PDA

View Full Version : Pearl of Power for spontaneous casters?

LoneGamer
2008-03-08, 10:03 PM
Hi all,

Pearls of Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower) only work for prepared casters, according to SRD. Is there an equivalent to this for spontaneous casters (Bard, Favoured Soul, Duskblade, etc.) anywhere? How reasonable is it to houserule these items would work for spontaneous casters?

Thanks!

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-08, 10:20 PM
There's Memento Magica from MIC.

valadil
2008-03-09, 01:13 AM
Hi all,

Pearls of Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower) only work for prepared casters, according to SRD. Is there an equivalent to this for spontaneous casters (Bard, Favoured Soul, Duskblade, etc.) anywhere? How reasonable is it to houserule these items would work for spontaneous casters?

Thanks!

I was unaware of that. My groups have always let spontaneous casters have PoPs too. Given that wizard is often considered better than sorcerer, it doesn't make sense to only give the wizards this sort of item.

LoneGamer
2008-03-09, 02:52 AM
There's Memento Magica from MIC.

Thanks. I was sure there was something in there, but failed my Search check to find it earlier today.

LibraryOgre
2008-03-09, 02:54 AM
I was unaware of that. My groups have always let spontaneous casters have PoPs too. Given that wizard is often considered better than sorcerer, it doesn't make sense to only give the wizards this sort of item.

It's essentially Mordenkainen's Lucubration, though without the requirement (hint hint, a good way to get around the level requirement... which I think was invalidated by the FAQ, anyway)

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-09, 10:51 AM
Ooh, just hijacking the thread a bit here, but how exactly do Pearls of power work? is it essentially an extra spell slot, or does it just let you instantly reprepare a spell without increasing your maximum casts per day?

valadil
2008-03-09, 11:23 AM
It lets you recast a spell that was already cast that day. So for a sorcerer it would NOT be an extra slot, but an extra slot for spells that have been cast.

Paul H
2008-03-09, 11:47 AM
Hi

Pearls of Power are for those who prepare spells, and they regain a spell as if it had never been cast.

Momento Magikas are for spontaneous casters, who regain spell slots (not specifically spells cast).

Eg. A sorceror could cast mage armour, use the Memento Magika to regain the slot, (standard action) then cast magic missile. A wizard could cast mage armour, use pearl power (again a standard action), but could only recast mage armour.

This is why -
Pearls of Power cost Spell Lvl squared x 1000gp.
Momento Magika cost Spell Slot squared x 1500gp

Cheers
Paul H
Edit:
Good example is my character in the RPGA Living Greyhawk campaign (a Dwarf Clr 3/Warmage 4/Mystic Theurge 4), who makes/uses both.