PDA

View Full Version : Cloistered Cleric-5, Sovereign Speaker-9 What 11 domains & PRCs would you pick?

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-11, 12:06 PM
Sure it loses 2 caster levels but it also picks up 9 extra domains with the associated domain specials and 3 extra castings of domain slot spells for +4 domain spells at each level in comparison to a standard cleric and actually gets more spellcasting than a standard Cleric -20.

Cloistered Cleric picks up the bonus Knowledge domain in addition to the standard 2 domains.

Charm, Dream, Fate, Illusion, Luck, Magic, Rune, (Envy or Spell), (Celerity or Time), Travel and Trickery

Initiate of Mystra (Just change it to Aureon)

Thaumaturgist -5 could be interesting for calling, summoning and the planar cohort without the leadership feat.

Divine Oracle -2 would let you pick up another domain and "Divine" Evasion.

Contemplative -1 would let you pick up another domain.

Loremaster -2 would pick up Bardic Knowledge (Edit could be nice with a standard Cleric who doesn't get Bardic Knowledge like a Cloistered Cleric).

So what domains and PRCs would you suggest since you aren't allowed to have more than two domains offered by the same diety which could get a little tricky if the PRC was adapted to other Pantheons like FRCS or Greyhawk?

Douglas
2008-03-11, 12:41 PM
First, you don't get 3 extra domain slots at each level, you get 3 extra domain slots total - one 3rd level, one 5th level, and one 7th level.

For domains, Pride is good for a free reroll of all natural 1s on saves and is available from Olladra.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-11, 12:52 PM
First, you don't get 3 extra domain slots at each level, you get 3 extra domain slots total - one 3rd level, one 5th level, and one 7th level.

For domains, Pride is good for a free reroll of all natural 1s on saves and is available from Olladra.

I concede the OP could have been worded slightly better but a Sovereign Speaker - 9 does receive +4 Domain Spell Slots for each divine spell level First to Ninth in comparison to a standard Cleric who only receives one.

Excellent point regarding Pride domain.

Chronos
2008-03-11, 04:58 PM
Loremaster -2 would pick up Bardic Knowledge.Cloistered Clerics already get that. And Loremaster's four skill points per level is an increase over most spellcasters' two, but Cloistered Cleric gives six. You're really not gaining much by taking a CC into Loremaster.

Douglas
2008-03-11, 05:20 PM
I concede the OP could have been worded slightly better but a Sovereign Speaker - 10 does receive +4 Domain Spell Slots for each divine spell level First to Ninth in comparison to a standard Cleric who only receives one.
I'm looking at the class on page 33 of Faiths of Eberron right now, and no, he doesn't. Also, it's a 9 level class so you can't take 10 levels in it.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-11, 05:34 PM
Shouldn't post and multi task especially while perusing a new source book. Thanks for catching my mistakes Chronos and Douglas I have amended the OP.

Still a pretty cool PRC with all the domains the PC picks up.

Was thinking it would be really cool for a Favored Soul (Sovereign Host) who dips into another PRC to pick up his first domain which would really bump up spellcasting.

Rad
2008-03-11, 05:44 PM
Dvine feats, including divine metamagic, are only fueled bt Turn/Rebuke undead. The other variants, like those granted by the elemental domains, cannot be used for that purpose.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-11, 05:48 PM
Dvine feats, including divine metamagic, are only fueled bt Turn/Rebuke undead. The other variants, like those granted by the elemental domains, cannot be used for that purpose.

Thanks for clarifying that I'll amend the post. The PRC actually got me interested in playing a Cleric, Cloistered Cleric or Favored Soul PC.

avr
2008-03-11, 05:59 PM
Remember that you can only pick 2 of the domains offered by any individual god of the sovereign host, if you have the Knowledge and Magic domains you can't pick any other which Aureon offers e.g. Spell.

Also, I don't think any god of the host grants Trickery as a domain. This may be a problem for some of the other domains in your list too.

I've played around with this PrC in one of Duke of URL's gestalt challenges. The domains I chose there were Charm & Life for the initial domains, Travel, Luck, Spell, Celerity, Protection, Animal, Community, Mind and Liberation for the bonus domains.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-11, 06:48 PM
Remember that you can only pick 2 of the domains offered by any individual god of the sovereign host, if you have the Knowledge and Magic domains you can't pick any other which Aureon offers e.g. Spell.

Also, I don't think any god of the host grants Trickery as a domain. This may be a problem for some of the other domains in your list too.

I've played around with this PrC in one of Duke of URL's gestalt challenges. The domains I chose there were Charm & Life for the initial domains, Travel, Luck, Spell, Celerity, Protection, Animal, Community, Mind and Liberation for the bonus domains.

Thanks for the responding I really appreciate all the extra eyes. Very good point for not going Cloistered Cleric and picking up the bonus Knowledge domain and sticking with Cleric or Favored Soul.

The Trickery domain might need to be acquired via the Contemplative PRC or a lesser known Hearth Power like Chav from BoED which might not be an option in all games. Agree it is a valid concern regarding the domains. It could be a problem in some games where all those extra domains are not clearly assigned to an ECS SH Power but most DMs are reasonable if a similar D&D Power is cited as having the extra domain either the SH power could gain or have a lesser known Hearth Power like BoED possess the domain as probably one of the better options. Thanks for including the domain build choices.

Glawackus
2008-03-11, 07:05 PM
Thanks for clarifying that I'll amend the post. The PRC actually got me interested in playing a Cleric, Cloistered Cleric or Favored Soul PC.

Yeah...does anyone have a link to a good build for the Sovereign Speaker? Internet cookies may be given out. :smallbiggrin:

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-11, 09:45 PM
After several basically unsucessful web searches I believe the Sovereign Speaker PRC was overshadowed by the Planar Shepherd PRC and thus didn't receive much interest or love. One build on the CO boards at Wizard's had Cleric -11, SS - 9 and the Worldly Focus feat for the build.

Kol Korran
2008-03-12, 02:45 AM
i like the soverign speaker PrC, but mostly for fluff reasons, not for the mechanics. if that is what drives you, then i wouldn' suggest attaining more than 3-4 levels in it (6 at most if the extra domain spell slot is realy realy importent to you).

at level 4 for example you'll allready have 6 domains (and there aren't that many good domains on the host gods list, if you're going by it... ). the extra ones are superfluos. i'd suggest to pick another PrC, or even return to cleric (the reduced skill at turn undead might be offset by the Sun or Glory domains, to a degree).

if style and fluff is your thing, i say go for it! that is what this PrC is all about, enabling you to channel aspect of all the nine gods, each in his respective theme...
as to which domains i would choose? i'll list it by deity (this is from mechanical reasons. this would probably vary widely depending on the character's personality):

Arawai: weather (nice spells), and plant (especially if there is no druid)
Balinor: earth and air (don't much care for retribution and celerity)
Aueron: oracle and mind (diviner aspect)
Boldrei: protection? perhaps law or good?
Dol Arrah: glory and sun (anti undead)
Dol Dorn: war (longsword proficiency), and strength or liberation.
Olladra: luck and pride (similar powers, nice spells).
Onatar: warforged (if campaign fitting), fire or metal.
Kol Korran: (ahem, ahem..) charm and travel.

hope this helped. and if not, that it at least amused.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-12, 03:36 AM
Go for Cloistered Cleric 5/Sovereign Speaker 9/Contemplative 6. 2 (cleric) + knowledge (cloistered) + 9 (SS) + 2 (Contemplative, +1 at 1st and 6th), total 13 domains.

Choose Plant (Arawai), Magic (Aureon), Oracle (Aureon), Spell (Aureon), Celerity (Balinor), War (Longsword; Dol Arrah/Dorn), Sun (Dol Arrah), Glory (Dol Arrah), Competition (Dol Dorn), Travel (Kol Korran), Luck (Olladra), Pride (Olladra) and Waforged (Onatar). You can now Turn Undead, Rebuke Plant and Construct (Free Waforged cohort?), heaps of good spells and domain abilities.

That'd be my recommendation, and would certainly be my preference if I were to build the... build.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-12, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the posts I have found all of them very helpful particularly the ones addressing my mistakes and misunderstandings of the PRC. I really like the flavor and mechanical concept of a Pantheon cleric getting something for it (It would be very rare occassion for two to be the same with all the domain choices). I believe this PRC could be really sweet for a Favored Soul who picked up a domain before entering the Sovereign Speaker PRC both for flavor and mechanics.

The major mechanical restriction with the PRC is the PC cannot have more than 2 domains from any single pantheon power (Adapting it to larger pantheons like FRCS or Greyhawk would make domain choices tougher than the present with so many more Powers).

I really like skill points and the bonus Knowledge domain with a Cloistered Cleric but it also counts as one of the 2 domains say for a God of Magic like Aureon who has Knowledge, Law and Magic domains (and probably the Rune and Spell domains like Mystra and Azuth or the Oracle domain like Boccob unless you throw in Hearth Powers and Incarnates (Basically Saints of Aureons managing an aspect of Aureon's portfolio)).

I don't recall seeing an ECS power and domain conversion reference for adding some of the newer domains like Wizard's usually does for the FRCS and Greyhawk default setting.

Throw in source books like BoED, Complete Divine, Dieties and Demigods, Faiths & Pantheons, FC I &II along with the Spell Compendium.

I like the ideal of using the BoED lesser known Minor Hearth Powers (DR 1-5) with only a few hundred worshippers and DR1 Incarnates.

Depending on how the domain mechanics are handled in a game. Probably the easiest is if they are limited to the domains on pages of 68-69 of ECS source book for the Soverign Host. Some of the PRC like Divine Oracle (Oracle Domain) or Contemplative (Other Domain of choice) or Seeker of the Misty Isle (Travel) will allow picking up some nice domains from other source books including the PHB.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-12, 01:43 PM
If you are going for most domains grab Church Inquisitor at 4 for Inquisition domain.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-12, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion LG or LN Cleric or Cloistered Cleric - 3 Pantheon Cleric who is a member of the church of Boldrei or Dol Arrah could work followed by 2 levels of Church Inquisitor for the Detect Evil, bonus Inquisition domain and Immune to Charms special.

I like it but it could be a little gray for some games since Sovereign Speakers can not favor one God above (IMO they could be members of all SH churches and still qualify to take the PRC sort of specialized training) as another (Class entry special) while Church Inquisitors need to be LN or LG members of a LG church while the Sovereign Host Pantheon is NG overall. On the plus side ECS isn't a stickler for alignment like other settings.

IMO a Sovereign Host Pantheon Cleric should be able to become a member of a church of the pantheon.

Cloister CL -3, Church Inquisior -2, Sovereign Speaker - 5 would cast as a Cleric -9 could work well for mid level and lower games while providing a nice foundation for upper levels.

2 Domains of Boldrei or Dol Arrah, 2 Fixed bonus domains Inquisition and Knowledge and 4 bonus Sovereign Speaker SH domain with the restriction of not having more than 2 domain of any Sovereign Host Power.

dcurtisj
2008-04-25, 04:28 PM
I'm playing a Warforged Cleric/Speaker right now, in a campaign intended to run to level 20, so I have a real-world answer for you. I started as a regular cleric, not "cloistered", so I had to chase Knowledge instead of just having it, but my 11 eventual domains, in the order I'm taking them, are as follows (I've listed the associated member of the Host for each one):

Warforged - [Onatar]
Commerce - [Kol Korran]
Travel - [Kol Korran]
Magic - [Aureon]
Knowledge - [Aureon]
Celerity - [Balinor]
Luck - [Olladra]
Pride - [Olladra]
Life - [Arawai]
War - [Dol Arrah & Dol Dorn]
Protection - [Boldrei]

All nine members of the Host are ultimately accounted for, with War doing double-duty. If only I could load up on more Aureon and Kol Korran...

-- The Elder Dan

Overlord
2008-04-25, 04:37 PM
You know, the Loremaster is a case study for Prestige Class sourcebook power creep. The PrC just can't compete with anything from the first batch of Complete books, let alone the second batch.

Personally? I would look into Contemplative. With 6 levels in Contemplative, you could be the Uber-Domainer.