PDA

View Full Version : Was it wrong of me...

Doresain
2008-03-12, 02:52 PM
to make a level 7 clositered cleric of Velsharoon (faerun god for those of you who dont know) that not only uses animate dead like a kid using his allowance in a candy store, but also took undead leadership?

another thing, what book is practiced spellcaster in? i plan on taking a few levels of monk for fluff purposes and to balance out the fact that i have a growing horde

The_Blue_Sorceress
2008-03-12, 03:00 PM
to make a level 7 clositered cleric of Velsharoon (faerun god for those of you who dont know) that not only uses animate dead like a kid using his allowance in a candy store, but also took undead leadership?

another thing, what book is practiced spellcaster in? i plan on taking a few levels of monk for fluff purposes and to balance out the fact that i have a growing horde

Practiced Spellcaster is in Complete Arcane.

If you don't want your villain to get beat down hard, I'd suggest avoiding levels of monk. Maybe just use a feat to get improved unarmed strike?

-Blue

Doresain
2008-03-12, 03:06 PM
well i was considering monk mainly for fluff reasons...he hasnt really done a whole lot, because he has hordes of minions to do that for him...but when he busts out with a cleric's buffs and a monks speed, i think the party and them DM will be really surprised...that and beating someone to death with your bare hands as the high prst of a god of death is a particularly nice ring to it >:)

mostlyharmful
2008-03-12, 03:11 PM
Monks Belt + Boots of striding and springing. Voila! you can now hand out interesting loot after he's dead, play the character concept and not have a sucktastic BBEG.

That being said if he's really up to snuff on his shambling-hordes-fu I don't suppose a level of monk is going to break the bank. Just make sure to adjust the CR down, since he's now trying to run around and fight he's suddenly less impressive than a caster focussed on casting from behind a big wall of mooks.

Edit: Ah, I see, I thought you were the DM, if this is a PC stay away from Monk like the plague it is, seriously. If you want the fluff then more levels of cloistered cleric and a slightly more aggressive attitude in combat fits it just as well and doesn't leave you twisting in the wind powerwise

I don't mean to be bitter but i've got a multiclassed monk/sorc on my hands at the moment, with a powerful party around him. Such a headache to watch let alone design encounters/stories around his craptastitude

Doresain
2008-03-12, 09:40 PM
well i guess i just liked the idea that was had in LFG...a primary caster when cornered turns into a neck-breaking psycho-murderer type...

and im not really worried about being able to cast all the spells id have available at a certain level...i figure being able to not only animate my own hordes, but have increasing numbers of them given to me via a feat was enough(hence why im avoiding divine meta-cheese like the plague) that and the DM actually allowed me to obtain a commander rating considering i have like 30 dudes under my control

Ascension
2008-03-12, 09:44 PM
well i guess i just liked the idea that was had in LFG...a primary caster when cornered turns into a neck-breaking psycho-murderer type...

If that's your concept, give him a level or two in barbarian. When you get good and mad, cast bull's strength on yourself, then rage.

Doresain
2008-03-13, 01:26 AM
yeah that would probably would better

Burley
2008-03-13, 08:54 AM
If you're really wanting to be like Richard from LFG, start taking levels in Warlock. Your God decided you were doing a bang up job with the hole...killing stuff, but needs you to increase your turn around. (He's on Quota.) He imbues you with some Eldritch Powers, pats your head and sends you back out to play.

Warlocks get a Lesser (?) invocation that mimics Animate Dead, plus a slew of other powerful junks. That's the BEST way to be like Richard, since he is, in fact, a Warlock.