PDA

View Full Version : The Other Axis

Ephraim
2008-03-12, 11:15 PM
Three traitors and a fool...

The four people that Señor Elmo Constanz wished to be notified in the event of his death. A letter from his employer and comrade, Denali Patchkin, has been delivered to each of you, asking you to meet in the logging town of Nestor as soon you can.

Captain Hieronymous Squarejaw, you encountered Constanz frequently while harrying the officers of the Baron del Lagos. You knew his real name and although he came and went as he pleased, he was a formidable ally when he was at your side. The letter informing you of his death reaches you in the town of Chassen, where you were recuperating from an infected wound. You've been well for days, but have lingered overlong. Chassen lies three days south of Nestor, by foot.

Sir Kevin Robertson, when you first met Señor Constanz, he was using the name Eduardo Chubb. He showed you the true, wicked nature of Duke Carmine del Destrehan and helped you to escape from his service. The letter informing you of his death reaches you in the village of Pancorn in the Barony of del Lagos, where you were negotiating with the Baron for extra food. The region has suffered a drought this year and the Baron's taxation is notoriously stiff. Pancorn is a week's ride from Nestor. Fortunately, a paladin never wants for a reliable steed.

Señora J'barnabar Ripley, you never knew Elmo Constanz except by the name of John Saint Drake. In some ways, he betrayed you, but you also owe him your life. The letter informing you of his death reaches you at Dropwater Fair, five days to the west of Nestor. You were enjoying some rest and relaxation with the mercenary company you've been riding with lately. Perhaps it is time for a new direction?

Señor Zigurds, you knew Constanz only as Eliot Percival. He appeared one evening at your campfire, accompanied you for about six months, and then disappeared. He was a useful bloke, though, and worthy company. The letter informing you of his death reaches you in the village of Pillrose, a week's walk Southwest of Nestor. You have just lost a bid to clear out a warren of goblins from the local mine.

Denali Patchkin approaches each of you discretely shortly after you arrive in town. Upon the arrival of the last of you, he requests your attendance at the evening mass at the chapel of Ehlona, the Starlit Lady.

OOC: My preferred posting format is black text with speech in bold. Any necessary OOC comments (such as stating that you're using power attack, confirming the state of the game, or rolling dice) should follow your post and be as brief as possible.

Ephraim
2008-03-13, 12:24 AM
Here's some info on the town: Nestor is a small logging town in northern Zazoo (the nation of free men.) To the north and to the east lies the feudal republic of Gateau. Nestor is located a few days south of the nearest spur of the Imperial Highway (constructed by the Holy Barrish Empire, a dwarven nation.) The population is mostly human. There are almost no elves, dwarves, or halflings, a handful of gnomes, and a notable population of orcs and half-orcs, who make good lumberjacks.

There are about thirty people present for the evening mass at the chapel of Ehlonna. Denali Patchkin is present.

Apollyon
2008-03-13, 12:25 AM
Captain Squarejaw

A middle-aged gentleman punctually strolls into the chapel. His steady gaze surveys the interior of the temple; upon recognizing Denali, he walks over to the same row and silently sits down.

His clothing is a nondescript suit of travelling clothes, noticably worn, yet for all of the wear on it, there are no stains, nor are there rips or frayed edges. His hair is a slightly greying blond. His jawline is pronounced and clean-shaven, his cheekbones distinct.

Akiata
2008-03-13, 05:25 AM
J'barnabar

A tall, dark skinned woman stands at the entrance to the chapel. She's wearing woodsman's garb - with what appears to be breastplate under a dull, dark green cloak. Momentarily she looks about the room, taking a quick note of the building and the occupants before walking to the altar and briefly paying her respects to the Starlit Lady.

She unslings her bow from her shoulder and seats herself near Patchkin to wait for mass to being.

OOC: Is there an OOC thread? Not sure if it's appropriate - but I've linked the players and their sheets below.

Apollyon plays Captain Hieronymous Squarejaw (http://www.3edb.com/viewCharacter.asp?cid=18061) - Human male Scout/Rogue
Tichrondrius plays Kevin Robertson (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3238) - Human male Paladin of Freedom
Akiata plays J'barnabar Ripley (http://www.dndonlinegames.com/view.php?id=66448) - Human female Fighter/Scout
Hydra plays Zigurds (http://www.3edb.com/viewCharacter.asp?cid=17979) - Human male Sorcerer.

Apollyon
2008-03-13, 05:47 PM
Captain Squarejaw

The gentleman looks over at the stranger who just entered and sat in the same pew as him. His unshakable gaze partakes the entirety of the stranger, looking her from head to toe with a minimum of head movement. He quickly glances over at Denali and makes an almost-imperceptible gesture with his head in her direction, before returning his gaze towards the stranger. After half a minute, he rubs his hand along his jaw, looks at the bow, and then faces back forward.

"What are you planning on doing with that in here?", he quietly asks in a pleasing baritone. His hand darts to his belt pouch and emerges with a rock that he throws in the air from hand to hand, the height of the rock under the top of the pew.

Hydra
2008-03-13, 06:41 PM
Sigurds

Still a bet perturbed over losing his bid to deal with those silly goblins and that annoyance compounded by the loss of a friend (and one of the few willing to listen to Sigurds as he regaled about his many accomplishments), Sigurds walks into the chapel. He contemplates making a gesture of respect to the Starlit Lady, but decides he'd rather not acknowledge a being he had no desire to worship.

Gazing across the chapel, Sigurds spots Mr. Patchkin along with two strangers whom Sigurds has never met. Never one to be deterred by strangers, Sigurds adjusts the overly flashy and obviously overpriced outfit he chose for this and walks over to the group, bowing slightly to the three before removing his cap from his blond head.

"It's a shame, Eliot left us far too young, but even in tragedy some good can come of it. Sigurds the name, brightening hope amongst the free peoples of this land my specialty." Sigurds glances over the three, no doubt anxious to receive acknowledgment.

OOC: Here's (http://www.3edb.com/viewCharacter.asp?cid=17979) the link to my guy, sorry for not posting it sooner.

Ephraim
2008-03-13, 08:46 PM
At Sigurds' greeting, Denali Patchkin places a ribbon into his prayer book to mark his place and meets the newcomer's eye. "Well met, Señor Sigurds," he replies. "I am," he says, smiling politely, "aware of your reputation. It seems that Señor Constanz -- your Mr. Percival -- also thought you a man of character."

He rests his gaze on J'barnabar and Hieronymus in turn. "I am pleased that you agreed to join me tonight for the mass. Elmo's passing still rests heavy upon my conscience and I find Monsignora Marqueen's homilies to be comforting." He absently strokes the cover of his prayer book while a ripple of remorse passes over his face. "Of course, afterward, I will explain to you all everything that you need to know."

Apollyon
2008-03-13, 09:35 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"Now you have piqued my curiosity, but I shall have to wait to find out more details until afterwards." He turns towards the two strangers, "My name is Captain Squarejaw. And, Sigurds was it? I hope that you aren't boasting when you say that you can bring cheer. There is much that needs cheering in this world."

With that said, he turns forward, clamps his jaw shut, and stares ahead, not interrupting the rhythm of the rock in the least throughout the exchange.

Akiata
2008-03-15, 02:58 AM
J'barnabar

"Señor Constanz? Mr. Percival? Elmo?!! Just who was he?"

For all the questions running through her head, Barnie gives little if anything away outwardly. A calm, smile graces her face as she responds to the newcomer.

"Well met Señor Zigurds," and nodding in the direction of the queer man tossing rocks about, "Captain Squarejaw. Would that we might have met under better circumstances. I am J'barnanabar Ripley, but folks call me Barnie." She finishes and turns toward the Monsignora to await the service to begin, but then turns back momentarily to say, "Oh, and I tend to find it's more comfortable to unsling one's bow before sitting. Suppose that might be a might strange to some..." She says with eyebrow raised.

/OOC: Guys I'm off on holidays for ten days to Amsterdam and then Milan today, and I will not be able post very frequently. :smalleek: I'm really sorry - the timing's terrible I know. I'll get on as often as I can - feel free to NPC J'barnabar in the mean time.

Apollyon
2008-03-15, 09:54 PM
Captain Squarejaw

He turns towards the armored figure, affixes her with a hard stare, his jaw tightening, the rock throwing ending. "I didn't mean to ask as to why you put it there, that much is obvious. I wanted to know why you brought a bow into this temple. I realize that you are most likely eager to show off your new armor and weapon that you bought with a sack of gold that you found under a freshly-clubbed baby kobold. But there's a time and place for wearing armor and carrying a weapon, and a temple is rarely it, unless you fear getting a splinter."

OOC: Have fun in A'dam and Milan.

Hydra
2008-03-16, 01:40 AM
Sigurds

Sigurds, sensing the hostility in the air, quickly positions himself between the captain and Barnie, not wanting to risk the loss of any potential allies.

"Now now, we should be seeing joy in the fact that even in the wake of this down heartening situation we can make new friends and allies, not seeking to take out our emotions on one another! Come, let's learn what we can from this service, then we can discuss other matters, yes?"

Sigurds shoots both a "trust me" smile before taking a seat on the pew, placing himself between the two.

Ephraim
2008-03-16, 12:25 PM
As Sigurds' intervenes, J'barnabar bites back a retort but continues to eye Hieronymus. "Very well," she replies coolly.

Señor Patchkin appears as though he is about to say something, himself, when he is interrupted by the beginning of the mass. A boy-acolyte raises a song of praise as the priestess emerges from her chambers at the rear of the chancel. Clad in dark blue and white vestments, she steps up to the pulpit and begins to speak.

The service is brief, consisting only of Monsignora Marqueen's message, a few prayers, and a blessing. As the rest of the congregation begins to depart, Patchkin whispers to you, "We will meet with the Monsignora shortly."

Once the chapel has cleared, the priestess approaches Patchkin and gives him a hug. "Good evening, Denali," she says. "Are these Elmo's friends?"

"Just so, Luz," Patchkin replies. "And I believe that Markoni will be joining us presently." To the rest of you, he says, "Please allow me to introduce you. This is Monsignora Luz Marqueen. Luz, these are Captain Hieronymus Squarejaw, Señor Sigurds, and Señora J'barnabar Ripley." He pulls a handkerchief out of his pocket and dabs at his glossy forehead.

"And now, I believe that I promised an explanation," he says. "Each of you knew Elmo under different circumstances, but his real name was Elmo Constanz. He was a spy in my employ and he was invaluable in preserving the tenuous balance that prevents Gateau from making open war on Zazoo. Several months ago, a dreadful rumour reached us. I asked Elmo to travel north to investigate it, but a little more than two weeks ago, he was killed." He gestures to the priestess. "Show them the bracelet, Luz."

She pulls back the sleeve of her tunic to reveal an iron bracelet on her right wrist, now rusted and pitted with corrosion. "Elmo and I each wore one," she explains. "In the event of his death, the iron would rust." While she is speaking, a burly, young man smelling of sawdust enters the chapel and approaches quietly. "So tonight, we intend to conduct a séance to speak with his ghost. We would like..." She chews her lip pensively. "We would like you to travel north to find out what happened to him and to bring back his body, if you could, so that we can give him a proper burial."

Apollyon
2008-03-16, 05:04 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"That sounds like a valuable service that I could provide for him. I am indebted to him; no member of the Squarejaw family would dare leave a debt unfulfilled."

He turns his neck back around towards the new arrival, his jaw resting upon his shoulder. He turns back around towards Monsignora Luz and merely raises an eyebrow, rolling his eyes back towards the top of his skull with a slight elevation of his head.

Hydra
2008-03-18, 07:09 PM
Sigurds

Sigurds nods in agreement.

"A friend of Mr. Elmo is a friend of mine. I shall see that he receives in death what he deserved in life.

Ephraim
2008-03-19, 11:54 AM
Luz takes in the assent for a moment and then says, "I can't tell you how grateful we are for you agreeing to help." She graces each of you with a warm smile in turn and then directs her attention to the newcomer. "Thank you for joining us tonight, Pitr," she says to him. "Friends, this is Pitr Markoni. He was close to Elmo -- like a brother."

Pitr clears his throat and mumbles, "Hello."

Patchkin clasps Pitr's shoulder and says, "Don't be bashful, Markoni."

"No, sir," Markoni replies. "Of course not."

The is a moment of awkward silence before the priestess speaks up again. "Shall we adjourn to my study? I laid out everything before mass." Her tongue pokes out from beneath her lips as she surveys the group and then she frowns. "Gracious... Didn't you say that there would be seven, Denali? I hope that this doesn't spoil the ritual."

"I have every confidence in you, Luz," Patchkin says. "Seven or six, it ought not matter." He crosses the chancel to the door to Monsignora's Marqueens' chambers and holds it open.

Apollyon
2008-03-20, 09:46 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"Greetings, Senor Markoni. I'm sorry for your loss. I spent some time with him; I had no thoughts after hearing of his passing, but of getting here." After greeting Markoni, he turns towards Patchkin.

"Who else was supposed to arrive? I can't say much for them if they weren't willing to honor their commitments." He pauses for a minute, irritation evident in his eyes and the slight tensing of his jaw.

"Would it be more advisable to wait until we have seven? I can't say that I know much about rituals."

Akiata
2008-03-23, 05:18 PM
J'barbabar

Having freely given her consent to assisting in this task, J'barnabar wonders for a second if it's what she wants to be doing. "It would be the least I could be for him," she decides quickly - her mind coming to the same conclusion her heart knew all along.

"Monsignora, if your séance is as touching as your service was, I'm sure everything will go smoothly." She reaches out to squeeze her hand in reassurance and gestures that the preistess should lead the way.

Hydra
2008-03-25, 06:57 PM
Sigurds

Sigurds looks at all his companions before scratching his chin.

"While I've never been in one of these rituals, if it will bring ease to the minds of the bereaved I would be more than willing to participate," Sigurds chimes in, "and I wouldn't want it to be known that I wasn't willing to take part in a little magic."

Ephraim
2008-03-28, 06:09 PM
Monsignora Marqueen leads the way into her chambers. The rooms are plainly decorated, but not, perhaps, as austere as one might have expected from a priestess. To the left lies a curtained alcove with a bed and a dressing table. To the right, paintings of derring-do adorn the wall. There is also a stand upon which hangs a serviceable suit of mail, a longbow, and a spear.

At the rear of the chamber is the Monsignora's study. The collection of books and scrolls on the cases is hardly opulent, but it suggests wealth beyond the means of a logging village. There is an oblong table as well, with ten plain chairs. A square of linen conceals a bundle thereupon. It is toward this table which Luz leads you.

"As you know, she explains, "summoning the spirit of a dead man is singularly difficult. Even, we, six of his most respected friends, will only be able to speak with him briefly.

She removes the cloth and reveals the accoutrements of the séance: a wooden bowl filled with milk, a lock of hair, a silver coin, and a sprig of pine. "Once Elmo's spirit appears to us, each of us may ask one and only one question of him. She drags four of the chairs away from the table. "Ask him whatever is closest to your heart. The ritual is empowered by our admiration for him."

She seats herself at the chair nearest the components of the spell and invites the rest of you to join her.

Akiata
2008-03-31, 07:00 AM
J'barnabar

As she seats her self at the table, Barnie's mind begins racing through millions of questions, but one that sticks almost immediately she realises she can ask of Patchkin now.

"What was this dreadful rumour that you sent Elmo to investigate?"

Ephraim
2008-04-10, 05:23 PM
Denali Patchkin seats himself and tugs at an earlobe as he considers J'barnabar's question. "Well, as you know," he begins, "there's been increased tension along the border the past few years. The word is, Gateau is planning another campaign to re-annex Zazoo. That, of course, is nothing new. Plotting the conquest of Zazoo is almost a party game to the nobility."

He pauses and casts a glance over at the priestess, who is fussing over the pine sprig. "How much time do I have, Luz?"

"As much as you need, Denali," she replies. "I can cast the spells any time tonight."

Patchkin nods and then continues his explanation. "The new archmage at the church of Wee Jas, however, adds a complication. We don't know what exactly he's doing, but it appears that he's prepared to lend more power to Gateau than his predecessor was.

"We have reliable testimony that a Savant has been seen at the court of Duke Carmine del Destrehan. The Duke is ambitious and not especially bright. That lends credence to the less reliable testimony we have received that he is bankrolling experiments with black magic by the Church of Wee Jas. If it's true, King Aramis would have him beheaded. Of course, the Duke probably knows less about what his cohort is doing than we do -- which is very little.

OOC: I apologize for the long delay. Work has been very taxing and I've been in a creative rut.

Akiata
2008-04-11, 03:32 AM
J'barnabar

Taking Patchkin's words on board Barnie begins to put the pieces together - thinking out loud.

"So I imagine you sent John to, uh, Elmo to investigate what this archmage was up to. And if the rumours of black magic are true, a fate most foul may have befallen him..."

This disturbing thought gives her pause and she pales - visibly unsettled. She regains her composure after a moment, and clears her throat.

"I will ask the spirit of Elmo how best his death might be avenged."

Hydra
2008-04-21, 08:56 PM
Sigurds

Sigurds scratches his chin, taking in the new information.

"I personally would like to know what purpose he had in allying himself with me if he had much important things to attend to than the hodge podge of adventures we had."

Apollyon
2008-04-23, 09:36 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"I wonder as to what he learned before he died. I have little doubt that he was killed, given what you told me." He grabs his head, his thumb on his temple and his fingers touching the top of his skull.

He pauses for the better part of a minute. He then slides his hand down his face, creating a fist and cracking 3 of his knuckles on his jaw. His arm falls to rest flat upon the table as he gives a great sigh.

"I don't doubt that I shall learn what he knew, given time. I think the most disappointing thing is that he died without being able to tell certain people important things, or just farewell. I've seen many die without being able to pass on even something like a farewell to family. My question to him shall be: 'Would you like me to give a message to anyone?'"

Ephraim
2008-05-06, 08:07 PM
As the conversation around the table dwindles, Luz Marqueen begins to sing a hymn to the goddess Ehlona. It is a song of gratitude and celebration for romantic love. Between each verse, the priestess pauses and begs the goddess for her power.

During the final verse, she wraps the lock of hair around the sprig of pine and tucks it like an ornament into her own coif. She concludes her song and once again, asks Ehlona to fulfill her supplication. She pushes the bowl of milk into the middle of the table and then with a practiced flick of her wrist, she bounces the coin into the bowl.

The splash freezes before it falls and a milky mist rises from the bowl. The mist takes the shape of a man. As it coalesces, though, it becomes evident that the man is bound in chains. Monsignora Marqueen claps her hand to her mouth and stifles a moan. "The questions," she murmers. "Ask your questions."

Patchkin speaks up immediately. "Elmo, what did you discover of the rumours we sent you to investigate?" The spirit orients on Patchkin and replies, "Denali, it is worse than we imagined." Constanz's spirit falls silent and Patchkin seems about to speak up again, but the priestess inhales sharply and he bites his tongue.

To J'barnabar's question, he strains against his bonds and answers, "Break the chains."

Pitr Markoni asks, "Who is responsible for your death?" The spirit struggles with this question, the chains constricting about him as he searches for an answer. Finally, he says, "del Destrehan's Hubris."

Sigurds question actually elicits a mirthless laugh from Contanz's ghost. "Señor Sigurds," he replies, "you were suspicious."

Monsignora Marqueen asks him, "Where will we find your body?" The chains constrict immediately around Constanz. In fact, they even glow with a reddish hue. To Contanz, it is clearly agonizing. Try as he might, he is unable to answer. Only when he ceases to try do the chains relent. She turns to Hieronymous and urges him to hurry.

In response to Captain Squarejaw's question, the spirit replies, "Tell Moskowitz the baker, in Fharlangh's Footstep, that I always enjoyed the meat pies."

When Constanz finishes, the priestess tugs the pine sprig from her hair and tosses it into the bowl of milk. Immediately, the splash resumes splashing and the apparition dissipates.

Akiata
2008-05-07, 04:16 AM
J'barnabar

Eyes wide with awe and heart stricken with sadness, Barnie continues to stare at the bowl of milk for a few minutes, long after the apparition has vanished.

Still looking blankly at the bowl, her voice breaks just a little as she asks, "why keep his spirit chained like that? Who would do such a thing..." she trails off for a moment and then looks up at Patchkin. "Could this be the work of Destrehan's black mage?"

Detrehan or Destrehan? I'm assuming they're not two seperate people.

That was an awesome description of the spell - great work! :biggrin:

Ephraim
2008-05-07, 06:04 AM
OOC: Destrehan. The previous post has been corrected.

Apollyon
2008-05-08, 08:54 PM
Captain Squarejaw

He moves his jaw to the side, creating a half-frown, a large crease surrounding his cheekbone. "Well, that certainly was interesting. I had expected him to give me a message telling his family that he loves them. I suppose this news will be easier than telling someone that a loved one has died."

His frown disappears as his lips grow tight. "Telling someone of a death of a loved one is the worst possible job that I have ever performed. I suppose that I don't have to perform that duty this time."

He looks over towards Monsignora Marqueen, "Is J'barnabar correct? Is his soul truly being held captive? I would hate that her first time of being correct is this one."

Ephraim
2008-05-12, 11:43 AM
Luz Marqueen wrings her hands as she continues to stare at the now-still bowl of milk. "I don't know," she stammers. "I think that's what it means. I don't have to cast that spell very often and the spirit of the deceased manifests differently every time. I've never seen anything like that before, though. I think that yes, his spirit must be held captive.

Patchkin sits with his head bowed, a hand held over his eyes. "Friends, I believe that this adds new urgency to what I ask of you. I thought just to give Elmo a dignified burial. It seems that more is at stake, however, than just the resting place of his bones."

Akiata
2008-05-15, 08:57 AM
J'barnabar

With a long exhale, Elle thinks to herself, "Patchkin's right - it's time to get on with this." But when Captain Squarejaw makes his quip, she can't resist a quick retort.

"Squarejaw, if you're coming with me to free Elmo's spirit and see to it that his death was not in vain, you'd best get used to me being correct. Otherwise you'll find yourself too bewildered to be of any use." Pausing for effect, the corners of her mouth curl upward playfully to form a wry grin. "It's been a while since I've heard good banter. Maybe this one's not as stiff as I first thought..."

Turning to Patchkin she says, "I'd like to leave immediately - it's time Duke Destrehan was paid a visit. Can you tell me - is Fharlangh's Footstep on the way there?"

Apollyon
2008-05-15, 08:23 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"I didn't acquire the rank of Captain by basing plans solely upon people failing. In fact, I hope that you are correct more often than not. It means fewer pushups for you and less time that I need to waste making sure that you don't cheat on them."

The edges of his lips curl upwards in a small but unmistakable smile, the skin pulling taut across his cheekbones, chin, and jaw.

He pulls out a cylindrical case, commenting "As for your question." He loosens the leather strap and buckle holding one end, and lifts the end. His hands deftly extract a large piece of parchment. His gaze shifts over to Luz, his left eyebrow raising, as if to ask permission. Seeing no response, he slides the bowl of milk out of the way and places down what appears to be a map.

He turns to J'barnabar, "We have an acronym in the military. The 6 Ps. Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance."

Hydra
2008-05-21, 05:17 PM
Sigurds

"Suspicious eh? In that case I should see to it that I accompany you all on this quest. I can't have anyone thinking low of my good name, even if it is a ghost."

Sigurds adjusts the clasp on his cloak before continuing.

"Besides, if this del Destrehan is the one holding our dearly departed comrade my unique talents would likely be to everyone's benefit."

Ephraim
2008-05-24, 11:32 PM
Patchkin licks his lips as he looks over the map that Heironymous has spread on the table. "Well," he says, "Nestor isn't featured on this map." He points to a forest in the southwestern quadrant. "It's located south of here, though. As you can see, the fastest way to the highway is to travel north."

Indeed, you can see that the highway forks at Wellsaid City, near the border of Zazoo and Gateau to the north. One spur tends southwesterly before turning due west a few days north of the forest's southern edge. Another spur tends southeasterly for a short distance before turning due south.

"This is the route that Elmo took," Patchkin explains. "The distance is greater, but that branch of the highway is more heavily traveled. I believe that he had decided to pose as a peddler, so it made more sense for him to be traveling on that road."

North from where the two forks of the road meet at Wellsaid City, the highway heads north to the Lambert River, which marks the boundary between Zazoo and Gateau. A few more days travel would bring one to the city of Farlangh's Footstep at the Great Northern Crossroads. Three days farther along the road to the northeast is the ducal capital of Bellflower.

Hydra
2008-05-25, 11:24 AM
Sigurds

"Taking the road more traveled certainly does make sense in our particular situation, as we're a rather eclectic looking lot to begin with, no need to draw further suspicion. I'd also recommend we wait till morning, my abilities work their best when I've had a good night's sleep and it would allow the good captain to practice his six P's."

Apollyon
2008-05-25, 09:37 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"Getting an early start tomorrow is certainly a good idea. I'd much rather not camp on the road for longer than necessary. You are correct, Sigurds, attention is quite unwelcome. An extra day of travel is nothing compared to a couple of months in some prison cell."

He falls silent for a short time, then stands, and moves towards the door.

"I have a room at the Troll's Jaw for the night. I shall wait for you here after breakfast."

Akiata
2008-05-26, 03:34 PM
J'barnabar

"Very well, tomorrow morning it is," J'barnabar gathers up her things, and makes ready to leave.

"I might check in to the Troll's Jaw for the night too. I'll return in the morning with the Captain here."

Ephraim
2008-05-26, 07:24 PM
After an evening of rest, you gather again in the morning at the chapel of Ehlonna. Patchkin and Monsignora Marqueen await you in the dim light of dawn.

The priestess curtsies as you approach. "Before you depart," she says, "Denali and I would like to give you a few things to assist you. It is less than you deserve, but I hope you understand that I must also see to the needs of my flock." She retrieves a parcel from the steps of the chapel and offers it to you.

Patchkin shuffles nervously while Luz offers her gifts. When she has finished, he pulls a pair of pouches from his belt. One is black and the other brown and their drawstrings are knotted together. "It is just a little bit of money," he explains. "Also, we thought that you should have what was left behind of Elmo's adventuring gear. I think that he'd find it fitting and I daresay, you'll put it to good use." He gestures to a plain, pine chest resting on the chapel's steps.

OOC:
Each of you gains 700 experience points.

The parcel that Luz Marqueen gave you contains six (6) blessed bandages
and a set of Vials of Everhealing along with a note from Luz explaining how they work. A blessed bandage automatically stabilizes a wounded person with no heal check required. Vials of Everhealing come in sets of three. One of the vials has three gold spheres for a stopper; one has two silver spheres; and one has a single copper sphere. The copper vial heals 1d8 damage, the silver vial heals 2d8 damage, and the gold vial heals 3d8 damage. Once a vial has been consumed, the stopper takes on the appearance of iron. When full, the set contains six charges. Every morning, the set regains one charge, beginning with the gold vial. After one day, one of its spheres will turn copper (and two will remain iron); after two days, two will turn silver and one will remain iron.

The pouches that Denali Patchkin gave you contains 200 silver "ermines" and 5 gold "stags" (currency of Zazoo) and also 250 silver "freren" (currency of Gateau.)

Elmo Contanz's chest contains a pair of acrobat boots, a suit of shiftweave, an elixir of hiding, and a potion of darkvision. Acrobat boots grant the wearer a +2 competence bonus to tumble checks. They also have 3 charges each (renewed each day at dawn.) Charges may be spent to increase your speed for one round. 1 charge: +10 feet; 2 charges: +15 feet; 3 charges: +20 feet. Shiftweave may be made to resemble one of five preset outfits by a mental command (swift action.) This particular suit of shiftweave has the following five outfits: the vestments of a bishop of the church of Wee Jas, the work clothes of a groom (as in stables and horses) with attractive livery, the work clothes of a butcher (ordinary laborer, with a stained leather apron), the uniform of a courier of the Bardic Colleges, and homespun monastic robe with a cowl that conceals the face. Elixir of hiding gives the user a +10 competence bonus to hide checks for 1 hour. A potion of darkvision gives the user darkvision to 60 feet for 3 hours.

Akiata
2008-05-28, 06:33 AM
J'barnabar

Barnie looks over all the items presented and smiles in gratitude. "If there's a way to release Elmo, we shall find it. He will be avenged."

She picks up two of the Blessed Bandages and slips them into one of the pouches on her backpack. Of all the other items, she only shows interest in the boots. Picking them up and measuring them against her current boots she looks up and asks,

"Anyone mind if I wore these?"

Hydra
2008-05-31, 01:56 AM
Sigurds

"I have no objections to that," Sigurds states as he puts two of the bandages into his own gear, "As far as my own interest is concerned, the Shiftweave is an intriguing item. The potions would be clearly more suited for the stealthy among us and the the vials will no doubt benefit the group as a whole."

Sigurds finishes fiddling with his gear before glancing over at the small amount of funds left.

"The money would probably be best used for buying necessary provisions for the trip, such as food. Whatever is left should likely be donated to a cause Elmo believed in," Sigurds glances around at his companions, "unless someone objects to that."

Apollyon
2008-05-31, 10:36 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"I'm also interested in those boots. Perhaps you would be interested in an Everfull Mug to concede the Boots to me? It makes water, decent wine, or cheap ale, at your will."

The Captain is wearing mail for the journey, the links shining, even in the dimness of the morning. He's freshly shaven, even though it was difficult to find stubble on his jaw last night.

"That's a very good idea, Sigurds. I have no objection to you using the Shiftweave."

Turning towards Patchkin, he asks "Any suggestion for a worthy cause to donate the rest of his money towards after we are done?"

Ephraim
2008-06-01, 03:20 PM
A mixture of surprise, sadness and shame cascades across Denali Patchkin's face before he can compose himself to reply. "I don't really know," he stammers. "I don't recall Elmo being charitable in that sense of the word. Oh, I don't mean that he wasn't generous, but he always took a personal hand in the use of his money, you see."

Seeing Patchkin flounder with the explanation, Luz puts her hand on his shoulder to quiet him. "What Denali is trying to say is that my husband was a man of action and very proud. It would have hurt his feelings if one had suggested that some other agent could put the money to better use than he could have. Use it wisely and well to liberate the oppressed and you shall serve his will far better than would any donation."

Hydra
2008-06-02, 02:15 AM
Sigurds

"Elmo is a much wiser man that I had thought. Why trust others to handle a job you can do yourself?"

Sigurds turns to face the Captain and Barnie.

"Are there any potions, scrolls, or similar trinkets that we can acquire that you feel would be recommended for this journey? I of course carry my own supply of scrolls but it never hurts to have an extra option or two in a sticky situation."

Akiata
2008-06-02, 06:32 AM
J'barnabar

Eyes narrowing at the Captain's words, she gives him a long stare, obviously unimpressed by his offer.

"I can see that we're going to be butting heads a lot, aren't we Captain?" She relaxes a little and lets out a sigh. "Very well, I accept your offer of the mug for the boots. And I guess I'll claim the Elixir of hiding, and the Potion of Darkvision as well."

"Sigurds, I don't need anything else - I'm keen to get moving."

Apollyon
2008-06-02, 08:07 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"I'd offer you one of my wands, Barnie, but I'm not sure that you would be able to use it."

With that, he drops his backpack onto the ground, opens it, and quickly retrieves 2 mugs and hands them to Barnie. He then unpacks everything, and repacks everything. It is possible to hear him mumble something about "left in Troll's Jaw".

"As for your question, Sigurds, the answer is that your talents are more needed elsewhere. I certainly could lower a sail, but there's no reason for me to do so any more, not when I'm much more useful to everyone as a Captain."

Ephraim
2008-06-02, 08:48 PM
You are walking east out of Nestor toward the more-frequently traveled spur of the old highway. There is a dirt road that you could follow east until it intersects the highway, but it is not the straightest path. Alternately, you could travel across the open grasslands toward the town of Genma, which lies on the highway. Making a beeline for Genma would be a shorter trip, but you'd travel faster on the road. It's impossible to estimate which route would be faster. What do you do?

p.s. I will have a map for you guys tomorrow.

Hydra
2008-06-03, 07:14 PM
Sigurds

"Well my friends, I would prefer to stick to the roads. My sense of direction is, shall we say, not quite there. Besides, it's in our best interest to not draw attention to ourselves, so we should take the road more traveled. I may not be wanted, but I'd rather not give anyone a reason to look closer than they would normally chose to."

Akiata
2008-06-04, 07:49 AM
J'barnabar

"I've always been more comfortable taking off road routes, I find attention is more easily avoided that way. Roads don't suit me so much as grasslands and woods."

She looks from Sigurds to Captain Squarejaw.

"I'm not too fussed either way though. Captain - what do you think?"

Apollyon
2008-06-04, 08:26 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"I'm certainly in favor of taking the roads. I have no real interest in going through the backwoods and finding the troll to whom the inn-named jaw belongs."

Ephraim
2008-06-04, 09:14 PM
The morning is cool and there is a light fog that clears quickly as the sun rises in the sky to the south. About a half an hour east of the village, the gurgle of water and the sound of axes and saws indicate that you are approaching the river and the sawmill. The tang of sawdust lingers in the air here. You cross a sturdy, stone bridge and put the mill behind you without incident.

As midday nears, the forest recedes northward leaving fertile meadows dotted with farmsteads lining both sides of the road. The day remains cool and there is sporadic wind from the west.

Ahead on the road, you see a person pulling a hand cart, the first other traveler that you have seen all day. As you get closer, you see that the person is a short, lean, fair-haired woman and that the hand cart is filled with carrots, onions, and a clay jar sealed with wax.

Ephraim
2008-06-07, 11:00 PM
You pass the woman on the road in silence and continue on your way. By early evening, you leave the forest behind you entirely. The wind changes direction and without the trees to act as a windbreak, a warm, dry gale from the south is soon sweeping across the road, carrying with it the scent of ripening wheat.

The sun still lies above the horizon and you have a couple more solid hours of travel left in you. The monotony of the wheat fields and the roar of the wind is almost unbroken.

OOC: Everybody, please roll spot and listen for me.

Akiata
2008-06-08, 07:12 AM
J'barnabar

Being on the move seems to suit Barnie, and she has a tendancy to range around the road a bit, sometimes ahead, sometimes behind the others. She definitely seems to be in her element in the great outdoors.

Spot: (1d20+8=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1619948/).
Listen: (1d20+8=26) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1619948/).

Apollyon
2008-06-08, 07:33 AM
Captain Squarejaw

Spot: 1d20 + 10
Listen: 1d20 + 10

Apollyon
2008-06-08, 07:35 AM
Captain Squarejaw

Spot: [roll0] + 10.
Listen: [roll1] + 10.

OOC: Stupid dice roller. Ephraim, could you please delete the last one? Also, this party seems to like rolling Spot and Listen. The average die roll is over 15, so far.

Hydra
2008-06-08, 02:25 PM
Spot: 1d20=10, Listen: 1d20=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1620215/)

Alert Zigurds is not.

Ephraim
2008-06-08, 05:29 PM
J'barnabar Ripley and Captain Heironymous Squarejaw are not to be underestimated! Despite the tall wheat and the noise of the wind, both observe an out-of-place rustle in the field north of the road and glimpse a flash of movement just seconds before a female lion bursts from cover and charges Zigurds. A moment later, a second lion emerges from the wheat as well and menaces Captain Squarejaw.

Please roll initiative. Captain Squarejaw and J'barnabar, you will act in the surprise round. Zigurds, you are surprised and will act in the following round.

Apollyon
2008-06-08, 06:47 PM
Captain Squarejaw

[roll0]

OOC: I also have Uncanny Dodge, in case they beat me on initiative.

Hydra
2008-06-08, 07:42 PM
13 (rolled a 6 with a +7. Apparently the dice don't like me much today). (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1620552/)

Akiata
2008-06-10, 04:31 AM
J'barnabar

Battle sense takinng over, Barnie reacts quickly, drawing her bow, and nocking an arrow.

Initiative: (1d20+9=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1622123/)

Ephraim
2008-06-10, 05:18 PM
The order of combat will be as follows: J'barnabar, Lion I, Captain Squarejaw, Zigurds, Lion II. Zigurds, remember, you will not act during the first round of combat.

Here is how I am going to try to run combat. Each round, I want a PM from each of you describing what you are attempting to do, including rolls for your actions. If you think there's a good chance that another player is going to interfere with your actions (killing the monster you're fighting, running into the area of the spell you wanted to cast), provide me with a backup action as well. I will adjudicate the round holistically, honouring initiative as much as possible, being fair, and promoting drama. I will PM each of you back whether you succeed or fail and also any relevant results (like damage, the outcomes of failed saves, etc.) Then, in turn order, you may each post in your own way the results of your action.

Round 1: J'barnabar and Captain Squarejaw, please PM me your actions.

Akiata
2008-06-20, 05:33 AM
J'barnabar

The training and combat experience kicks in immediately, and J'barnabar takes swift action. Moving nimbly to the left, and falling back slightly, she sights the lead lion and fires and arrow which finds its mark, burying deep into the beasts' flank.

Ephraim
2008-06-21, 01:05 AM
The lion that J'barnabar has shot falters for just a moment as the arrow sinks into her flesh. She snarls with pain and warily eyes both J'barnabar and Captain Squarejaw.

The lion that is charging Zigurds is unfazed by her companion's trouble and crashes into the sorcerer in a frenzy of brutal teeth and claws. She mauls his chest with two swipes of her forepaws and sinks her teeth deep into his shoulder. She fails to gain sufficient purchase to bring her rear claws to bear, however, when she attempts to rake him.

OOC: Zigurds, you are now engaged in a grapple with the lion. Take 23 damage. Captain Squarejaw, the next action is yours.

Apollyon
2008-06-21, 05:15 PM
Captain Squarejaw

With the lion distracted by the arrow, the Captain leaps at it, kicking up much dust. The lion appears to momentarily lose track of him in the dust and confusion. The Captain finally rises above the dust cloud. The lion whirls around, only to be met with a swift kick to the jaw.

Hydra
2008-06-25, 08:40 PM
Zigurds

The force of the lion knocks Zigurds flat onto his back, causing him to struggle in vain as the beast rakes at him with a flurry of claws.

"A LITTLE HELP PLEASE?!" Zigurds shouts, his tone much more panicked than one his companions would be used to hearing from him.

Akiata
2008-06-26, 03:43 AM
J'barnabar

Watching the lion take Zigurds to the ground, Barnie knows that he won't last long.

"Get out of there Zigurds!"

She drops her bow and races over to aid the sorceror, pulling the greatsword on her back free of its sheath as she runs. With the lion stood atop Zigurds it's easy enough to land a long slash to the beast's rear leg.

Ephraim
2008-06-28, 08:03 PM
Even as J'barnabar hastens to assist Zigurds, Squarejaw's heavy, sea captain's boot connects with the lion's face. The lion's head snaps back and the beast drops to the ground with a broken neck, it's life quickly ebbing away.

J'barnabar's attack on the other lion slices deep into its flank. Enraged, it disengages from Zigurds and roars at J'barnabar, a terrible noise mixed with hot spittle and the stench of spoiling meat. It swipes fiercely at the woman with one of its massive paws. J'barnabar nimbly avoids the swing. The lion, off kilter from its game leg and the momentum of the attack is unbalanced for a moment.

OOC: Zigurds, you are no longer grappled and the lion is unbalanced, so it will not be able to make any attacks of opportunity until after its next action. Captain Squarejaw, please PM me your next action.

Apollyon
2008-06-28, 08:59 PM
Captain Squarejaw

Seeing an opportunity, the Captain wastes no time in moving to Sigurd's side, opposite Barnie from the lion. "Get behind either Barnie or myself, Sigurds."

He then takes this opening to take an overhead swing at the lion's back, hoping to see if he could repeat the result from kicking the last lion's jaw. While he does connect solidly, the only reaction from the lion is that it leans back on his injured haunch.

Hydra
2008-06-29, 01:50 AM
Zigurds

"Damn good plan, but first..."

The air crackles as mystic words and phrases escape Zigurds' lips, with his hand starting to glow as 4 small orbs erupt from it, crashing into the lion's face. The force of the blow knocks the lion to the ground, and after a few brief moments Zigurds stands up, confident that the beast is dead.

"Now then, where's those fancy healing vials?"

Apollyon
2008-06-30, 09:17 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"For all the sound and the fury that they make, if they can't hit you first, lions are glass jaws. Unfortunately, he got to you first."

With that said, the Captain tosses over the big vial. "Let's see how well these things work. That should be either enough or close to enough for you."

He then turns to J'Barnabar, "Do you think that we should bury the lions, or just chuck them into the wheat and let the scavengers eat them? I'd much rather that we be on our way."

Akiata
2008-07-01, 02:40 AM
J'barnabar

After cleaning the blade of her sword and sheathing it, Barnie wanders over to retrieve her bow. Responding to the Captain she says:

"On any other day, I'd give serious thought to skinning them, and disposing of the remains properly. But today, we can't afford the time." She seems genuinely distressed by this. "We should leave them where they lie, and be on our way. Obad-Hai will have nature take its course."

Ephraim
2008-07-03, 07:07 PM
OOC: I am out of town until next Monday and I will not have a great deal of time to devote to the game. Finish up what you're going to do here and I'll move the scenario forward with my next post.

Hydra
2008-07-08, 06:53 PM
Sigurds

Drinking the contents of the vial, some of Sigurds' cuts and bruises start to heal up, but he still looks quite under the weather.

"Ugh, it seems the contents of that vial weren't all they were cracked up to be. Any chance I could try one of the other two?"

Apollyon
2008-07-20, 08:49 PM
Captain Squarejaw

Pausing in his cleaning of his boots, the Captain looks up. "That was supposed to do a bit more. It looks like the lion must have hit you harder than I thought."

He grabs the other two out of the top of his backpack, conveniently on the ground next to him. With the vials in hand, he stands up, walks over to Sigurds, presses them into Sigurds's hands. "Hopefully these should be enough."

He then strides over to his backpack again, and resumes his polishing his boots. After a minute, he sighs, and points to a small mar in the leather. "It seems that I shall need to have to replace the vamp on this boot. The lion's jaw did more than the lion did. But that can wait, unless one of you has the ability to cast Mending."

Hydra
2008-07-21, 04:14 PM
Sigurds

Catching the two vials, Sigurds takes a swig of the larger of the two, and looks much better than he did before.

"As much as I'd love to assist in that Captain, I'm afraid my abilities aren't such that I'm able to repair, but finding someone that can shouldn't be an issue."

Setting the vials down, Sigurds turns to Barnie.

"Do you think it's safe to stay the remainder of the night here, or should we move to more hospitable digs?"

Akiata
2008-07-22, 01:23 AM
J'barnabar

"Let's spend a bit longer on the road today before we set camp. We might be bothered by scanvengers, not to mention the rest of the pride if we stay here."

She checks her gear is in order, and makes ready to resume travelling.

Hydra
2008-07-22, 08:14 PM
Sigurds

"Figured as much. People need to be more courteous of our rest." Sigurds quips as he picks up the vials and shoves them into his pack before gathering up the rest of his things.

Ephraim
2008-07-22, 10:22 PM
You leave the dead lions to the crows and the hot, southern wind. Two more hours pass without incident. It is high summer and the sun remains well above the horizon even as the day dwindles. You have not seen any inns or other lodging along the dusty road. There is light enough, yet, that you might find someplace to camp; or you could approach one of the lonely farmhouses that you pass every few miles; or, despite your weary legs, you could press onward with the last hour of light, in hopes of finding someplace hospitable to stay for the night.

What do you want to do?

Apollyon
2008-07-24, 06:58 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"What are we going to do for the night? It's been a while since I've been this way.." His voice trails off, and he lowers his head so that his jaw touches his sternum.

After a minute, he raises his head again. "The last time I was here, there weren't any inns up ahead, but that was over a year ago. While it only takes around 3 months for a house-sized building to be built, I have doubts that anyone would have built one around here. So do we want to camp here or ask at one of the farmhouses?"

Hydra
2008-07-24, 09:01 PM
Sigurds

Sigurds scratches his head before responding, "slumming it" obviously not something he's accustomed to, even with his rather adventurous lifestyle.

"Are the locals even trustworthy in this immediate area? I'd rather not go from the lion's den to a potential prison cell."

Akiata
2008-07-25, 06:09 AM
J'barnabar

Unphased about the prospect of sleeping outdoors, Barnie says:

"I've got my tent... let's just camp eh? I'll even take the first watch."

Hydra
2008-07-25, 04:35 PM
Sigurds

"I can live with that... By the way, do either of you have a large ball of yarn? You know, in case the cats decide they want to play again."

Ephraim
2008-07-27, 10:33 AM
Having decided to spend the night under the summer stars, you begin looking for a suitable place to make your camp. Fortune favours you and just a few hundred paces across a field of fragrant clover brings you to the bank of a shallow pond. A nearby copse of half-wild cherry trees promises both fuel for your fire and a pleasant addition to your evening meal.

A ring of sooty stones and a patch of tamped earth suggests that you are not the first people to have discovered this place, although there is no indication that anybody else has been here recently.

Hydra
2008-07-30, 04:15 PM
Sigurds

Setting his gear down, Sigurds looks around the area.

"This seems as good a place as any I'd assume. I would prefer to take the last watch, I function better when I get a solid night's sleep prior."

Apollyon
2008-08-02, 10:21 AM
Captain Squarejaw

"I suppose that this isn't exactly the Troll's Jaw, but this will do. I shall take the middle watch. Just make sure that you wake me, Barnie." With that, he puts down his cargo, and starts setting up for the night.

Ephraim
2008-08-10, 09:10 PM
Having decided to make camp here, the party unpacks their gear, builds a fire in the old pit, and begins to settle in for the evening. After a supper of trail rations supplemented with cherries and a few minutes of weary conversation, Zigurds and Captain Squarejaw bed down while J'barnabar prepares to keep watch.

The first hour passes peacefully. The chirruping of tree frogs and the crackling of the fire are all that may be heard. J'barnabar has just finished walking the perimeter of the camp and has settled quietly back down when an out-of-place noise from the direction of the cherry trees disturbs the reverie. Before even a breath can be taken, there comes the sound of breaking branches followed by something colliding with the ground.

JRoxas
2008-08-31, 08:54 PM
Kumiko Mii

"Ow! Ugh, there goes trying to identify them unnoticed." She gets up, dusts herself off, and gets ready to talk, fight, or flee, depending on whether or not the campers are the people she's looking for.

Ephraim
2008-10-13, 08:46 PM
Kumiko must be very lucky indeed. Despite the noise that she has just made, nobody stirs in the clearing. There had appeared to be somebody awake and moving around just a few minutes ago, but whomever it was makes no overt moves toward the cherry trees.

Kumiko did not fall far and she collided with several branches on the way down, so she is bruised, but uninjured.

Kumiko, what do you do?

JRoxas
2008-10-14, 12:15 AM
Kumiko Mii

Kumiko pauses for a moment; after noticing that nobody seems to be approaching, she decides to once again try to get a closer look at the camp - this time, quietly on foot. Just as she gets close enough to be able to make anything out in the darkness, she feels a twig snap loudly beneath her foot. She freezes in place, waiting to see if anybody stirs.

Ephraim
2008-10-14, 07:53 PM
There still appears to be no motion from the camp. The dwindling glow of embers in the firepit faintly illuminates the side of a canvas tent. A twist of smoke drifts across the clearing and fills Kumiko's nostrils with the aroma of charred wood. Any nocturnal animals in the nearby brush have fallen silent for the moment because of the commotion. The noisiest thing here is Kumiko.

JRoxas
2008-10-19, 01:00 AM
Kumiko Mii

Kumiko sees the tent and wants to peek inside, but considering her exhaustion and lack of success at trying to scout quietly, she decides to call it a night. She finds a spot not easily visible from the camping sight, sits with her back to a tree, and tries to sleep.

Before long, however, Kumiko's eagerness to get the job done as well as uneasiness concerning the identity of the campers take over. She gets up, again approaches the camp, and decides to take a quick peek inside the tent.

Ephraim
2008-10-19, 03:08 PM
As Kumiko pulls open the tent flap, a gust of cool night wind disturbs the stillness, rustling the leaves of nearby trees and whistling over the tent's ropes. Zigurds, his feet sticking out from the end of his bedroll, feels the chilly air on his toes and awakens. In the darkness, he can only just barely see the cute, drowsy-looking female face peering into the tent.

Zigurds, what do you do?

Hydra
2008-10-19, 09:18 PM
Zigurds

Drowsily wiping the sleep from his eyes but unable to make out who it is, Zigurds stares blankly.

"Barnie, is that you?"

JRoxas
2008-10-22, 09:38 PM
Kumiko Mii

Upon seeing someone inside stirring, Kumiko quickly and not-so-quietly scampers away from the tent, a little upset that she didn't really get to make a friend-or-foe identification.

A few dozen paces away, she trips and falls flat on her face.

Hydra
2008-10-23, 10:04 PM
Zigurds

Now throughly confused, Zigurds quickly gets to his feet and exits his tent. Spotting the unfamiliar individual on the ground, Zigurds quickly snaps his fingers, and a bright light luminates from his hand, allowing him to better survey the situation.

"So you're not Barnie, so I'd recommend identifying yourself quickly, lest I do to you as I did to the feline friends we made earlier."

OOC: Casting Light, targeting my hand.

Apollyon
2008-10-26, 07:07 PM
Captain Squarejaw

With the light illuminating much of the camp, it is now possible to notice the little fuzzy ball coming out of the Captain's tent. It strikes the ground and begins to change. Growing larger, it slowly starts to become a small quadriped. The legs grow sharp claws, the flesh becomes covered with a layer of fur, the head becomes distinct from the torso, the jaws fill with sharp teeth. A few seconds after hitting the ground, it is now recognizable as a wolverine.

Captain Squarejaw exits his tent and rises to full height, stretching his limbs.

"Where did Barnie go?"

JRoxas
2008-10-28, 01:23 AM
Kumiko Mii

Lying prone on her elbows, slightly quivering with fear, and forcing a smile, Kumiko makes ready for fight or flight as she asks in the most professional-sounding voice she can muster:

"Heh heh heh... ummm... I'm Kumiko, and I'm looking for a group of adventurers including J'barnabar Ripley, Hieronymous Squarejaw, and Zigurds. You wouldn't happen to be them, would you?"

Hydra
2008-10-28, 01:59 AM
Zigurds

"And if we are?"

Zigurds taps his foot impatiently, keeping his finger leveled at the stranger in their midst.

JRoxas
2008-10-31, 11:57 PM
Kumiko

She answers nervously, as though a mischievous child trying to explain her innocence after being scolded by her teacher:

"Umm... Denali Patchkin asked me to help you guys bring back the body of Elmo Constanz. It's kind of a long story."

Hydra
2008-11-01, 11:42 PM
Zigurds

Zigurds looks over the young woman in the light projected from his hand before lowering his other hand.

"Well, I suppose we do have time for a story, don't you agree Captain?"

Apollyon
2008-11-05, 09:38 PM
Captain Squarejaw

Captain Squarejaw settles back into a rigid stance, his stretching completed."This wouldn't have happened at the Troll's Jaw...", he murmurs.

"Since I'm up, and not doing anything else, please share your story."

He calls over the Wolverine, who trots over. He instructs the Wolverine to sit, then proceeds to take a seat on its back. The wolverine bristles, visibly upset. He reaches down, attempts to pat the wolverine's head, and recoils his hand to avoid being bitten.

JRoxas
2008-11-11, 10:02 PM
Kumiko

Kumiko gets up and dusts herself off. Following a curtsy, she begins telling her tale. She tries to speak formally, as she was taught while growing up. It is apparent that Kumiko is not used to speaking this way, as her formality sounds choppy and forced.

"I am Kumiko Mii, a traveling cleric. A few days ago, I encountered a Paladin chantry and they asked me to perform a service for them. One of their members, Sir Kevin Robertson, had fallen in the line of duty. A letter had arrived for him, inviting him to attend a memorial for his friend Elmo Contanz. They asked me to travel to Zazoo to inform Denali Patchkin of what had happened to Sir Kevin. I had nothing else to do, so I accepted their request. Upon its completion, Denali asked me to catch up with you and assist in you quest."

Kumiko's formality breaks down.

"As far as me personally and why I'm a traveling cleric... that's a secret!" She smiles and winks.

Hydra
2008-11-12, 03:28 AM
Zigurds

Zigurds lowers his guard a bit, intrigued by the young lady's story.

"Hmm, seems reasonable enough, although I do think it would be proper for me to ask if you still had that letter in your possession? Considering the things I have heard since Elmo died you cannot possibly fault me for being a bit...cautious, now could you?"

Zigurds glances over to the Captain, shaking his head a bit when he notices his campanion's rather...unique choice of furniture.

"Any chance you can get the fire started back up for us? I unfortunately never mastered the less...destructive uses of it."

Apollyon
2008-11-15, 06:37 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"It appears that I stand corrected. Or, in this case, sit corrected. If Kevin was to be the fourth, then I shouldn't have said that he didn't honor his commitments, given that he was slain in the line of duty. Ah!"

With that interjection, the Captain grabs the jaw of the wolverine, who had finally managed to nip his fingers. The wolverine releases the finger.

"I suppose that's what I get for playing with it. How did you manage to find Denali, Kumiko? I find that he's a tough man to locate."

JRoxas
2008-11-16, 12:25 AM
Kumiko

"Well, I reached Zazoo and had no idea where to look, so I started asking around. Before long, Denali approached me himself. That mean old man even made fun of me! He told me that if someone was looking for him meaning to do him harm, there's no way that person would have searched so obviously. I guess I wasn't exactly discrete about looking for him, but still!

Kumiko closes her eyes takes a deep breath, relaxing the pouty look on her face.

"Anyway, I still have the letter. You can look at it if you want, but I need to keep it because the chantry eventually wants it back."

Hydra
2008-11-16, 12:31 AM
Zigurds

"I would like to see it yes."

Zigurds then shakes his head at Squarejaw's antics with his perch.

"You're just not happy unless you're attempting to snatch things from the jaws of defeat, are you?"

JRoxas
2008-11-16, 12:45 AM
Kumiko

Kumiko cheerfully reaches into her bag and hands Zigurds the neatly-folded letter. She then leans in close and whispers something to him.

"Um... not to intrude, but should I ask him if he needs help? He's bleeding, but I'm kind of scared of the animal."

Hydra
2008-11-16, 12:49 AM
Zigurds

Zigurds opens the letter, reading it over and checking to make sure it is in fact similar to the one he received. Upon hearing Kumiko's request, Zigurds looks up.

"I wouldn't worry about it, that man has more lives than a weretiger, although I must say his choice in furniture is rather lacking, I would've gone with sheep-skin myself."

OOC: Would I be able to tell if this is the same as my letter or not?

Ephraim
2008-11-16, 01:06 AM
The gist of the letter is the same although a few of the lesser details are different. Without digging out your letter, if you still have it, you wouldn't be able to say for certain that the handwriting is the same.

Hydra
2008-11-16, 01:10 AM
Zigurds

Unable to tell the authenticity of the letter on a glance, Zigurds reaches into his bag, pulling out his own letter and comparing the two.

Apollyon
2008-11-16, 09:37 AM
Captain Squarejaw

The Captain holds up a rusty cloth bag.

"This doesn't create sheep, as far as I've managed to find. It creates wolv, wolf, boar, and bear. Also, Kumiko, you don't really need to worry about this guy here. He only managed to catch me by luck. If he really gets upset, I'll just unsummon him."

With that said, he releases the wolverine's jaw.

JRoxas
2008-11-16, 08:40 PM
Kumiko

"Okay. That's comforting."

She lets out a light, relaxed yawn and stretches.

"It isn't too late to get in some sleep, is it?"

Hydra
2008-11-17, 05:33 PM
Zigurds

Satisfied that the letter is real (at least, Zigurds doesn't feel Kumiko is capable of such a forgery), he pockets his own letter before handing the other one back to Kumiko.

"Sleep is likely a good idea, but I don't know if I want to do that before finding out where Barnie went... Any ideas Captain?"

Apollyon
2008-11-18, 09:28 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"You guys go to sleep. I guess that I'll take watch. We can find her first thing tomorrow morning."

With that, the Captain gets up into a kneel, grabs the wolverine's jaw before it gets a chance to bite him, and says to the wolverine, "Back to the bag for you."

He enters the tent and quickly returns with a small iron griddle, a bowl, and some food. Setting it aside for the moment, he throws a couple of small sticks on the fire. Once they catch, he puts on some big ones, and in short order, there's a decent fire.

Once the fire is warm, He puts some dried meat on the griddle, and warms it up. He then puts on some dried beans with some water. After those are warm, he puts them into the bowl and starts to warm up some flatbread. He then puts the beans and the dried meat in the middle of the heated flatbread, folds it up, and starts to eat it.

Hydra
2008-11-18, 10:08 PM
Zigurds

"Alright... Just don't let the cat out of the bag."

Satisfied with his quip, Zigurds retires to his tent for the evening.

JRoxas
2008-11-19, 01:30 AM
Kumiko

"Goodnight, everyone!" She finds a nearby flat patch of ground and unrolls her sleeping bag. She first kneels on it to say some prayers, then reclines and quickly falls asleep.

Ephraim
2008-11-19, 12:50 PM
The remainder of the night passes uneventfully, whomever may be keeping watch. The sun rises and the dew on the grass begins to evaporate into mist. Those just rising from slumber find that J'barnabar has not returned to the camp.

A damp wind and a gloomy sky to the east suggest that the day will bring rain, but for the time being, the sun glimmers low in the southwestern sky.

You take your breakfast, make your morning ablutions, prepare your spellcasting faculties, and pack in the camp. Within sight of where you stand, the road begins to turn northward. According to Captain Squarejaw's map, if you march hard today, you will reach the the village of Callow by nightfall.

What do you do?

Hydra
2008-11-21, 02:41 AM
Zigurds

"Still no sign of Barnie? Hmmm...

Zigurds scratches his chin before adjusting his pack.

"I'm tempted to say we make for the town. Barnie's far more capable of handling herself out here than we are, and if she got captured we'd be wise not to bumble our ways into it as well."

JRoxas
2008-11-21, 02:57 AM
Kumiko

"I don't like the idea of leaving friends behind, even if it isn't one of my friends."

She looks a little disheartened.

"But... my assignment is to follow you guys, so I'll go along with whatever you choose."

Hydra
2008-11-21, 04:36 PM
Zigurds

"I can understand your concern, but if Barnie was captured we're better off completing our task and rescuing her after. Once we get to a bigger city we can find someone to cast some sort of divinity to locate her."

Zigurds surveys the land in front of him before glancing over to his companions again.

"Besides, I doubt Barnie would want us to botch this task because of her."

Apollyon
2008-11-25, 07:40 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"As much as I would like to go back, sleep in a decent inn like the Troll's Jaw, and talk to Luz to see if she can help us find Barnie, I must suggest that we press onwards. If Barnie ran away, bully for her. If she was kidnapped, they didn't disturb any of us in the tent."

Ephraim
2008-11-30, 10:30 PM
As you discuss J'barnabar's whereabouts, a flock of blackbirds erupts from the trees, wheels about overhead, and then flies toward the west. A feather drifts down and lands next to the fire pit.

Distantly on the road, the shape of a brightly-coloured wagon, traveling southward, begins to resolve through the morning fog. It would be easy to meet it before it rounds the bend, if you wish to inquire about the road ahead. You might delay your departure or skirt the road for a few kilometres and avoid any possible confrontation. Or you could take the road and hope to pass in silence.

How would you like to proceed?

JRoxas
2008-12-02, 02:07 AM
Kumiko

Kumiko seems excited at the prospect of having more people with whom to interact.

"Hey, let's go talk with them! Maybe they'll know something that'll help us!"

She hops up and begins to raise her hand to signal the approaching wagon, but then hesitates and turns to face her companions.

"That is, if it's fine with you guys. I guess we might be better off just walking on and minding our own business. Either way, though, I think we should get moving as quickly as possible so we reach the town before dark."

Hydra
2008-12-02, 10:28 PM
Zigurds

"As much as I enjoy good company on long trips, keeping a low profile is probably a good idea, wouldn't you say Captain?"

Apollyon
2008-12-06, 08:43 AM
Captain Squarejaw

"Why take a low profile? We are just a bunch of adventurers out to raid some dungeons and kill some dragons. Dungeons are always filled with loot, and you can make a cool helmet with a dragon skull, not to mention the dragon's hoard."

"Think about that image. Some guy is walking around with a dragon's head on his head as protection. That says 'The man walking around under this is tough as nails. He killed a Dragon'. And if it's something scary, or with some kind of sight-based attacks, just push up on the jaw and close it."

The Captain pauses for a second to let the others digest that thought, then plows on. "We also have the perfect small group. We have the Cleric for healing, the Fighter for fighting, and the Sorcerer for sorcerering. That is pretty much the optimal group for success in any sort of adventuring endeavor."

JRoxas
2008-12-06, 11:55 AM
Kumiko

Kumiko's face lights up as she adds, "And we might get to make some new friends!"

Hydra
2008-12-06, 03:48 PM
Zigurds

Zigurds scratches his chin for a moment before responding.

'Well, if they'e heading the same way as us I suppose it wouldn't delay us any. besides, not enough of the folk in this land know the tales of my many exploits."

Ephraim
2008-12-07, 11:51 PM
The wagon is not traveling in the same direction in which you are traveling. It is approaching the bend in the road from the north; you approached yesterday from the west.

If anybody with the wagon notices the enthusiastic Kumiko, there is no sign of it. As it draws nearer, you can see that it is pulled by a pair of mules. A third mule may be seen flanking the wagon and carrying a burden slung over its back. A small person on a pony appears to be riding behind.

Zigurds and Kumiko, though you are some distance off, you can make out the sound of jingle bells fastened to the mules harnesses.

Hydra
2008-12-15, 11:35 PM
Zigurds

Zigurds scratches his head, a bit perplexed.

"Why... why would they have bells attached to the mules? Wouldn't that just alert any bandits in the area that they were coming?"

Ephraim
2008-12-17, 10:08 PM
The wagon draws nearer still and you can now see that there are two additional wagons on the road behind it. The one in the middle is uncovered and many people are seated in it. Fragments of conversation and laughter carry through the morning air.

Uh-oh! You've been spotted. The driver of the lead wagon points in your direction and calls a warning. Two soldier-types ride forward from the rear of the caravan and draw bows. They urge their horses across the field at a walk. Halfway between the road and your encampment, they halt. One of them, a husky-voiced woman, shouts, "Do yourselves a favour and don't even think about causing trouble for these fine folks."

Hydra
2008-12-21, 03:05 AM
Zigurds

Zigurds calmly bows before responding.

"We are but travelers ourselves, wishing no ill will to anyone. Fharlanghn doesn't smile on those who bring trouble to others in their travels."

JRoxas
2008-12-21, 02:56 PM
Kumiko

After seeing Zigurds bow, Kumiko hastily does likewise. She prepares her formal voice.

"We are simply passing through and hope to reach Callow by nightfall. As he said, we don't mean any trouble. We would appreciate any information that would be helpful to our journey."

Ephraim
2009-01-11, 01:17 PM
The riders exchange a glance and then the second one speaks up. "If you are bound for Callow, I recommend you hurry," he says. "It will be hard enough for you to persuade them to allow you to enter the town by daylight. You won't be able to get in after dark. And trust me, you do not wish to spend the night exposed so close to the Downs. They have good reason to shut the village up tight after nightfall."

Apollyon
2009-01-11, 02:58 PM
Captain Squarejaw

"Are things really that bad in Callow? A few hours walk away, we were happily welcomed at the Troll's Jaw."