PDA

View Full Version : War of the Burning Sky IC

Pages : [1] 2

druid_grif
2008-03-10, 01:09 AM
Having been given a message by a member of the resistance to meet with a cleric named Torrent, you arrive at the Poison Apple Pub slightly before midnight on New Years Eve. The streets are surprisingly empty in this poorer part of town, but the coming war has put a damper on the celebration.

You case the outside of the establishment and find that it is a two story building with a bridge connecting to another two story building. Both buildings are dark with no sign of life in the cloudy windows. The front door has a notice on it that reads:

Trehan Finner, owner of the Poison Apple Pub, has been taken into temporary custody under the protection of the city guard, until such time that he can be questioned by representatives of the Ragesian Empire, and found innocent of hostile collusion. The Poison Apple Pub is hereby closed until further notice.”

You crunch through old snow as you go around to the side entrance as instructed by the messenger. You knock and a female opens the door slightly to see who it is. She lets you in with a resolute smile, saying,"Good to see you. Come in, have a seat and we will discuss things as soon as the entire company has arrived." She gestures to a table with a lamp, a map, several mugs, and a small keg of beer. "Help yourself to the libation. Just because we’re about to go to war doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate the new year."

You look around the rest of the pub and see:
The darkened pub is mostly empty now, its many tables and chairs pushed to one wall and covered with sheets. A single table sits in the middle of the room, with enough chairs for all of you. A small oil lamp and a keg sit on top of it, along with several mugs. At the back corner of the common room beside the bar, a staircase leads upstairs. The windows and door facing onto the street are closed, and you know they have been boarded up from the outside. On the wall behind the bar hangs a bronze bust of the former emperor of Ragesia, Drakus Coaltongue, a regal, aged half-orc with a scar cutting diagonally across his face. You and Torrent are the only people in the room.

gareth
2008-03-10, 02:34 AM
Rex Armiger strides confidently into the pub, his red robe spotless despite the slush in the streets outside. He starts to greet Torrent politely, until he sees the bust hanging behind the bar. Furious, he pushes past Torrent and pulls the bust off the wall, then throws it out into the street. He turns to address
Torrent.
I'm Rex Armiger. When my ancestors built this city they didn't intend for us to bow down to evil monsters.
He sits down at the head of the table, still fuming.

Methates
2008-03-10, 05:55 AM
As Van comes trudging up to the door, a small object is suddenly hurled toward him. Van dodges out of the way and starts to draw his longsword, when he takes a moment to examine the object. Then he kicks it to the side with irreverence and continues on.

"Good day, milady," says Van as he bows and kisses the hand of the woman who lets him in, "I am called Van. Van the Dissapointment to my family, Van the Wanted to the Shahalesti authorities, Van the Unfortunate to anyone who cares to listen to the truth, but you may simply call me Van. And just who might you be?" He smiles warmly and waits for the woman to answer, still holding her hand. Even if it were obviously the cleric that he had been told of, it would only be polite to make introductions first.

bchilders
2008-03-10, 08:10 AM
Duglan

Duglan walks cautiously over to the pub wondering to himself how he got mixed up with this so called resistance. He could here his fathers voice now, Yer walkin' inta trouble, and these aren't even clanfolks.

"Thank ya, kindly, ma'am," Duglan says to the lady as he enters and finds himself a seat.

druid_grif
2008-03-10, 08:21 AM
Torrent laughs as Rex throws the bust into the street. "Well, that used to be there as a sort of mocking gesture of his failed occupancy of Gate Pass, but maybe it's time for a change of traditions. Just don't try to pull down the 90 foot one in the middle of town." As tall and strong as the typical warrior, Torrent is a distinctive looking woman with tanned skin and short white hair. Under a dark winter coat she wears a breastplate decorated with blue wave-like etchings, and a holy symbol to Seaqean tied to her wrist with a leather cord. Her demeanor is smooth but forceful, like an ocean wave.

Torrent shakes Van's hand, comprehension dawning in her eyes as Van introduces himself. "Good moon to you my Elven friend. My name is Torrent, a name given to me at my monastery on my Wanderer's day. I would hear your story but maybe not in these circumstances. Let's hope the others arrive equally as early."

Torrent is pleased when another knock comes from the door, she opens it a bit and let's the dwarf in. I see this will be a multicultural expedition. Well met, Duglan."

Let's have listen and spot checks also. I like to keep these up to date usually.

Silverkiss
2008-03-10, 12:26 PM
Claire Bloodangel

Claire walks the street cautiously, her cloak covering her weapon, hidden but still in range in case of need. She arrives at the pub, said to be the meeting place, and gives a quick look to the two buildings towering over her. What a gloomy place, she thinks, giving a faint smile. Giving another quick glance to the notice on the front door, Claire heads to the side entrance.

"Hello, miss, I assume you are Torrent ?", Claire says to the woman who opens the door, entering the tavern while doing so. Seeing everyone and relaxing a little, her hand moving away from her morningstar, she continues: "You can call me Claire. Seems I am one of the last ones to arrive, am I not ? I hope you haven't waited for a long time."

After hearing everyone's names, Claire proceeds to take a seat in the table, taking a good look on the people she would soon be working to stop her parents' murderers' lust for conquest.

dual_wielder
2008-03-10, 03:39 PM
A tall young man enters the room just a moment after the woman. He is heavily armed, wearing a large sword at his side and a handaxe tucked into his belt. If one were to look at his other side, 4 small axes are laced across his back.

Ah, it seems that you are not quite the last one. I am sorry for any inconvenience my lateness may have caused. You may call me Gerran. I am a follower of the Way of the Nine Swords and offer my full abilities to the resistance. I suppose it runs in the family...

He inclines his head in greeting and smiles cheerfully. He sits down quietly and peers around at the other people present.

Methates
2008-03-10, 03:57 PM
Van gives another bow and takes his seat at the table. He holds one of the mugs up to his nose and takes a sniff, then makes a face. Slowly, he puts it back down.

"Van Veranti," he says to the others as he meets them. He eyes the beer warily, as it occurs to him that even if it's not as high quality as he likes, it might be the best he will have for quite some time.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-10, 05:32 PM
Another knock at the door is revealed to be a medium heighted man wearing a dark blue bandana. He walks in quickly, saying "Sorry I'm late, just had to finish up some business. Name's Garret, glad to meet almost all of you." His smoldering gaze turns towards Van as he takes a seat across from the elf, although he doesn't say anything to him. "Shall we get started?"

druid_grif
2008-03-10, 07:23 PM
As you all settle at a table and Torrent makes sure that all mugs are full, Torrent and Claire tilt their heads towards the sounds of bells ringing. Soon, everyone hears the faint, but distinct ringing of church bells from all around the city.

Torrent grimaces and straightens in her chair, saying, “That’s one year gone. I guess it’s time to get down to business.

“The city’s in trouble. The Ragesian army is marching on us, and will be here by tomorrow. Before then, we have a mission.

“I used to study at a magic academy to the south, called Lyceum. They’re good people. So when word reached them about Ragesia’s ‘Scourge,’ they
sent out messages calling for anyone fleeing Ragesia to come to them. They
want to stand against the Ragesians, and the resistance wants their help. We just need to get a message to them.

“Normally we would have sent something by teleporting courier, but something strange is going on with planar magic. The last courier who teleported into Gate Pass, rumor is that he showed up burnt to a crisp. Not that I have that sort of magic anyway, but if we’re going to talk to Lyceum, we’re going to have to go overland. And that’s a problem, because the city’s walls are sealed.

“Ever since their emperor died, the Ragesians have been trying to show that they’re not weak, and they’re marching an army in our direction, since the mountain pass we’re in is apparently ‘strategically valuable.’ Either way, a few idiots on the city council want to negotiate with the Ragesians, and rumor is they’re going to invite a group of inquisitors into the city to look for ‘magic-users who are hostile to the empire.’ They’ve sealed the gates of the city so no one can get out, to make sure they look like they’re cooperating, and only military personnel can get in or out.

“We’re going to have to get out of the city, and I’m open to suggestions on how. Once we’re out, I can get us safely to Lyceum, but before we get ahead of ourselves, we have a mission tonight.

“The short version is that we’ve got to meet a contact — a gnome named Rivereye Badgerface — in about an hour at a guarded depository about
a half-mile from here. He’s carrying a case of vital military intelligence which he stole from the Ragesian palace, and the heads of the resistance think that
it needs to reach Lyceum. We’ve got to get that case, get out of the city, and get far away from here before the idiot city council lets the Ragesian inquisitors in. Once that happens, the odds of us escaping are —“ she finishes off her mug of beer in one long guzzle “— slim.

“I know I’d love to stay here and fight against the Ragesians, but I’m no soldier, and this mission might be more important. Worst case, you get away from the Ragesians and we can part ways a few days down the road. Best case, you can come with me to Lyceum, and we come back with an army of our own to drive off the Ragesians. But we’ve got to act fast either way. Are you ready for this?”

Silverkiss
2008-03-10, 07:48 PM
Claire Bloodangel

Having not touched her mug of beer, Claire listens closely to the information given by her fellow cleric, nodding once in a while in agreement.

"Damm this stupid council. They know nothing about those beasts. I'm in on anything to stop these fiends' madness. I'll go with you to this academy you talk about, Lyceum."

Claire remains silent for some minutes, thinking hard about their options, and paying attention to the others' reactions to this information. Then, she says:

"I don't have much ideas for a escape route, because I only got here some days ago, and don't know much about the land around here or the city itself. However, would'nt it be possible to go through the mountains ? Maybe the Resistance knows of some hidden path or cave that is easy to travel... Based on my little knowledge of these lands, that is the best option I could think about. Well, I'm sure someone will have a good idea. For now, we should go meet with this gnome fellow."

Methates
2008-03-10, 07:54 PM
Van furrows his brow as he sees the glare on Garret's face, but chooses not to say anything. While Torrent speaks, Van tries to take a strong swig of the beer in front of him. It takes all of his control not to spit it back out, or make a face, but he manages to get it down.

"A guarded depository? Sneaking out of the city? Getting away from the Ragesians before they take over the town? You can consider me interested" says Van once Torrent finishes speaking. "Tell us more about the guarded depository you mentioned..."

Quxelopqr
2008-03-10, 08:55 PM
Garret locks eyes with Van for a moment, then looks back to Torrent. "Ready as I'll ever be. Best escape route I can tell is to get outta here before anyone notices us." Giving what could be mistaken for a smile he adds to Van "You elves are good at escaping unseen, right? This'll be perfect for you."

dual_wielder
2008-03-10, 09:28 PM
Gerran listens intently and then smile broadly. He leans back easily in his chair, radiating a false aura of confidence.

Aye, you can count me in for anything that will keep this city free. That's the most important there is. As for possible escape routes, I've been here my whole life. I imagine I could pull up one or two secret ways out if I think hard enough on it.

Knowledge: Local-[roll0]

bchilders
2008-03-10, 10:04 PM
Duglan

Duglan downs his mug thirstily as the plan is revealed and he listens as the others speak their peice. "Seeing as how I don't want to be stuck inside this city when the army gets 'ere, you can count me in," Duglan says. He opens his mouth as if to say more but thinks better of it. He rubs the hilt of his father ax to reassure himself of his decision.

gareth
2008-03-10, 10:54 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) looks disappointed as the other adventurers enter. He mutters under his breath, something about "the best and the brightest". When Torrent finishes talking he nods in agreement.
I'd love to stay here and fight off the Empire single-handedly, but I'm not quite that powerful yet. I'll come along, see how Lyceum can help me. I could try to charm a guard into letting us leave the city. As for this gnome, it could easily be a trap. We should only have one person approach him. The rest of us should hide within weapons range, or charging distance.
Spot Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

Quxelopqr
2008-03-11, 03:24 PM
Garret agrees with Rex. "Charming guards means not having to kill them. No messy body cleanup. Good plan." Garret seems ready to go, finishing off his drink and gathering himself together.

Silverkiss
2008-03-11, 07:44 PM
Claire Bloodangel

Strongly looking the red-robbed man in his blue eyes, as if trying to read his mind, Claire half-heartly agrees with his suggestion:

"I don't like charming enemies. An enemy left alive is an enemy that will return to cause trouble later. However, in the current circunstances, that may be our best bet." After a brief silence, she continues, "What you say about the gnome being a trap is true. We have to be cautious. I could be the 'bait', if no one else is willing to go. I don't have much experience in combat, though, so it's better if it is someone who can defend himself better." Claire finishes looking to the dwarf and the great axe he carries.

Claire then stands up, without ever touching her mug of beer, "At any rate, we should go soon. Time is a precious resource that we do not have."

dual_wielder
2008-03-11, 08:05 PM
Gerran scowls as his companions discuss possible plans. He leans forward in his chair and wears a serious look on his face.

Since when were the innocent guards of Gate Pass our enemy? I refuse to participate in the slaughter of my fellow citizens of this fine city. And growing up in this city has left me with a good amount of knowledge about its workings. Walking out of this city would be just plain impossible, and even sneaking out would be just about as hard as can be. I think this task will be much harder than you all seem to think. As for suggestions, all I can say is I will not participate in the killing of any guards. Perhaps looking for the least guarded door?

He sits back in thought, frustrated with his lack of solid ideas.

Silverkiss
2008-03-11, 08:13 PM
Claire Bloodangel

"I am sorry if this is your hometown and if it is so important to you that you won't kill any of it's guards, but let me tell you something; my hometown was burned and destroyed by those damned beasts. If the guards of Gate Pass are not on our side and will even try to stop us, then yes, they are our enemy, and I will not hesitate to kill them to reach my goal. No, our goal. Which is, if you have so quickly forgotten, to protect this same city, and others, against those cursed monsters."

Claire seems pretty pissed at Gerran's response, thinking he is not seeing the whole picture and forgetting more important matters to protect only a few guardsmen.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-11, 08:27 PM
To Claire's question Garret replies "I'll volunteer, these weapons ain't just for show." He can't place why Claire seems angry, but then again, women were never his strong point.

dual_wielder
2008-03-11, 08:51 PM
A puzzled look crosses Gerran's face as he answers the young woman's reply.

While I'm not sure why the notion of not killing innocent guards, who are just doing what they have been told to, do angers you so much, I would say killing the men in charge of keeping our enemies out of the city would not go a long way towards protecting it. They have done nothing to harm us, are members of the city we are trying to protect, and have the ability to keep the Ragesians out. They sound a lot like allies to me. I am sure that there would be a way to escape the city without unnecessary bloodshed, although you seem to be opposed to that idea...

Gerran shakes his head, bemused at the fiery young woman sitting across from him. "Is she really that anxious to murder innocent guardsmen?" he thinks to himself in confusion.

Silverkiss
2008-03-11, 09:02 PM
Claire

With a harsh look to Gerran, Claire answers, sitting down again, seeing as they would not be leaving as soon as she though:

"What angers me is not the notion of not killing guards, fool, but the notion of failing or lenghtening our mission just because you couldn't bear to kill an innocent for a greater good. We are talking about a war here. These monsters will not leave you, or anyone, alone just because you showed compassion. And it doesn't matter if they are just following orders, they are still making things harder for us. And their ability to keep the Ragesians out ? I'm not so sure about that. Wasn't the city invaded in the past ? That's not a good example of keeping them out, is it ?"

dual_wielder
2008-03-11, 09:19 PM
Gerran is truly astonished at the anger this young woman he hardly knows is harboring against him. He chuckles to himself before answering.

I would appreciate it if you would refrain from throwing childish insults at me, as we have just met and I would hate for discord to ruin this team so early on. I certainly don't consider myself a fool, and really don't enjoy being called one. That being said, you are correct that Gate Pass was invaded, and then its citizens threw the Ragesians out in a very short time. Many good men lost their lives to preserve the well-being of this city, and to kill some of its guards just for presenting us with an inconvenience would make that sacrifice meaningless. Killing when necessary is one thing, but the cold-blooded murder of men who are trying their very hardest to keep us safe is another. Your determination is admirable, but there is a certain line that must not be crossed when reaching one's goal. I would also like to point out that the murder of innocent guards would not sit well with the military of Gate Pass, and would likely make us the enemy of both this fine city and of the Ragesians. Now, let us at least try to search the deepest recesses of our mind for a plan that does not involve murder.

Silverkiss
2008-03-11, 09:28 PM
Claire

"Of course, my ingenuous friend, that there are no corrupt guards or, generally, people in the ranks of this city, right ? Of course not, everyone wishes everyone else so well and strives so hard to protect them ! Fine, then. We already have a murderless plan; let's go meet the gnome and then charm a guard to let us out of the city. However, as you have so much faith on those hard-working protectors of the city, don't ask for my help if the plan doesn't go so well and we are attacked by them. If you don't just switch sides and help them, I mean, which seems quite possible."

Quxelopqr
2008-03-11, 10:14 PM
Garret starts to worry about a fight breaking out. "Save it for the Rag's guys. We'll only kill someone if we have to, but if we have to we will." The last part seems emphasized.

bchilders
2008-03-11, 10:31 PM
Duglan

Duglan shakes his head and chuckles to himself, What my father said about the temper of the shorter lived races was true. He listens to the entire rant from both sides and tries to stay out of it. When there is finally a moments pause he chimes in, "I'm not killing a guard of this city for doing what he is paid to do, not for you or any man," he looks at all his companions as he continues, "but as I understand that isn't what was asked of us. If we run into any trouble I can knock a few heads with the flat of my blade and we can march right on out. Now enough talking let's move." Duglan emphasizes this last point by standing up and checking that all his gear is ready to travel.

druid_grif
2008-03-11, 10:48 PM
Torrent sits back in her chair, nursing another beer as the others talk. She even let's the argument between Garren and Claire go without saying anything. As the conversation starts to settle, she leans forward, "Have a seat for just a few more seconds, Duglan my friend. I want to emphasize something that Garren has brought up. I have only been in this town for a short time, but the gates out of the city, even the smaller ones are guarded by many men. If we are thinking of using magic to get out of here, we will need a lot of magic to get it done. I do not have access to that much magic, but maybe some of you do? Or, maybe we should think about what resources are available in the city to help us out."

Okay, I really need a second set of Listen/Spot checks from everyone. Carry on with your plans otherwise.

gareth
2008-03-12, 12:09 AM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) looks annoyed at the argument.
I'm sure we can come up with plan to get out of the city without having to kill guards. Right now, I can charm three people, one after the other. That'll make them friendly, but I'll probably need someone a bit more diplomatic to convince them to let us out. If I can sleep first, I can cast... well, Sleep. That can affect more people and I could do that three times too. But all of this is useless until we have a plan.
He stands up, and moves to the stairs.
I've lived in this city my whole life too. I should be able to figure what the easiest way out of the city is, if I have a bit of peace for five minutes. Keep it down to a dull roar while I'm gone. He walks up the stairs and into the upstairs room.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Local Knowledge: "Which way out of the city will be most lightly guarded?"[roll2]

Methates
2008-03-12, 12:39 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Van narrows his eyes again, and then begins to get nervous as he fears an actual physical fight to break out. He doesn't understand what the big deal is anyways, as they had yet to come to a definite plan anyways. Then suddenly a thought occurs to him.

"You said Inquisitors are coming, correct? Well...what if we tried to pass ourselves off as Inquisitors? Or, perhaps part of the inquisitors' party? If I could get my hands on a proper disguise kit, I'm fairly confident I could bluff our way out the gate" says Van with a hopeful smile.

"Of course, I am always open to more ideas. But for now, shouldn't we concentrate on contacting this gnome?"

Quxelopqr
2008-03-12, 11:03 AM
spot: [roll0] listen: [roll1]

Garret watches Rex leave with a slight scowl, but doesn't say anything. To Van he says "I doubt we would fit in with the Inquisitors, and I know I don't have any disguise kits." It would be a decent plan, but he'd probably sell us out at the last minute. Crafty elvish plans and their trickery, but I'm onto you.

druid_grif
2008-03-12, 11:57 AM
To Gareth:

You see that there is no light coming from upstairs, so you grab your lantern and light it. Heading up the stairs you see a hallway that doubles back parallel to the staircase, then turns right. Another hallway veers off to the left with a door farther down on the left. There are two doors periodically on the right.

To the rest of the Group:
"Actually, we have very limited options on how to get out of the city." Torrent unfolds two maps, one regional and the other a map of Gate Pass. She points at the southern town of Seaquen, "This is where Lyceum is located. The problem is that most of the passes out of Gate Pass are crawling with Ragesian troops. Our best bet is to go through Innenotdar Forest into Dessen. Settle down, I know that the forest has been magically aflame for hundreds of years. I have a way of getting through the forest with no harm to us or our possessions. I am confident that the Ragesians or any others will not be able to follow. That means we need to leave by this southern gate." She points to a gate on the Gate Pass map. "This is one of the least guarded gates out of town but I counted about 20 guards on duty the times I payed attention to it."

WotBS IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4049287)
WotBS OCC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4042744)
Maps and other images (http://picasaweb.google.com/helmetman/WarOfTheBurningSky)

WotBS Player Characters:
Rex Armiger (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952)
Garret (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=9817)
Duglan Strongheart (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=23791)
Gerran Uthun (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=38624)
Van Veranti (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=45009)
Claire Bloodangel (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=45051)

gareth
2008-03-12, 11:56 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) runs excitedly down the stairs. I've got it! He pauses to catch his breath. Most of the graveyards here are outside the city. We could get a coffin, wear mourning clothes, and say we're going to bury someone. That might persuade the guards to let us out.

Methates
2008-03-13, 08:13 AM
Van Veranti

"Indeed, that might persuade them to-" Van abruptly stops speaking and shifts his attention to something just outside his perception. Slowly he stands up, takes out his longbow and readies an arrow.

"There is somebody above us. Tell me, Torrent, were you expecting visitors who did not know how to use a door tonight?" he says with a serious expression, looking towards the stairs. Unless Torrent tells him that it's ok, he'll continue moving behind the bar for cover.

gareth
2008-03-13, 01:29 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) pulls out his crossbow and aims it up the stairs.
There was no-one up there before.
He follows Van behind the bar.

dual_wielder
2008-03-13, 02:37 PM
Spot:[roll]1d20+1[/roll
Listen:[roll0]

Gerran sits back in his chair, breathing a deep, calming sigh.

I am sorry for losing my temper. I hold this city very dear, and hate to see any harm come to its citizens. I hope that you all will not think to badly about me.

He bows and resumes his speech.

I think the plan with the coffin seems to be a good idea. We could charm a few of the guards too just to tip the scales in our favor.

As the elf raises his bow in alarm, Gerran stands quickly, his sword in his hands before anyone noticed him draw it.

What do you sense, my friend?

druid_grif
2008-03-13, 02:50 PM
As Van saddles over the bar to take cover, Torrent stands up alarmed, "No company expected or wanted. Be prepared for an ambush." She starts chanting and undulating her arms in a wave like motion. You feel an almost physical wave of peace and calm sweep over your being. In the confusion, no one hears any more footsteps, but several muffled thumps seem to come from above you.

Let's get Initiative, Spot and Listen checks please. Everyone get's +1 to attack rolls and fear saves because of Bless. I put a map of the dining area on the maps page.

Torrent
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Maps and other images (http://picasaweb.google.com/helmetman/WarOfTheBurningSky)

WotBS Player Characters:
Garret (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=9817)

druid_grif
2008-03-13, 02:51 PM
grrr....

Torrent
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Methates
2008-03-13, 03:16 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Van takes a position behind the bar, on the left side, so that he can be close to the stairs but still retain some cover. He then readies his bow to fire on the first person he sees come down the stairs, but only if they are armed.

"Watch out, there could be more coming from outside" he says, throwing a quick glance behind him.

bchilders
2008-03-13, 03:35 PM
Duglan
HP-13/13
AC 18

Duglan moves to table and throws it in front of the stairs to impede the movement of anyone coming down. He draws his dual waraxes and says a quick prayer that his father's spirit watch over him.

If the table is too large I will throw several chairs in the way.

Initiative:[roll0]

Spot:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]

Silverkiss
2008-03-13, 03:57 PM
Claire

Claire quicklys grabs her morningstar from under her cape and keeps an eye on the front door, while still trying to pay attention to the stair. She stays focused, with a very serious face.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Oh yes, a quick question to the DM, are spells from the Complete Divine book allowed ?

Quxelopqr
2008-03-13, 05:13 PM
spot: [roll0] listen: [roll1] initiative: [roll2]

"Don't worry about the door, I've got it." Garret will move slightly behind the door and draw his greatsword, readying an action to charge the first armed person to come through it.

dual_wielder
2008-03-13, 05:34 PM
Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]
Initiative:[roll2]

Gerran positions himself around the corner from the foot of the stairs, readying himself to strike the first person to come down. He focuses his entire body, and begins to exude an almost palpable aura of calm and confidence. He closes his eyes and allows himself to concentrate all of his power into his arms and voice.
Stay steady now my friends. No enemy can frighten us. No foul Ragesian scum will take from us what we deserve. Do not allow yourselves a moment of fear, for now is the time to remain strong and united.

Entering Bolstering Voice stance. All allies gain +2 to Will saves, +4 vs. fear

gareth
2008-03-13, 06:10 PM
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Initiative [roll2]

Rex moves behind the bar, next to Van, and readies himself to fire his crossbow at the first person to come down the stairs with a drawn weapon.

druid_grif
2008-03-13, 06:44 PM
Torrent unhooks a well-made, unique looking battleaxe and goes over by the bar, clearly ready to protect the casters.

[roll0]
[roll1]

WotBS Player Characters:

Silverkiss
2008-03-13, 06:44 PM
Claire

Seein that Garret got the door covered, Claire prepares to provide backup to however needs it, seeing as head-on fighting is not exactly her best trait.

druid_grif
2008-03-13, 06:57 PM
As everyone readies for the ambush, a voice is heard commanding,"Front door: Go!" A second later a whollup hits the door, breaking the board holding it and swinging it in forcefully. A human with black clothing covering scale mail drops a portable ram, and gruffly demands,"Drop your weapons and come quietly. We don’t
want to break your valuable little heads."

The thugs have opened the door and are about to enter. I will give a bit of time to change readied actions etc.

WotBS Player Characters:

Quxelopqr
2008-03-13, 07:08 PM
HP: 10 AC: 18 (14 touch/flatfooted)
"Heh, such a shame. I do."
Garret uses his readied action to charge the man with his greatsword.

attack: [roll0] (-2 if there isn't enough room to charge) damage: [roll1]

dual_wielder
2008-03-13, 07:40 PM
"This is no town guard..." Gerran shifts his focus from the stairs to the door, moving towards Garret and backing him up with his greatsword.

Give me some room and I'll clear this doorway, Garret. I'll push them into the street so we can bar the door!

I'll just move closer to the door, but leave enough room so I can charge for a bullrush attempt (using the Charging Minotaur maneuver). Also, Bolstering voice is no longer in effect.

Silverkiss
2008-03-13, 08:04 PM
Claire

Moving closer to the door, but still leaving enough space to not get into the way of the fighters, and still trying to pay attention to the side door and to the stairs, Claire says:

"So, you are going to go against the town guards after all ?" Even though they were arguing before, Claire says this with a smile on her face, and doesn't seem to be saying this to anger Gerran.

druid_grif
2008-03-13, 08:15 PM
Gerret steps in front of the doorway and swings his mighty greatsword. Not expecting anyone to be ready for the assault, the first guy takes the full force of the greatsword and follows the arc of the sword to the ground. Garret sees several more men dressed in black staring in shock as their leadman goes down. They drop the cudgels they were carrying and reach for swords at their sides. A man in gray plate armor sitting upon a horse in the middle of the street swears loudly and orders,"Take out the fighters, but don't forget to keep the magic users alive."

WotBS Player Characters:

dual_wielder
2008-03-13, 08:41 PM
These don't appear to be any town guards, but of course I could be wrong. What I want to know is how did they discover our plan and locations so quickly...

Gerran breaks a smile as the man in the doorway falls to the ground.

gareth
2008-03-13, 10:31 PM
Rex turns towards the front door, readying himself to shoot the first enemy who enters who isn't in melee with an ally.

bchilders
2008-03-13, 11:16 PM
Duglan

Seeing his new companion take the first man through the front door down quickly Duglan looks to the other entrances for more attackers.

Duglan will delay his turn while trying to keep an eye on the other entrances. If someone appears from any of them he will move to engage them.

Methates
2008-03-14, 12:29 AM
Van Veranti

"Get out of the doorway so that I can have a clear shot...if we lead them in one by one, they'll be much easier to handle. And did I hear something about taking the magic users alive? Could these be men of the inquisitors?" Van aims his bow at the doorway and prepares to fire as soon as he is given a clear shot.

[roll0](+1 if within 30 ft.)
[roll1](+1 if within 30 ft.)

Quxelopqr
2008-03-14, 12:39 AM
Garret sees the other men drawing their swords and thinks that charging all of them might not be smart even with the rest of the group behind him. He stays in the doorway but tries to give the elf enough room to prove himself a shooter and points the sword to the enemy leader. "I think you should leave before you get hurt." To the group behind him he says, "I really don't wanna think about it right now, but maybe a mole in the resistance?"

druid_grif
2008-03-14, 08:24 AM
From up above, you hear several thugs running towards the stairs. As that is happening, everyone hears this from above:
Whump!
BOOM!!!
A second later several more of the same sounds just as loud occur in quick succession. The building shakes violently, ceiling boards crack and buckle, and fiery oily rain seeps through the ceiling. You then hear ear-piercing screams from upstairs. A man half falls down the stairs completely aflame, wildly waving his arms. He collapses at the bottom of the stairs on top of the table.

Torrent ducks under the debris and oil falling from the ceiling. She moves closer to the stairs to head off anyone coming after the ranged party members.

Everyone needs to make a Reflex Save (DC 10) or take 1 point of damage from the oil. I need actions from Rex, Duglan, Van, and Claire. Then the enemy will go. Garret and Gerran can post or wait until I have gone.

[roll0]

WotBS Player Characters:

Methates
2008-03-14, 10:44 AM
[roll0]

Van Veranti

Van utters an elven curse as he does his best to dodge the flames, then checks the door behind him. He opens it a crack and peeks out, just to see where it leads, ready to close it again if there is danger.

gareth
2008-03-14, 02:12 PM
Reflex [roll0]

Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) easily dodges the burning oil.
We have to get out of here, now!

bchilders
2008-03-14, 02:39 PM
Duglan

After getting singed slightly by the dripping oil, Dugaln quickly saw that the only options would soon be getting burnt alive in the building or running out to confront the mob, so he yells at Torrent, "Is there a back way out of this place!"

I will delay my turn until I get an answer, if there isn't one I'll charge out the front door.

Reflex:[roll0]

If charging:
Attack:[roll1] +2 if actually charging
Damage:[roll2]

Silverkiss
2008-03-14, 03:11 PM
Claire

Rolling to avoid the burning rain, Claire proceeds to the stairs to help Torrent with anyone who comes down.

"Damm, how many of them are here ?"

[roll0]

Claire will stay by the stairs with Torrent and will protect that passage, attacking anyone who comes down.
Attack and damage rolls on OOC, I forgot you can't post rolls on an edit.

dual_wielder
2008-03-14, 05:14 PM
Reflex:[roll0]

Gerran does his best to avoid the dripping oil, getting ready to unblock the doorway should they need an exit fast.

If we don't get out of here fast, I'll make us a path through the front.

Delaying my action until we decide what we're doing.

druid_grif
2008-03-14, 07:54 PM
To Van:

Although it is dark, the small amount of light from the lamp shows that the room is a kitchen. You don't see an exit but it is dark.

To the others:

The horse that the leader is astride tries to buck when it hears the explosions. The rider quickly brings it under heel and looks around the street. "Let's get this done quick." The closest thug to the door steps up and takes a swing at Garret with a short sword.

A feral looking half-orc in studded leather armor barrels down the stairs and flips his burnt companion and the table over to get past it. Torrent is there and ready with a graceful swing of her battleaxe. With the orcs attention on Torrent's fluidic swings, Claire steps in and glances a blow off the goon's shoulder with her morningstar.

The only exits are the frontdoor to the south which is blocked, the rope bridge on the roof going to another building, and the side entrance that you came in which is to the east.

Torrent's attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Thug's Attack against Garret:
[roll2]
[roll3]

WotBS Player Characters:

gareth
2008-03-14, 08:34 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) jumps at the sound of the half-orc coming down the stairs, and fires at it before he realises Torrent and Claire are in melee with it.
Light crossbow attack:
To hit (including Bless and melee penalty) [roll0]
If it threatens: [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Critical hit damage [roll3]

The shot misses, and Rex ducks down below the bar to reload.

bchilders
2008-03-14, 09:26 PM
Duglan

Duglan will move to the half-rorc who just barreled down the stairs and attack. He yells to the rest of the group, "So what's the plan here?"

Move and attack half-orc. I'll use the unused attack roll from my previous post. Will try to flank if possible.

Attack: 17
Damage: 11

Methates
2008-03-14, 10:53 PM
Van Veranti

Van looks uncertainly about, then decides to move across the bar to the east door and takes a peek outside that door.

dual_wielder
2008-03-15, 09:18 AM
Gerran moves towards the doorway, attacking the thug that is going after his teammate. He wishes he had enough room to just push the man through the door, but cutting him down should be just as satisfying.

If the thug isn't all the way through the door, or I can't attack him for some other reason, I'll change my action.
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Using Stone Bones maneuver

Quxelopqr
2008-03-15, 12:08 PM
Garret will attack the thug in front of him, saying "I say we go out through the front door!"
((ooc- how many thugs are there?))
attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1] reflex save: [roll2]

gareth
2008-03-15, 01:17 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) stands up behind the bar, chanting and making intricate gestures while holding a tiny scrap of wool.
Casting Daze on the thug attacking Garret, DC 16.

druid_grif
2008-03-15, 05:00 PM
Debris and oil have mostly stopped falling from the ceiling. The room is slowly filling with an oily acrid smoke that makes your eyes sting. The smell of the burning human in the corner makes you want to gag and run out of the house. There are several areas in the large room with burning debris, making it difficult to maneuver in a straight line. Rex stands up from behind the bar, firing his crossbow and missing; Duglan, seeing that there is no space to get a good swing at the half-orc, moves around the debris towards the door. Van sees most of his ways blocked by debris but decides to climb over the bar and reaches the door. Opening it a crack, he is looking the opposite way as the main street and does not see anyone or anything of note. Everyone hears the temple bells start up again with a noticeably more urgent quality to them.

How do you have rolls in your post and still edit it later? Ill just do a second post now. Is there a good post to read on the rules on rolls and can you post it in the OCC thread?

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
I will make opposed rolls and AoO to speed up the flow of the game unless there is major objections.

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll]Damage]1d8+2
Claire has cover and half-orc is partially obstructed by the table in the same square.

WotBS Player Characters:

druid_grif
2008-03-15, 05:14 PM
The thug in front of Garret tries to push him out of the doorway, but Garret easily throws the attacker back. The half-orc parries several more of Torrents swift attacks, and takes a viscous swipe at her head but she ducks in time. Another half-orc awkwardly tries to attack Claire but misses badly. Rex stands to his full height, doing arcane symbols with his hands, focusing on the half-orc closest to him.
Torrent takes another good swipe at the half-orc in front of her.

Do two actions Dual as you can't get in the space because of debris. I put a new map up showing debris with an X.

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

WotBS Player Characters:

Quxelopqr
2008-03-15, 05:34 PM
After tossing the thug backwards, Garret tries to attack him again.

attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1]

Silverkiss
2008-03-15, 06:47 PM
Claire

Graciously dodging the half-orc's attack, Claire turns and tries to smash the beast's head with her morningstar, while shouting:

"Die, you mindless monster !"

Do I also have a penalty attacking the half-orc ? If so, I will attack the other half-orc, near Torrent. If I also have a penalty attacking him, I'll just attack the half-orc in front of me.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

bchilders
2008-03-15, 10:41 PM
Duglan

Getting slightly frustrated with not having struck a blow in this fight yet, Duglan takes a step towards the nearest thug and strikes with both of his axes.

Attack1:[roll0] I'll put critical confirmation in OOC
Damage1:[roll1]

Attack2:[roll2]
Damage2:[roll3]

gareth
2008-03-15, 11:21 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) calls out to Van:
Is that door clear?
Seeing the first half-orc is injured, he switches his attention to the other one, and repeats his spell.
Casting Daze on the uninjured half-orc, DC 16.

druid_grif
2008-03-15, 11:37 PM
Torrent slices her waraxe, getting to know the manerisms of her opponent. She sidesteps one attack, swings low and takes the leg out from under the half-orc. He screams, falling to the ground. Duglan, annoyed that he hasn't chopped any legs off, flies past Torrent to stand over the body of the fallen, bringing down two axes on the unaware half-orc focused on Claire. He crumples to the floor. Claire and Duglan see no one else on the stairs.

Including the guy that bull rushed Garret, there are three thugs visible and the leader on the horse.
I still need actions from Van and Gerran.

WotBS Player Characters:

Silverkiss
2008-03-16, 12:04 AM
Claire

"Stair's clear, it seems. Let's go help the others."

Claire turns to face the destroyed room, and takes a whole picture of it, including what everyone is doing, and if someone needs immediate help.

Methates
2008-03-16, 10:21 AM
Van Veranti

"I believe so" Van says to Rex. He then tries to sneak out and go to the southeast corner of the building where he will take a peek at the opposition.

[roll0]
[roll1]

gareth
2008-03-16, 01:27 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) calls out to the whole group, pointing to the east door:
Let's go! I'll daze that guy you're fighting so he doesn't get a free hit, but we have to go now!
I'm not casting Daze yet, it isn't my turn.

druid_grif
2008-03-16, 10:43 PM
Van opens the door enough to slink through; he heads towards a pile of trash and crouches behind it. Looking towards the main street, he sees another half-orc standing at the corner. He seems more focused on the battle at the front door than the dark alley. Van sneaks back to the door to the pub, opens the door...

bchilders
2008-03-16, 11:25 PM
Duglan

Duglan moves to help those at the front door. He looks at his new companions and says, "Let's take this fight to them."

If he can attack someone he will if not he will move to the front door next to his other companions.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

gareth
2008-03-17, 01:27 AM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) casts his spell once more, on the thug nearest to him. He steps over the bar and exits through the east door.
Casting Daze on the nearest thug. I think a move action will take me all of the way out the door but if not I'm still inside.

druid_grif
2008-03-17, 07:55 AM
Gerran carefully walks towards the side door, keeping careful watch on all the available exits. Seeing Van exit and not come back in, Gerran opens the door as Van opens it from the other side. Startled for a sec, Van quickly notes,"There's a not so good watchout covering this alleyway. You can sneak to a nearby trash heap and I bet he won't notice." The door closes and Van goes to hide behind the trash pile.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

druid_grif
2008-03-17, 08:08 AM
The thug starts to charge Garret again, seeing it coming Garret sidesteps, bringing his greatsword down on the right shoulder, severing cloth, armor, and flesh. Garret shakes the corpse off his sword and looks out the door with a menacing look.

The leader swears at the loss of another henchman, looks around, and orders,"I think it's time to go, it seems the Ragesian bombs have done their handiwork." Without making sure his men heard him, he urges his horse into a trot, going out of sight. The thugs, seeing their men go down so quickly, are happy to oblige, running down the street.

Torrent moves to the middle of the room, watching the stairs and what is happening at the front door.

Silverkiss
2008-03-17, 06:57 PM
Claire

Claire also aproaches the middle of the room, following Torrent, cursing at the beasts for their attack, and their escape. While looking through the damage done to the tavern, Claire says loudly enough so everyone can hear:

"Great, now the building is almost destroyed and some of them escaped. Could there be a traitor among the Resistance ?" After a short pause, Claire continues: "What we do now ? Continue as planned and go meet the gnome ? Change plans ? Pursue those bastards ?" These last questions were more directed to Torrent, but also to the rest of the group.

bchilders
2008-03-17, 07:12 PM
Duglan

Duglan runs out the door shouting insults at those running away before coming back into the in to say, "So what now?"

gareth
2008-03-17, 08:29 PM
Rex pokes his head back in the door.
You do realise this place is still burning, don't you? Come on out before you suffocate.
He turns to Claire.
If the Resistance had any security, it's clearly blown to the Nine Hells now. That gnome's either dead by now or working for the other side. I say we get out of this city right now.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-17, 08:39 PM
Garret shakes his head as he puts the sword away. "The gnome's still our only lead, although we are all witnesses to the continued destructive nature of Ragesia tonight. I'll go with the group on this one."

druid_grif
2008-03-17, 09:43 PM
Everyone exits the smoldering building and meets in front of the pub. What you see disturbs you more than the battle in the pub. Down the street, there are several houses that are on fire or are smoking. People mill about in heavy cloaks over their nightclothes, huddled in groups talking. The temple bells are still ringing as frantically as before.

"It looks like the war is upon the city already," Torrent says sadly. "As for a mole I do not know or maybe I don't wish to know, but I believe these guys were here for a different purpose. My guess is they followed someone that looks like a magic user to the pub and decided to raid the place for other magic users. I have heard there are bounties on our heads. On a better note, I have full confidence in this groups ability to defend itself now. I believe we need to meet this gnome. The resistance leaders made it clear to me that this was very important secret information. What we do at this very moment though, is up to all of you."

She then takes off her wristband with her holy symbol and puts it in a pouch. She takes a heavy cloak out her pack, and puts it on over her armor.

gareth
2008-03-18, 12:58 AM
Rex turns his red robe inside-out, exposing the black interior, and pulls the hood up. He conceals his crossbow, spellbook and component pouch inside the robe.
Maybe I look a little less like a wizard now.
He pauses, considering Torrent's advice.
All right, we can spend some time checking the gnome out. But we've got to be prepared for an ambush. Gerran, you're our best melee fighter, you should be the one to approach him. The rest of us will hide and back you up if there's trouble.

Methates
2008-03-18, 10:27 AM
Van Veranti

Van nods.

"If anything, we need the Gnome now more than ever. Let's hurry before we encounter another raiding party."

Silverkiss
2008-03-18, 12:36 PM
Claire

Following the others outside while making sure that her armor and weapon are well-hidden under her travelling cloak, Claire says:

"My personal opinion is that we go 'to hell with it' and escape, but if you guys really think we could gain something by going to meet this gnome, I won't object. However, Rex is right; we should go prepared for an ambush."

Standing in the street alongside the others, watching the houses burning and all the people around, Claire mumbles "Not again...", waiting for the group to decide on it's actions.

druid_grif
2008-03-18, 06:23 PM
Gathering their wits and their possessions, Torrent walks with the group towards the Emelk Way. As they get closer to the main thoroughfare, the streets get more and more crowded with people talking in small groups, looking around with looks of shock, or crying while holding their family.

A block before getting to Emelk Way, you see a man holding an unconscious woman in his arms. His arms, face and clothes show signs of being burnt. His three kids huddle together, crying and whimpering. He calls out for help to anyone that is walking by, and as you get closer, he swoons and falls to the snow packed ground in a heap.

Silverkiss
2008-03-18, 07:15 PM
Claire

Claire walks by the man without stopping, but then her eyes meet with those of the children, and she says in a low tone, to herself "Damn this..."

Kneeling by the man, she tries to wake him up. "Hey, hey, wake up. Damn, please wake up." Then she looks to both sides, to see if there's someone suspicious nearby, and grabs her skull-shaped necklace, her divine symbol, and starts to pray with her free hand over the man.

Cast Cure Minor Wounds on the man, it should be enough, right ? If I manage to wake him without the magic, I cast it on the woman instead.

druid_grif
2008-03-18, 10:54 PM
Torrent, her attention focused on something Duglan was saying about his father, sees Claire step over to the side of the street. She breaks away and comes over, feeling the small burst of energy flow from Claire into the burnt man. Surprised, she leans down next to the woman while fishing her holy symbol out of her pocket. Torrent prays to her god while thinking of the beautiful sea she is so far away from, laying her hand on the woman. A feeling of pure joy fills her body as the energy is released into the dying woman. Both patients stir and slowly regain consciousness. The man thanks Claire and Torrent, apologizing for not having anything to give in payment.

"Just give something to the gods when you get back on your feet. You guys better go find shelter quickly or the cold will grab you like the fire almost did." Torrent smiles wanly as they move down the road. "Maybe a little too much death for you this night, Claire?"

Finally getting on the Emelk Way, you have a better view of the sky. You see small shapes far up in the sky criss-crossing each other. You walk with the rest of the crowds through the gate into the next section of the city. The guards at the gate look as flustered and frightened as the regular citizens. A few blocks down, you come up to a cluster of four story buildings that are almost completely engulfed in flame. A small crowd gathers outside one and as you look up to see what they are peering at, you see a young woman on the fourth floor leaning out the window screaming for help.

WotBS Player Characters:

Silverkiss
2008-03-19, 06:41 PM
Claire

Just after Torrent's comment, Claire mumbles something and answers:

"Not really. Death does not bother me, it is natural and necessary, just one side of the whole 'coin' that is our existance. What really bothered me were the children. Who knows if they could survive without their parents, and what if they had nowhere to go ? What if they had no one to go to ? They would live a lonely and miserable life."

After these words, Claire remains silent, walking with the group and paying attention to the people around them. When they pass through the gate, she looks up at the guards, and right after that she goes to walk by the side of Gerran, and says to him:

"I see now what you said about the town guards. I am sorry I reacted the way I did." Claire bows quickly to apologise, but is distracted by the commotion of the small crowd and stops talking to see the building in flames and the woman trapped inside it.

bchilders
2008-03-19, 08:43 PM
Duglan

Duglan follows the rest of the group as they encounter the family and says a small prayer to the Forgefather for their well being after his companions heal them. When they reach the four story building the screams of the women trapped reach Duglans ears. He looks up at her and something inside him wells up. Without a look to his new companions Duglan runs headlong into the building hurrying as fast as he can to the general area he saw the lady at the window.

Sorry it has been a while..the site has been giving me fits. Nothing like making up for lost time by running headlong into a burning building:smallbiggrin:

Quxelopqr
2008-03-19, 10:38 PM
As he sees Duglan run into the building, Garret yells after him. Running into a burning building? Is he insane? The fires of the building remind him of his own home, and he shivers a bit, his legs refusing to take him into the fire. To the woman in the building he yells "Hold on, help is coming!" Run fast Duglan, run fast.

gareth
2008-03-20, 12:19 AM
Rex rolls his eyes as Duglan runs into the building.
Van, tie that silk rope of yours to an arrow and try shooting it into the window so she can climb down. My crossbow isn't powerful enough.

Methates
2008-03-20, 02:45 PM
Van Veranti

"Yes, I was just thinking the same thing...Milady! Step away from the window, or you could get hurt!" Van calls out as he ties his rope to the end of one of his arrows. He then takes careful aim and fires his arrow up toward the window once the woman moves out of the way.

Rolling a normal attack roll, not sure what modifiers might apply to it...>.>

[roll0]

druid_grif
2008-03-20, 05:00 PM
Duglan charges through the crowd and opens the front door to the burning building. He tugs at the door and it gives way forcefully, throwing him back and out of the way as fire bellows free from the building. Slightly singed, Duglan realizes that that will not be the best way in.

Van's arrow flies true and goes through the open window. The woman appears at the window about a minute later and yells,"Okay, I tied off the rope as best I can. What if I fall though?" Smoke slowly starts to exit through the open window.

I have had nasty probs with the site. No worries if you guys can't get in either.

bchilders
2008-03-20, 08:56 PM
Duglan

Duglan roars loudly as flames billow out the front door. He looks back to his companions shooting an arrow into the window and chuckles, "Your way seems much safer." He heads beneath the window to help ease the ladies mind in case she does fall, "I'll catch ye ma'am."

druid_grif
2008-03-20, 11:15 PM
"No offense, friend, but isn't there someone else a bit taller. I just don't want to fall four stories and squish a dwarf."

That was a set up I just couldn't resist.

Silverkiss
2008-03-20, 11:46 PM
Claire

Claire pays attention to the woman in the burning building, acting like it was all fine and alright. Showing a bit more of anger than was necessary, she shouts to the woman:

"By the Gods, woman, just get down here already or we'll just leave your there to burn ! You won't fall, and even if you do, this dwarf here is stronger than most men I've met !"

After this, she takes a little distance from the rest of the group, mumbling "Unnecessary, just unnecessary...". She then seats by the main road, closes her eyes and starts to pray in a very low voice:

"Forgive me my Lord, for through my actions or those of my comrades, three souls were stopped from following to your domains. I shall repay my debt as soon as I have the chance, sending as much of those beasts as I can to your care."

gareth
2008-03-21, 02:07 AM
Rex moves next to Duglan and holds his arms out ready to help catch the woman. He calls out to the others:
Come on, people, we can cooperate on this.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-21, 12:58 PM
Garret joins Rex and Duglan, yelling up to the woman, "Ma'am, there's no way you can fall and squish all of us. Trust us, we'll catch you!" To the group Garret says "Does anyone have a big blanket? I have a bedroll here, maybe we can spread it out and hold it, make some kind of bigger target for her to land on?"

((OOC: Going for the fireman thing here, I can't place the right name for it for the life of me right now though.))

druid_grif
2008-03-21, 03:00 PM
The woman looks less paniced as Garret, Rex, Duglan, and several others hold the blanket underneath the window. She climbs out the window, inching slowly down the rope. The crowd hushes in anticipation.

[roll0]

If needed...
[roll1]
[roll2]

She speeds up as she gets comfortable on the rope. In fact, she makes it look pretty easy. On the other hand, Garret and the others don't know how to keep the blanket taught. She gets to the ground, thanks all those who helped profusely, gives Duglan a big hug and kiss on the cheek, and walks over to the other tennants watching their homes crumble to the ground. You look up once more and flames are bellowing out the window.

The group sets out for the next gate, as they approach, they see that there is a large group of people waiting to get through. Inexplicably, people start screaming ahead of you.

I need a Will saving throw for fear effect and a spot/listen check.

I may be erratic in my posting this weekend as I will be out of town. I will probably get at least one post in a day though.

WotBS Player Characters:

gareth
2008-03-21, 03:41 PM
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Will roll in next post
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) draws his crossbow and peers into the crowd, trying to see what's scaring everyone.

gareth
2008-03-21, 03:45 PM
Will save [roll0]

Silverkiss
2008-03-21, 05:05 PM
Claire

Alert to what is going on, Claire moves her hand close to her weapon, so she can draw it fast if needed, but remaining it out of sight under her travelling cloak.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

bchilders
2008-03-21, 07:13 PM
Duglan

Duglan travels along with the rest of his group. When he hears the screaming start he puts his hands on both of his axes, but follows his companions lead to try not to brandish them out in the open.

Will:[roll0]

Methates
2008-03-21, 10:06 PM
Van Veranti

Van draws his bow and looks up ahead at what is happening...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Quxelopqr
2008-03-21, 11:55 PM
Looking ahead to the crowd, Garret tries to look over the running people. His hand moves to his bow.

will save [roll0]

druid_grif
2008-03-23, 08:01 PM
As a palpable fear grips all but Claire, the crowd bolts in every direction. Those caught in the fear tend to weather the shifting of the crowds direction with ease. Claire, keeping her wits, tries to go along with the flow while keeping most of her party mates in view. She looks up at just the right time to see a bat winged creature about the size of a house fly by about one hundred feet up or so. After about a minute, the crowd comes to it's senses. A few minutes of searching gets the party back together and off towards the gate. A guard is being carried off by his brothers as it looks like he jumped from the precipice above and was trampled by the mob. You move slowly through the gate and Torrent leads you off the Emelk Way.

Fewer people are out on the streets here but you do see a wealthy dressed man moving down the street, yelling for Kiki. He comes up to you and asks,"Have you seen my pet, Kiki. A bomb hit my house and the poor thing bolted. If you see her, I will gladly give you a reward for her return. I live right there." He points to a nearby all stone shop with an apartment on the second floor. Without waiting for an answer, he moves off down the street.

After two more blocks of walking, you see a 80 foot tower ahead. Walking up to the closed iron gate, a dwarf in a guard's uniform comes up to the gate,"State your business. We don't need no rioters 'round here."

Torrent pulls out a key from a pocket and shows the guard. He looks over the group suspiciously, but signals the gate to be opened. He escorts your party past manicured gardens, a statue of the four elemental spirits - a dragon, a worm, a kraken, and an eagle, and another statue of Emperor Coaltongue lifting a lit lantern over his head. You head into a small gatehouse attached to the tower. There are two other guards, an half-orc and a dwarf, playing cards. They open the door and warn,"Just do your business and leave. Do not mess with the rest of the lockers."

Sorry I was gone for so long. I really need to get a laptop again. Let's do spot/listen checks and marching order if you think it is a trap. Any other plans?

gareth
2008-03-23, 09:03 PM
Rex puts his crossbow away unfired and follows the party to the gatehouse, keeping the stronger members of the party in front of him. When he enters the gatehouse he looks around suspiciously.
Torrent, what exactly are we doing here?

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

druid_grif
2008-03-24, 12:03 AM
Torrent whispers to Rex,"I have a vault key for some personal items. This is our meeting place with the gnome. He should know what I look like as he was given a description as I was him. I was mainly told he was really ugly. His name is Rivereye Badgerface. Crazy Gnomish names..."

gareth
2008-03-24, 02:43 AM
Rex looks warily at the guards, then moves away to stand in a corner where he can see both them and Torrent. He starts to chant faintly under his breath.

Readying an action to cast Charm Person on the first humanoid to threaten any member of the party

bchilders
2008-03-24, 10:38 AM
Duglan

Duglans entire body shivers as the winged figure flies overhead. As he finds the rest of his group he sees that many of his companions were also affected by the figure.

When they make it to the gatehouse Duglan looks around nervously, hoping their worries of a trap are all in vain.

Silverkiss
2008-03-24, 11:47 AM
Claire

After reuniting with the group, Claire thinks to herself What a band of weaklings, do we really hold a chance in this war ?, but her thoughts are quickly gone when they reach the gatehouse.

Inside the building, Claire gives an angered look to the half-orc, but remains silent, standing by Torrent and waiting for the gnome, while paying attention to her surroundings.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Methates
2008-03-24, 12:51 PM
Van Veranti

Van stifles a giggle at hearing the gnomes name, but tries to keep his senses alert. He keeps his bow out while looking around.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Quxelopqr
2008-03-24, 07:16 PM
Garret walks towards the front of the group, keeping his wits about him. I can't believe that thing scared me like that. I't didn't even do anything, just being there was enough. I hope that wasn't something from Ragesia.

spot: [roll0] listen: [roll1]

druid_grif
2008-03-25, 12:22 AM
Torrent steps into the large dark circular room. She lights her lantern before proceeding past the doorway. The dwarf guard explains as you enter,"Don't be startled if'n you see a really ugly gnome 'n here."

The first floor of the tower is one huge room, and though the far side is hidden in shadows, it looks to be about sixty feet in diameter. A broad stone ramp circles clockwise upward to the left of the door, while the interior of the room is filled with aisles of metal lockers, each slightly larger than a coffin propped upright. The ceiling is twenty feet high, supported by squat round columns.

The door shuts behind you. You stand there a second, waiting for the light shift to wear away. As you look up the steps, you see a short humanoid walking down the stairs. He is wheezing and coughing into a white handkerchief. As he gets closer, you see that his reputation truly fits. He is easily the ugliest gnome you have ever seen, and possibly one of the ugliest humanoids. He is bald except for a few wisps of hair coming out of his slightly pointed head. His ears are to large for his head and the multiple piercings do not detract for that fact. His wrinkled face sports a grey goatee and piercing green eyes. He walks up to Garret, who is the closest to him, extends a hand and says in a husky voice for a gnome,"Forgive my cold, I get one every time I visit this god's forsaken city. Peppin, my friend, it has been to long. Best we get this business finished so I can find a nice place to sleep until this battle is over." He chuckles to himself at his little joke, then waits for Garret to say his pleasantries.

I guess Torrent gets to look around too. I am going to assume at this point that Dual is MIA. I will work him back into the story if he comes back later, but assume he went back to his Monastery to defend the town.

[roll0]
[roll1]

WotBS Player Characters:

gareth
2008-03-25, 01:34 AM
As there's no obvious threat in the gatehouse, Rex follows the others inside. He scowls at the gnome.
Tell me, Rivereye Badgerface, if that is your real name. How did you get involved in the resistance, and what exactly are you delivering to us?

Sense Motive check for any bluff [roll0]

druid_grif
2008-03-26, 12:10 AM
Rivereye looks at Rex strangely, then questions Garret,"You have some strange associates, Peppin. Tell him be quiet so we can go about our business."

Quxelopqr
2008-03-26, 11:23 AM
((thought I already posted sorry for the delay))

Garret shakes the gnome's hand quickly, then says "Don't worry about him. Now let's hear what you have to say." What does he mean by Peppin? Wierdo.

sense motive for what he says: [roll0]

druid_grif
2008-03-26, 11:43 AM
Peppin is a not so popular given name.

I will update in a bit. Carry on if you want.

Methates
2008-03-26, 01:39 PM
Van Veranti

Van tries to hide another laugh, but the large grin across his face betrays him.

"Peppin...that's a good name for you Garret. Peppin Garret, has a nice ring to it!" The whole situation strikes Van as a little amusing, perhaps due in part to his need to find a way to help cope with the stressful situation. Partly also, perhaps, because the Gnome just struck Van as amusing.

"Yes, can we please hurry this along? I certainly don't think we should spend any more time here than we have to."

Silverkiss
2008-03-26, 03:51 PM
Claire

Claire stands by the group, paying attention to the gnome, but not saying anything. She is really disgusted at the gnome's appearence, so she steps back a little, to move away from the aberration.

[roll0]

bchilders
2008-03-26, 09:15 PM
Duglan

Duglan stays in the back keeping his eyes and ears peeled to make sure this is not a trap.

druid_grif
2008-03-26, 10:47 PM
After "Peppin" Garret shakes Rivereye's hand, the gnome turns around and starts going up the stairs he just came down. Garret and the others follow him up the stairs; the second floor is very similar to the first floor. Rivereye walks over to a locker on the south end of the room and stops. Garret reaches the locker, with the others behind him, and Rivereye says,"Okay, give me the password, Peppin, so we can get into the locker."

Quxelopqr
2008-03-27, 04:48 PM
"Really Van? You like Peppin? Mr. Badgerface, what shall we call my elf aquaintence here?" Garret seems to dislike the name Peppin and gives the elf a smile that seems a little off.
When asked for the password, Garret has to look to Torrent. "I don't remember a password. Did you know it?"

druid_grif
2008-03-28, 12:30 AM
Torrent whispers to the group as they gather around the locker," I don't know of any Peppin. This gnome should be asking for me. Somethings not right about him."

As Garret sends the banter back to Van, Rivereye's face changes from confusion to understanding. The gnome bolts towards the south and around a locker, yelling,"Help would be appreciated." Garret and Van pick up the light accent of a Shahalesti speaking common. A moment later, a ball of light sweeps down from the third floor hovering near the ceiling.

[roll0] Gnome +7 Ball of Light +4
[roll1]

I put a map of the second floor of the depository up. The X is where the locker is and the gnome started running from. He went south around the corner of the lockers.

gareth
2008-03-28, 01:26 AM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) draws his crossbow and stares at the ball of light, trying to figure out what's producing it.
Knowledge (Arcana) Check: "What makes balls of light like that?"[roll0]

druid_grif
2008-03-28, 07:11 AM
Actually, I need Knowledge (the planes) checks if you have it on your class list.

Silverkiss
2008-03-28, 11:10 AM
Claire

"What the hell is this ?"

Claire readies her morningstar and her shield, paying attention to the ball of light and trying to figure out what it is.

Knowledge (The Planes) Check: "What the hell is that ball of light ?"
Messed up the post, roll in OOC.

gareth
2008-03-28, 01:20 PM
Rex frowns at the ball of light.
They never covered this at school. Maybe it's extraplanar thing.

Untrained Knowledge (The Planes) check: "What's that ball of light?"[roll0]

Quxelopqr
2008-03-28, 02:37 PM
Garret frowns at the light, drawing his bow and looking above to see what threw the light down.

initiative: [roll0] spot to see what's up there: [roll1]

bchilders
2008-03-28, 04:38 PM
Duglan

Duglan turned around when he heard the exclamation of his companions and sees this thing. He hefts both of his axes and gets ready for whatever happens.

Initiative:[roll0]

Spot:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]

Silverkiss
2008-03-28, 09:16 PM
Claire

"Oh, I remember now what that ball of light is, I saw it somewhere, a book I think. It is just a Lantern Archon, it should mean no harm to us... I hope."

Even with her calm words, Claire doesn't let go of her weapon and shield, still maintaning a fighting posture.

[roll0]

gareth
2008-03-28, 10:48 PM
Rex puts his crossbow away.
Claire's right, it shouldn't be any threat to us.
He turns to address the ball of light.
Welcome to the Material Plane, Your Refulgency. May I ask what brings you here?

druid_grif
2008-03-29, 08:25 AM
Torrent yells as Rivereye flees around the corner," We have to get that gnome." She runs around the corner, unstrapping her crossbow from her belt.

Waiting for Van before proceeding.

gareth
2008-03-29, 02:23 PM
Rex draws his crossbow again, and turns back to the ball of light.
Excuse me for a moment.
He runs after Torrent.

Methates
2008-03-29, 04:37 PM
((thanks for waiting, been fairly busy...>_<))

Van looks up at the light and takes out his vial of acid. He gets ready to throw the flask at the Archon if it makes any hostile actions.

[roll0]

druid_grif
2008-03-29, 08:06 PM
Torrent and Rex follow the gnome around the lockers. The gnome runs to the end of the row of lockers just before about a 30 foot drop onto the stairs going to the first floor. Torrent gets a shot off as the Rivereye jumps at full speed and hits the wall. Strangely he sticks to the wall, clinging like a spider.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Rex, you may fire no matter your init. If you get above a ten, you can move again also.
Duglan and Rex sees the door they passed at the top of the stairs open slightly. The door is at 10 o'clock on the map.

gareth
2008-03-29, 08:32 PM
Rex fires a crossbow bolt at the gnome.
To hit [roll0]
If it threatens [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Critical hit damage [roll3]
Initiative (if it becomes important) [roll4]

Rex stays in position and starts reloading.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-29, 09:39 PM
Garret chases off after Torrent, Rex, and the gnome, firing an arrow when appropriate.

attack: [roll0] damage:[roll1]

druid_grif
2008-03-29, 11:15 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rex's bolt hits the gnome in the shoulder. Exclaiming a Shahalesti curse, Rivereye begins scampering sideways across the wall toward the top of the stairs. As he follows the curve of the wall to the north, he comes into view of Garret. Garret, somewhat startled by the spider-gnome, fires haphazardly and misses.

The ball of yellow pulsing light speeds between Torrent and the gnome, still about 15 feet in the air. The pulse of light gets more magnified and a palpable sense of menace begins to flood Torrent's and Rex's soul.

I need a Will Save, Rex. Van, if you want to throw the acid at Rivereye, you can. You can throw it at the ball of light also.

gareth
2008-03-30, 01:15 AM
Will save [roll0]
Rex immediately drops his crossbow and puts his hands up. He shouts at the others:
Cease fire! We do not want to fight this thing, and it'll honour a surrender.
He turns to the ball of light.
I surrender, totally and unconditionally.

Methates
2008-03-30, 05:50 AM
Van Veranti

Van raises an eyebrow. He begins to throw his flask of acid, then stops.

"We're not looking for a fight here..." he says in common but while putting emphasis on his Shahalesti accent, "Can't we talk this through without resorting to violence?"

bchilders
2008-03-30, 11:05 AM
Duglan

Duglan's blood starts pumping as he realizes that this meeting has gone awry. He looks closer at the door as he swears it just opened a little on it's own. Just as he start to move into action he hears his companions shouting about a surrender. He can barely hold back the adrenaline rush but he hesitates to see what is happening.

Quxelopqr
2008-03-30, 12:12 PM
Garret keeps his bow out, but at hearing the yell of surrender he looks back to Rex. "Just 'cuz it's a freakish spider gnome you're gonna surrender? Or is it the ball of light?"

Silverkiss
2008-03-30, 12:46 PM
Claire

Getting closer to the rest of the group, Claire answers to Garret:

"That 'ball of light' is a Lantern Archon, my friend. It would not protect the gnome if he had ill-intentions. Maybe there is some misunderstanding happening here, and I don't think it would be wise to go against a Celestial so lightly."

While thinking to herself Or maybe he is being controlled or tricked..., Claire turns to the Archon and says:

"Hear me, holy Archon. We do not wish you harm. Why do you protect that gnome ? Please explain your motives."

druid_grif
2008-03-30, 03:34 PM
You sense that the ball of light turns towards Van when he speaks. It seems to stare at the elf for a few seconds before asking in a sing-song wispy voice,"Why do you fight against my Shahalesti friend?" The light intensifies for a second and the Archon says,"I cannot trust you, friend elf, because there is evil among you."

WotBS Player Characters:

druid_grif
2008-03-30, 03:44 PM
The gnome heads towards the door at the top of the stairs. Before going out the door, the gnome commands in Shahalesti,"Come." He then exits and the door closes behind him. The Archon wavers a few seconds in the air, clearly as confused as a ball of light can look.

Diplomacy checks if you want to talk to the Archon. +2 if you are elf or half-elf. Is anyone going after the gnome?

bchilders
2008-03-30, 04:13 PM
Duglan

Knowing nothing about this ball of light but clearly seeing the only lead they have slipping from their fingers, Duglan runs full speed at the retreating gnome.

gareth
2008-03-30, 06:29 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) calls out to Duglan.
Wait, don't scare him off.
He follows the gnome to the door, speaking in halting Gnomish.
I am sorry I shot you. I thought you were a bad man. Take this healing potion.
Rex takes out a potion of Cure Light Wounds and places it on the floor, then steps back so the gnome can take it without getting too close.

Diplomacy check to get the gnome to stay and pick up the potion:[roll0]

Methates
2008-03-30, 09:45 PM
[roll0] (with +2 for being an elf)

"But can't evil be turned to good in time? Can't the wicked be redeemed? Come, let us talk in peace...can't you convince your gnome friend to calm down?"

bchilders
2008-03-30, 09:47 PM
Duglan slows down but still pursues the gnome if he shows any more signs of retreating.

druid_grif
2008-03-30, 11:21 PM
The gnome is outside the door.
Duglan runs to the door and tries to open it. It seems stuck so he puts his shoulder into it and it opens wide. Going out the door, the dwarf is almost dumbfounded by the scene. Heavy smoke and the orange of fires fills the sky about a mile and a half to the west. Just at that moment, a flight of griffons with riders swoop past the building, their battle horns drowning out the screeches of the griffons. Duglan looks around and sees the gnome climbing up the wall of the depository, about 15 feet straight up.

The Archon weighs Van's words and answers,"Your words make sense but some of your actions do not. My duty is to serve the Shahalesti in the protection of their homeland. It is my sacred honor to fulfill my purpose." The Archon seems to ignore Duglan.

gareth
2008-03-31, 12:15 AM
Rex sighs and picks the potion up again.
You shoot someone once and it becomes a big issue...
He returns to the group.

Silverkiss
2008-03-31, 11:58 AM
Claire

Looking to the Archon with clear, confident eyes, Claire speaks to him:

"You can trust my words, Archon, we do not seek to mislead you from your duty, nor we mean harm to the Shahalesti. This was all a misunderstanding, we thought your friend was actually one of our enemies. We do not wish him any more harm, we would only like an explanation of what is happening."

[roll0]

Quxelopqr
2008-03-31, 01:33 PM
Garret allows the group to convince the ball of light as to their intentions, knowing that talking is something he isn't that good at anyways. He follows Duglan to the door but doesn't leave, instead sees the griffons and fires and says to Duglan, "Maybe we should be getting out of here. Now."

gareth
2008-03-31, 10:40 PM
Rex sees Garret and Duglan staring out the door and goes to look. He gasps in shock, then turns to the rest of the group, holding the door open so they can all see out.
Gate Pass is burning. I know you all want answers, but let's not stay here long.

bchilders
2008-04-01, 11:19 PM
Duglan

Duglan stares blankly at the swooping griffons, caught completely off gaurd. After he finally composes himself, he grunts something that can be taken as agreement that the group needs to find a way out of the city quick.

druid_grif
2008-04-01, 11:39 PM
Duglan sees the Rivereye scramble up side of the Depository and on to the balcony of the third story. Torrent steps up even with Van, proudly displaying her blue metal armor and holy symbol. "Our actions here are honorable and true. We came seeking a package from the gnome who just ran from us. It is of vital importance to the resistance of the Ragesian empire and therefore the Shahalesti kingdom for us to retrieve the package."

The Archon seems to deliberate with itself for a few seconds," Maybe I have been to hasty in my judgement of your intentions. It seems my masters have some explaining to do for themselves. You will find what you seek on the fourth floor of this building. Tell your friend that I truly am sorry." With that, the ball of light bows to Torrent and Van, flying onto the third floor and out of sight.

Methates
2008-04-02, 01:04 PM
Van Veranti

Van breathes a sigh of relief as the Archon flies away.

"That could have gone badly..." he says simply as he goes to retrieve the item that they came for, hurrying back down right away.

"So...shall we get out of here then?"

gareth
2008-04-02, 01:24 PM
Rex picks up his crossbow and conceals it under his robe.
Yes, let's go.

Silverkiss
2008-04-02, 02:48 PM
Claire Bloodangel

Waving her head in dissapointment, Claire mutters to herself:

"Humpf. Celestials..."

Before continuing on what she thought about Celestials, Van comes back from the fourth floor, and Claire is quick to say:

"Have you found what we needed to get, Van ? Good, let's get out of this city then, we have no time to waste !"

Claire heads to the stairs, ready to leave the tower and the burning city.

druid_grif
2008-04-02, 07:14 PM
As Van heads towards the stairs to the third and fourth floor, Torrent flags him to hold up for her. As they head to the third floor, she worries,"You would think, with the amount of guards on the outside of the building, that there would be patrols on the inside too. Celestial or not, something sinister is afoot." The third floor looks much the same as the first and second, and Van's elven sight does not see anything out of the ordinary.

They reach the fourth floor and start to search around the lockers. Van sees several human size lumps on the ground and runs over. Two guards and a gnome are tied up, gagged, and unconscious. At the same time as Van yells for Torrent, Torrent yells for Van. Van decides to stay and help the gnome and guards. He cuts the restraints and loosens the gag. Torrent runs over a minute later and explains,"I found a dead half-orc guard over there. His face is burnt to a crisp." Her face is the color of ash. She goes to the gnome to check his wounds, seeing none of consequence, she moves to the guards. After pulling out a healing salve and applying it to one of the guards head, the guard, an almost human looking half-orc, starts waking groggily. She comes back over to the gnome, lays a hand on his chest, and fills her mind with the sound of waves hitting rocky beach. A white and blue fire light emanates from her hands and seems to enter the gnomes chest. He awakes with a start, coming to his senses quickly. Van helps the guard and the gnome up, realizing it is the same ugly looking gnome as before. As he looks closer though, he sees minor details that weren't quite right about the other gnome, especially his height. The real Rivereye thanks them profusely for their rescue. "Again, thanks again for the help. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I tricked my captors into thinking there is a horrible trap on the case. The bad news is the case I was supposed to give to you has been stolen. There is some more good news, though. I overheard my captors, three elves and a Lantern Archon talking in Shahalesti. Now, I couldn't understand the elves as I don't know Shahelesti, but even though the Archon was speaking Elvish, I could understand it in my mind. That is a strange and useful power. Anyway, the Archon said something about meeting with someone at Gabal's school. I don't know Gatepass very well, but isn't that a wizard's academy in town?"

With the care provided by Torrent, the second guard, an overweight dwarf is brought to consciousness and they all head back down to the second floor. They meet up with the rest of the party, explain what they saw and the gnome said and head to the exit. In the gatehouse, the guards ask everyone questions but are cordial for finding their fellow guards. Torrent asks one of them about the status of the battle, and a half-orc says,"A guard troop went by the depository just ten minutes ago. One of 'dem said that the first gate is holding and the only big problems is the fires in the first section, Ragesio. I finds it funny that Ragesian is burning the part of the city primarily owned by their countrymen."

Torrent thanks the guard and then gathers the group into a huddle. "It looks like the city might hold out the night, so I would suggest we follow up with this lead at Gabal's school. Rex, did you happen to go to that school?"

Rex, did you go to the school or not? It isn't quite clear to me from your profile.

WotBS Player Characters:

gareth
2008-04-02, 11:55 PM
Rex nods.
Yes. I'm actually still a student there, I'm just on temporary adventuring leave. I should be able to get you into the Castle easily enough. But this city is being invaded. Shouldn't we just get out now?

Quxelopqr
2008-04-03, 11:11 AM
Garret follows the group towards the real gnome, although it takes him a moment to pull away from the view of outside. "I don't know group. Does anyone think we could actually get to the school without fighting that army? Remember that flying thing too, they probably have more where that came from."

druid_grif
2008-04-03, 11:58 AM
"I will respect the decision of the group, but resistance leaders made it abundantly clear that the information in Rivereye's case is of vital importance to the resistance and the region as a whole. As for the Ragesian army, it looks like they are contained at the first gate and even if they broke through there, four more gates remain between them and us. According to my map, the school is in the next section of the city to the east. It is pretty much on the way."

Rivereye, who is quietly listening in, nods in agreement at Torrent's words.

Silverkiss
2008-04-03, 12:37 PM
Claire Bloodangel

"Let's go get the case already. We already took the trouble to come here looking for Rivereye, giving up on the info now would make all our actions here useless. And, as Torrent says, it's pretty much on the way anyway."

gareth
2008-04-03, 01:25 PM
Rex thinks for a moment, then nods.
If the army really is contained it should be fine. I'll come along and let you into the Castle. But I'm not hanging around for a pitched battle. Any serious military force and we have to run.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-03, 03:08 PM
Garret agrees with Rex on that, adding "If the town has that much resistance then we should have the time to make it there."

Methates
2008-04-04, 08:10 AM
Van Veranti

"The main force of the army may be contained, but certain scouting parties might be able to find a way to penetrate deep into the city. Let's get this document and leave here as soon as possible. The longer we wait the more we risk."

Van keeps his longbow drawn and ready to use while he ponders what just happened in the depository.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Oy I suck x.x

bchilders
2008-04-04, 10:13 PM
Duglan

Duglan takes a while to come out of his revery and he says, "Let's head out then. I'm ready to put this city behind me and if we need this information, then we need this information." Magnum says in his single-minded approach to most situations.

druid_grif
2008-04-04, 11:08 PM
With the reluctant agreement reached, the group heads off towards Gabal's school of the Arcane. As you go through the gate into the next section of the city, the guards look at you funny but do not harrass you. They seem to be preoccupied with something else, and as you pass by, you hear the word "bells" uttered. You then realize that the temple bells have stopped ringing.

As you come within sight of the school, you see that one tower has been recently damaged. You head towards the gate. As you get close, a blue-robed figure steps out of the darkness. "This is a dark night to travel, especially to here. I welcome your return, Rex, and I hope you haven't caused any more trouble I have to get you out of." The middle aged man smiles warmly at the joke with his past student. To the rest of the group, he says," You are welcome into the school for whatever purpose, if only to get out of the cold. I am Diogenes, teacher at this school. Although, it seems I am doing gatekeeper duty, for I think trouble is coming."

Diogenes leads you through the gate and the front area of the castle. A mote surrounds the castle, and you see the corpse of a griffon in the water below. A student is pulling up a corpse of a human, telling Diogenes," I can use this for experimentation." Diogenes shoos the young mage away and you enter the castle. He leads you into an antechamber with a large table with equally large tomes on arcane matters on it. He invites you to sit, and takes a seat himself. "So, what brings you here?"

Rex, Diogenes is an enchanter like you. He saw your aptitude and helped you along, although you never acknowledged it.

gareth
2008-04-04, 11:55 PM
Rex gestures casually to the rest of the party.
These guys are in the Resistance. They're helping me fight the orc empire. There's some more guys at Lyceum who want to help me too, but I'm having trouble getting out of the city.
He points to Torrent.
The cleric wants me to pick up some documents before I leave, but they got stolen. Some genius in the elf empire hired a Lantern Archon as a spy. The only lead I have is that it was talking about meeting somone here, at the school. You seen any elves or gnomes or... well, talking balls of light acting funny around here?
Sense Motive to detect any bluffs:[roll0]

druid_grif
2008-04-05, 10:53 AM
Diogenes keeps a jovial smile as Rex introduces the group. He nods approvingly and wants to say something when the Lyceum is brought up but he remains silent. As you discuss the theft of the case, Diogenes's smile turns into concern, and then anger.

When Rex finishes, Diogenes says, "I knew that two faced bitch was up to something. You may remember Shealis Amlauril, an advanced student of Gabal's. I would bet you a gold piece she is a spy for the Shahalesti." Rex remembers hearing rumors of Gabal's favoritism for Shealis, and Diogenes' jealousy. "Whatever you plan to do to get information from her, count me in. We probably need to do it soon though. An elf came to visit her a while ago, and it looks like she is packing up to leave.

"I would normally suggest we take this to Gabal, but he has disappeared since the attack on the city started. I'm sure the townspeople will be happy about that." Diogenes thinks a bit and an idea comes to him," I have a thought. As a last gesture, I could challenge her to a spell dual. While we dual, a few of you could get into the room and look around. I could break the Spelldual spell and we could overwhelm her. Or, we can just bust down her door and take her by force. Any other ideas?

Rex, you feel as though Diogenes does not have a deceptive bone in him.

WotBS Player Characters:

bchilders
2008-04-05, 12:13 PM
Duglan

"I'm always for bustin' down doors, but I've been told my ways lack....um...finesse," Duglan says, acknowledging his lack in the ways of subtlety.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-05, 02:26 PM
"I'm with Duglan, let's do this the fastest way possible and get out." Garret keeps his weapons away for the time being, he'll get them out again if danger arises.

gareth
2008-04-05, 02:49 PM
Rex winces.
Shealis is a high-level wizard. Well, higher than me, anyway. Try to take her by force and she'll blow your heads off. A spell duel's the way to go. But just use it as a distraction while we search her room. We shouldn't actually attack her until we know she's a spy.

Silverkiss
2008-04-05, 02:54 PM
Claire Bloodangel

"Hmm, I agree with Rex. He is saying she is a stronger wizard than him, so she is something. And we don't even know if she really is an spy. Yea, the best course of action is indeed the distraction... if your willing to help us, of course." - Claire turns to Diogenes while saying the last part, and bows to him, thanking for the help.

Methates
2008-04-05, 04:21 PM
Van Veranti

"Of course, a wizard's chambers undoubtedly have all manner of defense. And if she is working with the Shahalesti, we may find some of them there as well. Let's try the subtle approach first. And if that goes sour, perhaps we can get around to busting some heads."

gareth
2008-04-05, 06:19 PM
Rex nods in agreement.
There could be all kinds of traps in her chambers. I'll need Van to get in there safely. Garret should come along with Van and me too, to help with the search. Everyone else should stick around to watch the spell duel. If she is a spy, she could break the Spellduel spell herself and go after Diogenes for real. In that case he'll need backup.

druid_grif
2008-04-05, 09:26 PM
Torrent weighs in," How about I go instead of Garret just so we have a Godsman with each group?"

Diogenes' smile is back on his face, but you see an anticipatory look on his face also. "Let me show you where to hide in the dual arena. But first," he reaches into his robes and pulls out a scroll. He lays it on the desk and starts reading the scroll. Holding his hand over his right thumb, he finishes the spell. A bright white light moves through the thumb, into his hand. Diogenes turns his palm up and the light comes out of his hand and forms a replica of his thumb. It falls into his hand and he hands it to Rex. "You'll need this and my password which is Ssssleshno Sssloi. It's Draconic for "don't eat me". He chuckles.

He leads the group out of the meeting room and down a long hall with multiple doors leading off to both sides. Double doors start on the right and he goes to the third set of them. He opens the door, and flips his hand. Lights come up but not too bright. The room is large and slightly oval shaped. On one long end are some bleachers. Diogenes indicates to hide behind them and keep an eye out. "I will try to wear out some of her more powerful spells. If you need to attack her, you may not want to come all in a group for she is a skilled evoker and won't hesitate to fireball all of you. You will feel a pressure release if the Dual spell is cancelled. That will be your cue." He leaves Duglan, Claire, and Garret in the room and goes out an opposite set of double doors with the rest of the group.

You walk down another hall and through a large common area. You pass no one and see no one in the chairs or by the fire. This unnerves Rex as even when school is not in session, there are always people here at all times of the night arguing, roughhousing, or what have you. Diogenes leads you into the student dorms and at a door, stops. He presses his thumb to the middle of the door and an arcane symbol lights up, he repeats the password and the door opens. The room is a mess as it looks like it was hastily packed up and the students have gone. He closes the door, presses his thumb against the inside of the door and says something else. The wood become transparent and you can see into the hall. "When I pass by with Shealis, wait a bit and then do your business. Her room is the third door farther down on the right. Good luck and come meet us at the dual arena when you finish. We may need your help." He leaves and walks down the hall.

A few minutes later, he walks past with an attractive elf mage in step with him. Her hair is silver and she wears silver gloves that go up past her elbow. She walks with confidence but seriousness.

gareth
2008-04-05, 10:08 PM
Rex waits silently for a few minutes, then leads Torrent and Van out of the room and down to Shealis' room. He pauses in front of the door.
Van, before I open this can you check it for traps?

Quxelopqr
2008-04-06, 08:24 PM
Garret agrees with Torrent and heads down to the spellduel area with the others.

Methates
2008-04-06, 10:03 PM
Van Veranti

"Of course...step back a bit though...and somebody should keep on watch in case somebody comes by, though I notice it is quite quiet here. Is it often this empty Rex?"

Rolling a disable device as well just in case...

[roll0]
[roll1]

druid_grif
2008-04-06, 11:13 PM
Van checks the door but since it does not have a normal lock, he has a hard time ascertaining if it is trapped. As he puts his head very close to the door, he does hear a male voice arguing in Shahalesti. You cannot hear the other party or what is being said.

gareth
2008-04-06, 11:50 PM
Rex looks, around, worried.
No, it's usually much more crowded. I'll warn you if anyone's coming.
Spot Check [roll0]
Listen Check [roll1]

Methates
2008-04-07, 08:40 AM
Van Veranti

"Someone is in there," Van says as he drops his voice down to a whisper, "Perhaps we should think about a different approach? What if we just knocked and...'disabled' whomever came to answer the door? Or maybe I could try to pass myself off as a member of their group?"

Van strains his ears to understand the conversation that is taking place inside.

[roll0]

gareth
2008-04-07, 02:19 PM
Rex thinks for a moment.
You'll have a hard time pretending to be one of them, since we know so little about them. I'll open the door, then I'll charm one of them. You talk to him, get whatever information you can while I charm the other. We should only attack them if the charms don't work.
Rex takes the fake thumb and presses it against the center of the door.
Ssssleshno Sssloi.

If the door opens I cast Charm Person, DC 17, on the closest humanoid inside. If the door doesn't open I don't do anything.
Initiative roll if necessary: [roll0]

bchilders
2008-04-07, 08:39 PM
Duglan

Duglan heads to the spell dual area, partially glad to not be included in the group sneaking into the wizard's room. While being able to stay more quite that most dwarves he has encountered he has never acquired an enjoyment out of sneaking around. He anticipates the possibility of knocking a wizards skull though, even if if is a lady.

druid_grif
2008-04-08, 09:05 AM
The only thing Van can make out is "You good for nothing..." which is much louder than the rest of the argument. As Rex says the password, the door opens and you see an elf by himself looking out an empty window. Rex waves his hands in front of him while chanting. Nothing spectacular happens.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Everyone here do something for surprise round and roll init. Do another action if init is above 15.

Im not at home with my notes. grrr...

Quxelopqr
2008-04-08, 09:09 AM
(OOC: you mean Van, right? Garret's supposed to be going to the spellduel area)

Garret will stick to the side of the room, resting on the wall for now.

gareth
2008-04-08, 02:05 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) gestures to the others to stay back.
Don't attack, I'll give it another try.
He resumes chanting.
Casting Charm Person again on the elf. Initiative: [roll0]Second action allowed.

When the spell is complete Rex moves away from the door and further down the hall, leaving Torrent and Van closer to the room.

druid_grif
2008-04-08, 11:09 PM
The elf turns around, clearly startled when he sees Rex begin chanting again.

[roll0]

The elf starts to yell an Elven battlecry, reaching into his cloak, but his face changes and the battlecry is forgotten. He then walks over, bows low below Rex and begs," How may I serve you?"

Meanwhile, as Garret, Claire, and Duglan hide behind the stands in the duel arena, the door opens after several minutes Diogenes and Shealis enter walking to opposite sides of the spellcircle. "I notice you are not packing. This is a dangerous time for us. I would not want harm to come to you if the Inquisitors are let into the city."

"Oh, thanks for your concern. But do not concern yourself with me, I have a few tricks up my sleeve." Diogenes bows low to Shealis and then takes out a scroll from the sleave of his blue robe.

"Let's see some of those tricks then." Shealis bows to Diogenes and they both begin chanting the same thing synchronously. Diogenes lets go of the scroll and it floats into the center of the circle. Diogenes and Shealis continue to chant in unison and add arm gestures directly mirroring each other. The air is sucked out of the room towards the center of the spell circle as the scroll disappears.

gareth
2008-04-08, 11:59 PM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) grins as he sees the spell work on the elf. He moves back into the room and and addresses him in perfect Elven.
Hello, friend. This is Van, a good friend of mind. He has some questions for you. Please answer them as best you can.
Rex switches back to common.
Van, get whatever information you can out of him, you're the best diplomat. Torrent, help me search this place.
Rex starts searching the room.
Spot [roll0]
Search (for anything incriminating or official-looking) [roll1]
Knowledge (Arcana) "Is there anything in this room that would be unusual for a wizard of Shealis' level and specialisation?" [roll2]

druid_grif
2008-04-09, 12:15 PM
A cursory look around the room finds a one person bed with fine sheets on it. You find several red robes and other clothing in a closet. On a desk, you find two vials of silver viscous liquid. Her spellbook is laid open to a second level spell you can't recognize. You flip through it and near the back, you notice some non-magical ink and writing. You see a map of a part of Gate pass you recognize as the elvish quarter. All Gate Pass residents know that the elvish quarter is completely walled off and the only entrances are secret ones that usually only elves can find. This shows an entrance and the layout of an upstairs apartment.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Diogenes and Shealis stare at each other for what appears an age before Shealis puts her hands together in front of her and starts chanting. As she chants, her hands glow reddish orange and she separates her hands and a ball of fire forms in mid air. At the same time, Diogenes waves is hands in front of him and blows an obscuring fog out of his mouth concealing himself. Shealis points where Diogenes was and the sphere enters the fog, making it turn bright orange.

gareth
2008-04-09, 02:21 PM
Rex lifts up one of the vials and examines the liquid.
Knowledge: Arcana "What's this liquid, and what is it usually used for?" [roll0]

bchilders
2008-04-09, 02:47 PM
Duglan

Duglan watches the opening of the duel intently waiting for the opportunity to get in on the action.

Methates
2008-04-09, 05:26 PM
Van Veranti

Van smiles and speaks to the elf in their native tongue.

"Good evening my good man, and how are you tonight? We are friends of Shealis, but first I would ask who you are and how do you know Shealis? Also, we are looking for a specific document...oh, and who were you talking to just now?"

Van tries to give a comforting grin as he looks about the room for the source of the conversation.

Just making a slew of rolls in case any or all are needed. =)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

gareth
2008-04-10, 03:18 AM
Rex puts the liquid down and turns to the spellbook. He pulls out a pen and sheet of paper and copies the map onto it. He hands the paper to Van.
Ask him about this too.
He turns back to the spellbook and tries to decipher the second-level spell.
Spellcraft check to identify the spell and its effects (DC 22): [roll0]

druid_grif
2008-04-10, 12:13 PM
From within the mist, Diogenes starts chanting again as Shealis moves the sphere around in the mist. This occurs for several rounds, then a giant beetle comes running out of the mist, running towards Shealis. Shealis points at the beetle and the sphere comes out of the mist, hitting the beetles shell. The beetle stops and spits acid towards Shealis. Shealis says a few arcane words while moving her hands, but she has to dodge the acid, possibly ruining the spell.

Diogenes shows up at the edge of the mist, waving his arms while laughing and then pointing at Shealis.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5] [roll6] [roll7]
[roll8]

WotBS Player Characters:

druid_grif
2008-04-10, 12:44 PM
The elf responds to Van,"Hello fellow countryman. My name is Larion Prevarieth. Shealis is my boss on this mission. I was talking to that damn ball of light. Why did we even bring it anyway? This is a map of our hideout."

Rex figures out that the liquid is Silversheen. This looks to be Shealis's main spellbook but the spell that the book was open too is fly, you think.
__________________________________________________ _________________

The Beetle is hit by the Flaming Sphere but interrupts the spell cast by Shealis burning through her robes in spots. Diogenes's spell does not seem to do anything to Shealis.

gareth
2008-04-11, 03:52 AM
Rex decides that Larion is cooperating and he can speak to the elf directly. He puts the spellbook and vials back where they were and turns to speak to Larion.
I have just a few more questions, if you'll bear with me. First and most importantly, are you expecting the ball of light to come back, and if so, when? Second, there were some documents stolen from a gatehouse today and we're trying to track them down. There was a "ball of light" - a Lantern Archon - hanging around there too. I'm sure it's the same one. Do you have any idea where the documents are? And thirdly, what exactly is your mission?

druid_grif
2008-04-12, 09:18 AM
"I sure hope not. He went off to find our masters in Shahalesti, so he won't be back. They will have a few words for him when he gets there. The documents should be at the the safehouse by now," Larion nods towards the map. "Our mission is to insure the safety of the Shahalesti Empire."
__________________________________________________ _______________

Anger swells up to Shealis' face and she bellows,"Enough hiding in that mist." She chants, putting both hands out straight in front of her, palms facing the mist. A ball of molten fire forms in front of her and flies over to the mist.

Booom! The mist is instantly evaporated and as the fireball dissipates, Diogenes is standing there laughing, not hurt in the least. "Predictable..." Diogenes points a finger at Shealis, says a few arcane words and a green arrow shoots from his finger straight towards the young elf mage. At the same time, the beetle spits acid at the woman.

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

WotBS Player Characters:

druid_grif
2008-04-12, 10:02 AM
Shealis screams in defiance as the arrow and the acid spray hit her. Then her eyes roll to the back of her head and she faints. Diogenes stands there in shock, then releases the duel spell with a wave of his hand. The air seems to rush out of the center of the ring. Diogenes walks over to the elf maiden, staring down at the unconscious body.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-12, 10:46 AM
Garret prepares himself to charge the woman, quietly drawing his greatsword. She's being tricky, I can feel it.

gareth
2008-04-12, 02:23 PM
Rex beckons Torrent and Van over and speaks softly to them.
I think we're done here. Unless there's anything else you want to ask the elf, or anything you want him to do. The spell will wear off in an hour, so he can't help us get into the safe house. He'd attack us before we got there. Van, I think you should tell him to hand all his weapons over and get as far away from us as possible.

bchilders
2008-04-12, 05:37 PM
Duglan

Seeing his companion readying to join in, he unstraps his axes and prepares for any deception the elf has in store.

Silverkiss
2008-04-12, 06:40 PM
Claire

Claire also readies her weapon, but is reluctant to go out on the open now, still staying hidden in case her comrades need help fighting the elf, so she will still have the element of surprise on her side.

Methates
2008-04-12, 07:22 PM
Van Veranti

Van nods to Rex then speaks again to the elf.

"You have been a great help, Larion. I must ask, if one of your enemies were to attack your safehouse, what defenses do you have? Are there weaknesses there that could be exploited...if there are we might be able to, 'fix' them, when we stop by...but you should make your way back to Shahalesti as quickly as possible. It is far too dangerous here. But don't worry, we'll still have Shahalesti's best interests at heart" Van finishes giving Larion a reassuring pat on the shoulder, hoping at some level the elf truly believes Van.

druid_grif
2008-04-14, 08:11 AM
Coming out of his rivalry, Diogenes asks Garret,"Can I borrow that rope for a bit." He takes the rope and ties Shealis's hands tightly behind her. He also takes a large handkerchief and bounds her mouth. She begins to wake up, moaning slightly. "Let's go meet up with the others. I think I know what to do with her." He pulls the elf to her feet pushes her towards the door. They quickly make their way to the elf's room, finding the rest of the party finishing up searching and questioning the elf. "Okay, let's rid these two of their possessions and I have a place where they will be 'safe'." They then take the two elves to a room right next to Gabal's office. Rex has never seen anyone enter or exit this room. Diogenes puts his thumb on the door, says something in a language none can understand, and makes a traces a mark on the door with his thumb. The door opens and you see several chairs in the room. Duglan and Van guard the door as the others untie the elf. She screams and tries to cast a spell but it doesn't go off. Rex then tries to reach into his being to find the lit candle of arcane energy but is blocked from doing so. It sends a shiver down his spine. Diogenes gives the frail elf woman a final push, sending her sprawling to the ground. They leave the room and Diogenes performs another ritual on the door. "Let's assume you find what you are looking for, what is your plan for getting out of the city?"

gareth
2008-04-14, 07:02 PM
Rex forces his attention back to Diogenes, trying to ignore the disturbing block on his magic.
We were going to pretend to be a funeral party, going outside to bury a body. But I'm not sure we have time for that now. If the guards try to keep us inside a city at war, they deserve anything we can throw at them.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-15, 11:21 AM
Now you're talking. Garret replaces his weapon and nods at Rex's suggestion.

druid_grif
2008-04-15, 03:19 PM
"From what I have heard, there are only a few people that can get through the gates right now. One would be diplomatic license if you are a part of the Ragesian government. Obviously, guards on patrol duty can get through, also. I have no pull with the government or any high level Justicars. How about you guys? I have a means to charm a lot of people but it is pretty expensive and I was going to only use it in an emergency." Diogenes paces in the hallway, thinking, as an initiate in green robes comes running up.

"The Ragesians have stopped attacking," the initiate exclaims. Diogenes sighs but keeps pacing.

People in the resistance will know that there are government officials in the resistance but do not know of any personally.

gareth
2008-04-16, 12:24 AM
Rex thinks for a second, then shakes his head.
I don't know anyone with that kind of influence. I think we should use your gadget on the guards if diplomacy doesn't work. I'll help as much as I can, but I've only got one charm spell left, and there's no time for me to memorise more.

bchilders
2008-04-16, 10:36 PM
Duglan

"Well, whatever we're doin'...let's get to it. I hate to put ya out of resources, but we need to be leaving," Duglan says anxious to get moving.

gareth
2008-04-18, 12:14 AM
While the others are talking Rex studies Torrent for a moment, taking note of the design of her clothing, weapons, and holy symbol.

Untrained Knowledge (Religion) check: "based on what I can see, what deity or cause does Torrent follow, and what are her possible alignments?" [roll0]

druid_grif
2008-04-18, 08:13 AM
Diogenes nods his head at each of the suggestions. "Unfortunately, the item for which I have access to belongs to the school and so I would need to be compensated for it's use. If I had to guess, it would probably use about 200-300g to replenish it. I would be happy to use it, but I would want that to be a last resort, short of attacking the guards. Also, I am going to stay here and take care of the school with the absence of Gabal. I would suggest you use your other resources here in the city before calling upon my help again." Seeing the conversation reaching an end, Torrent steers the group towards leaving, walking towards the front door.

Torrent clearly worships a god of water, probably the sea. If you had to guess, it would probably be Seaqean, goddess of the Sea, Thunder, and Earthquakes. She tends towards the chaotic side while staying away from disputes over morality. Not coming from the coast, you have not heard, read, or seen much about Seaqean, or the agenda of her worshipers.

Sorry for the slow posts. I was waiting for others to respond and then I got caught up in real life. Another post will come early tonight and this weekend should be good too.

Methates
2008-04-18, 01:36 PM
Van Veranti

"Well, I do not believe we will have to resort to that device...I just might have a, 'friend', who could lend us some assistance. He's not too far from here..." Van says as he follows Torrent to the door.

druid_grif
2008-04-18, 05:07 PM
Diogenes wishes you all well as you leave, saying,"Good luck. Don't worry about me, I'll manage if the army gets through the gate." He waves and gives a hardy wave.

By now, the city is eerily quiet. Not only is it in the heart of night, but the citizens have holed up inside for safety. The bells are not ringing anymore; the faint sounds of battle, fire, or mayhem are no longer audible. As you walk down the road towards the Emelk Way, you hear the flap of wings above you. As you look up, you see an obviously wounded wyvern with a rider trying to control the erratic movements of the bat-like creature. The bat suddenly dives into the buildings about a block away.

bchilders
2008-04-18, 10:12 PM
Duglan

"Think we should check it out?" Duglan says as he shrugs towards the wounded wyvern.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-18, 11:41 PM
Garret shrugs. "Dunno, our priority is to get out of here alive, and fighting one of those beasts, even a wounded one, might be tough."

gareth
2008-04-19, 02:54 AM
Rex (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=44952) looks interested.
I'd like to talk to the rider, we might get some information. Whoever's best at sneaking around, go see how badly hurt that thing is and report back.

bchilders
2008-04-19, 11:19 AM
Duglan

"I've never been great at sneakin around, but if no one else wants I'll go check things out," Duglan says and waits for a response.

Silverkiss
2008-04-19, 03:13 PM
Claire

Claire, who was silent all the way from the school of magic, nods to Garret when he says that the wyvern could mean trouble.

"I also think that this creature could prove to be dangerous to us; however if you want to go check on it, do as you wish. I am not a very sneaky person, though, and my armor doesn't help at that, so I will have to abstain from going."

OCC: Sorry for not posting for so long, but I really had nothing to say back there...

Methates
2008-04-19, 05:30 PM
Van Veranti

Van looks around to see if anyone else will volunteer. Then, he raises his hand.

"I'll go. But you all should stay nearby in case I get into trouble...but not too close..." he says with a chuckle as he starts to make his way to the Wyvern.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

bchilders
2008-04-19, 06:12 PM
Duglan

Duglan stays close, always keeping Van within sight. He holds both of his axes at ready in case they are needed.

druid_grif
2008-04-19, 08:24 PM
Van walks ahead of the rest of the party towards where he thinks the wyvern "landed". He turns down a back street that has had very little foot traffic. In the darkness about 100 feet ahead, you see a rope swinging in the breeze coming from a rooftop of a second story tenement. As you get closer, you do not see any movement except for the swaying rope and the night is very quiet. As you come upon the rope, you see two obvious heavy booted sets of footprints leading off down the road away from where you came.

The others follow at a distance until Van goes down the back alley. Garret and Duglan keep Van just in their vision while the humans cannot see very far into the dark alley. When Van stops, Garret and Duglan lead the others into an alcove between two buildings, watching for a sign from Van.

It's all good Silverkiss. I have felt that way in some of my campaigns and it is strange that Diogenes did so well against Shealis. I was expecting you guys to get involved in the next round but my rolls for Shealis were amazingly awful. I think you all know this but wyverns are rode by the Ragesian army, Griffins are rode by the Gatepass army.

gareth
2008-04-19, 09:35 PM
Rex follows the others into the alcove and draws his crossbow.

Methates
2008-04-21, 12:12 PM
Van Veranti

Van keeps his bow drawn and looks back to the group behind him. Wishing they had had time to develop hand signals, Van points to the group and then swings his arm forward, towards the boot tracks. Then he holds a hand to his lips and continues sneaking.

New rolls...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

druid_grif
2008-04-21, 02:02 PM
Van follows the bootprints for about half a block before they seem to stop, shuffle around and then disappear. A seven foot brick wall is on one side of the tracks so Van lifts himself to peer over into a shared courtyard. There is no movement in the courtyard, but one door is slightly ajar. As Van begins to lower himself back to the ground, his keen elvish hearing picks up the slight whisper of a child whimpering coming from inside the door.

The rest of the group follows Van past the hanging rope and when he stops, the group finds another dark area to hide in.

gareth
2008-04-22, 04:35 AM
Rex speaks quietly to the others:
Did anyone get the loot from those elves back at the school?

Methates
2008-04-22, 08:37 AM
Van Veranti

Van attempts to locate an easier means of entering the courtyard without attempting to climb over the wall, after which he will continue to sneak towards the sound.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

If there is no other way to get into the courtyard, Van will instead motion the group to come and have them help get him over the wall.

druid_grif
2008-04-22, 10:09 PM
Torrent answers, "I picked up everything that looked of value except the spellbooks, which I think you have. We can sell this stuff to get fresh mounts on the way to Seaquen." You notice that Van is signaling that there is something over the wall. He indicates that he has to go around the corner where the wall turns toward the buildings. The group heads up the street and hides in an alley across the street from the courtyard.

Van walks around the corner and finds the rickety wooden grate. Amazingly, it has well oiled hinges and does not get stuck in the snow as Van tests opening it. As he walks into the communal courtyard, his keen senses pick up again on the muffled whining. He then heres a gruff low "shhhh..." The door is not ajar enough to see anything inside the dark building.

gareth
2008-04-23, 02:21 AM
Rex holds up the two spellbooks.
Right, right. Memory's the first thing to go...
He puts the books away and follows the others into alley.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-23, 01:31 PM
Garret follows along silently, trying to watch if the elf is sneaking off without them.

Methates
2008-04-23, 07:19 PM
Van Veranti

Holding still for a moment, Van takes in a breath and continues sneaking towards the open doorway, looking first for a window to peek in, and if none is found he'll try to take a quick peak through the door. He keeps his bow ready to fire.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

bchilders
2008-04-23, 09:22 PM
Duglan

Duglan starting to get a little anxious, began riciting battle songs in his head to keep himself from running through the door and ruining their surprise. But soon after, he begins he realizes that battle songs are the last thing he needs to calm him down, so he takes a few deep breaths and watches as Van creeps towards the door.

druid_grif
2008-04-23, 10:25 PM
Van get tries to see in the barely open door just to realized that the door opens in such a way as to see a wall. You hear low guttaral whispering in what you think is Ragesian Orc. You cannot make out what is being said. They do sound like they are in the room the door opens into.

As Van goes through the gate, the rest of the group quietly comes up to the gate to keep an eye on Van.

Methates
2008-04-25, 12:37 AM
Van Veranti

Van searches high and low for any other ways into the room and then sneaks back to the group.

"As best as I can tell," he whispers, "it sounds like there are two Ragesians holding a child hostage in that room there. It's fortuitous that we decided to follow them here, but I'm not sure what the most ideal method would be to save the child. Does anyone have any suggestions?" Van looks around hopefully, then back across the courtyard.

druid_grif
2008-04-25, 08:58 AM
There is a window on the second floor but no obvious way to get to it. You would assume there is a front door, but there may be more eyes there too. No windows because this is a pretty cold place most of the time, and windows let in cold.

Quxelopqr
2008-04-25, 02:30 PM
"If there's only two, we outnumber them pretty well. Do you think we could just bust in and beat them?"

bchilders
2008-04-25, 03:22 PM
"Now thats my kind a thinkin'. I can be first in and take the brunt of any retaliation...doesn't feel like a good day of action yet if ah haven't shed a drop of blood."

gareth
2008-04-25, 03:29 PM
Rex thinks for a moment.
I can only charm one of them, and we'd have to delay the attack for it to work. It'd be safer just to fight.
He draws his crossbow.

Methates
2008-04-25, 05:31 PM
Van Veranti

"My primary concern is for the child...it would be easy enough to defeat them but we have to take extra measures to ensure that the child is unharmed."