PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Rods

Crazy Scot
2008-03-10, 06:50 AM
I know that the DMG (p. 236) lists several metamagic rods, but is are there any others listed elsewhere that I have missed? Or is it possible to create a metamagic rod not listed, and if so what would the pricing be?

13_CBS
2008-03-10, 06:53 AM
Complete Arcane, baby. It's got a bunch more kinds of metamagic rods.

Tyger
2008-03-10, 07:07 AM
And of course, the Magic Item Compendium has a vast selection of metamagic rods as well.

As a general rule, what I do when someone wanted to (pre-MIC) craft a metamagic rod that wasn't in the DMG, was simply compare the rod's level effect to an existing rod, and price it the same as that rod. Theory is that the power level is about the same, so the price should be as well.

Crazy Scot
2008-03-15, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked up the references that you both gave me. One more question, though, how would you rule on creating a metamagic rod (Persistent Spell). Unfortunately there are no other +6 spell level adjustment metamagic feats to compare it to, so how would you price that? If you look in the DMG, the cost difference between each level of modifier is static (+21,500 gp more than the one below it for a "normal" rod), so would extrapolating this out work for a +6, or would you make it more?

Cuddly
2008-03-15, 02:22 AM
It'd be at least an epic item, if not an artifact. Waaaaay too powerful.

nargbop
2008-03-15, 12:24 PM
Persistent Spell Metamagic Rod? Epic-only!
Nonlethal Substitution Metamagic Rod, on the other hand, allows you to interrogate prisoners.