PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's "Dream Team"

LaValle
2008-03-09, 04:13 PM
I'm sure I'm just one of a huge number of fans who consider Belkar their favorite OOTS character. It's been a long time I played any tabletop dnd, but if I get the opportunity I think I'll seriously consider an evil halfling ranger. But can you imagine Belkar as a leader of his very own evil adventuring party? Who would be part of it? And let's not restrict ourselvs to the OOTS universe. Go wild submit your suggestions and let's figure out the best evil team of all time. My suggestions are Black Mage from '8-bit theatre' and Richard the warlock from 'Looking For Group'. What are your picks?

Theodoriph
2008-03-09, 04:53 PM
Belkar would want to travel with neutral or good-aligned characters who would tolerate his presence and his actions. He wouldn't want to travel with anyone like Richard or Black Mage who might conceivably turn on him on a moment's notice.

Even evil people would prefer party members they can trust not to turn on them.

LaValle
2008-03-09, 04:58 PM
That may be true, but I think they would appreciate the endless capacity for slaughter of the innocent in each other. The only problems I can forsee would be the inevitable oneupmanship that would ensue. I would not want to be in the same universe as the three of them trying to outdo each other.

Greg
2008-03-09, 05:03 PM
The hypothetical offspring of Sauron and Cruella deVille.

Lorn
2008-03-09, 06:00 PM
^ Not evil enough...

As far as evilness goes, definitely Black Mage.

As far as fun-ness goes, Josh from Chainmail Bikini. (http://www.feartheboot.com/comic/castimage.aspx?i=24)

Mr Scruffy, for sheer awesomeness.

Elan for the lulz.

And - though it may be a little controversial - Miko. Pre-fall Miko. He'd love baiting her and getting the others to join in until she fell, at which point she'd "die" accidentally and get looted for magical items. Fast cash.

Of course, if we aren't limiting ourselves to D&D setting people...

Himself - team leader. Supervises.
Riddick - for the rogue/thiefy stuff. And coolness factor.
Darth Vader - because he'd probably be an epic level warlock or something in D&D settings. Pre-cyborging, so he can use lightning.
Voldemort - arcane wizard, very important. Fairly adept with Power Word Kill as well.
Aaand... Abbadon the Despoiler (Warhammer 40,000) No explaining needed.

ssjKammak
2008-03-09, 06:01 PM
I think belkar would want to lead a group of people he could either intimidate or outsmart. I see him having followers like skullsy (i.e. scared of belkar but needing him to survive) or thog not smart enough to think for themselves.

I don't really think alignment would matter, as has been pointed out Belkar doen't care who he works with.

Just an aussies 2 cents

Demented
2008-03-09, 06:55 PM
Belkar's dream team would, of course, be himself.

Everyone else is only there to witness him as he does awesome thing after awesome thing. Or occasionally to enable him to do even more awesome things. Of course, everyone could use a healbot... But ideally, not needing one is even better.

Phase
2008-03-09, 08:18 PM
Agreed. Everyone knows that, if left to his own devices, Belkar could kill anyone he wants, regardless of who is in his party.

Chronos
2008-03-09, 08:55 PM
Strippers. Lots of strippers. And maybe a cleric of Bacchus, who could cast Create Food and Booze.

Quorothorn
2008-03-09, 10:40 PM
^ Not evil enough...

As far as evilness goes, definitely Black Mage.

As far as fun-ness goes, Josh from Chainmail Bikini. (http://www.feartheboot.com/comic/castimage.aspx?i=24)

Mr Scruffy, for sheer awesomeness.

Elan for the lulz.

And - though it may be a little controversial - Miko. Pre-fall Miko. He'd love baiting her and getting the others to join in until she fell, at which point she'd "die" accidentally and get looted for magical items. Fast cash.

Of course, if we aren't limiting ourselves to D&D setting people...

Himself - team leader. Supervises.
Riddick - for the rogue/thiefy stuff. And coolness factor.
Darth Vader - because he'd probably be an epic level warlock or something in D&D settings. Pre-cyborging, so he can use lightning.
Voldemort - arcane wizard, very important. Fairly adept with Power Word Kill as well.
Aaand... Abbadon the Despoiler (Warhammer 40,000) No explaining needed. [Emphasis added.]

I always figured that Avada Kedavra was more like Finger of Death.

Child Conscript
2008-03-10, 01:09 AM
I couldn't really imagine :belkar: teaming up with anybody as they would steal his precious xp. . .although The black knight from Monty pythons Holy Grail doing a sort of duo. . .and the :mitd: just for good measure :smile:

verloren
2008-03-10, 04:26 AM
Whores.
True Neutral ones.

Chronos
2008-03-10, 03:58 PM
I always figured that Avada Kedavra was more like Finger of Death.Nah, Avada Kedavra doesn't allow a save.

Ancalagon
2008-03-10, 06:36 PM
It lies before your nose:
Belkar would be very happy to travel with Xykon. And he does not want to "lead", he just wants to kill.

DanielX
2008-03-10, 07:30 PM
What would Belkar want in his 'ideal' adventuring party?

- No lawful goods, except as XP fodder or baiting. I don't see him choosing a Roy, Durkon, or Miko as a natural partner (well, he might enjoy converting Miko to evil, but I don't see how he's going to do that, given that Sabine failed and her charisma is probably a helluva lot higher than his).
- People who let him go stabbing anyone/anything he wants, and get out of the way when he decides to. No one telling him "sorry you can't stab x" or who run out to stab x themselves. Thog, for example, is likely to be way too stupid to challenge Belkar (and can be easily swayed by the promise of Ice Cream too)...
- A cleric. Because, no matter how cool Belkar thinks the 'battle damaged' look is, he knows he'll need some healing from time to time (and may not have an unlimited supply of potions). Also, Belkar seems to hate wizards, but he'll want someone magically capable around to make sure he doesn't get turned into a newt or something by a magic caster. Hilyaga is actually not a bad choice. She seems to be a nongood chaotic (from the sound of it she's borderline CN/CE), probably doesn't object to Belkar stabbing people, and has the same healing powers as Durkon without being a stuffy Lawful Good.
- Those Belkar finds amusing, and not a major threat to him personally (so if he ever stops being amused, he can turn them into XP fodder). Elan, for example.
- No one with any really great moral crusades or special causes, Belkar just doesn't care about that stuff (he wants to stab people, doesn't really care about much else). Thus, someone like Leeky Windstaff (in it to terrorize the urban folk), Redcloak (who wants Goblins to be something besides XP fodder) or really any druid, paladin, or other with a higher cause that isn't "stab people" or "do evil things to make it easy to stab people" is just begging for trouble on a team with Belkar.
- No kobolds, as Belkar hates them and wants to kill all of them for XP
- Not too many whores on the trip. Even with a low wisdom score, Belkar probably realizes that you shouldn't take 'em with you if you don't want a long-term relationship, and they're best left to towns. He may want someone who he knows is really into casual, carefree sex but who also makes herself useful - such as Sabine.
- Mostly Chaotic Evil. Belkar wants to go around stabbing people. That's neither lawful nor good. Having too many of those on the team would defeat the purpose of adventuring, in his mind. If you're not going to adventure to stab monsters for XP fodder, why adventure? Towns have more whores and more people in general to stab.

Of the characters presented, I think Belkar would like most of the Linear Guild, although there are definite exceptions (Pompey, Leeky, the Kobolds, perhaps Nale). Xykon is a possibility, although Belkar might rather he were in control of Xykon, whereas Xykon would want the other way around. I'm not sure if the Monster in the Darkness would be suitable for Belkar or not, Belkar might find him annoying.

Most of OOTS is probably out, in particular Durkon, Roy, and Vaarsuvius. Elan and Haley are the only ones who are vaguely suitable (perhaps because they're Chaotic, and thus they have a broadly similar disrespect for authority, if for entirely different reasons and with different ends in mind), though they're too 'good' really.

Chronos
2008-03-10, 08:43 PM
Of the characters presented, I think Belkar would like most of the Linear Guild, although there are definite exceptions (Pompey, Leeky, the Kobolds, perhaps Nale).Belkar absolutely despises Nale. Remember when he recognized him by smell? He immediately pounced on him with daggers drawn, and would have attacked had Nale not charmed him in time... And this was while he had the Mark of Justice on him. He hated Nale enough to subject himself to the Mark's curse, rather than just leaving the room and telling the others. Belkar doesn't take such things lightly, so that took some pretty strong emotion.

It's interesting to note that, although Elan and Nale are equally removed from Belkar, alignment-wise, he gets along much better with Elan (CG) than with Nale (LE). For that matter, he also in some sense likes Haley and Shojo, also both Chaotic Good. The big picture seems to be that he gets along well with anyone chaotic, and hates anyone lawful, regardless of the moral axis of their alignment.

monty
2008-03-11, 07:48 PM
The big picture seems to be that he gets along well with anyone chaotic, and hates anyone lawful, regardless of the moral axis of their alignment.

Every single one of my characters has ended up like that. And I've never played an evil ranger. I should try it sometime.

Thamir
2008-03-13, 02:34 AM
Dogbert excuse me while I wag

Roderick_BR
2008-03-13, 05:24 AM
Belkar would want to travel with neutral or good-aligned characters who would tolerate his presence and his actions. He wouldn't want to travel with anyone like Richard or Black Mage who might conceivably turn on him on a moment's notice.

Even evil people would prefer party members they can trust not to turn on them.

He wouldn't want to walk around with people that can be more evil than him and kill more people. He'd get jealous. :smalltongue:

quiet1mi
2008-03-14, 12:00 AM
chaotic commoners that would comment on how awesome he is and a chaotic cleric of course