PDA

View Full Version : [Item]Anklets of Flying

dman11235
2008-03-12, 11:55 PM
So I was looking through sources to find an item that boosted fly speed. There weren't any. All of them boosted land speeds or granted fly speeds. So I made this item.

Anklets of Swift Flying
Price: 18,000 gp
Body slot: feet
Caster level: 5th
Aura: faint transmutation
Activation: -
Weight: -

These golden ankle bracelets have a feathered texture to them. They grant the wearer a +10 ft insight bonus to their fly speed. This bonus only works with natural fly speeds, and does not grant a bonus to flight garnered through magic, whether from items or spells. In addition, the wearer's maneuverability improves by one step.

Prerequisites: Craft Woundrous Item, fly or haste, the creator must have a natural fly speed.
Cost to Create: 9,000 gp, 720 xp, 18 days.

Stycotl
2008-03-13, 12:16 AM
cool. i like flying speed boosts.

DracoDei
2008-03-13, 01:44 AM
Torso slot makes more sense to me... and given that flight speeds already tend to be higher than land-speed, you ought to boost the speed bonus (and the price) or drop the maneuverability increase... because at that price every dragon CR ~10(?) or above worth its wisdom score would have a set, almost without exception.

Ethrael
2008-03-13, 02:05 AM
I like this, it's true that there aren't any spells/items that bost fly speeds, however I kinda do agree that somewhere else on the body would make sense as if you had a natural fly speed from wings or something, they'd be on your torso so maybe a belt or pendant?

dman11235
2008-03-13, 09:48 AM
I had my reasons for anklets: I was thinking of Raptorans, speed boosts and such fill the foot slot (robe and ring also work, but they work for anything. Literally.), I sort of have an image of Achilles in my mind. Like his shoes, but not shoes.

@Draco: would it be any worse than how every adventurer and intelligent monster worth his/her salt has Boots of Striding and Springing after level 10 or 12?

I had originally thought it may have been too much but I will consider a price increase. Also, the maneuverability thing is in there to make it more unique and interesting. I mean, if that wasn't there, why does this item have to be restricted to flight? Why not just be a boost to speeds in general (like monks and scouts)?

dman11235
2008-03-13, 08:17 PM
Items aren't really my specialty, so, given that the maneuverability boost stays, is it priced right? And is that amount of speed boost right? I think it would be, seems about right. I would like more opinions on the price (nothing personal Draco, I just like to be thorough).

dman11235
2008-03-14, 09:14 AM
I upped the cost, because an item was brought to my attention. I had originally put the maneuverability @ 9,000, but an item exists that has it cost 12,000.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-03-14, 03:50 PM
Looks good.

Oh, and it wasn't Achilles with the winged sandals. They were the messenger god Hermes's sandals, and the only mortal to wear them was Perseus, slayer of Medusa.

dman11235
2008-03-14, 04:29 PM
By Achilles I meant Hermes. I know my basic Greek/Roman pantheons, really! Stupid memory giving out again.

DracoDei
2008-03-14, 05:37 PM
I would like more opinions on the price (nothing personal Draco, I just like to be thorough).
Absolutely no offense taken... in fact, I am surprised you thought I might take offense.

dman11235
2008-03-14, 06:07 PM
I just didn't want you to think that I was ignoring you.