVENT changed drastically than...ew. haha.
I have no problem accepting that I look uh just fine. ha.

...haha...yes, I'd say that much...
:smallbiggrin: It's funny, because I've also heard I look rather..innocent, to say the least. And then people realize wow she isn't actually just this cute little complacent girl..
Generally, they seem a bit taken aback. Maybe even intimidated.
:smalltongue: Definitely gives me the upperhand majority of the time

...what's wrong with blue hair? *glares*

...also, red is a gorgeous har color. *nods*
Nothinnn'. But whenever some spunky little teenybopper wants to be original they do some wierd, obviously not natural color and idk doesn't appeal to me? Reminds me of the hot topic fashion punks, I guess. (Fashion punks who don't realize how corporate they are=the epitome of everything I stand against :smallyuk:)
And I'd have to agree on the red thing. It's really pretty. thats why I chose it for so long.
but now I wouldnt mind being me..again. heh.

Lyesmith
2008-03-09, 05:56 PM
I've thought about dyeing my hair before, but i cant really see it as anything but my natural Brown.

My mother used to add some henna to hers, gave it a sorta reddish tint. I might try that.

Zeb The Troll
2008-03-10, 02:12 AM
...Portuguese people have a look? This I did not know.Indeed, and it's a good one, in my view. The Portuguese are of Germanic and Moorish decent. It's a beautiful blend of European build with Middle Eastern color. My ex-wife is half Portuguese and my daughter (Belethorien, there are pictures of her with me in the You threads) got her looks from that side of the family.

...woo, Spanish people! *is totally not Spanish at all. Totally*Are you confusing Spanish with Hispanic? Because they're not the same thing. Modern Spaniards are very European, typically, and if you were to stand a Spaniard next to, say, a South American or a Puerto Rican most folks would rarely confuse the two.

Syka
2008-03-10, 06:45 AM
My boyfriend has the dark hair and blue eyes (well, they change from blue to gray to green...come to think of it, all three guys I've dated have had blue eyes and all of them change color). I love the combination, personally. :)

As for henna making red hair, hows that work? I want to do my hair a dark red color and so far the only color I found I like is the Vampire Red from Manic Panic (if you go to their hair dye website, it's the color the girl has who didn't bleach her hair first). I already have a reddish tint when my hair is in natural light.

Cheers,
Syka

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-10, 08:38 AM
*nods*...I'm not, Zeb. I've just got a varied background. Why? Do I look Hispanic?

Thes Hunter
2008-03-10, 08:55 AM
Jae,

I don't know if your original question ever got answered....

But it is generally a good idea to go to a professional when you want to go back to an original color. And a good (ie expensive) professional to boot. They are the most knowledgible and skilled at determining what your current natural color is, and how the dies in your hair currently might react to a new color.

Jae
2008-03-10, 08:01 PM
Indeed, and it's a good one, in my view.
My mother and aunt both look fairly Portuguese and they're both really pretty. Outside of them, uhhh Ive seen some not so pretty portuguese girls :smalltongue:
But the guys are pretty FINE
Check out Portugal's soccer team. mmmyummy. :smallbiggrin: :smallredface:

well, they change from blue to gray to green...
Oh, yeah, if my eyes arent like..moist-ish they're gray. Like, really gray. It used to be that they were just gray constantly but now that I wear contacts, my eyes are always fairly moist so they're always pretty blue with just a gray hint. I actually miss my eyes looking gray :smallmad:
Plus, when you have gray eyes most of the time and then start crying and they turn BRIGHT BLUE, makes you look twice as innocent and adorable. Haha. Naaw, I havent figured out to use my looks to my advantage AT ALL.

But it is generally a good idea to go to a professional when you want to go back to an original color.
Yeah I have a pretty good stylist right now. But yeah uh damned expensive. Actually, she works at my friends' salon.
But Im not sure how my mom is going to feel about me getting my hair dyed there, being that it's so costly. And my mom likes to make me work for things..haha rarely do I get my way with her.

@V thankyouuuuuuuu!!! :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2008-03-10, 11:20 PM
*nods*...I'm not, Zeb. I've just got a varied background. Why? Do I look Hispanic?No, I was just talking about the fact that her description of a dark skinned/dark haired Portuguese look made you say "woooo....Spanish people" when in fact Spaniards are typical Europeans and just as frequently blonde haired and blue eyed as any other European country. I thought maybe you meant to say "hispanic peoples" instead because they are more often actually darkly colored and often the two terms are thought to be interchangeable when they aren't.

@Jae - psssst, you double posted there ^. :smallcool:

Jagg
2008-03-10, 11:55 PM
*gets out head shaver*

No problem.

I agree with Trog, and look you can even do it for a cause.....
http://www.worldsgreatestshave.com/

Hurry you haven't got long....