PDA

View Full Version : Classes mix

Demons_eye
2008-03-08, 08:02 PM
Ok....
So I am a 3 cleric 3 wizard and I am Plaining to take a level in Mystic Theurge.
Well then can I take. at my 7th level, a level in geomancer and then gain the level in Mystic Theurge and gain levels in wizard and cleric?

Dr Bwaa
2008-03-08, 08:07 PM
I will warn you right now about all the people who will shortly come stomping down on you for going Mystic Theurge and saying what a crap class it is.

As it is a terribly unpotimized class, I suggest taking whatever you want after that purely for the flavor of your character.

Emperor Tippy
2008-03-08, 08:09 PM
Level 1: Wizard
Level 2: Wizard
Level 3: Wizard
Level 4: Cleric
Level 5: Cleric
Level 6: Cleric
Level 7: Geomancer
Level 8-17: Mystic Theuge
Level 18-20: Whatever you want

The above works just fine and at level 17 you cast as a level 14 wizard, level 13 cleric. You suck compared to a pure wizard or cleric but by RAW you can do it if you want.

Zincorium
2008-03-08, 08:11 PM
Mystic theurge is just bland.

Geomancer is actively problematic. It only advances one of your classes, and you need to take a whole bunch of levels before you can take full advantage of the spell versatility. Taking a single level will let you mess with the parameters of level 0 spells, and that's not impressive by any yardstick.

Demons_eye
2008-03-08, 08:12 PM
ok... so tell me what "terribly unpotimized class" means? And why is it bad?

Nohwl
2008-03-08, 08:16 PM
it gives you versatility instead of specialization. specialization is a much better thing in D&D. there is almost no use for having that many spells available to cast each day.

Demons_eye
2008-03-08, 08:20 PM
So it dose me no good to be able to cast level 7 spells on both sides?

MeklorIlavator
2008-03-08, 08:26 PM
Sure it's good to be able to cast spells from both sides, but it doesn't make up for the fact that you miss out on 8th/9th level spells. Or the fact that you get these spells later than a straight caster would.

SofS
2008-03-08, 08:27 PM
It truly depends on the kind of game you're in. D&D favours specialization due to, among other reasons, the idea of a "balanced party". If you have 2 or more other people in your party, it's more effective to be very good at one thing than pretty good at several other things, as somebody else in the party will probably be better than you at a given task and D&D isn't all that great on having people combine their abilities. If your party doesn't have many people in it, then filling two roles will probably be quite worthwhile. Also, having lots of spells of different types will be good for you if the game you're in stresses doing plenty of things without the chance to recharge.

Nohwl
2008-03-08, 08:29 PM
you are still limited by how many spells you can cast each round. unless you are having a huge number of encounters per day thrown at you, you will never run out of spells. i was using one recently, i never had less than half of my spells left before we rested. i couldnt justify using a higher level spell to kill something when a lower level spell was all that was required, so it would be like i was only using wizard spells for a day or only using cleric spells for a day.

Zincorium
2008-03-08, 08:30 PM

As opposed to casting level 9 spells?

Which do you want, limited wish or wish and limited wish both? Things like Gate, time stop, and implosion, just to name a few, are just so much better than their predecessors that it's very difficult to justify getting more of the lower level spells.

The real problem is that your spell's effects and saving throws are not going to keep pace with the enemies that you are fighting as well as a single-classed character.

You're also cutting yourself off from a host of good prestige classes that single class characters can take advantage of.

Demons_eye
2008-03-08, 08:33 PM
Ok....
We do only have one other guy that will come to the game and one other that might come. And I am runing out of spells alot healing the other guys. Who is a pladian.

If you dont think its a good class what would be a good one for me if my dm dosent let me change back.

Nohwl
2008-03-08, 08:37 PM
probably a stupid question, but if hes a paladin, why isnt he healing himself?

Demons_eye
2008-03-08, 08:40 PM
He dose then needs more healing, or he heals me when the arrows hit me and I kill over when I am healing him.

Sucrose
2008-03-08, 08:42 PM
probably a stupid question, but if hes a paladin, why isnt he healing himself?

To be fair, the Pally can only heal so much, and he might not have a terribly high Charisma.

Anyway, Mystic Theurge does well as a stop-gap for small parties, but do keep in mind that your spells' saving throws and total effects likely won't keep pace with what you're going to be facing. You'll probably want to focus on buffing, utility and no-save spells.

You'll be okay as a Mystic Theurge, but it isn't as good as the chance to just specialize.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-03-09, 10:14 AM
Right, since your already a wizard 3/cleric 3 you might as well go for MT, your through the worst of it anyway, so if you didn't experience any problems so far you'll probebly do fine for the rest of your career.

Squash Monster
2008-03-09, 12:27 PM
For your paladin friend, one of you should buy a wand of cure light wounds. They're cheap, and can do all your post-battle healing for you.

MeklorIlavator
2008-03-09, 12:36 PM
For your paladin friend, one of you should buy a wand of cure light wounds. They're cheap, and can do all your post-battle healing for you.

OR, if you have access to it, a wand of vigor. Better out-of combat healing, though worse in combat healing(granted, in combat healing is pretty bad).

Chronos
2008-03-09, 01:56 PM
It seems the OP's question has been lost in the discussion of Mystic Theurge in general. No, you cannot use Geomancer's "+1 to existing class" to advance Mystic Theurge spellcasting, since the Mystic Theurge class does not actually have spellcasting of its own (it just advances spellcasting from some other class). You could use Geomancer to advance Cleric or Wizard, but that's almost certainly not worthwhile (at least, not until after you finish out Mystic Theurge).