PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] We are 'not' fluffy!

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-13, 11:40 AM
Dandifleur

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c273/AwakenedDreamer/RandomStuff/Dande.jpg

Fine Fey (extraplanar, swarm)
Hit Dice: 14d6 (49 hp)
Initiative: +13
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), Fly 50 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 27 (+9 dex, +8 size), touch 27, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/-
Attack: Swarm (3d6)
Full Attack: Swarm (3d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Captivate, distraction, faeshift, lighten, screech, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Immunity to weapon damage, low-light vision, quell the years, swarm traits
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +18, Will +11
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 29, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Hide +32, Intimidate +20, Listen +19, Move Silently +26, Search +17, Spot +19
Feats: Ability Focus (distraction), Disperse, Divide and Conquer, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative
Environment: Plane of Faerie
Organization: Swarm, Patch (2-5 swarms), Field (6-19 swarms)
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Any neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

This at first appears as a field of fluffy flower seeds, but as one nears, the fluff rises up and begins to twirl about in a wild, frantic dance alike to a whirlwind. They appear as minuscule humanoids of needle-thin bodies with elven features and stiff, bushy white hair. Sharp, thorn-like growths sprout in a line down the sides of their pale arms and legs.

Also known as blossom sylphs or weed elves, dandifleurs are one of the many guardians of the fey peoples. They disguise themselves as normal flowers, preferring locales that already posses such flora to further enhance their camouflage. Occasionally they'll cause a great wind to blow through, and they will scatter to a new locale and regroup, right under the noses of foes and friends alike.

Dandifleurs speak fey, though few can pick out individual voices amongst the masses.

Combat
Dandifleurs wait until they are sure their enemies are a threat and then rise up in a screaming tornado of enraged bodies that slash and lift and drop.

If it is merely a trespasser dandifleurs will often merely lift them and deposit them somewhere far away. Others are captured and taken to faerie to become prisoners in the home gardens of the dandifleurs.

Captivate (Sp): A dandifleur swarm can decide to withhold doing damage, but instead each round they can attempt to captive those within their space as the Charm Monster spell (DC 20 will negates). The save DC is Charisma-based.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to the swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a DC 19 Fortitude save negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.

Faeshift (Sp): A dandifleur swarm can teleport between the Plane of Faerie and the Material Plane at will as the Planeshift spell, except they arrive precisely where they wish and can take anything affected by their Lighten ability unless they succeed on a DC 20 will save. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Lighten (Su): A dandifleur swarm can, on their turn, lift up anything that fits whole within their space with no save.

Quell the Years (Su): If the swarm so wishes they can have those within their space protected from the affects of aging. For example, if a being has been trapped in the plane of faerie for hundreds of years and are brought back to the material plane, they do not crumble into dust, but remain as they were in faerie. If at any time the protected being leave the swarm's space while on another realm besides that of Faerie their age catches up with them as normal.

Screech (Ex): The angry voices of a dandifleur swarm causes deafness in those within 20 feet as long as they screech and for 1d4 rounds thereafter unless the victim succeeds on a DC 17 fortitude save each round. Those within 60 feet, regardless of the save, take a -10 penalty to Listen checks. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 10th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
At will - Gust of Wind (DC 15)
3/day - Wind Wall (100 ft. long/50 ft. high, DC 16)

-=-=-=-=-=-

Divide and Conquer [General]
Your swarm is capable of splitting up.
Prerequisite: Mob or swarm type, Int 1 or higher
Benefit: You may fragment yourselves into a number of individual units. As a move action the swarm may split into two identical swarms, each with half of the original’s current hit points (round down). The split swarm appears in an adjacent square. Each swarm may continue to split. A swarm with 5 hit points or less cannot be further split and is destroyed if reduced to 0 hit points.

Disperse [General]
Your swarm shape is erratic and unpredictable.
Prerequisite: Swarm subtype, Int 1 or higher
Benefit: The swarm may disperse, spreading themselves out thin. They move their base speed as a standard action, or 4x that as a full action, from the original square in a spreading sphere. The swarm must then spend these actions to regroup. While dispersed the swarm deals no damage to those within their area but can themselves suffer no damage from attacks. They may still be harmed by area affects, but only those that fully encompass the swarm's new area.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-03-13, 12:05 PM
Nicely done, VT.

Hazkali
2008-03-13, 02:40 PM
Is there any idea you can't make into a cool homebrew? :smallbiggrin:

What can I say? It's fey, therefore inherently cool. The swarm feats are also good, but do vermin get the feats to be able to take them?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-13, 02:50 PM
do vermin get the feats to be able to take them?
Nope, has to have at least some minimal intelligence as mentioned in the prerequisites.

Almost actually made the requirement to be sentient, but then there aren't that many of those.

RTGoodman
2008-03-13, 02:51 PM
Ah, in the spring a young Tribble's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of homebrewing... :smallbiggrin:

I like these. For the Disperse feat, it says they can deal no damage while dispersed - can they still use other abilities? For instance, can the Dandifleur still use their Captivate, Distraction and Lighten abilities while dispersed?

For Divide and Conquer, does the area of the split swarms change as they divide? So, do you get two 10' x 10' squares (like two normal swarms) or two swarms that are 5' x 10' (just dividing the original in half)?

Annarrkkii
2008-03-13, 04:45 PM
A quick question. Disperse confuses me slightly. It looks as though it makes the swarm immune to area effects that only cover part of it—meaning it takes absolutely 0 damage from having a burning hands spell through part of it, or a fireball catching for than half of it in its area?

Stycotl
2008-03-15, 12:56 AM
very nice. i like this quite a bit. you are very good at working with the fae. i'll resist the urge to call you a faerie though.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-03-16, 07:39 PM
Ah, in the spring a young Tribble's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of homebrewing... :smallbiggrin:
You betcha :smallbiggrin:

I like these. For the Disperse feat, it says they can deal no damage while dispersed - can they still use other abilities? For instance, can the Dandifleur still use their Captivate, Distraction and Lighten abilities while dispersed?
Nope, when the swarm is dispersed it is no longer properly a swarm

For Divide and Conquer, does the area of the split swarms change as they divide? So, do you get two 10' x 10' squares (like two normal swarms) or two swarms that are 5' x 10' (just dividing the original in half)?
Basically you now get two normal swarms.

Disperse confuses me slightly. It looks as though it makes the swarm immune to area effects that only cover part of it—meaning it takes absolutely 0 damage from having a burning hands spell through part of it, or a fireball catching for than half of it in its area?
It is immune because while dispersed the swarm is no longer a swarm. While dispersed it is basically impossible to kill, yes, unless the entire area is taken out.

i'll resist the urge to call you a faerie though.
Naw, not a faerie, though I have been told I'm a bit fey.