PDA

View Full Version : Did Belkar Just activate the MoJ?

Hario
2008-03-09, 12:52 AM
In 538 he stabbed a Hobgoblin to death before he reached the gate, we are unsure if he's outside of city walls. It is possible he just activated the MoJ. I do tend to think Belkar might be a little more intelligent, knowing when to kill or not, but that assumption can only go so far with this crazed kidney stabbing halfling.

BRC
2008-03-09, 12:54 AM
Nope, they left the bounderies of the city, do you see buildings behind them?

Mars
2008-03-09, 12:55 AM
In 538 he stabbed a Hobgoblin to death before he reached the gate, we are unsure if he's outside of city walls. It is possible he just activated the MoJ. I do tend to think Belkar might be a little more intelligent, knowing when to kill or not, but that assumption can only go so far with this crazed kidney stabbing halfling.

Hasn't he been killing lots of hobgoblins?

I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!

FujinAkari
2008-03-09, 12:55 AM
Considering that they are on "a seldom-used path that leads through the mountains" (537), I'd say its pretty darn obvious that they aren't in the City anymore :P

Lunaya
2008-03-09, 01:47 AM
It looks like they're still outside the castle walls. So far, Belkar looks like he's feeling alright. I would guess the effects of the MoJ would be felt fairly quickly.

factotum
2008-03-09, 01:54 AM
Considering that they are on "a seldom-used path that leads through the mountains" (537), I'd say its pretty darn obvious that they aren't in the City anymore :P

Not to mention Haley's comment in the very first panel: "If we follow it, we should be able to bypass the city."

David Argall
2008-03-09, 03:01 AM
Look at the sky. It is blue, not the dark color[s] that overhang the city.

So they are miles outside the city now.

Mr._Michael
2008-03-09, 03:50 AM
Hasn't he been killing lots of hobgoblins?

I AM A SEXY SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!!!
Ah, but he did that after jumping off the wall... making him outside the city. When he was INSIDE the city, it was "Duck... duck... GOOSE!" seeing as he could only attack the undead. Same with the wights.

Theodoriph
2008-03-09, 03:56 AM
You're not sure if he's outside the city walls?

So...you didn't notice the mountains in the background...with no city walls or buildings in between??

Oy...a prime example of a failed spot check.

P.S. I'd also question why there would be a random armed fort in the middle of a city :)

TheWarBlade
2008-03-09, 04:16 AM
Well had he been inside the city and he had activated the mark of justice there would have been some kind of special effect. Like I dont know the heavens smiting Belkars ass into next weeks strip.

†Seer†
2008-03-09, 07:46 AM
Just to further clarify...

They're not in the city. ;) ;)

blackspeeker
2008-03-09, 12:35 PM
While I would love to see if they actually put the mark of justice on belkar or if it was just a way to control him, for now it appears I'll have top wait because like most others have said, they're outside the city.

Newtkeeper
2008-03-09, 06:02 PM
This is not the city you're looking for.

As a matter of fact, it isn't any city at all.

Phase
2008-03-10, 12:17 AM
Although I'm one-hundred percent sure that they are outside the city, if they were in the city, then it could have been that the cloister blocked the possible connection between the ruler of Azure city and the Mark of Justice and they just never noticed it...

Lunaya
2008-03-10, 12:30 AM
Besides, if there was any possibility of it activating the MoJ, I doubt Belkar would haved dared to risk killing the goblin.

Deathwisher
2008-03-11, 02:19 PM
Besides, if there was any possibility of it activating the MoJ, I doubt Belkar would haved dared to risk killing the goblin.

I am not so sure. he has gone a long time without killing any living beings. The withdrawal symptoms may just push him to risk it. But, in any case, it seems pretty obvious that they are indeed outside the city limits.

NerfTW
2008-03-11, 05:55 PM
I am not so sure. he has gone a long time without killing any living beings. The withdrawal symptoms may just push him to risk it. But, in any case, it seems pretty obvious that they are indeed outside the city limits.

He remembered the mark here, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0515.html) which was only the day before.

monty
2008-03-11, 06:24 PM
Although I'm one-hundred percent sure that they are outside the city, if they were in the city, then it could have been that the cloister blocked the possible connection between the ruler of Azure city and the Mark of Justice and they just never noticed it...

You draw an indelible mark on the subject and state some behavior on the part of the subject that will activate the mark. When activated, the mark curses the subject. Typically, you designate some sort of criminal behavior that activates the mark, but you can pick any act you please. The effect of the mark is identical with the effect of bestow curse.

Since this spell takes 10 minutes to cast and involves writing on the target, you can cast it only on a creature that is willing or restrained.

Like the effect of bestow curse, a mark of justice cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell. Remove curse works only if its caster level is equal to or higher than your mark of justice caster level. These restrictions apply regardless of whether the mark has activated.

No mention of a necessary link to anybody.

Zeitgeist
2008-03-11, 09:24 PM
No, they hadn't quite entered Mountaingateville yet.

Cifer
2008-03-11, 10:09 PM
@monty
It's fairly certain that Belkar's MoJ is a fairly homebrewed one.

monty
2008-03-11, 10:16 PM
I don't see why it needs to be homebrewed. It activates when he does certain things and can't be easily removed. Just like the regular one.

Zherog
2008-03-14, 04:56 PM
@monty
It's fairly certain that Belkar's MoJ is a fairly homebrewed one.

I agree with Monty. What about it makes you believe it's homebrewed?

technoextreme
2008-03-14, 06:06 PM
I have a theory that it doesn't exist. Roy just had a really good bluff roll.

Zherog
2008-03-14, 06:31 PM
I wouldn't discount that idea, technoextreme. I think that's plausible.

NikkTheTrick
2008-03-14, 06:40 PM
City is surrounded by a wall.

The wall is garrisoned by many, many hobgoblins.

A gnome would not make it past them. Therefore, they have to be outside the city limits (wall is the city limits as it was seen in the battle - the second Belkar jumped off the wall he said "leaving city limits" and proceeded gone a-murdering.

Mr._Michael
2008-03-14, 10:10 PM
I have a theory that it doesn't exist. Roy just had a really good bluff roll.
Well, there is certainly SOMETHING there, V could see it when he scanned Belkar for magic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html). It may indeed just be some magical graffiti, but as long as they were going through the trouble of putting a mark there, there would be no reason for them NOT to put restrictions in.

kentma57
2008-03-16, 04:12 PM
Well, there is certainly SOMETHING there, V could see it when he scanned Belkar for magic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0295.html). It may indeed just be some magical graffiti, but as long as they were going through the trouble of putting a mark there, there would be no reason for them NOT to put restrictions in.

You have to remember Arcane Mark is a 0-level spell...

The Extinguisher
2008-03-16, 04:21 PM
Okay, why would they do that. It's pretty much suicide.

What's worse: A pissed off Belkar who can't actually kill you, or a pissed off Belkar who discovers he actually CAN kill you?