PDA

View Full Version : Bardic Music...

Beren One-Hand
2008-03-10, 08:01 PM
Is there a way to get the Bardic Music class ability without being a Bard?

I know the Virtuoso PrC gives it, but I'm looking for something that doesn't require an arcane caster level or at least is accessable before level 8.

Anybody know of anything that can help?

Stormcrow
2008-03-10, 08:49 PM
Off topic a slight thanks to your topic and your name I'm writing a one handed bard.

Enzario
2008-03-10, 09:59 PM
Off topic a slight thanks to your topic and your name I'm writing a one handed bard.

Does he play Van Halen? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway...

No, I don't think so, but check the homebrew forums or ask someone to help you brew something. IMHO Bardic Music is hardly a game-breaking ability, and it should be easy to blend it with something else.

UglyPanda
2008-03-10, 10:17 PM
Does he play the drums for Earless Panther?

The only class I can find that gives you inspire courage without already having levels in bard is Divine Prankster, in Races of Stone. It requires you to be a Gnome cleric of Garl Glittergold and take a bunch of ranks in perform(comedy) and slight of hand.

Person_Man
2008-03-10, 10:45 PM
Various Bard variants, Virtuoso, Fochlucan Lyrist, Warrior Skald, Spellsinger, and Troubadour of Stars.

There are also several PrC that function like Bardic music, but don't have the same exact name, or PrC that stack with Bard levels for various things, but don't provide their abilities on their own.

For your purposes, your best bet is probably Warrior Skald (Races of Faerun), which requires some Skills plus Power Attack and Cleave. It's a pretty solid PrC for people who enjoy Bard effects but don't want to use magic, in that it provides full BAB, the full range of Bardic Music abilities, and some special Skald abilities that give bonuses to your allies or inspire Fear effects. Combine with other buffs, debuffs, and Fear effects. Hexblade 4 (PHBII variant)/Fighter 2/Blackguard 4/Warrior Skald 10 with the Frightening Presence and Craven feats, for example.

Its also worth mentioning that for many optimal Bard builds you generally want to have full progression of Inspire Courage + Words of Creation + Dragonfire Inspiration + other feats and items that boost your Inspire Courage bonus. And Bard spells have become MUCH better, thanks to help from a lot of supplements. Not that a non-magical Bard wouldn't be fun. It's just something to consider.

Beren One-Hand
2008-03-12, 11:56 AM

Heh... Good idea! Of course I think Lúthien would make a better bard than Beren any day of the week. :smallwink:

Thanks for all the help. The main reason I was asking was because I was working on a Trumpet Archon build for the Gestalt Challenge: Double Dippers (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74253) contest. I was trying to work out a way for him to get the bardic music ability before level 9 so I could then take the Devoted Performer feat before level 12, which would allow him to take levels in Divine Bard.

Unfortunately it wasn't working out so I had to scrap the idea, but quite a few bards were submitted in the contest it seems.