PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-03-12, 09:40 PM
OOC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4052919#post4052919)

It is the beginning of Autumn. Your journeys have brought you to the coastal town of Sandpoint, where everyone was busy with preparations for the Swallowtail Festival. The festival will apparently be the largest ever held in the town, for the Church of Desna's reconsecration (The old one was apparently burnt in a fire a few years back; the new one was just finished) will be performed at the festival, which is held today.

The opening speeches are made by Mayor Deverin, Sheriff Hemlock, Cyrdak Drokkus, the owner of the Sandpoint Theater, and Father Zantus, the new priest of Desna (the old one died in the fire). The mayor welcomes all the visitors and gives an exciting, amusing speech. The Sheriff, however, fulfills his duty and depresses everybody with his warnings to be safe around the bonfire that night and request for a moment of silence to remember those who died in the fire. Cyrdak, however, is easily able to improve the crowd's mood with rousing anecdotes about the reconstruction; he then asks everyone to stop by the theater to see his production of "The Harpy's Curse." Last, Father Zantus gives a short speech thanking everyone for coming before he declares the festival underway.

At noon, Father Zantus and his acolytes bring a large covered wagon into the town square and recount a short parable about how, after falling to earth, Desna was nursed to health by a blind child who she transformed into an immortal butterfly as a reward. They then pull the cover off of the wagon, releasing a huge colorful storm of a thousand swallowtail butterflies into the air. Children chase them, but are never quite quick enough.

Lunch is provided for free by Sandpoint's best taverns. Highlights include Ameiko Kaijitsu's curry-spiced salmon, the Hagfish's lobster chowder and the White Deer's peppercorn venison. After you get your food you look for a table, but you can only find one spot. You are joined by five other people (the other PCs).

((This is a chance for introductions. Take as long as you want, and tell me when you're ready for the exciting bit to start.))

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-12, 10:10 PM
Vellichek

After a rather rough trip through the wilderness, Vellichek is rather glad of seeing civilization at last. His stomach, however, is even happier, especially considering how he has had to cut on the trail rations due to that incident with the boar.

Entering town, he is surprised to be suddenly enveloped by what seems like a colorful maelstrom of flowers. Taking a few minutes to recover from his surprise, he notices that it's not flowers, but butterflies. Now, who would have captured so many butterflies and freed them all at once is a mystery. Perhaps he should enquire...?

His stomach grumbles again. Wisely choosing to leave the mystery unsolved for now, Vellichek follows his nose to a food stand. There he stocks up on a great variety of dishes before moving along, looking for a place to sit down and enjoy the meal at. Seeing an empty table in a secluded spot, he rushes towards the place. Finally having found a place to sit down at, he proceeds to vehemently and rapidly attack the meal.

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-12, 10:34 PM
Vatai
Vellichek returns to find a tall, gaunt man sitting at the table. Whereas he chose a variety of foods, the bald human sits with only a single rabbit, (cooked by one of the simpler inns, though it still is a masterpiece of spices an seasonings) a loaf of thick, dark bread, and a massive mug of bitter mead. The man tears veraciously at the rabbit, obviously famished. For several seconds he only tears at the meat, ignoring his dining mate, but once most of the rabbit is devoured the man tosses it back onto his plate and reaches for the bread. As he does so, his eyes freeze on the other diner like those of a fox caught thieving. Immediately, the barbarian draws the bread into his lightly armored chest.
They said I could have this.
Vatai's eyes never leave the other man, but his tense frame betrays his readiness to run.
Damn that inn keeper. He said Sandpoint was a quiet town. I come here to find people everywhere. Too much attention. And giving out food... I've had to steal food from places larger and grander than Sandpoint, and even the other Shoanti tribes never gave me food. I knew it was too good to be true.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-12, 10:42 PM
Vellichek

*Raises an eyebrow*. Excuse me, sir, but I believe you have hijacked my table. Could you please depart it? Sitting down on the other side of the table, Vellichek finishes his food, and proceeds to stare very intently at the other man, as if magically commanding him to leave. As this has no effect, Vellichek resigns himself to having to share the table with the man. Aah, well. It's not that bad. The privacy and time to reflect goes down the drain, though. Pity that. As he scrutinizes the other man, Vellichek remembers something. Eeehm...and...who said you could have that rabbit? He curiously inquires.

jagadaishio
2008-03-12, 10:56 PM
Seoni

Seoni walks around town casually, carrying around a plate of food and snacking on it while she watches the butterflies. She loves little Sandpoint festivals like these. She'll miss them once she moves away.

Seeing a table with open seats, Seoni sits down with the gaunt man and the man guarding the loaf of bread. "Enjoying the free food, boys? All of the inns really go all out with it to advertise how good their cooks are," she says conversationally while watching the butterflies flit around in the air.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-12, 11:20 PM
Vellichek

Who decided to throw a party at this table without me knowing? Well, I guess I can cope with just another guest, Vellichek silently muses. After elucubrating such thoughts, he proceeds to turn towards the lass and gifts her with a small, but steady smile.

Quite so, milady, quite so. Though the food really advertises itself, don't you think? He says in a conversational tone. Seeing the girl watch the butterfly display, he feels a need to comment on them.

They're very much like a flower storm, aren't they? Enveloping the village with colours, and making imagination fly.

jagadaishio
2008-03-12, 11:28 PM
Seoni

"They're like a dream in animal form," she says, still smiling as she watches them flutter about. "I suppose that's one of the reasons that they're Desna's symbol."

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-12, 11:38 PM
Vellichek

They DO say certain parts of the world were taken from the dreamscape, so perhaps that is actually truth, he says, broadening the smile. But I am not familiar with the Desna you speak of, due to...uhm...how can I say it... problems with religion earlier in my life. What is the reason for picking a butterfly as a symbol? They seem so...disconnected from such matters as gods or the earth, that I just can't fathom why someone would place them in their shield.

jagadaishio
2008-03-12, 11:58 PM
Seoni

"Well, she isn't really a deity of war. She represents dreams and luck. I think that the luminous wings of swallowtails just reminded someone of the feeling that she is supposed to be a symbol of," Seoni says, explaining her religion casually. "The butterfly shows up a lot in myths about Desna, especially the one about the kind, blind child being transformed into an immortal one."

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-13, 12:16 AM
Vellichek

Interesting, indeed. The symbol is rather fitting, then. Though, that story of the blind child...It somehow annoys me. There's something quite wrong in it, but I don't know what, exactly...but where are my manners? I thank, you, kind maiden, for sparing some of your time to explain this to me. My name is Vellichek. Vellichek Rylle'ye. Could you bless me with the gift of your name?

NeonBlack
2008-03-13, 05:56 AM
Dilekar

If any one of Sandpoint's inhabitants and visitors had for some reason decided to look down during the celebrations, there's a good chance he could have caught a glimpse of an odd sight: a young dark-haired male halfling, wearing what seems to be a child-sized version of the colourful traditional Varisian clothing, looking around with a gaping mouth and a look of wonder in his face. But almost nobody did, since everyone had their attention focused on the speeches and butterflies and music and important people and everything else that happened at the festival. And so, he managed to go almost unnoticed throughout the day, despite his unlikely appearance.

Dilekar was having a blast. He had been roaming around the city for a few days, waiting patiently for the festival to start, and the wait had certainly paid off. He even cried a little when Father Zantus told the story of the boy who became butterfly, remembering the many times his mother had told that same story to him when he was a kid. Aw, come on, he thought, quickly wiping away the tears, it's been only a few weeks and you're already missing them? Such a daring wanderer you are... Besides, they kicked you out, remember? Better get used to this, you're not likely to come back home anytime soon. The revealing of the hidden butterflies did much to cheer him up, and he even joined Sandpoint's kids in their fruitless chase behind the flying pieces of living colour.

Exhausted, Dilekar went to find some food and a place to sit down and relax for a while. After grabbing a plate of chicken wings and some roasted vegetables, and nimbly dodging lots of humans with too much ale in their stomach and not enough attention to avoid stepping on those smaller than them, he finally found a free spot in a table. He sits down noisily, interrupting the Varisian girl with a cheery greeting before she has a chance to answer: "Hey, big guys! Enjoying the festival? Man, those butterflies were awesome, weren't they?". Looking at the others, he finally realizes he may ha been a bit too rash. "Whoops, sorry, did I interrupt something important?", he says, with an innocent smile in his face.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-13, 06:18 AM
Vellichek

Not really, Mr. What does another uninvited guest do to affect the party, anyway? Vellichek affably says, even as his brain is wracked with incredulity.Perhaps someone planted a big "Have space, will share table" sign while I wasn't looking?, he muses, as he gazes at the small halfling. You are right in that, though. This butterflies soothe mind and soul, and their colors make the world a nicer place to live in. Why, this charming young lady here, he says as he points towards the girl, and me had just finished discussing the butterflies.

After he finishes uttering that sentence, Vellichek looks up, to check for signs, just in case. One can never know what happens, and reality is far, far stranger than fiction.

tonberryking
2008-03-13, 10:31 AM
Volt (and Oka)

Ironically, or perhaps, appropriately enough, the one character among the rogues gallery who COULD have shed more insight on the ideals of Desna is nodding off to sleep. An odd, young man, garbed in green and tan colors with a peculiar green scarf wrapped over his head, he was the first one at the table, having already stuffed himself with a few samples of everything, judging by the empty plates stacked up by his resting head on the edge of the table.

Oka the wolf is probably the reason the table was deserted in the first place. Though obviously with the druid, or ranger or whatever the boy is, the sight of a silver and black wolf chewing (almost contentedly) on a large beef bone at his feet wasn't entirely welcoming, though the animal's indifference to anything but his food makes the place a bit safer.

Volt snoozes peacefully throughout the conversation, until one the butterflies unexpectedly comes to rest atop his head on the pin holding his scarf in place: a carved butterfly of wood with a golden finish over its surface.

For only the briefest moment does the delicate thing stay there before fluttering off, yet it causes the druid to stir as if someone lobbed a rock at him.

" *snrk* Guh.. Huh? What's all thi-- Oh! Hello, I didn't notice the table was suddenly shared by so many!" He brightens while rubbing sleep out of his eyes. "Did someone mention butterflies?"

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-13, 10:48 AM
Watching the others as they talked, Vatai quickly shoved the loaf of bread into his pack. Downing his mead in a single gulp, he listened further, taking careful note of each. He remained silent at the one called Vellichek’s question, taking advantage his distracted state.

Interesting.

He then rushes to the nearest stall, filling his plate again, this time with another loaf of bread, along with a massive flank of venison. Ripping into the meat, he looked over at the wolf chewing a bone at his feet. It was a noble animal, not a coyote or a dog. Such a wild creature couldn’t just be a pet… it had to be the companion to a druid. And that meant the sleeping man was one to be respected.

I probably have more in common with the two of you than anyone here.

He takes a chunk of meat and turns to the beast’s owner.

Mind if I give him some of this? My eyes were bigger than my stomach, and that bone is probably getting dry.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-13, 11:38 AM
Vellichek

That doesn't seem like a good idea if you ask me, though aren't doing so. Many animals go wild at the sight of food or when approached by strangers, he says, as he rummages through his pack. Where is the amulet? Someone must have planted an amulet of attraction on my person. Can't explaon such an odd group assembling otherwise.

tonberryking
2008-03-13, 11:39 AM
Volt

"Huh? Oh, sure, Oka and I were going to be roughing it in the woods and on the road soon enough; may as well savor the harvest these good people are offering..."

The druid beams as the wolf in turn glances suspiciously at Vatai.

"So, traveler," the druid adds "What brings you this way?"

jagadaishio
2008-03-13, 03:21 PM
Seoni

Seeing that Vellichek's attention has turned elsewhere, she turns to the apparently Varisian halfling. "I like your clothes," she says, smiling at him. "What's your name?"

NeonBlack
2008-03-13, 04:08 PM
Dilekar

Slightly distracted by the conversation happening at the other side of the table, not to mention the presence of seemingly tame wolf besides one of the humans, Dilekar was caugh off-guard by the Varisian girl. "Oh", he mutters, almost choking on a chicken wing and blushing slightly, "thanks! I got them from the Varisians I've been travelling with until two days ago as a parting gift. They were a nice bunch indeed, reminded me a lot of my childhood days in Magnimar. Name's Dilekar, Dilekar Moonsooth, nice to meet you. And yours?.

jagadaishio
2008-03-13, 04:32 PM
Seoni

"My name's Seoni," she says, conversationally. "I always wanted to travel, but my parents decided to settle down before I was even born. Is it much fun?"

NeonBlack
2008-03-13, 05:20 PM
Dilekar

"Fun? Yeah, it's heaps of fun", Dilekar nods, a serious and concentrated look on his face for the first time since he sat down at the table. "But, it's certainly not for everyone. And sometimes, even if travelling and aventuring and exploring is all you want in this life, you have to make... sacrifices in order to achieve your dreams.". A bitter smile creeps back into his face. "I know about those sacrifices, believe me. Though so far, I must say it's almost been worth the price. And I hope it will only get better from now on.".

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-13, 06:23 PM
Vellichek

Funny you would say that. I'm willing to put my vote on traveling being far, far better than staying at one place, particularly when you've grown up with... Vellichek chokes. Fool. How do you go spreading the facts of your life as if they were rumours? You know how people react to you. Keep your mouth shut, he chastises himself. He then proceeds to another point of the halfling's discourse, olympically skipping the job of finishing up his sentence. I have to agree with you on the other things, though. Nothing worth it was ever obtained free or cheap.

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-13, 10:22 PM
Ka-Tamiir. Means something like wander lust in the common tongue. I was simply drawn here on the winds.
He tosses a large piece of meat to the wolf, hoping to reassure it.
I didn't know there'd be so many... city-folk here. I thought this place was small. I might be moving on soon...

Kyroswolf
2008-03-13, 10:53 PM
Grum

A defining silence fill a small area of the celebration as quite possibly the largest Orc you have ever seen strolls into town. A massive falchion rests in it's scarab on his waist. This is where the typical orc ends as on his face rest a smile to match the rest of his size. As he approaches others you notice that he is kindly introducing himself. Many aren't sure what to think as he approaches your table.

"Hello. Grum's name is Grum. You having party? I like parties. My friend Jack didn't like parties, but other friend Jack did like parties. Jack liked to play with Grum's mirror. I wish I still had Grum's mirror. Oh! Look at all the food."

With the last statement the orc sits in a remaining empty seat, possibly forcing others to make room for him and begins to devour what ever is in front of him.

jagadaishio
2008-03-14, 02:58 PM
Seoni

Raising an eyebrow and giving a small smile at the large, friendly orc breaking the somber mood created by the conversation of travel promising hidden pasts, Seoni says to Grum, "The food here is pretty great, isn't it?"

2008-03-14, 06:42 PM
You all socialize and eat for a time, and finally a sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd -- it appears Father Zantus is ready to consecrate the church. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman's scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises -- high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

Spot checks and initiative rolls, everybody.

Dilekar can recognize the song's language -- it's Goblin.

The Goblin Song:
Goblins chew and Goblins bite.
Goblins cut and Goblins fight.
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and Goblins jump.
Goblins slash and Goblins bump.
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup.
Bonk the head to shut it up.
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We be Goblins! You be food!

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-14, 07:23 PM
Vellichek

Seeing the murders, Vellichek pushes people away from him, and shouts, in a deep, gravelly voice: EVERYONE! GET AWAY FROM HERE! RUN!. As he utters those words, he creates a ring of flames around his person, and approaches the creature. Carefully, he concentrates and attempts to touch it to engulf it in flames.

I wreath myself in flames, and attempt a touch attack. Here go the rolls:

Initiative: 1d20 +1
Spot: [roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
Fire damage: [roll2]
If I am attacked, here's the roll for being damaged by the coat of flames: [roll3]

Also, a Knowledge: Arcane roll if it is pertinent to the creature type, for discovering what it is: [roll4]

Kyroswolf
2008-03-14, 09:09 PM
Doing my rolls first. Will edit in flavor.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Hearing the cries and the dogs yelp, Grum casts about his face one full of a determined child. He draws his falchion, taking it in two hands. "Mother, I'll help them."

jagadaishio
2008-03-14, 09:49 PM
Seoni

Seoni leaps up mid-conversation and looks around for the source of the panic. If she finds the source and it carries a weapon, she shatters the weapon with a single word of dark speech. If it doesn't carry a weapon, she lets loose with a quick blast of eldritch energy.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The shattering is Baleful Utterance, it will automatically sunder a non-magical weapon, the holder must make a DC 15 fortitude save or be dazed for one round and deafened for one minute.

Eldritch Blast:
[roll2] (+1 if within 30 feet)
[roll3] (+1 if within 30 feet)

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-14, 11:03 PM
Init[roll0] Spot [roll1]
Vatai immediately draws his won massive falchion off his back. The sharp blade was not overly heavy, but it was still powerful and quick.

NeonBlack
2008-03-15, 04:45 AM
Oh, come on, not now. We were having fun!. Still with a chicken wing in his mouth, Dilekar stands up, and draws his rapier, looking for the source of the song. 'We be food', huh? Well, you be goblin kebab, as soon as I can find you...

Initiative: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

tonberryking
2008-03-15, 12:38 PM
Using the same initiative for the Druid and wolf, but the spot checks are separate.

Initiative (1d20+3=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528206/)
Spot (1d20+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528207/)
Spot (1d20+2=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528208/)

Volt and Oka

Dropping the food from his mouth (both of them; Volt found he had half a loaf left), druid and companion jump up from the table, the former making a grab for his nearby shield and hefts it onto his arm as the latter gets in front. Both look about for the source of the commotion, yet within this crowded populace, Volt has yet to draw arms; at least not if he can't see what's causing it...

2008-03-15, 03:39 PM
Everyone except Seoni made their spot checks, and they see a goblin licking the blood from its dagger as it crouches near two of its friends. They all get to act in the surprise round.

Volt picks up his shield and Oka steps in front of him.
The goblin that killed the dog continues cleaning its dagger -- it hasn't noticed that some of the people in the crowd are less defenseless than it expects.
Vellichek creates a wreath of fire around himself. He attempts to use it to touch the nearest goblin, but fails.
Dilekar stands up from the table, faces the Goblins and draws his rapier. The goblins you see aren't the source of the song, by the way. Those sound like they're a bit farther away.
Grum draws his blade with a determined look on his face.
The Goblin Vellichek attacked looks up at him, startled by the fire, and tries to stab him. It misses, but hits the fire. [roll0][roll1] The goblin's attack sets it on fire, and it jumps headfirst into a nearby water barrel. Only then does it realize that it's too short to climb out.
Vatai also readies his weapon.
The third goblin sees the wolf and, in keeping with goblin hatred of all furry, four-legged creatures, attacks Oka. [roll2][roll3] It misses.

2008-03-15, 03:45 PM
Since Seoni goes first in the next round anyway, I'll post her action's results now. Now that she sees the source of the commotion, she sunders the dagger of the goblin that attacked Oka. The weapon shatters into many pieces; it didn't look very sturdy in the first place.
[roll0]
The goblin looks down at its dagger -- well, the handle, at any rate -- in shock, paying no attention to the wolf standing directly in front of it.

tonberryking
2008-03-15, 04:50 PM
Volt and Oka

A pause.

Looking from the broken dagger and the impetuous, it doesn't take even a dumb animal, much less a druid's wolf to know what to do. Knowing and doing however seem to be two different things...

Power Attack Attack (1d20+2=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528392/)
Launching himself like a cannon shot, Oka seems to be off his game as his jaws fail to come close, in fact he nearly crashes into a nearby table, leading Volt to wonder how heavily spiced all that food was...

"Attack and make my buddy miss eviscerating your carcass, will you??"

Oh well, it's time to do things yourself. Slinging free his scimitar, the young druid advances on the third goblin and slams the blade home, though loaded and sleepy as he is, it may be only marginally more effective...
Scimitar to the head (1d20+1=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528396/) Damage (1d6+1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1528400/)

NeonBlack
2008-03-15, 07:01 PM
Dilekar

Oh well, first things first.... Dilekar approaches the oblivious goblin, rapier ready in his hand.

Dilekar attacks the goblin that killed the dog (flatfooted, I guess). Provided he can reach it within the round, that is...

Attack:
Damage: [roll]1d4+1d6+2

Kyroswolf
2008-03-15, 07:56 PM
Grum

Upon seeing the gutted dog, Grum's face visibly changes from that of a gentile giant, to a fury filled behemoth. "Was only a puppy. Why kill the puppy!"

The infuriated orc steps to the nearest Goblin, his falchion slicing in front of him. He fully intends to gut the Goblin as it gutted the dog.

Edit: Forgot his rage affected stats. HP 16/16. AC 13
Full Power Attack and Raging.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-15, 08:50 PM
Good job, guys! This last one's mine! Vellichek shouts, as he approaches the remaining gobling. Once again concentrating on the flames, he attempts to set the creature on fire.

Roll for the touch attack: [roll0]
Roll for damage: [roll1]
Roll for damage from the coat of flames: [roll2]

If Seoni doesn't off the last critter, I probably will.

jagadaishio
2008-03-15, 09:45 PM
If Seoni doesn't off the last critter, I probably will.

Seoni's actions for the round have already been taken up by the actions from the first round that she didn't get to carry out because she failed her spot check.

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-17, 02:14 AM
Vatai makes a dash, his speed adding force to his blade's slice at the goblin who Vellichek is attacking with flames. He swings the razor with both hands, attempting to sever the beast's head.
You little mongrels are DEAD!!!
[roll0] with a +2 for Charging, [roll1] to hurt it.

2008-03-17, 08:46 PM
Volt and Oka both attack the disarmed goblin and both somehow miss.
The Goblin that killed the dog looks up and, seeing the human that killed its ally, attacks. [roll0] [roll1] Unfortunately for it, it hasn't realized that attacking its flaming foe will leave it with its friend's fate. [roll2] The pain from the fire causes it to pass out.
Dilekar attacks and misses the disarmed goblin.
An infuriated Grum then steps up behind his oblivious prey, raises his falchion, and kills it with one stroke.
(Vellichek takes 3 points of damage, but the goblin that attacked him burns itself and is unconscious.)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-18, 12:20 PM
There were only three goblins, right? If not, this post comes later, or is scrapped.

Vellichek

Aaah. The sweet taste of victory in my mouth. Well done, friend....AAAGH! Vellichek says, as he clutches his wounds. Aaaaagh! It hurts! Turning toward his tablemates, he asks I don't suppose any of you knows how to heal wounds, right? But it doesn't matter. For now. Walking towards the barrel of water, Vellichek prepares himself to take the goblin out of the barrel. Carefully, he pushes the flames back, but still keeps them on, so as not to expose himself to an attack. Then, he proceeds to grab the creature by the neck and grabs the other goblin with his remaining hand. Turning towards the townsfolk who have not fled, he asks:

I'm sorry, but could someone guide us to a room and get us some rope? I'm injured, and I want to question this goblins. Also, does naybody here speak Goblinese?

2008-03-18, 01:04 PM
Father Zantus, who was treating the wounded, notices your captured goblins and wound.

Ah, you're injured. Let me heal that. And he heals Vellichek's wound. And you've captured some prisoners. Looks like we'll get some answers now. Then he looks over your shoulder and his eyes grow wide. You follow his gaze and see that five goblins, one of which is one of the singers, have found the fuel the town intended to use for a bonfire after the festival and have set it to blazing. They begin making torches to use as weapons.

But it appears you have more pressing matters to attend to. Go, before the town burns to ash! I'll secure the prisoners and continue treating the wounded.

NeonBlack
2008-03-18, 01:46 PM
Dilekar

Interrupted as he approached Father Zantus in order to help interrogate the prisoners, Delikar turns around and mutters a curse at the sight of the torch-wielding goblins. Goblins and fire. The best combination if you want uncontrolled destruction and mayhem. This is gonna be ugly.

It would be nice to know at which distance the goblins are right now. If they're relatively close (0-40 ft), Dilekar will approach up to 20 ft, rapier in hand. If he can reach the nearest goblin with that movement, he'll engage in melee. If not, he'll ready an attack action, triggered as soon as a goblin enters one of his threatened squares. In any case, Attack: [roll0], Damage: [roll1].

If they're farther away, he'll sheathe the rapier and draw his shortbow, and that's it for this round.

Kyroswolf
2008-03-18, 02:51 PM
Never tiring in his anger Grum charges the remaining goblins. "DO NOT HARM GRUM'S NEW FRIENDS!!!"

Rage 1 of 7 rounds spent
AC 13 HP 16/16
Charge action on the nearest Goblin AC now 11 until next round.
[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC: family emergency came up do not expect anything for rest of day and tomorrow.

jagadaishio
2008-03-18, 03:25 PM
Seoni

Seoni looks to see if the singer has any weapons or major tools (wands, shield, etc) drawn. If it does, she sunders it with another word of dark speech, hoping to deafen the singer with the magic. If the singer doesn't have anything like that drawn, she targets the weapon of one of the other goblins.

Same magic as before, DC 15 Fort save or else be dazed and deafened.

2008-03-18, 04:34 PM
Seoni

Seoni looks to see if the singer has any weapons or major tools (wands, shield, etc) drawn. If it does, she sunders it with another word of dark speech, hoping to deafen the singer with the magic. If the singer doesn't have anything like that drawn, she targets the weapon of one of the other goblins.

Same magic as before, DC 15 Fort save or else be dazed and deafened.

The singer has a whip in one hand and a dagger in the other. Which would you rather sunder?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-18, 05:47 PM
Vellichek

Aaah, more of those despicable creatures. Then, let's make them taste cleansing fire.

And with that, Vellichek, rushes, right into the group of goblins, as he shouts: Back me up, people! I'll draw the fire, you waste this fools!

Do we need to roll a new init for this battle? Also, how many goblins are actually armed and how many have simple torches? And finally, how far are they? If the leader is at 60 feet or less, I charge him and do a touch attack. Else, I take a Run action to move up to four times my move speed to get close to the goblins that are wielding torches, hoping to provoke AoO's.

And here is init: [roll0]
My attack roll if I can charge: [roll1]
A roll for threatening if I roll a twenty: [roll2]
The touch attack damage roll: [roll3]
The damage from the wreath of fire: [roll4]
Also, if anyone attempts to attack me with torches and does not critical and roll at least one 5 and a 6, the damage is voided, because I have fire resistance 10 from binding Aym.
And remember that, if I can charge, I take -2 to AC.

jagadaishio
2008-03-18, 06:45 PM
;4074169']The singer has a whip in one hand and a dagger in the other. Which would you rather sunder?

Seoni would go for the whip, then try again on the dagger if that doesn't deafen the singer.

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-18, 08:42 PM
Without a word Vatai dashes onto the next enemy, never breaking stride. He simply shifts his falchion to a tighter grip and rushes headlong at the nearest goblin minion, hoping to slice it through.
Play it again, Sam. [roll0] With Charge and [roll1]

2008-03-20, 01:39 PM
While we're waiting for our last action, here's a picture I found on Paizo's site that, though not intended for this encounter, illustrates it pretty well:

http://paizo.com/image/content/PathfinderChronicles/PZO1107-GoblinFireBrigade.jpg

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-20, 02:09 PM
Boy, we just need pics of the heroes and we would be done. Though I think we should put this kinds of things in the OOC so as to easily check what happening in combat.

2008-03-21, 02:23 PM
((Since Tonberryking still hasn't posted, I'm going to take Volt and Oka's actions for this round. We need to move combat scenes along since they can take a long time in forum games.))

Seoni sunders the singing goblin's whip. [roll0]

Volt and Oka each take a double move to reach the goblins.

The singer, dazed and deafened, stops singing and looks around, confused.

Vellichek charges the singer and grabs it. It takes a moment to pull away and the fire hurts it greatly, but it's still standing. Two goblins attack him as he passes them, each hurting itself slightly, but not very badly. Their torch attacks don't even damage the already-burning Vellichek.

Dilekar, seeing his chance, steps up to one of the goblins which burned itself on Vellichek and plants his rapier in its chest. The goblin is killed instantly.

Seeing their dead companion, the three remaining goblins realize that the fight is for real and drop their torches, draw their daggers, and move closer to their injured leader.

One isn't fast enough, though. Grum charges and decapitates it.

Vatai then charges at one of the remaining goblins but misses.

tonberryking
2008-03-21, 10:10 PM
[I defer to the move; it's a rough week ahead of me, so if this happens again it may be for the best. But for now, in the next round...]

Volt and Oka

Approaching the oncoming gobliniods with haste, Volt's hands go through spell casting motions, as Oka crouches for an attack. A weak greenish light washes over the lupine bruiser, who takes this as his cue to launch at the closest, most threatening gobbo of the bunch before them. Thinking that the best way to get rid of a fire is its source, the druid has prepared Oka to keep safer against the flames.

Volt's casting Resistance directly on Oka, so unless spell-share works both ways it's just for the wolf. He (Oka) will follow up with Power Attack again: Power Attack (-2 hit, +2 damage) (1d20+1=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1534488/) ....Fiddle dee dee, we're not very good at this...

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-21, 10:27 PM
Vellichek

You guys hold off the other goblins! This one's mine! Vellichek says, concentrating again on the flames, determined to burn the goblin leader to a crisp. This time, you're going down.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Confirmation roll: [roll1]
Damage roll: [roll2]
Retaliatory fire: [roll3]

jagadaishio
2008-03-21, 11:46 PM
Seoni

Seoni brings her hands up and pulls her hands back, palms facing the goblins. Pushing her hands flat again, parallel to the ground and fingers splayed, straightened towards the goblins. A loud crack rings out as she makes the swift motion with her hands, and the air seems to twist in a line between her and one of the burnt goblins.

Eldritch Blast (ranged touch)
[roll0] (if the goblin is within 30 ft, +1)
[roll1] (if the goblin is within 30 ft, +1)
[roll2] (if the goblin is within 30 ft, +1 damage)

NeonBlack
2008-03-22, 04:54 AM
Dilekar

'Woo, take that!', shouts Dilekar at the fallen foe. Pausing for a second to observe the battlefield, he tries to make good use of his superior agility, dodging goblins until he reaches the best position for his next strike.

Tumblin' time. Dilekar will try to move to a position where he can flank the goblin engaged by Oka. Some Tumble rolls just in case they're needed: [roll0] [roll1] [roll2]. Once there, stab!

Attack: [roll3] (+2 for flanking)
Crit confirmation: [roll4] (just in case)
Damage: [roll5]
Crit Damage: [roll6]
Sneak Attack Damage: [roll7]

2008-03-22, 01:08 PM
((Note: All actions except for Grum's and Vatai's are in, and they're the last two in initiative order. This post is all of the actions preceding theirs.))

A loud crack rings out as Seoni makes a swift motion with her hands, and the air seems to twist in a line between her and a point about five inches to the left of one of the burnt goblins.

Volt then casts a spell on Oka, who then fails to damage a goblin.

Almost at the same instant, the Warchanter attacks Vellichek as Vellichek grabs it. [roll0] [roll1] It barely hits Vellichek, doing only 1 damage, but it burns itself badly and faints.

Dilekar then stabs the ground next to a goblin with his rapier.

Noticing that the warchanter, who was much stronger than either of them, is defeated, the two goblins turn and begin to flee.

Kyroswolf
2008-03-22, 04:50 PM
Grum

Still fully encompassed in his anger, Grum pursues the goblins. His chase continuing until he reaches the edge of town.

If he catches one of the goblins, use the attack below. Otherwise he will stop at the edge of town and return to the group.
[roll0]
[roll1]

jagadaishio
2008-03-22, 05:03 PM
Seoni

Seoni makes a move towards the fleeing goblins and lets rip with another crack of her magic, hoping to take down the one she missed before. "Make sure the leader doesn't die," she says after the crack rings out. "It will probably know more than any of the others."

Move action towards the fleeing goblins, eldritch blast.
[roll0] (+1 if within 30ft)
[roll1] (+1 if within 30ft)
[roll2] (+1 if within 30ft)

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-22, 08:50 PM
Vatai charges a remaining goblin, trying atleast to wipe out a survivor.
[roll0] to hit, [roll1] crit confirm, [roll2] damage, maybe x2.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-23, 11:37 AM
Vellichek

Unable to resist the temptation of employing some dramatic flair, Vellichek take out his quarterstaff. Spinning it above his head, he shouts a resounding YES! Victory! as the coat of flames circles the spinning staff.

His common sense returning to him, Vellichek picks up the unconscious leader. Now, people, what d'you say about finding a nice, comfy place to interrogate this guys, and someone who can speak Goblinese?

2008-03-23, 01:21 PM
((I'm noticing a misunderstanding. I never said that the warchanter was leading the entire raid, just that small squad))

Both Grum and Vatai are unable to catch the fleeing goblins (don't worry; you still get their XP).

You notice that the majority of the raid is over. Almost everyone -- citizens and Goblins alike, has fled the festival and although you can hear occasional sounds of battle elsewhere in the city, the fighting seems to mostly be over.

And you might want to stabilize the warchanter if you want to interrogate it; it's dying at -8 HP.

jagadaishio
2008-03-23, 03:05 PM
Seoni

Seeing that the chanter is bleeding out, Seoni dashes over and tries to stabilize it.

[roll0]

2008-03-23, 03:22 PM
Seoni isn't quite successful, but if any of the other characters want to use aid another, it'll only be DC 10 to bump that up to a success at 15.

NeonBlack
2008-03-23, 05:05 PM
Dilekar

'Here, let me give you a hand, Seoni'. Dilekar kneels beside the fallen warchanter, and tries to help stop the bleeding. 'Not that I know much about treating wounds, but I'm really willing to have a long chat with this fellow. Let's see if those Goblin lessons pay off...'.

Go, go, Heal check without ranks and/or relevant bonuses! [roll0]

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-23, 09:17 PM
Lot of effort to save a mongrel.
Vatai keeps his blade ready, atleast till the sounds of battle stop.
He better know something good.

tonberryking
2008-03-24, 11:22 PM
(Wait, I'm a bit confused-- due to chronic forum outage and progression-- the battle's over and druid boy here could assist with the healing, right?)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-25, 06:54 AM
Yes, indeed. That is correct.

Kyroswolf
2008-03-25, 08:06 AM
Grum

Grum walks back to the rest of the group. He appears tired from his exertions, the flat of his blade now resting on his shoulder. He keeps quiet, though he can be heard muttering, "Why have to kill doggie?"

tonberryking
2008-03-25, 08:09 PM
Heal check (1d20+8=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1538091/)

Volt

As his lupine companion sulks for lack of fighting prowess, the druid spies what the others are trying to stabilize and hurries over to them, hastily sheathing scimitar and hanging up shield.

"Here, here, let me have a look; if we're going to keep him alive for interrogation, let me make sure death won't keep him less talkative...

2008-03-29, 08:54 AM
Having stopped the prisoners bleeding, you assume the action is over . . . until you hear a scream coming from the town's north gate, about 300 feet up church street.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-29, 10:26 AM
Vellichek

Bloody persistent, this goblins. Someone, carry that goblin with us. I'll go first, with this fires, I doubt any goblin can do much to me. With that, Vellichek starts running in the direction the scream came from.

[INUH], how much XP do we get from this goblins?

jagadaishio
2008-03-29, 10:48 AM
Seoni

After hearing the scream, and seeing that the goblin is stable, Seoni jumps up and starts sprinting towards the direction that the yell came from.

2008-03-29, 01:21 PM
[INUH], how much XP do we get from this goblins?

You each get 100 XP for those goblins.

NeonBlack
2008-03-29, 02:35 PM
Dilekar

"Darn it, not again. What's this, someone wrote a letter to the king of Goblinland inviting him to the party and asking him to tell all his friends to come, or what?". With a last look at the fallen warchanter (and hoping he will still be there when they come back), Dilekar sprints behind the rest, trying to keep up.

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-30, 11:36 PM
Vatai races ahead of the group, hoping to score a kill and slake his blood lust. The battle had been too short for his liking.

Kyroswolf
2008-03-31, 03:45 PM
Grum

Hearing a mention of carrying the goblin, Grum sheaths his falchion, hosts the creature over his shoulder and hurries after the group. "Don't leave Grum. I like flamey man."

2008-03-31, 08:58 PM
I'm going to assume that all characters go to the source of the screaming, even though you haven't all posted.

In front of the White Deer Inn just inside the town's Northeast gate, a Goblin commando mounted on a Goblin Dog (Goblins all hate dogs and horses, so they use these hairless, mangy, rat-like alternatives) has just attacked a noble and his dog. The noble cowers in fear behind a rain barrel where he calls for help as the commando delivers a killing blow. Four additional goblins look on and shout support to the goblin who is obviously the raid's leader.

The goblins are still distracted, so you can all act in the surprise round. Roll initiative.

purepolarpanzer
2008-03-31, 10:20 PM
Init [roll0]
More dogs to kill. Don't these currs ever learn?
Vatai smiles as he readies his blade.

jagadaishio
2008-03-31, 11:26 PM
Seoni

Seoni runs to the scene and immediately cries out a dark word, shattering the mounted goblin's weapon.

[roll0]
Same saves against the same effects as before.

NeonBlack
2008-04-01, 03:44 AM
Dilekar

Still panting after the long run, Dilekar maneuvers to the side, trying to catch the back of the foot Goblin soldiers.

Init: [roll0]. Dilekar will move towards the closest of the four gobbos in the surprise round, hoping to get a sneak attack next round

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-01, 07:00 AM
Vellichek

Psht. This guys are so stupid. They never change tactics! Vellichek thinks as he charges towards the goblins, the flames forming a shield in front of him. As he approaches the rider, he shouts: I scream, you scream, we all scream for THIS! And attempts to torch him with his flames.

Init: [roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
Confirmation: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Retaliatory flames: [roll4]
If I crit, can we just double the damage? Also, points to anyone who gets the reference.

Kyroswolf
2008-04-01, 08:10 AM
Grum

The simpleton Orc rounds the corner still carrying the warsinger. Upon seeing the visage before him, he drops the goblin. He quickly follows the others into combat, charging the nearest goblin as he draws his falchion.

[roll0]
[roll1] (+2 for charge included. AC 13 until next round.
[roll2] (+2 from Power Attack)
[roll3]
[roll4]
Went ahead with my crit rolls so I probably won't get it.

tonberryking
2008-04-01, 09:21 PM
Initiative! (1d20+3=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1547340/)

Volt and Oka

Late in returning to the action, the druid and companion see an injustice and apparently considering the goblin and dog their opposite, get ready to take them on. Volt reaches back and from his belt pulls an odd, four bladed instrument in the shape of a star and follows Oka from a distance.

Okay, Volt's getting ready to chuck that knife, as Oka moves as far as he can towards the Goblin dog

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-02, 08:11 AM
Vatai dashes foreword, his almost unnatural speed propelling him foreword like a bullet. His brow knits, his face contorts, and his eyes almost seem to spark with flame as he summons up the storms inside of him. Holding the falchion as an extension of himself, he whips it around like a hurricane slice at the goblin leader, hoping to scatter the wretches with the death of their leader.

Die, you filth!

Raging Charge Attack [roll0] Crit Confirm [roll1] Damage [roll2] x2 if crit. AC 10 for one round. Raging for up to 8 rounds.

2008-04-03, 05:17 PM
Vatai charges and barely misses the mounted goblin.

Dilekar walks up behind the four other goblins, who haven't yet noticed him.

Grum follows Vatai's lead, but is also unable to hit his target.

Vellichek, though, doesn't miss with his flames, giving it a non-fatal, but still very painful-looking burn

Seoni sunders the commando's weapon. [roll0] The spear in its hand breaks, but it seems more shaken from being taken by surprise than by the breaking.

Volt prepares to throw a knife, while Oka moves toward the goblin dog.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-03, 08:22 PM
Vellichek

Spinning his flames around Vellichek starts to sing a warchant, as his flames try to burn the commando again. I'm the rolling thunder, I'm the pouring rain. I'm coming down like a hurricane.

Time to finish my goblin friend off.

Attack roll: (1d20+1) [16]
Confirmation: (1d20+1) [6]
Damage: (1d6) [6]
Critical damage: (1d6) [3]
Retaliatory flames: (1d6) [4]

jagadaishio
2008-04-03, 10:10 PM
Seoni

Seoni continues sundering the goblins' weapons, choosing the armed goblin closest to her as her next target.

OOC:
Was the killing blow which we arrived during dealt to the noble or his dog?

NeonBlack
2008-04-04, 12:13 AM
Dilekar

Without a sound, the halfling thrusts his rapier, trying to skewer the unaware goblin.

Here we go:

Attack: [roll0]
Crit Conf: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Crit Dam: [roll3]
Sneak At. Dam: [roll4]

PS: Hell's Bells, woo

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-04, 12:45 AM
Vatai takes a single step before whipping the blade at the rider again, trying to take the goblin's head off it's shoulders with a well placed cut. His face is a mask of rage and power as he continues to spin like a deadly top.
Taking a 5 ft around the gobbo dog to make room from Grum to flank. Also, ATTACK. Law of probability says that eventually I hit... let's see if this post follows the law. Rage is now at 7 rounds, To hit [roll0] and confirm if needed [roll1] and damage, x2 if crit [roll2] Die already. Oh and AC 13. My mistake before.

Kyroswolf
2008-04-04, 07:33 AM
Grum

Grum swings at the nearest standing goblin, he only moves if he needs to close on a goblin. Light reflects off the blood stained falchion as he brings the blade down in a deadly arc.

Sorry but Grum is not a "smart" fighter. I'd love to have him intentionally move for a flank, but he just isn't aware of the bonuses that gives him.

[roll0] -1 for Power Attack included
[roll1] +2 for Power Attack included

2008-04-05, 03:58 PM
((Sorry I wasn't specific -- the goblin killed the noble's dog. The noble is still cowering behind a water barrel))

Vatai attacks and hits the rider hard, chopping its head off completely.

Dilekar manages to knock out a goblin with a well-placed stab wound.

Grum's attack misses the commando's headless corpse as it falls over, but hits its mount instead, killing it.

Two of the goblins that were standing near the one Dilekar killed both attack him. [roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] Dilekar is hit by one stab, taking 2 damage.

Vellichek grabs a goblins face, causing it to pass out from burns.

Seoni sunders one of Dilekar's assailants' knives. [roll4] The goblin is deafened and stunned.

Volt and Oka are at the bottom of initiative order, so they'll just go first next round.

NeonBlack
2008-04-05, 04:43 PM
Dilekar

"Ow! That stings!". Dilekar reels from the hit, but then is surprised by the sudden destruction of his foe's weapon. Seeing the stunned appearence of his foe, he takes his chance and strikes again.

Attacking the stunned gobbo. Free sneak attacks are always nice.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit: [roll1]
Crit Dam: [roll3]
Sneak Dam: [roll4]

Kyroswolf
2008-04-05, 08:06 PM
Grum

Following the actions of his companions, Grum moves to the nearest gobo and swings again.

[roll0] -1 for Power Attack included
[roll1] +2 for Power Attack included

jagadaishio
2008-04-05, 11:34 PM
Seoni

Seoni turns her attention to the (last?) goblin still standing with a weapon, the other of Dilekar's assailants, and decides to remove his weapon as well.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-06, 11:24 AM
Vellichek

Turning towards the last goblin, Vellichek decides to repeat the oft-successful strategy. Turning towards the remaining goblin, he cleches his fist and attempts to strike a flaming blow, as he softly says You've tried to run, and you've tried to hide. Now, let me break you through to the other side.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Confirmation: [roll1]
Critical: [roll3]
Retaliatory: [roll4]

tonberryking
2008-04-06, 07:35 PM
Volt and Oka

Star Knife Attack (1d20+3=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1553456/) Yaaay~ Progress! Star Knife Damage (1d4+3=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1553457/) ...Kinda!
Another Power Attack (-1) (1d20+2=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1553458/) MORE PROGRESS!
PA Damage(+1) (1d6+2=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1553462/) I hope there's something left to kill with these kind of rolls.

Volt and Oka round on the last goblin (hopefully who hasn't died); druid moving in closer before he chucks the spinning blades into the brute, only for the wolfish brute to slam his fangs into the things throat.

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-06, 10:01 PM
Vatai will immediately rush another target, his steel flashing as he moves full speed. His circling, slicing blade whips through the air, whistling slightly, as he attacks.
Same deal, charge n slice. [roll0] to hit, [roll1] confirm, [roll2] damage, x2 if crit. 11 AC for one round.

2008-04-07, 04:22 PM
Volt throws a starknife into a goblin, distracting it enough for Oka to rip its throat out.

Vatai then sends another goblin to the same fate as its leader.

The noble who was still cowering behind the water barrel, seeing that the goblins are all dead, gets up and approaches Vatai, still shaking slightly. Wow. You saved me. That was excellent fighting. I'm Aldern Foxglove, by the way. He looks around at the group. Who are you?

jagadaishio
2008-04-07, 06:55 PM
Seoni

"My name is Seoni," she says, giving him a smile and a small wave. "I live here in town. Did you see any other goblins around here? We want to make sure everything is safe."

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-07, 08:48 PM
It was everyone, not just me...
Vatai wipes his blade on a goblin, scouring their foul blood from the weapon.
I am Vatai Ka-Tamiir, of the Tamiir Quah.
Not used to introductions, Vatai leaves it at that.

Kyroswolf
2008-04-07, 09:29 PM
Grum

Mimicking Vatai's actions, Grum wipes his blade on a dead goblin. The fresh blood wipes away, but their remains the dried stains of it's previous victims. "Hello, Mr. Foxglove. Grum's name is Grum. I am not from here. I like this town though. I might stay here if it suits Grum." The large orc extends his hand after sheathing his blade.

NeonBlack
2008-04-08, 04:04 AM
Dilekar

Approaching the nobleman, Dilekar extends his hand, before noticing the blood dripping from his wound down his arm and right into his fingers. Quickly putting it away, Dilekar instead bows slightly before introducing himself. "I'm Dilekar Moonsoth, a traveller from Magnimar. Pleased to meet you. Oh, and sorry about your dog, he seemed like a fine beast. Glad we could help". Turning to the rest of the group, he adds: "Say, guys, what if we pick up our sleepy goblin friend there and head back to Father Zantus for some interrogation? And I think I could use a bandage or two...".

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-08, 06:42 AM
Vellichek

Excellent idea, Dilekar. We should go back to the central square. I have a feeling there's a lot of mayhem going on there. Milord, do you know of any safe place where you can hide? We'll escort you to it, if it's not too far away, Vellichek says, as he douses his flames.

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-08, 06:54 AM
Vatai

Would the healer's touch not be better used on the wounded than this filth?
Vatai glared at the bundled goblin, his eyes clearly showing his intentions for when the thing was of no use to them.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-08, 09:10 AM
Vellichek

Yeah. And wait 'till another attack offs us. I much prefer knowing who is hitting this palce and why, and then bringing the fight to him. It pains me to think of the wounded dieing, but suffering another attack is worse, Vellichek sarcastically says.

tonberryking
2008-04-08, 09:49 AM
"Don't worry about those wounds, fella, Volt offers to Dilekar while with surprising casualness tugs the hilt in the dead goblin's body a few times to get that star-knife back; it seems pretty stuck (even Oka doesn't pay this much attention to the felled foe; from the look on his face, he hates the taste of goblin), "I got something to take care of that in the mean time..."

2008-04-08, 05:07 PM
Nice to meet you all. Aldern looks around, and as you follow his gaze, it's clear that most of the goblins are dead or captured, by either your hand, that of the town guard, or their own stupidity. I'm staying at the Rusty Dragon inn. I don't think there's still need for you to escort me, but if you'd stop by sometime, I'd like to meet and properly reward the people who saved my life. For now, though, you should probably take that prisoner back to the church. I'm sure Sheriff Hemlock will want to have a talk with it. Good luck!

And he walks off toward the south side of Sandpoint.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-08, 05:42 PM
Vellichek

Well, to see our old friend the Constable our job now is, then. Shall we get going, people? Vellichek says. Then, he starts walking towards the church, making the concentrated ball of fire that was previously body encompassing circle his head like a Ioun stone.

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-08, 10:20 PM
If this goblin even knows anything, it will be of little consequence. Goblins are never hard to find, and even easier to torture.
Vatai holds his falchion in a single hand, not ready to swing but ready to fight, if the need arises. He never trusted the security of Sand Point, and with goblins running amok so easily he trusts it even less.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-09, 10:23 AM
Vellichek

No torture, Vellichek says as he turns around, dead serious, to face Vatai. Certainly not on my watch. I've gone through a fair share of what you could call torture, and if anyone's going to interrogate the goblin, it's going to be me.

Kyroswolf
2008-04-09, 11:57 AM
Grum

Grum walks back to the unconscious goblin and gives it a good swift kick to the ribs to make sure it stays unconscious. He then tosses it's limp body back over his shoulder before hurrying to catch up to the others. "Don't forget Grum, flamey man. How you make fire? Does it hurt? How hot is it? Can you teach Grum to make flame?"

Grum's questions appear to have no end as he follows Vellichek to the church.

jagadaishio
2008-04-09, 03:27 PM
Seoni

As Seoni walks back to the new church, she tries to not look too hard at the bodies on the ground, goblin or otherwise. They unsettled her. She wondered to herself if there would be a mass funeral, and when it would be.

2008-04-09, 05:32 PM
As you arrive at the church, Father Zantus and a tall Shoanti man are waiting for you. Father Zantus points your group out out, saying, Here are the heroes I was just telling you about. Without their help, I'm not sure the raid would have turned out so well. Now addressing you, he says, Sheriff Hemlock here just finished interrogating the goblins you captured.

The sheriff adds, Not that it did any good. All these goblins know or care about is that they were told to kill everybody in town and burn the place down. Then, spotting the unconscious warchanter, he says, But it appears you've captured a higher-ranking one. Maybe it can tell us a bit more.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-09, 06:13 PM
Vellichek

Then, we'll need the head of a dead goblin, and I'll get some information out of him. I'd prefer to supervise it, since some people, he says as he glares at Vatai, Are a bit too keen on the painfully direct methods.

Good thing I've ranks in social skills. Let's see what ranks in Bluff and diplo get us, shall we?

jagadaishio
2008-04-09, 09:49 PM
Seoni

"Wh... What?" asks Seoni, surprised by the sudden need of a severed goblin head. "Couldn't we just let the sheriff interrogate the chanter? He did get the other one to tell everything that it did, or rather didn't, know."

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-10, 07:13 AM
Vellichek

Simple, Seoni. Fear is a strong motivation to confess, and it spares us of the painful job of physically harming the goblin. I intend to convince him that I can drill into his mind and leave him a gibbering wreck if he doesn't confess, using the head of the other goblin as a bridge or focus. And, since he probably remembers how I tried to scorch him, that should lend credibility to the idea. It'll probably be faster than the standard procedure of grilling the guy with questions until he breaks down. So, anybody can get me a head?

Kyroswolf
2008-04-10, 07:50 AM
Grum

Hearing the request for a head Grum drops the warchanter. "I can get head." He draws his blade and runs back outside of the church. Apparently he either understood the warchanter had to be alive, or in his excitement to satisfy Vellichek, forgot about it. A few moments later Grum returns with not one but several goblin heads, fresh blood once again on his blade. "Is this enough for Flamey Man?"

Sorry couldn't resist the innuendo on the I can get head comment.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-10, 08:47 AM
Vellichek

Vellichek is speechless for a few seconds before a big smile dawns on his face. Thanks, Grum. These should suffice, he says as he pats him on the back. Well, now we have a nice tool for me to do the job, shall we find a suitable place to do the interogation?

NeonBlack
2008-04-10, 08:52 AM
Dilekar

Dilekar giggles openly at Grum's delivery. Heh, this guy really likes to do things BIG. He then turns to Vellichek. "I can give you a hand with the translation, if you need it.".

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-10, 09:19 AM
Vellichek

That would be EXCELLENT, Dilekar. No use threatening someone if they can't understand you. I hope you can look scary, though.

jagadaishio
2008-04-10, 02:10 PM
Seoni

Seoni looks mildly queasy at the sight of the dangling heads. "I'll just... I'll stay out here with the priest," says Seoni, looking for a place to sit. "I hope that the chanter knows more than the other one did..."

2008-04-10, 04:19 PM
Sheriff Hemlock takes you and the prisoner into a side room, where he ties the goblin to a chair. When it wakes up, he says, Let's start with the easy questions. Do you speak common?

The goblin, clearly confused and slightly frightened, says (in common) Talk little common not good.

Hemlock then turns to the PCs who followed him in and says Well, that's convenient. We've got a lot of questions. What do you think we should start with?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-10, 04:33 PM
Vellichek

You speak common? Good, good, my pal. Here, let me make things more comfortable, Vellichek says in a conversational tone, as he unties he goblin.

Now, you can speak in goblin if you want. Our friend here, he points to Dilekar, Can translate.

Seating in front of the goblin, he asks him: You remember me, right? I'm the guy who tried to scorch you. I'm sorry about that, buddy, but business is business, he says, as he makes flames appear above his head, with just enough heat to be noticed by the Goblin's senses.

Now, my small friend, we can make things easy, or hard. If you answer some questions truthfully, we'll let you go, and will make sure you are not harmed by the townspeople. Now, the first question is: Who sent you guys here?

Of course, that, and much more, can be summed up in either a Bluff or Diplomacy roll, as you deem necessary:

Diplo: [roll0]
Bluff: [roll1]

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-10, 04:46 PM
(sorry I'm late to the party)
Vatai lets a small smile cross his lips when he sees the Shoanti man, and nods to him.
It seems I am not alone among the city folk.
However, the goblin interrogation is too pressing for him to stop and talk. Vatai follows, and stands back, until Vellichek unties the little monster. His eye brows raised, Vatai immediately slides behind the beast in the chair, his hand on his weapon as it remains sheathed across his back. If it makes a move, he fully intends to remove its head from its body.
It is foolish to gather information this way. Why make your enemy comfortable when you can make him tell you what you want so much faster with a broken finger or a broken tooth?
His eyes grow fierce as he glares down at the goblin, watching intently.

2008-04-10, 06:35 PM
The Goblin glances nervously at Vatai, then says One of you longshanks (a goblin term for any human-sized humanoid) ordered attack. Don't remember name. Say he want us for . . . what's word? Kind of trick . . . destruction? No, that wrong word . . . Want us get your attention. He go on secret mission in town graveyard while we raid.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-10, 06:54 PM
Vellichek

A bluff or gambit? Interesting. Sheriff, guard our friend and treat him well. We'll check it out. If you're telling the truth, you'll be free when we return, buddy.

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-10, 08:35 PM
Vatai turns to Hemlock and speaks in Shoanti in a calm, measured voice.
Shoanti
I expect that, when the time comes, you will know that this mongrel isn't worth releasing. The only thing his kind have ever earned is a swift death.
He then moves away from the goblin.
We should leave now. If his mission was during the raid, he may have already left.

2008-04-10, 08:59 PM
Hemlock, looking thoughtful at Vatai's words, but showing no reaction beyond that, says: We're in luck. This room exits directly to the graveyard. He gestures to a door opposite the one you entered.

Then, looking back at the door you entered, behind which Seoni, Zantus and presumably Volt and Oka remain, adds, But you might want to bring the rest of your group. If anybody's still there, there could be trouble. The priest can come along too, in case anybody needs healing.

((I've added a map of Sandpoint to the OOC thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4176446#post4176446)))

NeonBlack
2008-04-11, 03:33 AM
Dilekar

Slightly disappointed about the lack of need for his linguistic skills, Dilekar seems lost in thought for most of the interrogation, only barely hearing the key part of the goblin's response. Well, that was your first battle. Happy now? You said you wanted new experiences, exciting adventures, and you got 'em. Be happy that you got through it with only a scratch on your arm. And next time, be careful what you wish for. Like, *really* careful.

He snaps back into reality when the word "healing" manages to get through his dulled senses. "Oh, yeah. Healing. I need that. Let me check if Volt or Father Zantus can give me a hand with this cut, and I'm ready to go.". Dilekar exits the room, looking for the others, still thinking. And if I could remember WHERE are we supposed to go... I think the goblin said something about a graveyard? Ick. Put that one on the "new things you really didn't want to experience, honest" list. Sigh.

Inner dialog FTW. Also, too bad I missed the interrogation posts, I wanted Dilekar to play some good cop/bad cop with Vellichek and the goblin. Oh well, next time :smalltongue:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-11, 10:01 AM
Vellichek

Talk about being in luck. Thanks, Sheriff, the binder says as he walks back to inform the other members of the group about the news. Once that's done, he gets healed by Father Zantus, and proceeds to march towards the graveyard, in fron of the rest of the group, flame once again surrounding his body.

jagadaishio
2008-04-12, 01:16 PM
Seoni

When she is told about the results of the interrogation, Seoni follows Vellichek out to the graveyard. I've been meaning to visit my parents there anyway. I'll stop in on them if the person has already left.

2008-04-13, 04:47 PM
As you exit the church, it's clear that whoever was in the graveyard has gone. However, it's fairly obvious what they were doing here; near the door into the church is a freshly emptied grave. The tombstone reveals that the grave once held the body of the late Ezakien Tobyn.

Looking down at the grave, Father Zantus seems both confused and worried. Why would anybody want to steal Ezakien's body? And staging a raid just so they could do it in secret . . . confusing. Maybe Hemlock will have an idea.

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-13, 05:05 PM
Vatia feels the bare earth, frowining.
Their is some mischief to this... dark magic of some kind. Why this particular body? Why use the goblins to cover your tracks?
He follows the group, staying silent to hsi own thoughts after this, but watches Hemlock with interest when they later ask him.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-13, 05:12 PM
Vellichek
While I'm as puzzled as everyone else by this, I think I can guess fairly accurrately WHY would somebody steal the corpse.

The first reason would be because this man knew something important and the gravedigger is going to speak with him via a spell.

The second would be that he was buried with something of importance to the gravedigger.

And the third one is that truly foul and uncommon magic is afoot, The binder enumerates.

Is any of those suppositions true, Father?

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-13, 05:34 PM
If he was buried with something, the digger would have left the body. No use carrying a corpse around if you take the item you want.
Vatai watches Vellichek carefully. He doesn't want anyone getting any more authority in this little group than they deserve.

2008-04-13, 08:35 PM
Zantus looks thoughtful. No, he definitely wasn't buried with anything . . . no idea about the other two, though. But come to think of it . . . I have an idea. It's just a guess, and still doesn't explain why, but . . . let's go inside. Hemlock can help me explain.

jagadaishio
2008-04-13, 10:13 PM
Seoni

Seoni walks back inside, almost immediately after stepping out, regretting that she didn't have the time to stop by her parents' graves.

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-13, 10:16 PM
Vatai walks back into the house and turns to Hemlock. Eager to talk to another of his own kind, he smiles as he again slips into his native tongue.
Shoanti
So, what is your clan name, friend? Where do your ancestors hail? How long have you been here among the city folk? How do you get used to their ways?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-14, 05:49 AM
Following Father Zantus back, Vellichek waits patently for the explanation.

Kyroswolf
2008-04-14, 08:41 AM
Grum

Sorry for my lack of posting lately. Very busy weekend.

At the mention of the graveyard, the Orc seems to almost cower as he stands. "No! Don't put Grum in the grave. Grum not ready to die. Keep Grum away."

He stands stoically in place, refusing to take a step toward the door to the graveyard as he waits for the others return. As soon as he see Vellichek return, he seems to calm. "What did flamey man find in nasty place?"

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-14, 08:46 AM
Vellichek

*Smile*. Nothing, Grum. They stole a corpse, and now we're back to ask the sheriff about why would someone steal the body.

NeonBlack
2008-04-14, 09:13 AM
Dilekar

"I'm curious about who this Ezakien Tobyn was", mutters Dilekar, almost thinking aloud to himself. "That could give us a clue about why someone would want his corpse.". Hoping that Father Zantus' explanation will answer this, he sits down somewhere inside the church, and waits.

2008-04-15, 05:26 PM
Once you return to the church, Zantus says to the sheriff, They took Ezakien Tobyn's body. I think this may have some sort of connection to the late unpleasantness. He turns to your group. You're mostly from out of town, so you wouldn't know much about that. Except for you, of course, he adds, with a nod to Seoni. He then says to Hemlock, You can tell them about the murders. I'll explain the fire.

Hemlock nods, then says something to Vatai in Shoanti.
ShoantiIt seems my answers to your question are part of the story.
Switching back to common, he proceeds to explain some recent Sandpoint history.

Sandpoint has mostly been a fairly peaceful town, but some recent events have been a high-profile exception which we've come to call the "late unpleasantness." It started when a serial killer called the Chopper started a rather long spree. He killed twenty-six citizens, including the last guard captain. I then managed to take charge of the guards and track him down. The town elected me as his replacement.

That's why I changed my name from Viskalai to its Chelish translation, Hemlock. I thought the town guard needed leadership that Sandpoint's mostly Chelish population would admire.

But I digress. Zantus, I believe you had something to say about the fire?

Zantus nods. Yes. This is the part I think may have a connection to the goblin raid. A few days later, a fire started in the old cathedral, burning the entire building down and killing both Ezakien Tobyn, the town's priest, and his daughter, Nualia.

Then today, on the day we've just finished rebuilding it, goblins attack, steal Ezakien's body and try to burn the town. And they're apparently led by a humanlike humanoid. There must be some connection, but I can't figure out what it is.

jagadaishio
2008-04-15, 08:41 PM
Seomi

A dark look crosses Seoni's face when Hemlock talks about Chopper, but the look passes as he moves on to other topics. When Hemlock talks about the theft of Tobyn's body, she asks, "Did it look like anyone tried to get at Nualia's body too?"

2008-04-15, 08:50 PM
No, says Zantus, but then, there wasn't much of it left in the first place.

Kyroswolf
2008-04-15, 09:09 PM
Grum

Grum claps his hands excitedly, "Oh boy storytime!" He plops down cross legged on the ground, staring intently at whomever is speaking. When he realizes the brief history is over, "Is that all? I wanted a longer story. I know, flamey man will have a good story."

NeonBlack
2008-04-16, 05:05 AM
Dilekar

The halfling listens intently to both men, trying to put the pieces together, before talking. "I see only two connections between the fire at the old cathedral on today's attack. First is the fire itself. Maybe someone wants to burn down the city for some reason. But, if we have to believe our goblin friend back there, today's fire was only a destruc... I mean, distraction, so I don't know. Goblins just happen to like burning things down, that's their idea of a wild party...".

Slowly, Dilekar stands up and starts pacing around the room. He speaks slowly, as if he's thinking carefully about every word. "The second link is the late Ezakien Tobyn himself. He died in the fire, and for all we know, he could be the main target of that attack. And now, someone stole his body. Why? Father Zantus, I guess you knew him well, did he ever talk about, I don't know, anything that could have broght this upon himself and his town? This looks a bit too much just to get rid of a cleric...".

"About that serial killer, no idea. I can't see how he fits with the current events. If he has to fit, anyway. Maybe he has nothing at all to do with the fires, the goblins and everything else...". Confused, Dilekar sits down again, staring down at his feet.

Polly wants a cookie :smalltongue:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-16, 07:23 AM
Vellichek

Well, I do see a connection, however unlikely and tenuous. I assume he was killed, right? If so, It calls back a piece of lore I remember from my childhood, Vellichek says as he assumes a meditative pose, sitting against a wall.

Most people, when they die, go to whatever plane they are supposed to go based on their actions in this life.

However, some people of extraordinarily strong will...do not have that fate, Their souls, fortified by the resolve of having an unfinished business left here, go instead to, I believe, the astral plane.

There, they become...ghosts.

Let's assume the Chopper became a ghost, something not so unlikely. Let's also assume he was a disturbed, sick wretch of a man. He probably had a way of targetting his victims, of deciding who to fell. And before he could finish his grisly job, he was caught and killed. To someone like him, it must have been... unbearable.

However, that Tobyn died might have been an obstacle in his plans after he reformed as a ghost. Maybe Tobyn was to be one of his future victims, and he feels a need to complete his job. Thus, he steals the body and...

But then, we run out of ideas. Why would he steal a corpse? To revive it? It seems doubtful. No, we must, for now, assume the Chopper is not involved in this, having reached a dead end on a motive.

This means that Tobyn himself is the connection. Which makes me think, WHY would he be connected to the fire in the church? From there, I have two ideas.

Idea number one: There is SOMETHING BELOW the church. The gravedigger absconded Tobyn's corpse to confirm that and to see if there was any easy way to enter.

Idea Two: Tobyn had done something important that was not related to the church. Maybe, while travelling while he was younger, he stumbled upon something, and someone took the corpse to learn more information about that.

If you, Father, believe there can be nothing under the church, I believe we have a single course of action that seems plausible to follow, a single strong, clear lead. We need to free our Goblin prisoner and come with him to the place where his tribe lives, to ask their leader if he can provide us with any information on the man. Who, now that I think of it, might not be a man, but a doppelganger, succubus or incubus, or even a dragon.

But enough speculation for now. Now, what we have to do is get the goblin to lead us to his leader.

2008-04-17, 09:05 PM
Zantus responds to Dilekar's question by thinking for a moment, then saying, No, not that I know of, but I suppose it's possible.

Hemlock, Zantus and the captured goblin in the chair listen to Vellichek's theories, the humans occasionally nodding. Upon hearing Vellichek's ideas, Hemlock says I doubt there would be something under the church. We'd have probably noticed after the old one burnt down. The second idea seems more likely.

Finally, when the goblin hears that you want to take it to its leader, its face grows frightened and it jumps out of its chair (you untied it during the interrogation, remember?) and runs to the door.

((Roll initiative if you want to chase it.))

Kyroswolf
2008-04-17, 09:48 PM
Grum

As soon as the goblin bots, Grum follows closely on it's heels. "Don't worry, flamey man, Grum catch."

40 movement speed..Go Go gadget Fast Movement!!!

[roll0]

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-17, 10:33 PM
Shoanti
Self important buffoon!
Vatai gives chase, drawing his sword as he runs full speed.
[roll]1d20+2[/init] Init

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-17, 10:34 PM
Try again. [roll0]. Oh, and I'm moving 45 ft base at a full sprint, atleast till I catch up with the little bugger.

NeonBlack
2008-04-18, 01:27 AM
Dilekar

Dilekar stands up and starts sprinting, but soon realizes that he won't be able to keep up with the barbarians. Instead he stops, and shouts "Try to get him alive! A chopped head won't lead us anywhere!".

Yay for Small size and 20ft base speed -_-.

jagadaishio
2008-04-18, 03:43 PM
Seoni

Seoni leaps after it and lets crack with an eldritch blast if it is still within range and not looking too damaged from her faster allies.

[roll0]
[roll1] (+1 if she can get within 30 feet)
[roll2] (+1 if she can get within 30 feet)
[roll3] (+1 if she can get within 30 feet)

2008-04-20, 08:47 PM
((Azerian Kelimon and Tonberryking still haven't posted after a reasonable time, so I'll declare their actions. Volt, Oka and Vellichek all sprint after the goblin. I rolled 15 init for Volt and 19 for Vellichek))

Seoni's attack misses as everyone else runs. The goblin is slow, but it had a head start.

Distances moved by the end of the round:

Goblin -- 240 feet (two turns because of surprise) bringing it to the graveyard wall.
Vatai -- 180 ft
Grum -- 160 ft
Vellichek -- 120 ft
Volt -- 120 ft
Oka -- Couldn't use full move speed due to wall, caught up with goblin at 240 ft
Seoni -- at door
Dilekar -- at door

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-22, 07:17 AM
((Actually, I didn't post because I decided to take INaction. Grum and Vatai are MUCH faster than me, so why try to win an unwinnable race? But anyway, racing for it is still okay.))

Kyroswolf
2008-04-22, 07:56 AM
Grum

The Orc poors on the speed, not used to being slower than anyone. "How you get so fast? How you out run Grum?"

purepolarpanzer
2008-04-23, 05:01 AM
Vatai dashes after the goblin, the blood pulsing in his temples as he runs full speed at the enemy.
Give it up, little goblin! This is what the Tamiir Quah were born to do!
He sprints, trying to catch the little monster.

2008-05-01, 06:45 PM
((I received a PM from Tonberryking asking to rejoin after his absence. I agreed and waited for him to post. On Monday, I decided that enough time had gone by that I should just take Volt and Oka's actions for him. Then on monday the forum was undergoing maintenance. Then on Tuesday my computer couldn't find the server. Then on Wednesday I couldn't connect to the Internet at all. Sorry about the absence. I'm assuming that the characters whose actions weren't posted have given up the chase.))

Vatai and Grum both reach the wall near the Goblin, but are unable to do anything further this round.

Oka attempts to grapple the goblin.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
Okay, I think that's all of them.

If Oka fails, the goblin attempts to climb to the top of the wall. It's about 7 feet high, with a very rough surface. [roll5]

Oka succeeds. The goblin will use its action to try to break free. See the next post for related rolls.

2008-05-01, 06:50 PM
Rolls for the goblin to attempt to break the grapple:

[roll0]
[roll1]

And it fails.

jagadaishio
2008-05-03, 02:47 PM
Seoni

Seoni runs out of the church and tries to get a good look at what's currently going on with the goblin chase.

[roll0]

NeonBlack
2008-05-03, 03:56 PM
Dilekar

Dilekar waits at the door, hoping to see the tall guys come back with the prisoner, hopefully in one piece.

And yeah, not much to do for a halfling in a race against a wolf and two barbarians. Sorry for the silence, but there's not much Dilekar can do right now except wait. Hm, well, maybe he could try to pick Seoni's pockets, just for the sake of it :smalltongue:

jagadaishio
2008-05-03, 07:37 PM
Good luck finding something worth stealing in the pockets of someone who was planning on spending the day relaxing at a free religious festival.