PDA

View Full Version : Celia is an Outsider

kpenguin
2008-03-09, 12:20 AM
I think the latest strip ends the debate over whether Celia is an outsider, elemental, or fey. Alter self only allows you change into a creature of the same type as you.

Those same people who still believe that Belkar is Netural Good with slight evil tendency or who think that Therkla is Haley in disguise won't be convinced, but we can disregard them... right?:smalleek:

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-09, 12:27 AM
Those same people who still believe that Belkar is Netural Good with slight evil tendency
Don't be silly. We all know that Belkar is a Lawful Good paladin in disguise.

What I am more interested in is Celia's class. "And not a sorcerer who didn't happen to take any necromancy spells" implies that she is a sorceror. Would explain Charisma. But I always thought that she has a "civilian" class...

Lizard Lord
2008-03-09, 12:28 AM
Neutral good with evil tendencies does not compute.

Anyway, back on topic. Did Celia say that she was an outsider earlier? Also couldn't someone have looked up Sylph in the appropriate book?

And yea, I also thought she had the expert npc class.

SPoD
2008-03-09, 12:28 AM
Wasn't it ended in #533 when she specifically said she was an Outsider?

In all likelihood, she's an Outsider with an elemental (or paraelemental) subtype, like a djinn.

What I am more interested in is Celia's class. "And not a sorcerer who didn't happen to take any necromancy spells" implies that she is a sorceror. Would explain Charisma. But I always thought that she has a "civilian" class...

She has sorcerer casting level equal to her monster Hit Dice, according to #530.

kpenguin
2008-03-09, 12:42 AM

You mean when Celia said "How would they know I was an Outsider from the message?"?

Well, I think that the "would" left a possibility that she was speaking rhetorically. If she said "How did they know I was an Outsider from the message", I'd say it ended there.

bluish_wolf
2008-03-09, 12:49 AM
She is a fairy from the elemental plane of air. In other words, she is a fairy and an outsider and an elemental.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-10, 08:53 PM
There was a debate?

I mean, I know that the subject comes up an awful lot since a lot of folks don't have Monster Manual II, but we've known from day one that she's a sylph. And the folks that do have that book have generally been kind enough to point out that sylphs are listed as "Outsider (Air)" with "Environment: Elemental Plane of Air." Not really much wiggle room there.

Regneva
2008-03-11, 07:08 AM

Lots of characters (Including giant himself) said that Belkar was evil. It didn't end anything really...

Studoku
2008-03-11, 07:10 AM

I don't think she has class levels, but her race grants her sorceror levels equal to her hit dice.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-11, 07:54 AM
I don't think she has class levels, but her race grants her sorceror levels equal to her hit dice.
See panel seven of comic #530 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0530.html). :smallbiggrin:

Craig1f
2008-03-11, 10:06 AM
Outsider is relative. If you're not from the plane of existence that you're currently on, you're an outsider.

If a human goes to the plane of fire, they are considered an Outsider there. If someone casts dismissal on the human, they will be thrust back into the material plane at a random location.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-03-11, 10:13 AM
Outsider is relative. If you're not from the plane of existence that you're currently on, you're an outsider.

If a human goes to the plane of fire, they are considered an Outsider there. If someone casts dismissal on the human, they will be thrust back into the material plane at a random location.

No, you're thinking of the Extraplanar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#extraplanarSubtype) subtype. An Outsider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType) must be composed of the essence of a plane other than the Material Plane.

Rad
2008-03-11, 10:46 AM
There was a debate?

I mean, I know that the subject comes up an awful lot since a lot of folks don't have Monster Manual II, but we've known from day one that she's a sylph. And the folks that do have that book have generally been kind enough to point out that sylphs are listed as "Outsider (Air)" with "Environment: Elemental Plane of Air." Not really much wiggle room there.

I was under the impression that Sylphs were small sized while Celia is shown as medium sized in the comic.

Studoku
2008-03-11, 12:40 PM
I was under the impression that Sylphs were small sized while Celia is shown as medium sized in the comic.
It's artistic liscense. Rich does the same thing with goblins.

jameslt0
2008-03-11, 04:05 PM

There is some rule that allows for different size catagories of some monsters, I am not sure where it is, but I am fairly certain it does exist. May have to do with monster lvls. I will do some research to see if I can't find that information again.

monty
2008-03-11, 06:34 PM
There is some rule that allows for different size catagories of some monsters, I am not sure where it is, but I am fairly certain it does exist. May have to do with monster lvls. I will do some research to see if I can't find that information again.

Nope. "Advancement 4-9 HD (small)." But gods forbid that Rich might actually homebrew something or just *gasp* ignore the rules!

Also, I'm sure there are feats and stuff to make a medium sylph by RAW.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-11, 07:58 PM
Hm. Missed that. Might be because I don't have the book myself and am just going by what's already been confirmed. :smallwink:

In any case, the aforementioned goblin thing indicates Rich is plenty willing to mess with the way he portrays certain size categories. But I don't think he messes with creature types quite so much. :smallcool: