PDA

View Full Version : Geomancer - Mystic Theurge

Glyde
2008-03-12, 03:52 PM
I'm planning on building my character to a heavy caster that will be using a lot of divine metamagic, and I'd like to ask the personal opinion of fellow players.

I'm torn between building towards the Geomancer and the Mystic Theurge. The Geomancer would be fun as hell to roleplay (This is a big factor) but I'd have to alternate the spell types as I level up. The thing is, if I were to pick Mystic Theurge I wouldn't be able to hold my own in a fight as well as I can now (Currently Cleric 3)

Of course, the party doesn't need arcane spells as much anymore as we recently had a wizard join us, so I could easily build to Warpriest instead or continue on pure cleric. I was kinda set on blasting the party's resident evil outsider with a purified lightning bolt, though I guess I don't have to.

Is there anything out there that I'd probably enjoy that I don't know about? This mini rant here is just looking for opinions >_>

RTGoodman
2008-03-12, 03:57 PM
Regarding the Mystic Theurge:
http://photo.gangus.com/d/26788-2/ackbar.jpg

The class's only real result is that you're mediocre at two casting classes, whereas D&D rewards specialization. You may have a lot of low- and mid-level spells at 20th level, but at the same time Clerics are gonna be calling down miracles and Wizards will be reshaping reality.

I don't know much about Geomancer (that's the geometry book one, right?), but as long as it's a single-casting class that doesn't lose caster levels, you should be good.

In general, that's the first rule of optimization - don't lose caster levels. Any full-casting PrC will be good, since there's not much to lose (especially since you're just using turn undead to fuel DMM). Radiant Servant of Pelor is cool and my personal preference for Cleric PrCs, but there are others out there.

A general rule, though, is that straight Cleric is strong enough. If you're using DMM, you'll be able to keep your self-buffs up long enough to fight better than the fighter and still have full casting. There's a reason it's called ClericZilla.

kamikasei
2008-03-12, 04:02 PM
I don't know much about Geomancer (that's the geometry book one, right?), but as long as it's a single-casting class that doesn't lose caster levels, you should be good.

That's Geometer. Geomancer I think is an odd sort of nature- or travel-oriented PrC where you take on aspects of animals.

I don't know much about it myself but it's probably better than MT. In general, dual-casting is hard to make good. Better to just focus on diving casting really well.

Glyde
2008-03-12, 04:13 PM
If I took Geomancer I could still focus on Divine but still have a few Arcane spells to assist in combat (Like True Strike). The BAB for it is a lot like the cleric's. Also, the "Drifts" that come with it are actually fairly good later on, giving rather large skill boosts or special abilities that would be useful for my character. And fun to roleplay at the very least.

Also, most of the group is pretty new so power at end game doesn't matter. I don't think the campaign will last till 20th level. Warpriest is still up in the air though, as I always did like the concept of a priest beating people down in the front lines.

Nohwl
2008-03-12, 04:30 PM
geomancer is supposed to be a spellcaster that gets its power from the land. as you go up in level in the class you gain more animal traits and features. you need to be able to cast 2nd level arcane and 2nd level divine to be able to go into it.

if you already have a wizard, id say go into something thats full cleric progression, like radiant servant of pelor or sacred exorcist, or just remain as a cleric.

Glyde
2008-03-12, 04:39 PM
Well, our casters are a Sorc who doesn't know what he's doing and a Warmage. If I went into a divine/arcane caster class, I'd most certainly do wizard to get the arcane levels for the utility. Our sorc decided "urr lets blast everything in sight" and Warmage spells don't include very much battlefield control I don't think.

Geomancer is still looking good. It may be gimped caster wise, but the Drift's and Spell Versatility pay off. Spell Versatility, by the way, is pretty amazing, As I gain levels I can cast Arcane/Divine spells as if they were the other, benefits-wise. No arcane spell failure to put it bluntly.

Chronos
2008-03-12, 05:26 PM
I don't know much about it myself but it's probably better than MT. In general, dual-casting is hard to make good. Better to just focus on diving casting really well.Geomancer has the same sort of entrance requirements as Mystic Theurge, but then once you get it, it only advances one of your classes at a time. Getting 13 levels of cleric casting isn't worth giving up 3 of wizard (or vice-versa), so it's certainly not worth getting only 3 levels of one to give up 3 of the other, even if you do get some nice class features.

Glyde
2008-03-12, 05:58 PM
Geomancer*

The way I see it, is that it comes down to Geomancer and Warpriest. If I played Geomancer, I'd alternate which caster I'd level each time. If I played Warpriest, spells would only go up ever other level, so there's no difference in divine casting between the two. It comes down to would I rather have some arcane spells as well (With spell versatility, by the way, which in MY opinion counter acts the benefits of going pure Divine) or more physical power. Both can carry themselves in a fight, and some of the Geomancer's Drifts can be combat focused. However, the spell-like abilities that a Warpriest gets along with it's high hit points and fullish BAB is tempting.

Geomancer also fits my character perfectly roleplaying wise. She's *already* animal-like, so why not go the whole nine yards?

Gerrtt
2008-03-13, 07:59 AM
If you're choosing between the two, I say Geomancer but focus more on your cleric spells (so maybe 3/4 of your spell ups should be cleric and the rest wizard if you insist on nabbing a few useful spells). As long as you don't mind casting spells as a 17th level cleric and a 6th level wizard then that's fine.

I played one once. It's no monster, but it's still lots of fun. And that's what matters most, at least to me.

Glyde
2008-03-13, 11:18 AM
One last question then before I level up: Is there any way to be able to fill the "Cast level 2 arcane spells" requirement without taking 3 levels in wizard? I'm sure I read it up somewhere, but I don't know if it's possible this far in.

Irreverent Fool
2008-03-13, 11:41 AM
Sure. You could take 4 levels in sorcerer.

There's no good way to acquire the actual ability to cast 2nd-level spells without advancing the proper level. Granted, there is the Precocious Apprentice (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041114a) feat, but it's been argued that that doesn't actually grant you 2nd-level spells (I disagree. It seems pretty clear that it does). You'd have to be able to take that feat, however.

I wouldn't worry about gaining arcane spells (like true strike). You can buff your BAB directly as a cleric. Divine Power (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divinePower.htm): Who needs a fighter?

Kioran
2008-03-13, 11:47 AM
Usually precocious apprentice, but thatīs a lvl 1 only Feat, and highly dubious. Iīd recommend Geomancer, advancing cleric all the way, and going into MT once the Geomancer has run itīs course.......Maximum spell progression, so you can become a literal battery of spells. Sure, you lose a few spells/day and some CL, but all in all can still be a versatile caster and buffer. The killinī and blasting is done by the others anyway.........

Nohwl
2008-03-13, 12:34 PM
alternative source spell if you are allowed to use dragon magazine.

Glyde
2008-03-13, 03:26 PM
Aight, after much debating with myself and the information I took from you folks, as well as talking to the other players, I'm probably going to end up going Geomancer with full on divine spells after I meet the arcane spell casting requirement.

However, recent events in-game has changed the way I'm looking at the situation. My character is eligible for sainthood, and I could take a level in fighter for the bonus feat and take Intuitive Strike [Exalted] to hasten the process, then go full cleric from there.

Irreverent Fool
2008-03-13, 04:40 PM
Aight, after much debating with myself and the information I took from you folks, as well as talking to the other players, I'm probably going to end up going Geomancer with full on divine spells after I meet the arcane spell casting requirement.

However, recent events in-game has changed the way I'm looking at the situation. My character is eligible for sainthood, and I could take a level in fighter for the bonus feat and take Intuitive Strike [Exalted] to hasten the process, then go full cleric from there.

Don't you need to be dead to be a saint?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-13, 04:49 PM
Don't you need to be dead to be a saint?

Meh, that would be Risen Martyr class. Very nice, but you get to make a new character after 10th level. :smalltongue:

Glyde
2008-03-13, 06:49 PM
Yeah, Risen Martyr prestige class is the one where you die and come back through the will of a deity. Also, if someone casts True Resurrection before level 10 then you go back to what you were before.

After filling certain criteria you can be given the Saint template. Dying may or may not be used as the 'Heroic Sacrifice' requirement. Of course, it can be the coolest.