PDA

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2...

Eldpollard
2008-03-12, 12:36 PM
So, I was wondering who else here plays it? I imagine I'm not alone, as it has to be the most fun first person shooter I've played. My steam ID is the same as my forum one. Eldpollard. So if you feel like adding me as a friend on steam go ahead. My friends list is empty. My friends generally lacking computers good enough to play new games.

So what's everyone's favourite class/map?

Mc. Lovin'
2008-03-12, 03:26 PM
Sure! Actually we have a huge thread and steam group about it! :smallbiggrin:
Go on over and post you're steam ID in the original thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58949) and you can get an invite into the group ;D

Shovah
2008-03-12, 04:24 PM
You should definitely join the GitP Steam group. Those guys are great(got me the "with friends like these" achievement).

Eldpollard
2008-03-12, 05:33 PM
I just have joined the steam group. Should be good. I thought the orange box thread had died, hence me starting this one.

Miklus
2008-03-14, 08:25 PM
Can I be in your friends group too? My ID is "tooold817".

And I was wondering...do I suck? I can't get a kill-to-death ratio over 1. My best is 0.92 for the heavy. On the up side I got 14 kills once. Go heavy.

I make a fool of myself with any other class. My ratio as medic is 50:1 or something. I like to think that is because I am a team player :) I did manage to kill three people in one go with the bonesaw yesterday. Death to the scouts! You think you can catch me, speedy? Go ahead! OK, they kill me 9 times out of 10.

I am learning to play the pyro. It is very different from the other class. You need to run other lines. It took some time to figure out, but at least I don't get killed *every* time now. Just dart in, set people on fire and run away. Avoid open spaces. And solders, demomen and heavies unless übercharged. But oh, with übercharge on...sweet. The best part is that you can finally get some payback on those darn spies.

Nebo_
2008-03-15, 02:27 AM
You're not bad, but I've seen worse.

When I have as many deaths as I have kills, I consider that I'm playing badly.

I can't remember where you find your kills to deaths ratio in the stats. I've seen it somewhere before, but I have no idea where to look now.

Surrealistik
2008-03-15, 07:11 AM
Favourite class? Heavy (http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197964740600/stats/TF2).
Favourite map? Warpath_Final.

And I was wondering...do I suck? I can't get a kill-to-death ratio over 1. My best is 0.92 for the heavy. On the up side I got 14 kills once. Go heavy.

I'd consider that pretty bad, but there's hope! Employ these tricks and you'll be enjoying 5:1 or better ratios in no time (results may vary):

A: Find a good medic.
B: Get a togglable script that autowinds your minigun.
C: Predict and anticipate enemy movements rather than chase if possible.
D: Prioritize targets; kill the ones most likely to kill you.
E: Know when to run and heal. If you're at 50% health or less, that's a pretty good time to do so.
F: Ambush. Yes ambush. Though it seems counterintuitive, the heavy is much more effective when he flanks and catches the enemy by surprise, killing them before they have the chance to respond or run.
G: Track. Very important. You should be able to track scouts with ease using your minigun.
H: Avoid snipers at all costs. Duck jump and strafe like mad if you must expose yourself to one, while firing at them with the shotgun if possible.
I: Use the shotgun to fire on the move.
J: Strafe while firing with the minigun, and move towards the target. Not only will this give you precious, lifesaving evasion versus incoming projectiles, but it'll also increase your DPS, as the distance from your target narrows and more bullets hit. Ducking or remaining still while firing makes you an easy target.
K: Feign retreats. In order to get a clean, efficent kill, try running away from a pursuer until you are out of sight beyond a corner, and face towards where you expect him to come. Typically they'll assume you continued, and will hesitate in surprise. Given that your minigun does 200 damage per second at close/point blank range, the split second or more of time this buys you is usually more than enough to frag your victim with minimal health loss. Obviously don't do this if your pursuer is too close, or you're too far away from a viable corner.
L: Dont engage enemies at long range. This is a waste of ammo, as your minigun suffers a double jeopardy of both terrible accuracy and per bullet damage at that range.
M: Restock ammo when low (50 rounds or less) if prudent, remember to loot weapons for 100 rounds apiece.
N: Bind a conveniently reached, accessible key to the activate ubercharge soundbite so you can tell your medic when to use it on the fly.
O: Seek high ground. Not only does it give you a better vantage point, but you can often catch enemies by surprise as few remember to look up.

Miklus
2008-03-15, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the advise. I also think that some maps are just bad for heavies. My biggest problem is snipers. The minigun is useless at long ranges, don't challenge a sniper.

A medic I get killed by anyone. Even scouts. But changing to medic can really turn the tide if my team is loosing. Poor medic with his terrible kill ratio, no one wants to be the medic. Everyone yells for him and curses him for not healing them in the last split second. But to they want to play him ? Noooo, they just run around and improve their statistics. But he is the most importaint member of the team. I really wish someone would watch his back more often.

Felizginato12
2008-03-18, 10:03 PM
I remember one time I was playing a match and I swear to god the top killer on the opposing team was a medic. After the first round I think he had a score of 54...or 50 somewhere in the 50 range.

Not only was he an amazing healer but at the same time he knew how to play his character. He would often slip into a wave of oncoming opponents healing one target and when the fights broke out he would momentarily stop healing and attack someone...it's hard to explain but he was just like this ghost that kept appearing out of nowhere and killing us. xD

But I do agree that too many people disrespect the medic...I wouldn't call it the most important class in the game (while I think all classes are equally as important the engineer really seems to be the main target in matches for setting up those goddamn turrets).

Shovah
2008-03-19, 10:45 AM
I love playing a medic. You can change the tide of an entire battle alot of the time.
And everybody underestimates medics in combat. When you kill 2 full health heavies at point blank range with non-critical syringes your team-mates wont look at you the same way again.

Spy, Medic, Engineer and Heavy all the way baby.

As a side note, anybody know how to fix the blue screen o' death? Already upgraded my ATI drivers so it can't be that.

Albub
2008-03-19, 08:31 PM
Snipers aren't a big part of a team. They usually end up just canceling out the other team's snipers, and the game could totally do fine without them. I wouldn't play TF2 anymore if they cut them, but I can honestly say that from a teamwork perspective, they don't serve much of a purpose.

Miklus
2008-03-20, 07:45 AM
Snipers aren't a big part of a team. They usually end up just canceling out the other team's snipers, and the game could totally do fine without them. I wouldn't play TF2 anymore if they cut them, but I can honestly say that from a teamwork perspective, they don't serve much of a purpose.

I agree with you there. Although they CAN be good on the defensive on some maps. I have not played the sniper much, but there is a surtain satisfaction in getting a headshot on another sniper! Especially if he just got you three times as a heavy...

There is maps where the only class allowed is sniper. The two teams can't even reach each other, only snipe away...