PDA

View Full Version : Procrastinating

Setra
2008-03-10, 04:28 AM
<_< Yeah.. I am literally sitting here with the book in my lap and am typing a post about how I'm doing so.

I have about two hours to study, and do three days worth of homework.

And yet I STILL can't bring myself to do it.. I hate it so much. -.- Partially because it's 'not a class I signed up for' if you know what I mean.

Farmer42
2008-03-10, 04:30 AM
I know how you feel. I need to review the book of Acts and write a few paragraphs on it for class at 9:15.

Setra
2008-03-10, 06:34 AM
Well I did the homework, snapped at my mother, but don't have time to study.

I already read the chapters anyways though, so whatever. Homework pisses me off.

My mother pisses me off too, she yelled at me so I told her to shut up -.- In such a damned bad mood.

Phase
2008-03-10, 06:55 AM
Procrastination is the scourge of the earth, terrible beyond belief.

However, it is still something that cannot be escaped, like... um... air...

Felixaar
2008-03-10, 07:08 AM
I know how you feel. I need to review the book of Acts and write a few paragraphs on it for class at 9:15.

The disciples deal with Jesus departure from earth. First Christian martyr killed by Saul before Saul is blinded, healed, converted, and named Paul. One of the disciples is given a vision that proclaims Christianity is not just for Jews, but Gentiles as well. Holy Spirit light's people hair on fire to kick off an awesome crucifixion after-party.

Good times. No Blasphemy intended.

On a non board rule breaking subject, yeah, procrastination sucks. But as I was discussing with DR, some of us are anti procrastinators, in that we cant rest until we know everything is done, including sleeping in our work clothes to be ready the next morning. After much thought (like, the time it took me to write this paragraph), I cant work out which is worse.

Pyro
2008-03-10, 07:27 AM
As corny as it sounds, the hardest part is getting started. Usually if you can force yourself to pick up the book and study, you stay with it until you're done.

Well thats how it is with me anyway.

Groundhog
2008-03-10, 07:34 AM
I know that feeling. For instance, I spent all of last night watching a stupid movie instead of doing my work.

Serpentine
2008-03-10, 07:35 AM
I know how you feel. I need to review the book of Acts and write a few paragraphs on it for class at 9:15.Out of curiosity, religious school? If not, what class has you studying the Bible?

On studying, aside from getting into it, I think it helps to give yourself rewards as well. "I'll write this much, and then I'll play this game for this long."

edit: Actually, if we're on the subject of studying...
"'The sexuality of the Roman male (in perfect agreement with his political ethics) was that of an aggressive dominator.' (Cantarella)
Does your reading of sexual relations in Rome bear out this assertion?"
Any Roman history experts around? I'm probably going to be going with yes, he is sexually dominating, but not necessarily aggressive, with exceptions.

Farmer42
2008-03-10, 07:39 AM
Church History major in college. Maybe, possibly seminarian, but more than anything I just want to open my own bar/microbrew. You know what they say, the greatest theologian you'll meet is the man you pay to pour your stout.

Edit: WHat periods in Rome are we talking here? Republican, Imperial? What decades, and what areas? That determines what source material you use. When in doubt, check the Oxford Classical Dictionary.

Serpentine
2008-03-10, 07:46 AM
Huh. That sounds interesting.
Good point. Lets see... In todays lecture it covered Republic, Empire and even into Byzantine, but I'll check the book... Ah yes, ~100BC-~AD100. Huh, not as broad as I thought, really, only 200 years.

Farmer42
2008-03-10, 07:48 AM
Not an expert, by the Satyricon and Tacitus are relevant for the later section of the period (~50-70 CE) if you're looking for primary source material.

Flickerdart
2008-03-10, 07:49 AM
You and your silly topics.

I'm on my Spring Break now, but I have a whole slew of things due on the week back. Two programming assignments, an art, an essay on social Darwinism, and probably something else that escapes me at the moment.

But who cares? BRAWL IS OUT!

Serpentine
2008-03-10, 07:55 AM
Fancy that, Satyricon is on the list of books to read. I'll also be dipping into the texts from my Greek and Roman Erotic Poetry class. Thanks, anyway.

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-10, 08:02 AM
I win the procrastinator prize. Despite the fact that I've been on spring break, I have a paper that I need to correct by 10:00 this morning that I've just barely started on.

Trog
2008-03-10, 08:07 AM
Trog was going to start a procrastinating thread like this one but... you know.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-10, 08:50 AM
...I still need to finish a paper that was due Thursday. >.>

†Seer†
2008-03-10, 05:47 PM
I'm finishing a project that is due today at midnight and I started yesterday... have known about it for 3 weeks >.<

It's gone pretty smoothly, I'm one of those people where it's hard to start but once I do I just keep going from there :)

...the fact that I'm posting here while working on my project says a lot fo my study ethics, huh?

Hazkali
2008-03-10, 06:01 PM
I cannot procrastinate. Not because I'm hyper-efficient-always-motivated-mythical-student-from-space, but because if I procrastinate any more I will fail. Well, exaggerating a bit, but not much. This year is worth 22% of my final degree and I will be annoyed if I get less than a 2:1 because it's only getting harder from here.

†Seer†
2008-03-10, 06:05 PM
I hear ya there Hazkali! Next qtr I start with my classes for my major so I can't slack. This qtr is just my minor stuff.

SurlySeraph
2008-03-10, 06:40 PM
I procrastinate way too much. Right now, I have a 5-page religion paper to write for tomorrow. Fortunately, my outline is 2.5 pages long single-spaced. It's second semester senior year, so I'm having trouble finding motivation to keep doing... well... anything. Nothing I do is likely to change whether I get into college or not, and I've been getting great grades so slacking off now probably can't hurt much.

The best way to stop procrastinating (in my experience) is to stop thinking and just work. Don't try to justify working or not working, just do it.

"'The sexuality of the Roman male (in perfect agreement with his political ethics) was that of an aggressive dominator.' (Cantarella)
Any Roman history experts around? I'm probably going to be going with yes, he is sexually dominating, but not necessarily aggressive, with exceptions.

HA! Read Catullus's poems about Lesbia. Maybe Roman males wanted to be aggressive dominators, but they weren't necessarily successful.

Kneenibble
2008-03-10, 06:52 PM
Also, Serpentine, in Book IV of the Aeneid, consider when Aeneas basically becomes Dido's boytoy. She dresses him up in purple and gold and he lies around in luxury.

Also, he happens to be procrastinating on his ultimate mission. Let it be a lesson, people! Not all of us have Mercury with a big sexy knobby virga coming around shouting "age et vade!" at us.

Vergil demonstrates the ideal model of manhood by negation - Aeneas, when he succumbs to luxury and being pursued, instead of pursuing, is chastized by the gods.

It`s sad when Dido kills herself though... Poor girl just wanted some hot Roman-to-be action.

tis_tom
2008-03-10, 07:43 PM
hahaha gods I can't believe the chances!

I'm currently procrastinating from doing my coursework on Catullus and Roman History! I have to write out several commentaries on Catullus' poetry, and the ones I've picked highlight the Roman opinions on Masculinity and Effeminacy and how Catullus swerves from the active domineering male (poem 16 for example starts with "I'll bugger you and stuff your gobs!" to put it in a non swearing way) to poem 50 where he is publicly announcing his feminine side through homosexual love for his comrade!

Man Catullus is immense. But yeah, who was looking for a Roman History expert? I'm very up in the know on the late republic/early principate!

Serpentine
2008-03-10, 07:54 PM
I'll have to read that poem to get the context (it's around here somewhere...) but homosexual love wasn't the least bit effeminate to the Romans, so long as the older man was the pursuer, penetrator etc. and the other man was a pretty youth. Just thought I'd better point that out to you. "Man-love = girly" is a more recent invention.

Felixaar
2008-03-10, 07:59 PM
I seem to remember the Greeks being more into Homoeroticism than the Romans, though I studied the greeks more so I guess thats just the way I remember it. As much as I love history though, I still cant figure out how it will help you in life to know whether or not Roman Male's were sexually dominant.

Also, no tail now, Serpo?

tis_tom
2008-03-10, 08:08 PM

It depends who you're looking at, the poets of the neoteric movement prided themselves in their ability to -act- like a passive man and in doing so BE a dominant man (sort of like metrosexuals today), Catullus 50 to his friend Licinius once he had left his house for example:

"Food gave me no pleasure
Nor could I rest my eyes in sleep
But wildly excited turned and tossed (ed: ooer!)
Over the bed, longing for daylight
That I might be with you and talk.
But after my tired aching limbs
Were lying on the couch half dead,
I made this poem for you, the charmer"

Restlessness and being unable to eat was firmly associated with how a love sick woman would act, but Catullus prided himself on this form of poetry, saying in poem 16 that in acting this way through his poems he IS more manly than the regular man, Catullus even places himself above Caesar through poem 29 in suggesting that Caesar is in a passive role but he is not to be congratulated for it as Catullus feels he himself should be.

Though the amount of his poems that bring it up does highlight that what it was to be masculine was on the forefront of Catullus' mind, implying insecurity when being defensive when trying to break from the roman 'conventional' model of masculinity that is total dominance :-\

Also ironically Catullus can only justify his passive roles as a sign of man hood in adopting an aggressive stance: hence poem 16's "I'll bugger you and stuff your gobs" when defending his 'girly' poem: poem 7, in which he goes oonn and ooonnn about the amount of kisses he wants from Lesbia.

I... I'm babbling now. How come I can write this stuff which is VAGUELY relevent to my coursework but can't write stuff that is ACTUALLY relevent?

God damn it I'm procrastinating on a thread about procrastinating!!

tis_tom
2008-03-10, 08:12 PM
p.s yeah i know about active vs passive rather than hetero vs homo, but in that poem he's playing the traditional passive role :-\

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-03-10, 08:15 PM
I try not to procrastinate but

Serpentine
2008-03-10, 08:19 PM
I thought that sort of thing might've been the case, like I said I'd have to look at the context. I'll be putting that sort of thing in this assignment - Catullus will be handy, huh? - and it's good to talk about it :smallbiggrin:

Flix, it does seem to be more Greek than Roman but it was still around in Rome. And I'm trying to figure out why my avis all look like they have fat heads, so I'm grabbing some of the Giant's and making templates.

Cubey
2008-03-10, 08:21 PM
I'll write a big and well-thought post here.

Later.

SpiderMew
2008-03-10, 08:30 PM
My biggest problems with procrastination is taking care of the things i need to help myself.
Its never about soemthing im asked to do... Infact i take care of favors right away...
But things to better myself, like finding a job where i dont have to stand up all day... these things I always find excuses for.
Bad habbit....

someonenonotyou
2008-03-10, 09:27 PM
I the worlds biggest Procrastantor i actaully should be doing my homework right now but i just right here posting

Felixaar
2008-03-10, 09:50 PM
I'm trying to figure out why my avis all look like they have fat heads, so I'm grabbing some of the Giant's and making templates.

I never noticed that O.o also, thats doing work! Out of this thread with ye.

Serpentine
2008-03-10, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but what I should be doing is exercising, showering, eating lunch, cleaning the kitchen, tidying the loungeroom, starting two assignments and doing various readings for classes.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-03-10, 10:14 PM
I should be writing a paper right now. In fact...I told myself I'd start 15 minutes ago.

...I could always do it in the morning... >.>

Felixaar
2008-03-11, 01:52 AM
Yeah, but what I should be doing is exercising, showering, eating lunch, cleaning the kitchen, tidying the loungeroom, starting two assignments and doing various readings for classes.

Fair point.

Dumbledore lives
2008-03-11, 02:01 AM
I figure anything that can be done in 15 minutes now, can either be made up on the spot, or done during roll/ everyone still coming to class. Course, I forget about things to, and on the subject of papers that's what the hours between you can't do anything from exhaustion and you don't feel any effects of staying up late. School days the latest to stay up is midnightish, but on Sunday it doesn't really matter, that's the perfect time for the paper that you should have finished a week ago. Course I'm just a year 10, so about a freshman/sophomore, so we don't get much homework.:smallbiggrin:

Setra
2008-03-11, 02:03 AM
I should be writing a paper right now. In fact...I told myself I'd start 15 minutes ago.

...I could always do it in the morning... >.>
But of course! The morning!

Actually I forced myself to do tonights homework upon returning to the house.

I did promise myself to study but I probably won't.

Either way while I hate doing homework and assignments.. I love the feeling that 'Hey I don't have to wait til the last minute, I can go play Brawl til it's time to go to sleep now!'

Actually I got lost in the damned maze in brawl so I stopped playing for now.

unstattedCommoner
2008-03-11, 08:44 AM
I the worlds biggest Procrastantor

I was going to enter that competition, but somehow I managed to miss the application date.

someonenonotyou
2008-03-11, 08:42 PM
I was going to enter that competition, but somehow I managed to miss the application date.

i had a freind do it for me and i only won because no one eles entered :smallbiggrin:

Harlequin
2008-03-11, 09:42 PM
My entire school's standardized-testing (except my grade) so I don't have to come to school until two hours later than normal. Meaning I stay up later and get up later too. It's like they're begging me to procrastinate.

Jokes
2008-03-11, 09:55 PM
I have an assignment sitting on my laptop that was due a year ago, which I finished a year ago. All I have to do is get it off my laptop and send it.

Setra
2008-03-11, 11:07 PM
Hm? What homework? Oh.. that..

Yeah I'll do it in a bit

*hour later*

Yeah I'll do it later

*hour later*

I can keep this up for a while <_< I go to bed at 7AM