PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick Campaign Setting

DarkShard
2008-03-13, 09:23 AM
I am surprised that no one has thought of this yet. Let's make an Order of the Stick campaign setting. Preferably Rich will be able to help? It should have all the exclusive monsters, such as Guard Monsters, new gods, such as Thor, and of course new spells. Feel free to contribute.

Szilard
2008-03-13, 09:49 AM
Sounds good, maybe we have to make the goblins Medium.

Devin
2008-03-13, 10:42 AM
Knowledge(Metagaming.)

Burley
2008-03-13, 11:06 AM
Might I direct you... Here (http://apegames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=APE0600&Category_Code=)?

Rich made one. He sells it. It's magical.

Morty
2008-03-13, 12:43 PM
It would work, if not for the fact we don't really have a setting here, just a bunch of things needed for the comic's plot to hold together. So we'd be making 90% of the stuff up ourselves.

smart thog
2008-03-13, 01:06 PM
Theres a theory that the Order of the stick campaign setting is not being sold because it was Rich's entry to the Ebberon contest, and he's not allowed to sell it because of the rules they made on him.

ikrase
2008-04-01, 06:22 PM
We do not know that. Besides, it's not plagerism if we have a coincidence. Just ask the GIANT.

Rizban
2008-04-01, 07:25 PM
Theres a theory that the Order of the stick campaign setting is not being sold because it was Rich's entry to the Ebberon contest, and he's not allowed to sell it because of the rules they made on him.That would entail a double copyright. If that's the case, then they would have the copyrights to that particular writeup; however, being his original concept, and the fact that the setting is used in his webcomic, it would be possible, albeit shaky, to write up a new, yet similar, setting, provided it is in no way based on the original.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Rich would have signed away the rights on an OotS setting like that. I think his reasoning for not having one is more along the lines of the same reasoning he uses for not having specific character sheets: it gives him more freedom to spontaneously create new material to improve the humor and progress the story. If he had it all written down in an official tome, then he would be bound to what is bound in those pages. Also, each time he added something new or made any kind of change, the fans would be clamoring for updates to the stats, skills, and new gaming material. Frankly, I think attempting this would burn Rich out very quickly.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Anyway, I would be very interested to see a community project around building an OotS setting. I'd also definitely be interested in helping out where I can. Honestly though, I'd prefer it if Rich didn't help with the project. Mostly because of the burn out factor I mentioned earlier and that anyone else working on the project would end up doing nothing due to Rich being "in charge" or something ridiculous. There's not really any way for him to participate without essentially taking over every major aspect of the project. Also I think it would be more fun to have a setting made in honor of his creation rather than him creating it himself.

Khoran
2008-04-01, 07:32 PM
Theres a theory that the Order of the stick campaign setting is not being sold because it was Rich's entry to the Ebberon contest, and he's not allowed to sell it because of the rules they made on him.

It's also possible he doesn't want to lay down all the cards for the sake of his comic.