PDA

View Full Version : Adventurers vs Fairy Tales

gm_rand
2008-03-13, 11:18 AM
Okay so for year’s I’ve been toying with the idea of doing some of the classic fairy tales as adventures. I’m sure this has been done before but I just really liked the idea of the players doing all the work and prince charming getting all the credit. Problem was finding the right group of players. Luckily some of my gaming friends from back in high school after years of being apart (but still in contact) once again live close enough to manage a good gaming session about once every other month.

The first installment went well. I did “Little Red Riding Hood”. Substituted the big bad wolf for a werewolf and had the final battle be the rest of the pack coming after the party. The group loved it and found the fairy tale twist quite funny. I just hope with the cat out of the bag they can maintain interest

My next installment is going to be “Beauty and the Beast”. Now the main adversary in this is going to be Gaston and a bunch of his cronies. These were simple to create, NPC warriors with a few levels over the party and more numbers. But with me being me I try and provide players with a chance to really screw the pooch. So I need stats for the Beast. Most of the stuff I’ve thought of hasn’t really fit. I’ve already done werewolves with “Little Red Riding Hood” and don’t want them to become the over all theme in this game.

So who’s got a good “Beast”? Needs to give a party of the following a run for their money.

2nd level Goliath Barbarian (with Mt. rage)
2nd level Cleric 1st level fighter (human)
2nd level fighter 1st level ranger (wood elf)
3rd level Favored Soul (half elf)
3rd level Ninja (wood elf)
1st level Duskblade 2nd level Fighter (dwarf)

Also anyone know a good place to find castle layouts? Possibly already on a 5x5 grid?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-03-13, 11:39 AM
I'd say take an Orge, up its Intelligence and Wisdom, change the appearance to make it resemble the Beast, and give it two Claw attacks and a Bite attack.

Maybe add a few HD if you think the battle would be to easy otherwise.

TheThan
2008-03-13, 01:12 PM
That would work… or you could use a wear tiger and change it’s appearance and maybe increase it’s size by one category.

gm_rand
2008-03-13, 01:31 PM
Those both sound good. I might add a few levels of an NPC class to help up the HD plus it would go in line with the story bacground. He was a noble before he became a beast after all.

Mando Knight
2008-03-13, 01:36 PM
That would work… or you could use a wear tiger and change it’s appearance and maybe increase it’s size by one category.

Nah, use a Dire Were-lion. Then you get a large beast-man with a mane. Could be totally awesome.