PDA

View Full Version : Mood killers.

SilverSheriff
2008-03-09, 04:03 AM
in all the games I've played in someone always has to be the stereotypical "I'm stealing from you just because I can" thief, these guys drive me nuts because when you ask for your stuff back OOC they are quite prone to just ignore you. One of my friend's brothers plays this all the time, in fact you'll see him put his skills to use on the players more than the NPCs.

does anyone else get annoyed at these players?

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-09, 04:13 AM
Extremely. It breaks the game too.

I imagine the guy tells you that you can't search through his stuff either because you "don't know that it's there" either huh?

Being a rogue doesn't give you an excuse to be a jerk.

Pironious
2008-03-09, 04:43 AM
Well, it can be done well, it just usually isn't.

For example, I've got a high level rogue who likes to steal the cleric's holy symbol. She's got enough ranks in sleight of hand that she can do it without failure. She doesn't keep it, of course, and she only does it in safe places where the cleric won't need it in a hurry.

Her usual thing to do is put it on and wear it as her own until someone notices. She's more than happy to give it back when asked, it just makes for a fun little game the characters play when they;ve got nothing else to do.

I'd say the best solution for thieving rogues is to steal from them. What are they going to do about it? If you're a melee character, you can out muscle them, if you're a caster, you probably have Hold Person.

Mad Maudlin
2008-03-09, 04:45 AM
'Specially since the trapfinding class feature means the rogue is usually the one opening any given chest...

In fact, this is why I first multiclassed to beguiler. Our rogue makes a point of asking where everyone is in the room, to watch us squirm as we all have to admit to looking the other way while she steals all the best loot. So now I can say "Where am I? I'm standing right behind you, watching you disarm the trap! I'm new to the trap thing, and wanted to watch the master in action!"

Blanks
2008-03-09, 04:59 AM
I imagine the guy tells you that you can't search through his stuff either because you "don't know that it's there" either huh?
Would you have a friend that stole from you?
Would you kill a dragon together with one?

Tell players that do this, that if they are ever discovered, they are lucky if they are only thrown out from the (ingame) party.

Oh, and tell them never to become unconscius because you will use his underwear for bandages.:smalltongue:

Gri
2008-03-09, 05:09 AM
Would you have a friend that stole from you?
Would you kill a dragon together with one?

Tell players that do this, that if they are ever discovered, they are lucky if they are only thrown out from the (ingame) party.

Oh, and tell them never to become unconscius because you will use his underwear for bandages.:smalltongue:

Ugh, I don't want no drity underwear on my gaping wounds.

Kurald Galain
2008-03-09, 05:11 AM
A possible solution is to also play a rogue, and start stealing from him. Yes, you're fighting fire with fire, but he should quickly realize that this gets old after the first time.

The_Snark
2008-03-09, 05:16 AM
If you're retaliating in-game, the better way to do it is to play an intrusive telepath. The rogue's little secrets will not stay secret very long at all, and then you can Dominate him into giving the stuff back. When confronted with that, he would be much more amenable to an OOC agreement to stop doing it so often.

This is a rather hostile way to handle it, though, and I don't reccomend it. Fortunately I've never played with one of these people; the CE rogue in our party was good at telling what would actually annoy the other players and finding reasons why the character wouldn't do those things.

Diamondeye
2008-03-09, 05:36 AM
Usually, this is best dealt with by the DM.

My response is usually: "Stealing just because you can is not an in character reason. That tells me you are doing it to antagonize the other player, which A) is metagaming and B) is disruptive. You have 3 choices: A) Knovk it off, B) make a different character that is not oriented towards stealing, or C) hit the road."

If the player (as they did on the two occasions I had this problem) responds that "my character is chaotic and doesn't care what anyone else thinks so its good roleplaying." I point out that a character of average intelligence will realize that he's going to be depending for his survival on this group, and that he WILL care what they think when it gets time for him to get healing or something else he needs. If he really was that unwilling to give basic respect to those he's working with (even chaotic evil characters can be loyal when it serves their interests) he wouldn't join the party in the first place, and therefore, needs to create a different character.

I, however, have strict rules about characters whose theme revolves around hogging the spotlight or antagonizing other party members. If your character concept requires major investment by everyone else, think again.

Tokiko Mima
2008-03-09, 05:40 AM
in all the games I've played in someone always has to be the stereotypical "I'm stealing from you just because I can" thief, these guys drive me nuts because when you ask for your stuff back OOC they are quite prone to just ignore you. One of my friend's brothers plays this all the time, in fact you'll see him put his skills to use on the players more than the NPCs.

I would start giving the players a big circumstance bonus on detecting when their rogue steals from the party, just based on the fact that they know they are the type of rogue who is of the temperment to steal from his own comrades if given the opportunity. Wouldn't you be more careful if you knew you were traveling with a known pickpocket? During the theft allow *everyone* nearby to make a Spot/Listen/ or Sense Motive checks, as appropriate. Someone will get lucky with their rolls, and the problem will iron itself out naturally.

I generally try to keep players from engaging in intra-party strife, unless that's a part of the campaign itself.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-09, 06:25 AM
Have your Sorceror/Psion blast him across the room with some physical spell.

"Why'd you do that?"

"Because I can."

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-09, 06:38 AM
1) At the Rogue that opens the chest, how is he figuring out and using the best loot? Magic Items require various magic methods to really identify.

2) The rules already stipulate that anyone nearby gets to make opposed spot checks to notice Sleight of Hand. What happens when an NPC in the crowded town gets a success? Or a Guard NPC with maxed out Spot notices? Or a Party member notices and the rest of the party get's circumstance bonuses from knowledge and they have in character reasoning to check often to make sure nothing is missing? Or a friendly towny (IE Several levels of Rogue) offers to sell them information on the location of X after just watching the theft?

Stallogarro
2008-03-09, 06:51 AM
I've played in a group that explicitly banned characters of chaotic evil alignment. This was not as much the DM dictating us as a house rule. The other players felt from experience that the group would be too divided to be an effective unit if we fought inwardly. After all there was the occasional quest to accomplish, the odd village to save from hordes of orcs... You know, stuff we felt we should focus on instead.

There were several petty feuds between characters, but only in the form of practical jokes. No backstabbing (literal or otherwise) of fellow PCs was allowed. After all, would an adventurer stay in a group of people he couldn't trust?

horseboy
2008-03-09, 12:12 PM
Yup, one of the many reasons I don't allow evil characters in games with alignments or thieves.

Dr Bwaa
2008-03-09, 12:38 PM
This has only happened once in my party, and it was in a good-natured way, but also the PC had definitely made a character who liked to screw with the party members because he liked to. He stole something (I don't remember what) from one of the other PCs and the only one who saw him was the NE rogue NPC who had been with the party much longer than he had. Rather than really call him on it, she took advantage of the fact that all his skill points were in bluff and SoH, rather than sense motive and spot, and stole his brand new rapier. A minute or two later, as he was walking, he found himself stopped by a sword point to his throat; looked to see who was holding it, and saw her with his sword. This is, I believe, the exact quote:

I get it, I get it, don't steal from party members.

Aquillion
2008-03-09, 06:33 PM
In fact, this is why I first multiclassed to beguiler. Our rogue makes a point of asking where everyone is in the room, to watch us squirm as we all have to admit to looking the other way while she steals all the best loot. So now I can say "Where am I? I'm standing right behind you, watching you disarm the trap! I'm new to the trap thing, and wanted to watch the master in action!"
Why would they be looking the other way? It's natural for people to be expectant about what's in the chest and keeping a close eye on it, even if they don't have a reason to suspect the rogue.

Which leads me to point two: Once burned, twice shy. Eventually, any rogue, no matter how good, is going to get caught. After they do, make it clear that nobody in the party is ever going to trust them again. Whenever anything goes missing, they get blamed and their things get searched. When they're doing anything involving treasure, someone more trustworthy (with good eyes) has to watch, and if they've been left alone with it they get searched. Etc, etc, etc. It's perfectly reasonable for people to get paranoid when they know they've been stolen from in the past.

Remember that players are always entitled to decide how their characters react as long as there is no magical intereference; thus, if you feel that someone is trying to (for instance) bluff your character into accepting something they would never accept, or that they would never listen to excuses from a source they know to be untrustworthy, you can have your character be convinced for one round and then instantly change their mind.

TempusCCK
2008-03-09, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I'm having this problem at the moment too. The only difference is my DM likes to force certain stereotypes onto characters, and fully supports the Rogue stealing from the rest of everyone else, because "that's what a Rogue would do." Since the rest of us were in combat for the majority of the encounter, none of us know right off hand that she actually took anything. She also happens to be my girlfriend, and the DM is her Uncle.

Suffice it to say, my Paladin type was condemned for calling people Heathens and other reasons that were completely unspecified. BLEH! "The type of Paladin wouldn't go around calling people Heathens all the time." BLEH! X 2.

So I'm definately thinking of some ways to make her realize that honesty is the best policy for everyone involved, but good ideas have yet to occur.

shadowdemon_lord
2008-03-09, 11:52 PM
Well, to me your situation looks like your girlfriend is stressed out and taking it out on people around her where she feels safe in doing so, is mad at someone in the group, etc. As an OOC problem, it should probably be dealt with OOC. Those are just my two cents.

Thexare Blademoon
2008-03-10, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I'm having this problem at the moment too. The only difference is my DM likes to force certain stereotypes onto characters, and fully supports the Rogue stealing from the rest of everyone else, because "that's what a Rogue would do."

Really? Maybe I should pick a different class for Nilanos Blademoon, then (LN Rogue/Wizard(Illusionist)/Shadowdancer). He's the guy that catches the thieves. :smallamused:

Seriously, I've never understood the logic of saying "this is how (class/alignment/race) would act". Where, if a place other than laziness and/or stupidity, did that BS even come from? For religion-centric classes, it's a little more understandable, but... characters are people, not a class, alignment, and stats.

Bah, sorry, I just really hate that BS.

Solo
2008-03-10, 12:36 AM
Present a reasonable argument to the offending player, backed up with magical death.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

TempusCCK
2008-03-10, 12:50 AM
Well, to me your situation looks like your girlfriend is stressed out and taking it out on people around her where she feels safe in doing so, is mad at someone in the group, etc. As an OOC problem, it should probably be dealt with OOC. Those are just my two cents.

Umm, or maybe she's been conditioned by our DM that her role as a Rogue is to screw the rest of us over, which makes sense as he gives extra EXP for that type of thing.

That'd be the non-mostly made up crap psychological answer.

TheThan
2008-03-10, 12:53 AM
'Specially since the trapfinding class feature means the rogue is usually the one opening any given chest...

reminds me of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0029.html)

GammaPaladin
2008-03-10, 01:08 AM
If you have a DM awarding XP for stealing from other players because "That's what a Rogue would do", roll up a Barb with a good spot check, and hack the thief in half when you catch him/her.

When they ask why you did that say, "That's what a Barbarian would do."

RTGoodman
2008-03-10, 01:14 AM

Yes, but it doesn't help that, out of the 5 people in my college gaming group that have played Rogues in the last year or so, every single one of them has played this way. Our current party, before the fortunate untimely death of one Rogue, had two Rogues and a Fighter just like that. It's so bad with those groups that I cringe just thinking about it.

And it's not just stealing from the party - they all claim that their characters are/were Chaotic Neutral, so that means it's okay to deface the statue of Hades in the courtyard of the fortress of the cult of Hades while the whole party is there to train with said cult. Three times. Or whatever else it is Chaotic Neutral Stupid people do.

Of course, those are basically all of the D&D players in the area that are ever available, so I'm sort of stuck. :smallsigh:

Blanks
2008-03-10, 02:04 AM
Which leads me to point two: Once burned, twice shy. Eventually, any rogue, no matter how good, is going to get caught. After they do, make it clear that nobody in the party is ever going to trust them again. Whenever anything goes missing, they get blamed and their things get searched.
Why travel with someone you trust so little?
If i were to go into somewhere with deadly traps, I would only go with someone i trusted completely.
Our rule ingame is: "if you are caught stealing, we take the amount we think you have stolen and you are allowed to go. Because we like you we won't kill you. Right now. But don't show up again".
That usually solves the problem.

Titanium Dragon
2008-03-10, 02:40 AM
If you've talked with the player about it, and talked with the DM about it, then you are left with two options:

1) Kill them in your sleep, "because that's what my character would do if they were stolen from". This should point out just how unfun it is to be on the recieving end of it.
2) Leave the group.

If you haven't spoken with the DM yet, speak with the DM and talk to them about it.

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-10, 02:43 AM
It should be pointed out that any of these solutions only work if the DM allows it.

It may well be that the DM is just allowing the other player to be a jerk, and not letting anyone do anything about the stealing.

Revenge schemes aren't going to cut it there, because he's just going to say no. And, it doesn't actually solve the problem.

The only time this is an appropriate reaction is if the theft doesn't actually bother you that much, and it really is all just in character.

If you are playing the game with jerks, pack up your stuff and find a new game. You may leave in whatever manner you feel appropriate. I vote stop showing up without telling anyone you aren't coming ^_^.

If you're playing with a DM who will allow one to get back at someone, really what right have we to take the fun of plotting away from you? Plotting revenge is the best part of getting slighted!

JackQ
2008-03-10, 06:33 PM
There are non-violent ways you could play along......

Purchase some cursed items and seed them where your sneaky friend will find them (i.e., take 1 round after a kill to slip item on a corpse before the looting begins). Hilarity ensues as the wearer of a strange new item asks for remove curse from the party.

You could also seed a corpse/ room with marked gold coins to obtain clear evidence of party theft.

FlyMolo
2008-03-10, 09:03 PM
My personal favorite method is the invasive telepath.

Personally, mind control and thought-reading isn't that squicky for me, but apparently it's right up there on the squick list for some people. Dominate Person! yay!

Woot Spitum
2008-03-10, 09:12 PM
Rogue stealing from your party? Use the Shatter spell on his backpack. Not only do you find your stuff, but the rogue has nowhere to carry anything he steals. Rogue has a magical bag of holding? Use the Shatter spell on his pants. This doesn't get your stuff back, but it is extremely funny, especially if done in a social setting. If you are a gnome, option two should get you bonus roleplaying XP even if the rogue hasn't been stealing from you, because that is the sort of thing stereotypical gnomes do.

Mojo_Rat
2008-03-10, 09:55 PM
It seems to me you should just deal with it IC. If every rogue you meet is like this (and based on what yous aid that seems to be the case) then when one character dies and is replied by another rogue just interrogate them when they join the party. It seems your in a position to reasonably assume that they are 'all that type' if everone of them has played to the stereotype.

The Stereotype is actually not that bad even when done by a PC on other Pc's but it gets old and theres eventually no reason for you to not simply behead anyone professing a skill with locks assuming they are a criminal.

Anyhow wait for them to be caught, express an interest that you are watching every new treaure chest with interest to see what new rewards there are and so on. As well if there are only say 5 of you and your in the middle of a dungeon then its reasonable to assume if your things go missing one of the other 4 is responsibe

Blanks
2008-03-11, 05:49 AM
There are non-violent ways you could play along......

Purchase some cursed items and seed them where your sneaky friend will find them (i.e., take 1 round after a kill to slip item on a corpse before the looting begins). Hilarity ensues as the wearer of a strange new item asks for remove curse from the party.

You could also seed a corpse/ room with marked gold coins to obtain clear evidence of party theft.

Thats really clever :)

GutterRunner
2008-03-11, 07:01 AM
In general, I would expect people to grow out of this behaviour (though in my own group about half the players ended up tipping each other into an underground pool the other week). Perhaps there is a problem in that the rogue(s) can't find anything else fun to do.

To TempusCCK I would recomend the following course of action: When your paladin finds that some of his stuff is missing, he should raise the issue with the party the next morning, ask them if any of their stuff has gone too.

If it has, then obviously something is afoot, and the group should find out a) if it is a member of the group doing this (just ask them all, these are people who you trust with your life, so you can trust their word) b) use either their own divinations or pay for external help to find out the external cause for these problems, then thwart the problem.

Depending on how the rogue reacts you should then ask her not to do it again, scold her, or arrest her. And if you find out she's been stealing from inoccent civilians outside of the adventuring party you should definately seek to have her brought to justice.

Ofcourse it could be a case of the DM showing blatent favoritism for his niece, in whcih case other than pointing out that if the DM isn't impartial it really hurts the game, there's not a lot you can do.

To rtg0922, I recomend offering to DM a campaign, and tell the group that it's "no holds barred", Ofcourse, they won't expect that no holds barred applies to you when you release lvl party+4 diviner detectives and paladin/crusader captains of the guards to make them answer for the crimes they inevitabley commit.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-11, 07:42 AM
Next time, tell these kind of players the the fighter, cleric, druid, and wizard, can kill the rogue "because they can". :smalltongue:
Yeah, I had a rogue in my group that just liked to steal a few more jewels from the treasure chest they found before the rest of the group got to it, but never bothered to steal things from the party. In character, he had no reason for that. Out of character, he knows that if he decided to steal the fighter's sword, or some component from the wizard, he would be screwed later.
Fighter: "I'll save you from that monster, rogue... hey, where just let me slay it... hey, where's my weapon?"
Rogue: "uh oh... It's he..." *-10'ed*

AslanCross
2008-03-11, 07:55 AM
I experienced another kind of mood-killer today.

My players were in the middle of a boss encounter against two assassins: a tiefling swordsage and a Naztharune rakshasa. It was turning bad quickly, as the swordsage flung the PC cleric clear across the room into a wall, and she was at -5 HP. Everyone else was severely injured, except for the ranger.

Suddenly, this horrible, horrible stench wafts across the floor of the building we were in. It didn't smell like crap. It smelled like CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP. It was as if someone had cracked open a cesspool and sucked the gases throw a hose and vented them into the building. It was the water-your-eyes-and-make-you-gag type of stench. We had to break up the game prematurely. :smallsigh:

Artanis
2008-03-11, 01:57 PM
The problem with all the in-character solutions is that the kind of DM who would let this thing continue has a decent chance of being the kind of DM who would instantly veto any of your attempts to do anything about it.

Burley
2008-03-11, 02:10 PM
This is the point where I say: Do it anyways. Unless the DM is going to Smite your character with falling rocks, get in that good attack, to show the rogue that you mean business. I can't think of any PC who would let treachery go unpunished. Especially it your character has ever offered any sort of support.
Kill the rogue, or let it be killed.

Don't offer any form of support at all. If the rogue is using you to flank a creature, move away from the creature. If the creature follows you, instead of full-attacking the rogue who just SA'd it, then the DM isn't playing with stereotypes. He's playing preferrentially. THAT is not worth your time.

I understand that it's your girlfriend, but, if she's gonna get bratty with you for IC revenge, she's not able to handle a relationship with a fellow hobbiest. I'm not giving relationship advice, only gaming advice. Your friends are the ones that can seperate game-conflict from real-life conflict. (I have a buddy who I killed in a game, just because he looted the BBEG in a way that didn't suit me, and we laughed our keesters off while it happened. I also have a buddy who got angry at me (DM) for not allowing him to play a Run-Away Prince, because it doesn't fit into the campaign.)

It's a matter of preferrential treatment between a DM and a player. Between two players is one thing, but a DM ruins the game when there is a bias crossing the DM screen. A DM should be concerned with either everybody winning or everybody losing, not one person winning more than everybody else.

At least, that's my opinion. Worth half a copper, but still.

Corlis
2008-03-11, 02:31 PM
One way of dealing with in-party thieves is to use Locate Object, which is hardly high-level. If they get cute and try to block it with a thin sheet of lead, then you can use Magic Mouth on your items, set to repeatedly yell "Help, help, I'm being stolen!" if someone other than you removes it from your person. Sure, it's 10gp a pop, but that's quite affordable for the protection it provides to a +2 flaming greatsword, or even a rather expensive potion. These are all perfectly sane precautions that a reasonable PC might do in-character, especially if their stuff is being repeatedly stolen.

Falrin
2008-03-12, 09:59 AM
Cursed Items

Loot only the other PC's can use and is to big to hide.

Arcane Mark

More Cursed Items

Intelligent Items

Hard needed clues. A Strangely shaped, but very expensive looking gem. After the rogue steals it encounter a statue with a clear 'lost gem, need it to advance' while being chased by hordes of high CR monsters.

Harr
2008-03-12, 10:14 AM
Wow, so much pussyfooting and so many around-the-bush ways to deal with something that should be tackled directly?

This kind of thing really falls to the DM... Makes me glad I claimed the position of DM from the getgo, as this sort of thing has happened to me exactly once:

Rogue Player: Ohhh, can I steal from him while he's not looking??

Me: No, we don't do that.

Rogue Player: But--

Me: Sorry, I wish we could, but it's bad for the game. So, no.

And that was that.

I have sympathy for players, though, you guys have it rough. But still the only real way to deal with it IMHO is to stand up and say it: 'No.'

TempusCCK
2008-03-12, 11:12 AM
Meh, she hasn't stolen from anyone in the party yet, it's just general. "I loot the corpse, oh, Silver Ring, I stick it on my toe. Hey Mr. Paladin, I found some potions!"

I scoldered her above game about putting on rings that she doens't know about, but she looted it off of our dead NPC Cleric, so she's pretty sure it's non-fatal. If I were DM'ing this game, she would be so cursed for stealing from the fallen righteous, but eh, what can you do?

Either way, I'm not playing that Paladin with that Rogue anymore, I rolled up a Dwarf Barbarian for her to try and steal from next time. /mischeivous smile.

"Argh! Little cutpurse eh, well, I'll show ye' what we do to thieves back in the mines!"

BadJuJu
2008-03-12, 11:40 AM
If you've talked with the player about it, and talked with the DM about it, then you are left with two options:

1) Kill them in your sleep, "because that's what my character would do if they were stolen from". This should point out just how unfun it is to be on the recieving end of it.
2) Leave the group.

If you haven't spoken with the DM yet, speak with the DM and talk to them about it.

Intresting, killing people in your sleep. What a dream.

Suffice it to say, my Paladin type was condemned for calling people Heathens and other reasons that were completely unspecified. BLEH! "The type of Paladin wouldn't go around calling people Heathens all the time.

Those are the best kind of Paladins, turnin and burnin. Hellfire and brimstone proves a point.

Ziren
2008-03-12, 12:10 PM
I let thieves steal from the party if it fits their character background. However, I let them only steal money (and only parts of that, not everything) because that's what a thief would do if he picked the pockets of people he/she travelled with. In real life most people don't keep exact count of the money they have on them and if they notice some of it is missing it's usually rather easy to make them think they spent it somewhere (easier than convince them that they had managed to lose their greatsword somewhere).

Smiley_
2008-03-12, 12:44 PM
Careful application of sovereign glue can deal with the rouge in some situations. You can use it on items that you suspect the rouge to go after, but it will probably congeal before it could be used.

The proper application is to glue the rouge's hands together.

Mut
2008-03-12, 01:49 PM

Nice -- funny, non-lethal, poetic justice. In the absence of cursed items, there's always the old standby: "I prepared explosive runes..."

KazilDarkeye
2008-03-12, 03:05 PM
I once had an...unusual player. We were a party that was relativly new to the game, and we were exploring the Abyss. I start describing one of the major cities on a Homebrew layer and after my description of the imposing city he starts quacking.

That's right that wasn't a typo:QUACKING. :smallconfused:

Cuddly
2008-03-12, 03:10 PM
Get a caster to cast locate object. Oh hey, it was with us all along... in the rogue's loot sack.

Proceed to do horrible things to the rogue.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-13, 09:50 AM
Stealing from party members is just IC dickishness in most RPGs, but in D&D, it's out of line OOC; the game is built on certain expectations of PC wealth, and messing with that does affect others' enjoyment of the game. Your equipment is literally part of your character, defining his or her abilities, and it's a real ******* move to take away some of that equipment.

In games where play balance doesn't hinge on equipment, it's not such a big deal, but even then, most RPGs work on the assumption that the party is a functioning team, comrades-in-arms, not a bunch of selfish, back-stabbing, cheating snots out of themselves.

Not that that can't be fun, if it's done right.

Stapler
2008-03-13, 09:53 AM
Careful application of sovereign glue can deal with the rouge in some situations. You can use it on items that you suspect the rouge to go after, but it will probably congeal before it could be used.

The proper application is to glue the rouge's hands together.

Then his nostrils, then his lips...

Project_Mayhem
2008-03-13, 10:10 AM
Either way, I'm not playing that Paladin with that Rogue anymore, I rolled up a Dwarf Barbarian for her to try and steal from next time. /mischeivous smile.

"Argh! Little cutpurse eh, well, I'll show ye' what we do to thieves back in the mines!"

Heh, last time our halfling rogue tried to ... creatively distribute the loot, my Shifter Barbarian managed to spot him. Grapple check, pin, claw to throat.

'Do that again and I'll gut you'

nagora
2008-03-13, 10:27 AM

End of night: "Ok, great guys. By the way, Jack? Don't come back next week."

Ryver
2008-03-13, 10:45 AM
Arcane Mark (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneMark.htm) works great here, especially if you have an item you suspect will be targeted. See also: Alarm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alarm.htm).

If you want to catch the bandit, pass the GM a note. If you want to prevent him from taking it in the first place, do it out loud.

Depending on the item, the thief could just argue that the mark was placed sneakily in the first place (ie. the caster is trying to steal things).

Alarm is pretty much good to go, though. Cast it on your pack/sleeping area. Whether you use the Mental Alarm to catch them yourselves, or the Audible Alarm to help everyone else catch them is up to you.

Intresting, killing people in your sleep. What a dream.
I think there's a PrC class for that... Sleeping Slayer? Dreaming Destroyer? Spellsnorer? I can't remember.