d4.

BAB: Poor.

Saves: Will: High, Reflex: Low, Fortitude: Low

Skill Points at 1st Level:
(8 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level:
8 + Int modifier.

Class Skills:
The Spy’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Craft(Poison) (Int), Craft(Trapmaking) (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (All) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Acting) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

{table]Level:|BAB:|Fort:|Ref:|Will|Special
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Agent of Subterfuge, Bonus Languages, Poison Use, Sneak Attack 1d6, Trapfinding
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Improved Disguise, Trackless Step, Deadly Precision
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Mental Conditioning, Trap Sense, Sneak Attack 2d6, Sneak Attack Mastry
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Greater Disguise
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Improved Trap Sense, Sneak Attack 3d6
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Sneak Attack 4d6
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Superior Disguise
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Impenetratable Mind, Sneak Attack 5d6
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Master of Subterfuge
11th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Sneak Attack 6d6
12th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Master of Disguise
13th|+6/+1|+4|+4|+8|Sneak Attack 7d6
14th|+7/+2|+4|+4|+9|Hide in Plain Sight
15th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+9|Death Attack 8d6
16th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Shroud of Secrecy
17th|+8/+3|+5|+5|+10|Death Attack 9d6
18th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|
19th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Death Attack 10d6
20th|+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:
Spies are proficient with all simple weapons, and two light and/or ranged exotic and/or martial weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield.

Bonus Languages:
At the 1st class level, the Spy gains a bonus language of your choice.

At each class level beyond the first, the Spy gains an additional language of your choice.

Agent of Subterfuge (Ex):
At the 1st class level, select any 4 + your INT mod of the following skills: Disguise, Search, Open Lock, Forgery, Bluff, Hide, Move Silent, Sense Motive, Slight of Hand, Disable Device, Perform (Acting), and Gather Information skills.

You gain a cumulative +1 bonus to these selected skills at the 1st class level, and every other class level beyond the 1st.

You may swap any number of these selected skills for an equivalent number from the same list upon gaining a class level.

Poison Use (Ex):
Spies are skilled in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison.

Sneak Attack (Ex):
If a Spy can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The Spy’s attack deals extra damage any time his target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Spy flanks his target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two Spy levels thereafter. Should the Spy score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a Spy can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. He cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A Spy can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The Spy must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A Spy cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Trapfinding (Ex):
Spies can use the Search skill to locate traps when the task has a Difficulty Class higher than 20.

Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.

Spies can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic traps. A magic trap generally has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell used to create it.

A Spy who beats a trap’s DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.

Improved Disguise (Ex):
At the 2nd class level, you gain the Improved Disguise feat even if you don't meet the prerequisites. You do not suffer the normal –2 penalty when disguising yourself as another gender, race, or age category. You can don a disguise in half the normal time.

Trackless Step (Ex):
Starting at the 2nd class level, the Spy cannot be tracked. He can choose to leave a trail if desired.

Quick Draw (Ex):
Starting at the 2nd class level, the Spy gains the Quick Draw feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Mental Conditioning (Ex):
Starting at the 3rd class level, the Spy gains a +1 cumulative bonus to all saves and checks made versus Mind-affecting (including fear and intimidation effects) and Divination spells and effects (including intelligence checks to notice scrying sensors) for every two class levels (round down).

Deadly Precision (Ex):
Starting at the 3rd class level, the Spy gains the Deadly Precision feat, even if he doesn't meet the prerequisites.

Sneak Attack Mastry (Ex):
At the 3rd class level the Spy may take 10 on any Sneak Attack attack roll if his target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC and he uses a rogue's BAB for all Sneak Attacks.

At the 5th class level the Spy's Sneak Attacks use a fighter's BAB. The new BAB allots extra attacks as normal.

At the 7th class level, the Spy gains the Backstab, and Sneak Attack of Opportunity feats for free, even if he doesn't meet their prerequisites.

Starting at the 9th class level, any poison delivered by the Spy's sneak attacks have a +2 to their save DC.

At the 11th class level, if the Spy kills a creature with a successful sneak attack, he may make a Hide check as an immediate action, even while being observed. If observed he gets a -10 penalty to his Hide check. This penalty does not apply if he has Hide in Plain Sight.

At the 13th class level, when attacking a flat-footed and/or flanked construct, the Spy may make a Disable Device check versus a DC equal to the total of its Armor Class and applicable damage reduction (damage reduction the Spy can bypass is not applicable) as a full round action. Success allows the Spy to ignore that construct's sneak attack and critical immunities (this permits him to perform coup de graces against it). Add 1d6 sneak damage to all sneak attacks made against it for every 5 points this Disable Device check exceeds the total DC.

At the 15th class level the Spy gains the ability to make Death Attacks.

At the 20th class level the Spy may attempt a Coup De Grace versus an opponent denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, even if he is not helpless.

Trap Sense (Ex):
At 3rd level, a Spy gains an intuitive sense that alerts him to danger from traps, giving him a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. These bonuses rise to +2 when the spy reaches 6th level, to +3 when he reaches 9th level, to +4 when he reaches 12th level, to +5 at 15th, and to +6 at 18th level.

Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Greater Disguise (Ex):
Starting at the 4th class level, you gain a +5 circumstance bonus on all Disguise checks versus those unfamiliar with the creature you are impersonating. The penalties to Disguise checks for changing your apparent height and weight are reduced by half (round down). You can create a disguise in half the normal time. You can don a disguise in a quarter of the normal time. These benefits are addition to those afforded by the Improved Disguise feat. Benefits related to circumstance bonuses, and time required to don and create a disguise do not stack.

Improved Trap Sense (Ex):
At the 5th class level, the spy gains Improved Trap Sense.

In addition to the benefits conferred by Trap Sense, the spy may apply his wisdom and intelligence modifiers to his Reflex saves and AC dodge bonus versus traps. Furthermore the Spy is considered to have evasion versus traps.

Superior Disguise (Ex):
Starting at the 8th class level, you gain a +10 circumstance bonus on all Disguise checks versus those unfamiliar with the creature you are impersonating. You can create a disguise in a quarter of the normal time. You can don a disguise as a full round action (This provokes an attack of opportunity). These benefits are addition to those afforded by the Greater Disguise feat. Benefits related to circumstance bonuses, and time required to don and create a disguise do not stack.

Impenetratable Mind (Ex):
Starting at the 9th class level, the Spy gains Impenetratable Mind.
If a spy with impenetratable mind is affected by a mind-affecting or divination spell or effect and fails his saving throw, he can attempt it again 1 round later at the same DC. He gets only this one extra chance to succeed on his saving throw.

Master of Subterfuge (Ex):
At the 10th class level, and every subsequent 5 class levels, you may select a number of skills enhanced by the Agent of Subterfuge class ability equal to 1 plus your Int modifier (minimum 1). You may take a 10 on these skills even when distracted or under stress, and the time required to use these skills is reduced by half. Actions that require a full round or less to complete can now be done one degree of time sooner. Consult the following table:

{table]Normal Action Duration:|New Action Duration:
Full Round Action|Standard Action
Standard Action|Move Action
Move Action|Swift Action
Swift Action|Free Action[/table]

Master of Disguise (Ex):
Starting at the 12th class level, you can now don a disguise as a standard action (This provokes attacks of opportunity), and create a disguise in a full round. Though people intimately familiar with the creature you are impersonating are suspicious, they receive only half the normal bonus to their Spot checks. These benefits are addition to those afforded by the Superior Disguise feat. Benefits related to time required to don and create a disguise provided by other Spy abilities do not stack.

Hide In Plain Sight (Ex):
At the 14th class level or higher, a Spy can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Shroud of Secrecy (Ex):
Starting at the 16th class level, the Spy gains immunity to all mind-affecting and divination spells and effects. He may repeal this immunity when desired.

Xyk
2008-03-11, 08:14 PM
If they have trapfinding, they need decent reflex save. Also including a table will help. I think Supreme disguise is a very powerful ability. He has the power to be anyone in the world and nobody is suspicious. I'd move that back.

Hazkali
2008-03-12, 03:20 PM
Right, firstly, may I direct you to the Guide to Homebrewing (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) and here (http://www.pifro.com/dnd) where you will be able to make the table for your class.

Secondly, whilst I'd need a table to sort everything out in my head, it seems that this class is much more powerful than a Rogue, which is generally seen as the baseline for classes.

Thirdly, the wording for some of the abilities, such as those in Sneak Attack Mastery, should be tweaked to make them clearer and more in line with standard D+D wording. Also, make sure every ability has an action type- (Ex), (Sp) or (Su), and the time in which it takes to use (free, move or standard action for most combat abilities).

Brom
2008-03-12, 03:28 PM
Very powerful, very frontloaded. It has abilities that allow it to surpass the Rogue in most every way -- the only thing I see it's lacking is evasion. Why it has trapfinding in the first place, I'm not sure.

I'd take away the whole sneak attack tree and put it more in the role of skillmonkey, which would give it balance in comparison to Rogue and Beguiler. You're allowing it to fill way too many niche's. The class isn't about assassination, from what I can tell, and spies typically don't go out of their way to kill someone. They pass the orders up the grapevine and let the other field agents take care of that detail.

I like supreme disguise, but honestly, it's a hell of an ability. I'd rate it as a capstone -- 20th level. 8th level is insane. For comparison, Rangers are getting trackless step at 6th level and Evasion at ninth and swift tracking and eigth (...SP!)

Rework it with balance in mind.

Surrealistik
2008-03-12, 09:02 PM
Secondly, whilst I'd need a table to sort everything out in my head, it seems that this class is much more powerful than a Rogue, which is generally seen as the baseline for classes.

Very powerful, very frontloaded. It has abilities that allow it to surpass the Rogue in most every way -- the only thing I see it's lacking is evasion. Why it has trapfinding in the first place, I'm not sure.

Front loaded? Somewhat. However while you mention the ranger receiving trackless step at the 6th class level, the druid gets it at 2nd. The level at which many of the spy's abilities are received are not unreasonable either. Further, while it has access to many powerful abilities, nearly all of these are skill or sneak attack specific. True it outshines the rogue in these departments, clearly. However, outside of its specializations, it is utterly useless. Direct combat is a glaring example of the shortcomings that serve to balance the class; the spy has Wizard AB, hit dice, weapon, armor and shield proficencies (i.e. none, plus simple weapons and up to two exotic/martial light or ranged ones), no evasion, and saves without Wizard defenses.

Some may argue that this is a non-factor as it is unlikely to encounter these situations. While this is partially true, as the Spy wants to, and is generally equipped to avoid them, this is not always a possibility. It is all but a certainty he'll have to come to terms with his weaknesses at some point, which will prove difficult at best. In all it's effectively a more polarized rogue that sacrifices a great deal of capability in direct combat versus aptitude in other areas.

I'd take away the whole sneak attack tree and put it more in the role of skillmonkey, which would give it balance in comparison to Rogue and Beguiler. You're allowing it to fill way too many niche's. The class isn't about assassination, from what I can tell, and spies typically don't go out of their way to kill someone. They pass the orders up the grapevine and let the other field agents take care of that detail.

Modern spies do not focus on assassinations. This is true. Spies of a time more analogous to D&D? Definitely. Their responsibilities not only included but emphasized enemy assassination and disruption. Sun Tzu lauded them for precisely these things in addition to the intelligence they provided. Effectively, the niches it fills are two fold, and appropriate; skill monkeyry and assassination, and as mentioned in the prior paragraph, they pay for it dearly in other ways.

I like supreme disguise, but honestly, it's a hell of an ability. I'd rate it as a capstone -- 20th level. 8th level is insane. For comparison, Rangers are getting trackless step at 6th level and Evasion at ninth and swift tracking and eigth (...SP!)

Rework it with balance in mind.

If they have trapfinding, they need decent reflex save. Also including a table will help. I think Supreme disguise is a very powerful ability. He has the power to be anyone in the world and nobody is suspicious. I'd move that back.

Yeah, Supreme Disguise is strong, so I've allowed those who know the impersonated subject intimately to be suspicious, although at half the normal bonus they'd usually recieve for their spot checks, and moved it back to 12. It should be noted however that the ability to avoid suspicion from those who know an individual intimately can be easily attained via the Assume Quirk skill trick (not quite the same thing as total and permanent circumvention of the normal bonus and suspicion but close enough).

Grey Paladin
2008-03-14, 12:17 AM
I'd put this class at Tier 2, nicely done.

Hazkali
2008-03-14, 08:12 AM
I'd put this class at Tier 2, nicely done.

Tier 2? Is there some sort of unwritten "power ranking" system? Doesn't that go against the whole "balance" principle? Or have I gotten the wrong end of the stick?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-14, 04:19 PM
There are several tiers of power in classes. At the top, Wizards, Archivists, Psions, CoDzilla. Tier 2 includes Sorcerers.
Tier 3 is rogues and barbarians, and is the most balanced level, and the one that should be shot for.