PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5X (an alternative to 4e)

Mr. Friendly
2008-03-10, 08:55 AM
Since so many people like to do detailed roleplaying that is impossible to do in 4th edition and have characters that are a litle more believable than 4e's ridiculous overpoweredness (a fighter, *hitting* things with his sword; *snort* clearly inspired by WoW!).

So here is D&D 3.5X; a system designed for good roleplaying! Because I think we can all agree, it is the rigid codified rules of a system that allow people to roleplay, not actually roleplaying!

To play D&D 3.5X, you will at least need the Core 3.5 books, but more is helpful.

Initial Steps:

As DM choose a play style, campaign style, adventures, campaign theme and arc. Also, decide what characters your PCs will be playing, include important details like roleplaying habits and quirks. Make every possible character decision about them, from 1st through 20th. make the character you envision your player to be playing. Taking away having to think about their character will help make your PC concentrate more on issues at hand, they will thank you for it later. If you are comfortable with it, give your Player a list of acceptable feats, personalities and backstories. Really though, you should just decide everything, you are the decider after all.

Classes:

You should assign the PCs classes like Monk and Warlock, if you are running a high power game. A normal game though should use commoner, which isn't perfect since even that is too high powered. Really, you should create your own class that you should keep secret from the PCs and arbitrariily and capricious decide when someone succeeds or fails.

Skills:

If you are ok with it, allow the Players to pick skills, but ideally you should pick them.

Last: Have FUN!!!

shadeofblack
2008-03-10, 09:06 AM
I'm soooooooo over 4e... even though I don't have any of its core books yet.

Indon
2008-03-10, 09:07 AM
*enters thread*

*looks at writing on the wall of thread*

*politely leaves thread*

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-10, 09:09 AM
*Follows Indon, who is a paragon of wisdom*

kamikasei
2008-03-10, 09:09 AM
Don't you think your point was made well enough by the various other sarcastic threads you've created on exactly this point?

Uncle Festy
2008-03-10, 09:10 AM
Gah! The sarcasm! It burns! IT BURNS!

Storm Bringer
2008-03-10, 09:12 AM
apprantly not.

Snadgeros
2008-03-10, 09:13 AM
*enters thread*

*looks at writing on the wall of thread*

*politely leaves thread*

*Lathers*

*Rinses*

*Repeats*

Kioran
2008-03-10, 09:17 AM
IŽd argue with you. Except that it has proven to be pointless by other people who tried. Youre building a strawman. You are quite possibly trolling. And there was a saying about not feeding a certain species of giant somewhere.......

AKA_Bait
2008-03-10, 09:17 AM
*Notices Indon and Azerian Kelimon on their way out*

*Reads OP*

*Sighs*

*Follows Indon and Azerian Kelimon*

Morty
2008-03-10, 09:42 AM
*Looks at the OP, sighs and catches up with the rest on the way out*

SoD
2008-03-10, 09:45 AM
*holds the door open, and waits, clearly expecting more to soon be leaving*

Thinks to self: Hmm...maybe I should charge a few gp to let people leave? I could make a fortune here...nah, it's a tad evil, I'm meant to be chaotic good...

Stapler
2008-03-10, 09:52 AM
*doesn't get it*

ZekeArgo
2008-03-10, 10:28 AM
I gotta say, I really do respect your opinions and arguments Mr. Friendly, but now your kinda hitting:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

point, and it's hurting your credibility.

Just please, take a step back and ask yourself if all of this vitriol helps.

Draz74
2008-03-10, 10:36 AM
Sorry, Mr. Friendly, but your "game" already got invented long ago, so you don't get the credit for it.

It's not named 3.5X; it's named "writing a fantasy novel," and in spite of your negative tone towards it, it's actually a pretty fun game.

However, it is traditional and considered good manners to just let the other players not even show up and waste their time when DMing such a campaign.

:smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2008-03-10, 06:11 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Time to let up on the rampant sarcasm threads. Please?