PDA

View Full Version : Hospital Visit

Gerrtt
2008-03-12, 08:52 PM
I had a bit of what I thought was a close call this morning. I have been having some minor chest pain for about a week, I had chalked it up to heart burn or something like it. When I woke up this morning it was significantly more painful and more frequent, so after my class I decided to get checked out because a few months ago when I had an ear infection I was told that my blood pressure was high.

Good news is that I'm fine. I had an EKG and an X-ray and things are all normal. Blood pressure is good, heart is good, lungs are good, no broken bones, no pneumonia. Apparently what I have is some chest wall irritation, and that can be treated with rest and an anti-inflammatory.

The whole thing had me pretty scared though. I feel like I'm too young to be having serious heart problems and I really didn't want to be facing that. But anyways, I'm great. I have a little pain every now and then, but I'm more or less healthy.

The funny thing about the whole experience is that they gave me a shot for the pain (which I described as a 3-4 on a 1-10 scale) and the shot ended up hurting more in the long run because it stung for about an hour after they gave it to me, much worse than the chest pain.

Flickerdart
2008-03-12, 08:56 PM
And this is why you should always count on your body's regenerative abilities rather than silly "science" or "medicine". :P

Mr. Moon
2008-03-12, 08:57 PM
Glad to hear everything checked out fine. :smallsmile:

Shots suck, though. I once had a nurse miss three times trying to hit one of my veins. Ouch.

Thiel
2008-03-13, 01:17 AM
Glad to hear everything checked out fine. :smallsmile:

Shots suck, though. I once had a nurse miss three times trying to hit one of my veins. Ouch.

Me too, though in my case it 43 tries before he got it right

Nohwl
2008-03-13, 01:24 AM
how can you miss 43 times?

Agamid
2008-03-13, 01:38 AM
i remember when my dad had what we thought to be a heart-attack. it was in the middle of a shopping centre with me and his girlfriend of the time.
We all completely freaked out, especially since this was a good few years ago and my mum was out of state at the time, so we didn't really have an adult to 'look after us' as such.
It turned out that actually one of the discs in his back had slipped out while he was walking, causing severe pain and tingling down one side of his body as it pressed on the nerve.

I also remember going in to hospital for one of my weekly blood tests and sitting there for what must have been at least 1 1/2hrs while all of the nurses and then a doctor tried to find an unscarred vein that would give up a little blood... they were about to start trying my feet when the cannula they had in one of my arms started gushing blood everywhere... mmm, fun times... that was just before they decided to give me a portacath.

glad to hear you're alright though Gerrtt

Mattarias, King.
2008-03-13, 01:47 AM
i remember when my dad had what we thought to be a heart-attack. it was in the middle of a shopping centre with me and his girlfriend of the time.
We all completely freaked out, especially since this was a good few years ago and my mum was out of state at the time, so we didn't really have an adult to 'look after us' as such.
It turned out that actually one of the discs in his back had slipped out while he was walking, causing severe pain and tingling down one side of his body as it pressed on the nerve.

I also remember going in to hospital for one of my weekly blood tests and sitting there for what must have been at least 1 1/2hrs while all of the nurses and then a doctor tried to find an unscarred vein that would give up a little blood... they were about to start trying my feet when the cannula they had in one of my arms started gushing blood everywhere... mmm, fun times... that was just before they decided to give me a portacath.

glad to hear you're alright though Gerrtt

:smalleek: Eep. Do not want.

I'm glad everyone's OK, though. Even if y'all are anonymous peoples on the interwebz.