PDA

View Full Version : Fall of the Colonies... I mean Azure City

user_unknown
2008-03-09, 02:54 PM
Hmm... it could just be me, but has anyone else noticed the similarity between what's happened to Azure City and the events of the Battlestar Galactica miniseries?

The whole thing about a civilisation being wiped out, with a small fleet of survivors escaping seems quite similar :)

David Argall
2008-03-09, 03:08 PM
A-The idea was hardly original with the TV show. The Aeneid can be said to be on this theme too.

B-The differences are quite large. A central theme in BG is that they are pursued. So far the refugees from Azure City are fighting among themselves and ignored by the winners.
So far the strip has focused on the survivors on land, not those at sea.

So there really isn't much to notice.

Alfryd
2008-03-09, 03:56 PM
Ah, but who are we to pass up a perfectly good opportunity for BSG/OOTS comparisons? We can have endless debates on Cylon alignments! Contrast between Starbuck and Haley! The possibilities are endless!

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-09, 03:56 PM
Well, Elan DID have the "Saul Tigh" eyepatch there for a little bit... Easy to make the connection.

The Giant does make reference to popular culture every now and then, although I don't think Elan is Hinjo's XO. But since Elan and Saul Tigh are nearly polar opposites, it made for a good gag.

NerfTW
2008-03-09, 03:59 PM
Hmm... it could just be me, but has anyone else noticed the similarity between what's happened to Azure City and the events of the Battlestar Galactica miniseries?

The whole thing about a civilisation being wiped out, with a small fleet of survivors escaping seems quite similar :)

That story is as old as written literature. That, and they weren't really wiped out, the civilians all sailed off.

Gol_Stoan
2008-03-14, 04:59 PM
This particular strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0508.html) would seem to reference Galactica a bit, at least in my opinion. Or maybe I am just reading too much into it. (Gods damn them indeed!) :smalltongue:

One must also remember that in Galactica they are escaping the destruction of the Twelve Colonies of Kobol, which is of course another name for the color blue. :smalltongue: