PDA

View Full Version : A Thousand Broken Mirrors

Ilora
2008-03-13, 01:04 PM
Setting:
The Triangle area of NC, USA. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are your three main "zones." Durham and Raleigh are more comfortable living spots since they're the most crime-ridden violent areas with the most people. Chapel Hill is infested with hippies and flower children, as well as a liberal University. There are some outlying areas, like Carrboro (poor stepchild to Chapel Hill, usually where the students live.), Cary (Where the rich yuppies who commute to Durham and RTP live), and Apex/Morrisville (where the non-rich yuppies who commute to Durham and RTP live.)

Elysium is in central Durham.

Court Notables

The Prince is a Ventrue bitch named Annaliese Kruger, known for her complete lack of a sense of humor, and her utter intolerance for the art of pantomime. She's been known to stake mimes to the wall with a sign reading "Learn the Words." Rumor has it she once spelled out the word "Dictactor" in six foot high letters using two segmented Brujah and a nailgun, so that everyone was quite clear on her style of governance. The Toreador sigh about her lack of appreciation for the arts, the Malkavians think she's hysterically funny, the Brujah enjoy having someone to rail against, and the Tremere have decided that the boat is just fine where it is, no rocking necessary thank you. The Gangrel seem to get along well with her, probably because of her sheriff Sally Mae, and the Ventrue are well in line to support her. Or stab her in the back. The Nosferatu seem to be firmly on her side for the most part, but they're not often at court, which is in opposition to their stated beliefs.
Quote: "You have no rights, except for those I choose to allow you. Including the one to continue your excuse for a life."

Her Sheriff is a buxom blond named Sally Mae Hutchison (yes, really) who reminds people of Dolly Parton. Big boobs, blue eyes, big teased blond hair, and a syrupy southern accent that seems like it grew out of Gone with the Wind. Some are inclined to not take her seriously. This does not usually last long. Those inclined to make jokes soon discover that Sally Mae, who is just sugar-coated sunshine and happiness on the outside, is a seething ball of vindictive bloodthirsty animal on the inside. And when she gets pissed, then the animal comes outside.
Quote: "Well, you MUST be new here, babydoll. Because everyone else in this room knows that I just can't stand being called "babe", and that it makes me want to break something. Now darling, let me give you just a teensy-weensy bit of advice, since you're in such a good position to listen, which is to say, about to be nailed to the wall. Most women don't like to be called "babe" nowadays. You seem like a nice boy. I'm sure that when I let you down in a few days, you'll have learned your lesson, and you'll make a very nice apology after your throat heals up, won't you, darling?"

There are three regular Harpies who flutter about, dispensing rumor, information, gossip, and outright fabrications with equal ease. They do have a bit of a rivalry going, since they all wish to be considered the most important of the three. The Prince however takes rather good care to balance out which one she gives which tidbit of information to.
Mary Madigan - A Ventrue who tries just a little too hard. While she's smart enough to maintain her position as a harpy, she always seems to be one of those people who does the right thing at the entirely wrong time, and blurts out awkward statements. She seems to specialize in tales of adoration about how AWESOME the Prince is, and is completely a total suck-up, but at least she's sincere in her hero-worship.
James Macabee - A Brujah who seems to specialize in passing on tales that portray the prince in a negative light. (He'll be happy to tell you his theory on the doorknob, for example.) Strange that he's still around considering he prides himself on being the only one at court "who sees what's REALLY going on.." He despises Mary.
Nicole Devrier - A Toreador who is arguably the most intelligent of the three. She obviously enjoys playing Mary and James against each other, and while they're partially aware of her machinations, they can't seem to bring themselves to believe that she's doing it on purpose. She plays the French aristocrat part, murmuring Victorian colloquialisms significantly, and likes to believe she's the only one who is really worth currying favor with at court, and therefore disdains those who seek out James or Mary for information, (even if they DO get it faster than she does.)

The Primogen Council: For the most part, they go along with the Prince's reign, and have only contradicted her wishes twice in the past twenty-three years. Are they whipped, or just old enough to realize that it could be worse? Maybe someone should ask. If you'd like to know who the primogen is for your particular clan, (if applicable), let me know.

OOC Thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4066208#post4066208

Ilora
2008-03-16, 03:23 PM
((OOC GM Note: Like I said, I am fairly unfamiliar with the Pbp setting, so if you have any formatting suggestions that would make it easier for you all, or are "traditional", please let me know via PM, and I'll be happy to try it out. In the meantime, all NPC characters will speak in magenta and the Prince will speak in red., so please pick another one for your character.))

And so it begins...

Mooney Dhoo, the first spoiler is yours.

As you stand there outside the door with that creepy knob, eventually you find it within yourself to open it and get it over with. And yes, it was just as bad as you thought it was going to be. Little icicle mice run up and down your spine when your hand touches the doorknob. As you open the door, and step inside, you realize that you are in the Prince's personal office.

The oak desk is massive, and intimidating, and very, very neat. Three phones rest on top, as well as a state of the art computer system. As you step inside, the Prince is sitting behind it, with that faintest hint of a sadistic smile at the corner of her lips.

You may have seen her in passing or from a distance to this point. She holds court twice a month, and the older vampires all sit in front. She rarely socializes in Elysium. Even so, you aren't quite prepared for the Nordic perfection of her features up close. Features that are too stamped with character and determination to be called beautiful. A femme formidable as Nicole Devrier is fond of saying with excessively French gestures and an exaggerated shudder. That doesn't even seem to cut it.

You feel painfully reminded of every second you hesitated outside and are quite certain that she never even pauses when she opens her door. The Prince has a force of personality, that fills the room, that has stamped itself on every inch of it. Everything screams the sort of regal domination and will that forges empires out of sand, and armies from nothing, and has never known the sting of defeat. And yet there are subtle, so very subtle quirks of a strange sense of humor. Every doubt you ever had about your own self-worth is magnified in her presence, as she waits for you to speak.

Sayn - this spoiler is for you.

As you stand there outside the door with that creepy knob, eventually you find it within yourself to open it and get it over with. And yes, it was just as bad as you thought it was going to be. Little icicle mice run up and down your spine when your hand touches the doorknob. The doorknob itself murmurs seductively about how good you taste. You feel vaguely dirty. As you open the door, and step inside, you realize that you are in the Prince's personal office.

The oak desk is massive, and intimidating, and very, very neat. Three phones rest on top, as well as a state of the art computer system. As you step inside, the Prince is sitting behind it, with that faintest hint of a sadistic smile at the corner of her lips. Sitting also in front of her is Nathaniel Svizic, that scruffy looking Ravnos.

You may have seen her in passing or from a distance to this point. She holds court twice a month, and the older vampires all sit in front. She rarely socializes in Elysium. Even so, you aren't quite prepared for the Nordic perfection of her features up close. Features that are too stamped with character and determination to be called beautiful. A femme formidable as Nicole Devrier is fond of saying with excessively French gestures and an exaggerated shudder. That doesn't even seem to cut it.

You wonder if the doorknob likes how SHE tastes, or if she likes the way it whispers. The Prince has a force of personality, that fills the room, that has stamped itself on every inch of it. Everything screams the sort of regal domination and will that forges empires out of sand, and armies from nothing, and has never known the sting of defeat. In your case, quite literally. Would someone please tell that desk to just shut the hell up? And yet there are subtle, so very subtle quirks of a strange sense of humor. Her pencil holder informs you that she likes to chew on the pencils when she's alone in thought.

TheRiov - this spoiler is for you!

As you stand there outside the door with that creepy knob, eventually you find it within yourself to open it and get it over with. Perhaps it takes a few moments, either to contemplate the pain of your last encounter with Annaliese, or to contemplate the gratitude you feel for that moment of clarity. After all, there is a rather clear message regarding those who were not considered worthy of survival in that odd doorknob, and possibly just a little savor of satisfaction, upon wondering whether your sire's fangs grace that doorknob, while yours do not. Despite this logical train of thought, little icicle mice run up and down your spine when your hand touches the doorknob as the blood in your veins recoils from that touch. An unconscious Pavlovian reaction. Interesting. As you open the door, and step inside, you realize that you are in the Prince's personal office.

The oak desk is massive, and intimidating, and very, very neat. Three phones rest on top, as well as a state of the art computer system. As you step inside, the Prince is sitting behind it, with that faintest hint of a sadistic smile at the corner of her lips. It widens just a little as you step in, before returning to that same reserved little smirk.

The last time you saw her was through a haze of pain and agony, or through the veil of fear at your sire's "trial". Even so, you aren't quite prepared for the Nordic perfection of her features up close, and without strong emotion adding skewed perspective. Her features that are too stamped with character and determination to be called beautiful, and you recall too well how they look when filled with cold implacable anger, or a merciless need to punish. A femme formidable as Nicole Devrier is fond of saying with excessively French gestures and an exaggerated shudder. She doesn't know the half of it.

The Prince has a force of personality that fills the room, that has stamped itself on every inch of it. Everything screams the sort of regal domination and will that forges empires out of sand, and armies from nothing, and has never known the sting of defeat. And yet there are subtle, so very subtle quirks of a strange sense of humor. You do notice that she happens to have a copy of your doctoral dissertation upon her desk. There are paperclips inserted at various points, and as familiar as you were with every page of that document, you realize that the marks indicate that she has read it, considered it, and apparently understood it. Also present in the room are the Ravnos Nathansomething or other, and that Malkavian shrink, Walker, wasn't it?

TheRiov
2008-03-18, 11:25 AM
{{Going to assume that's Majesty in action, I'm going to go for an Aura read on everyone in the room. }}

Rico steps forward, his eyes fixed firmly on the Prince. He offeres a stiff, but appropriatly low bow, turning his eyes down long enough to make it clear he's not challenging her.

"My Prince..." he murmers in a reverent, if forced voice. He rises again, and seems to make a concious effort not to stuff his hands in the pockets of his khakis. He flicks a glance down at the papers on the desk. His eyes widen slightly as he realizes what it is, but he does not question, and waits to be spoken to.

Monney Dhoo
2008-03-18, 11:47 AM
Nathaniel

Walking in to the room, Nathaniel bows gently. Taking in the room as he composes himself. After a few seconds he speaks politely, with a strong hint of apprehension showing through with his sightly Eastern European accent.

You summoned me, my Prince.

Shifting uncomfortably Nathaniel waits for a response from the Prince.

Sayn
2008-03-18, 12:33 PM
James

Listening half-heartedly to the noise that the furniture is making, he takes a few steps in and then bows, quite low.

Good evening, exalted Prince. To what do I owe the pleasure of being in your near vicinity? he says with a very slight hint at a smile.

He then takes a moment to take in the room. Pherhaps there's something even more enjoyable than the furniture?

Ilora
2008-03-20, 01:44 PM
[OOC: The Riov, please do your aura rolls - indicating ahead of time who you'll be scanning in what order. I would note that generally speaking, it's bad manners to use powers upon the Prince. Let's hope she doesn't notice.]

As the three of them gather, the Prince just holds up a hand, indicating a desire to wait before speaking. Approximately five minutes go by, before she shrugs, "I suppose the other two are proving difficult to find. Perhaps that is a good thing. Either way, we'll begin."

She then carefully looks at all three of you. "I have called you here to suggest to you a proposition. As you may or may not be aware, there are some .. interesting things taking place in Apex. Nothing substantial or substantive, yet Judas is having visions about it. Normally, I would dismiss these instances as superstition. But one of my childer went to Apex on a completely unrelated matter, and was accidentally locked into a building that caught fire." Those blue eyes are revealing nothing. Is this a serious concern? Is this a trick? Is it a wild goose chase? The rather dry tones of her voice seem to indicate that she doesn't believe the death of her childe was an accident at all.

"The rumors include those of some rabid animals killing some household pets in the more upscale neighborhood, and some mysterious reports of livestock attacks. Also, interesting, to my mind, is the fact that mysterious disappearances reported to the police have declined, while brutal murders have increased." There is a pause. "I have spoken to Sally Mae, and she does not believe that any of the Gangrel known to the court have gone rogue."

"I would like to create a small coterie, or I suppose the modern buzzword is "task force" to investigate if you will. You are all relatively unknown here in court, and if you are ... shall we say discreet? you may have a chance of success. Of course, I am always appreciative of those willing to assist the Court in these sorts of matters, but you should not feel obligated in any way..."

Why does your blood run cold at that little smile tagged onto that last insincere sentence? She pauses a moment to let that statement sink in, with all its little pointy bits showing, before continuing, "I do not wish to discuss the matter further, if you are not interested, but if you are, I will of course make what little information there is available to you. And of course, if you do NOT wish to accept this task, I will have to take steps to ensure you do not speak of it."

Long white fingers lazily intertwine themselves as she clasps her hands together on her desk. "Well?, she asks.

Ilora
2008-03-20, 02:05 PM
James Spoiler
As you look around the Prince's office, you notice a couple of things that stand out to you. One is a book left sideways on the shelf that is considered the textboot authority on dream interpretation with some very interesting chapters on precognition and empathy, written by a fairly eminent psychologist in the 1960's. You also notice that there is a chess game set up behind her, but it's a game that couldn't ever have been played. It looks like someone set the pieces up at random. Both queens are missing, yet the rest of the set appears to be present.

Nathaniel Spoiler
Being the first to arrive, the Prince just merely gestures to a seat in front of you, and continues writing something on a legal pad neatly. When the door opens admitting the second visitor, she puts it away. You aren't terribly perceptive, but you do notice that she has a rather odd assortment of junk in the room. A chess set that appears to be set for a game, some random books on screwy subjects and a few odd pictures that tend towards the abstract impressionism of the 18th century.

Rico Spoiler
Being the last to arrive you don't have that much time to look around. But you do notice your thesis, and you realize that she was looking specifically at the part dealing with genetic manipulation and its effects upon the subjects' temperaments. After all, quite a few genetic experiments tend to leave the results hyperaggressive, unstable, or unpredictable in behavior.

Monney Dhoo
2008-03-20, 02:23 PM
Noticing what the Prince was implying by saying 'ensuring you do not speak of it?' Nathaniel quickly decides what ever will come of this investigation it can't be as bad as the fate th Prince would have planned for any who refuse.

I am, Of course, happy to serve in any way I can."

After speaking he tries to smile enthusiastically and listens to the others reactions.

Sayn
2008-03-20, 03:02 PM
James

I will, of course, serve whatever purpose you have in mind for me. He adds wide smile, showing a lot of teeth. He couldn't help himself. It was either that, or to laugh out loud. That desk must've been a stand-up comedian before turning into a desk. Or pherhaps, telling jokes is the only way to pass time when you're not able to move? This must be explored at some other time.

TheRiov
2008-03-20, 03:06 PM
[http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4081574&posted=1#post4081574
Prince: fail, Walker: 1 success, Svizic, 1 success --assuming a 1 still cancels a success]

"Of course, My Prince. I will, of course, be at your command, though I am not certain I'm the correct Kindred for the job, I will do everything in my power to assist. I do, though have a few questions." he rearranged his shirt and his distorted face wrinkles as he tries to organize his thoughts. "Your phrasing seems to indicate you feel there was some connection between all these events, or is that a misinterpetation on my part? I gather you had your own advisors do an initial investigation... would it be permissable for me to look..." he hesitates and corrects himself, "for US, to utilize them as a resource in the future?"

He hesitates a long moment, "Would you want us to start now? I do have a few time-sensitive experiments, but if in your judgment, this is more critical, I will certainly be willing to set them back."

Ilora
2008-03-20, 04:12 PM
The Prince murmurs smoothly, "Your enthusiasm to assist gladdens my heart. It's always so nice to see that the cynics who claim young vampires are nothing more than self-serving opportunists aren't always correct. She reaches into a drawer, and pulls out three identical looking reports complete with color coded protectors. She holds them out.

"I suggest you get acquainted with each other, and discuss your plan of attack." As Rico states his unsurety, she simply responds "I, however, am sure that you are perfectly suited for the job. Which is why I am asking you three, and possibly a couple others to do it. All the information at my disposal is in these reports, and I suggest you run along now and get busy.

At Rico's statement regarding time, those blue eyes glint, as she says, idly, "Your priorities of course, are entirely up to you, but I had understood you to be a man who took possible threats seriously." Whether she's speaking of the unknown threat in Apex, or the threat she levelled in their direction a few moments ago, is not clear.

Ilora
2008-03-20, 04:38 PM
The Dossier, assuming you take it.

The reports are unsigned, and describe what seems like a standard investigation procedure. Reports taken from the families who were victimized by the brutal murders as well as those who lost family pets make up about 23 pages, while copies of official police reports for each appended make up 48 more. (Holy cow is THAT ever a violation of protocol.)

The family pet reports all seem to feel that there's either a cougar or some abnormally large and vicious animal about, though bite impressions couldn't be taken due to the nature of the wounds. They describe the animals as severly mauled and the pictures look more like fuzzy hamburger than animals.

The brutal murder victims all seem to have died bloodily and messily, and the official COD on quite a few of them is exsanguination. They've also been found in about a ten mile square, ranging almost to Durham and Holly Springs. There seems to have been no trouble taken to hide the bodies from discovery, and the forensic reports are irritatingly unhelpful. There were a few bite marks post mortem on two of the bodies. that were cast but defined rather unhelpfully as "Possible cougar, coyote, wolf, or human with dental prothesis. Most likely scavenger." Two however were bludgeoned to death with an unknown object with the force of a sledgehammer, one was stabbed multiple times, one was strangled by hand, and one was hacked into pieces and stuffed into garbage bags.

The victims themselves range rather interestingly. 1 40 year old black male security guard walking home (bludgeoned), two college co-eds, one blond (bludgeoned), one brunette(stabbed), one 38 year old brunette female of the dumpy persuasion (garbage bags), and one 17 year old male junkie (strangled).

The police are not considering them connected, since the methods are so different and what little forensic evidence there is seems to hint at multiple killers.

Added to this list are the details of the Ventrue childe that was burned alive by accident. In this case, the investigator makes a note that she believes the door was blocked by something very heavy judging from the dents in the aluminum door which were made from the inside, which look like fist and foot impressions. The building was a supply shed near the railroad tracks and was soaked in accelerant.

The synopsis seems to be the suspicion that the deaths ARE related simply because the complete lack of any forensic evidence is suspicious, as is the sudden death of the Ventrue. As to what or whom or where, well.. that seems to be completely lacking, though they do mention that the security guard worked at the railroad on weekends, and that the drug traffic in Apex sometimes deals down near that side of town.

There's also appended a single page, written in a very neat copperplate hand. However, along the top is printed neatly, "From the Troubled minds of Judas I-Scare-Me." It has the following paragraphs.

"John, john the tinkers son, went with gypsies now he's gone. Gone with the wind was a nice movie. Who saw the blind man run? That's the question isn't it? Be careful children lest ye fall into the pits of hell and be chewed up by the ghosts of cookie cookie, I like cookie. C is for cookie. That's good enough for me. Death isn't real. Neither are you. Shadow monsters swirling deep, soon to come and make me sleep. But I'm not tired mommy. NOT TIRED NOT TIRED NOT TIRED. (that is written in capitals and so hard the pencil tore the paper on occasion.) BURN IN HELL YOU VENTRUE B****ididn'tmeanyoumommypleasedon'thurtme. Jesus loves me, this I know. For the devil told me so."

Also scribbled across the bottom, "Have definitely verified Judas's whereabouts on night of Amelie's death. Judas did not start fire."

Monney Dhoo
2008-03-20, 05:58 PM
Nathaniel

Thank you my Prince, it will be a pleasure to serve

Nathaniel takes the dossier and bows deeply before starting to edge towards the door.

This, of course shall be my primary concern 'til this mystery has been solved my Prince. Now with your leave, I feel it would be best if we got started.

Nathaniel twists his head and looks at the door in the corner of his eye for a second before returning his eyes to the Prince.

Sayn
2008-03-20, 06:56 PM
James

James gets up and bows exactly as low as when he first came in.

I will become your Sherlock, and will find out whom the true villain is.

The last page in the dossier was the one that James liked the most. Ah, the wonderful construction of a twisted mind. Maybe he'll be the one to straighten it out?

He says nothing more until he and his newfound companions are outside the door. From the sounds of it, you'd almost believe that a Lupine had somehow gotten into the city. But that would seem unlikely, no? He adds a smile to the sentence.

TheRiov
2008-03-21, 08:59 AM
Rico accepts the dossier, flinching only slightly as he takes the report from her. He immediatly flips to the opening page, and begins perusing its contents. Rico drifts back to his spot, engrossed in the paper. "Can I write on these?" he asks, without looking up, and fishing in his breast pocket for a pen. Finding one, he tucks the pen behind his misshapen ear--he seems to have tuned out most of the world and isnt even waiting for an answer as he starts flipping through the report. "I'm not certain I have the facilities or contacts to help with some of the methods of investigation we'll need to follow on this. Would the Prince be willing to make some of her contacts available to us? I understand your need for keeping this on the QT, but being able to better analyze this data by consulting with some of your experts might be the difference between solving this and not."

TheRiov
2008-03-21, 03:28 PM
{{First opportunity:Rico will be going over all the crime scene photos with heightened senses, and doing my own analysis of bite marks etc. Then will be doing the standard Map & Push-pin analysis of trying to find a geographic location map and comparing that with a date & Time on all incidents--throwing in cross referencing by Lunar cycle, Basketball games, concerts, pretty much any local event. }}

Ilora
2008-04-03, 08:54 AM
[First off, an apology. I've been in hospital with pneumonia. I am now better. Wasn't allowed/able to sit up at a computer for a few days. Hope you're all still here.]

The Prince just nods to Nathaniel, and replies to Rico, "But of course. They are your copies to do with as you will. At his request for contacts of facilities, the Prince just says quite cooly, "I've already assessed your facilities and abilities, and find them sufficient at this point. If, however, you should discover something, then at that point I may reconsider my views. If I wanted my experts to look at this data, I assure you, I would have already done so, and those whom I did wish to look at the data, have written the reports you hold in your hand."

The door opens, in response to a silent summons, as one of the Prince's childer bows. It's obviously a dismissal, as he very politely ushers them back to the main area of Elysium.

Spoiler for Rat - (excuse the ramrod please.)
Well, you were out a bit late and got to Elysium fairly early in the morning. No less than six people inform you that the Harpies are looking for you. One mentions that you're late for your appointment with the Prince. Wait.. What appointment?! Oh cripes. As you run frantically down the hallway, that French harpy stops you with an elegant hand. "You're late for your appointment. The Prince has moved on to her other scheduled appointments, but asked me to give you this, and to go speak to that little group of people standing over there." The fingers point to a trio of people being ushered back unctiously from the Prince's office, in which are standing Rico, James, and Nathaniel. She hands you a copy of the dossier, and a brief note is scribbled on top in a strong hand.

"We hope you are worth your reputation."

OOC: Rico - roll me Int + Academics vs 7 please to see what patterns you put together.

TheRiov
2008-04-03, 09:43 PM
[roll0]

Rico, now lost in the mystery does little more than a half bow on his way out, peering intently at the documents. He gnaws on his own distorted lip, mumbling to himself trying to see patterns.
Once out of the Princes chamber he all but ignores his new teammates and starts flipping back and forth.

TheRiov
2008-04-03, 09:45 PM
ooc: #$%# forgot this doesn't break down dice

Intelligence + Academics = 4+4
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Sayn
2008-04-04, 08:18 AM
James

((OOC: This is just in case you forgot my earlier post))

He says nothing more until he and his newfound companions are outside the door. From the sounds of it, you'd almost believe that a Lupine had somehow gotten into the city. But that would seem unlikely, no? He adds a smile to the sentence.

Ilora
2008-04-04, 12:59 PM
For Rico

As you read it through the first time, and then a second time, your brain rearranges the information, sorting and classifying it automatically.

And you notice that there's something pertaining to the railroads near each of the murders. If the tracks don't run close to them, then the bodies were dumped near a switching station, or next to a fuel yard. The fact that the Ventrue child was killed in the actual railyard seems to confirm this hypothesis.

When you look at the animal attack photos, you have a hard time believing this was done by an animal, even a rabid one. The kind of damage and destruction that was done is more appropriate to several rabid angry creatures acting in concert, since there's no "defense" side to the victim. Unless the creature flipped over the corpse, and then mauled the second side, this does not make sense.

Also, you realize why the report seemed to think the bites were inflicted by scavengers. They're not in the right positions for someone alive being attacked by an animal. An animal doesn't bite on the inner thigh of his victims, or on the back of the arm. Classic defense wounds are completely absent, which seems to rule out the attack. Also, the bite patterns are messy, as if instead of a firm bite, the animal decided to just chew for a bit. This just seems.. disorganized and random, and was therefore dismissed by the police as irrelevant.

eex
2008-04-07, 09:33 AM
Rat

"Eh late for my talk with the prince... Baaad idea Rat, bad idea."

A Nosferatu you all have seen at least once at Elysium comes up to you with a smile on his broken face and a file with something scribbled on in his hands. He looks you all over before he speaks.

"Rats the name and it seems like I'll be working with y'all from now on"

He lifts his hat and scratches the top of his head while looking at Rico.
"I wonder who looks worse, him or me"

TheRiov
2008-04-07, 01:55 PM
Rico lifts his eyes from the report to glance at the speaker, "True enough. Shall we have a pagent? I have to say, I think I've got an advantage when it comes to the swimsuit category, but you might just have me in the evening gown competition." he pulls the pen from behind his ear and jots down a couple of notes before returning it, "In any event, I suppose we're supposed to be working togeather." he extends his hand over the report without looking up, "Call me Rico. I usually dont answer to anything else. Before you get started, No I'm NOT one of your clanmates, so dont go asking me to join you in the sewers. No clue who these other two are. I work over at the university in the Genetics labs, so I guess thats why I got tapped for this" he hefts the report lightly to indicate what 'this' is. "So why did you folks get picked?"

Sayn
2008-04-07, 02:34 PM
James

James extends his hand to Rat after Rico, and smiles big and wide.

Why is he called Rat? Is it merely because he resembles one, or maybe he just likes rats? Well, he certainly is much too large to be compared to a rat. Though, there might be a race of super-rats, roaming the sewers of the cities. Maybe Rat knows them? Perhaps I should ask, later.

A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Rat. I'm the one they usually call James. They might have other names for me, though none that I've been around to hear.

When Rico inquires about why they were picked, he answers with My field of expertise would be that of the mind. Leave it to me to find all the nice little things in the minds of the ones we're dealing with.

Monney Dhoo
2008-04-08, 06:25 AM
Nathaniel

Nathaniel looks quietly at Rat while he introduces himself and the others respond. All this time his face remains quite blank, almost to the point of being grim. When everyone else has finished, he nods at Rat.

Good evening, Mr Rat, looks like this Motley Crew just keeps getting stranger and stranger.

He then pauses a second before extending his hand to Rat.

A few seconds after shaking hands he continues,

As to why I was picked, I have no clue, but from the group of us I'd suspect our good Prince wasn't after the most respectful group she could find.

He quickly scans his eyes over the rest of the group.

As for my skills, they aren't as specialised as the rest of your's, but I am a bit of survivor, I am used to both urban and countryside. There is also my ancestry, which if you don't realise I won't go in to here, which gives me an incite in to the supernatural.

Now if we are ready, it might be an idea to get started tonight, I wouldn't mind seeing one or two of the crime scenes, but I am not the expert here.

TheRiov
2008-04-08, 08:13 AM
{{OOC: Its probably safe to say the Prince would have publicized my backstory pretty heavily (at least Rico's disfigurment and WHY). The whole point was to make an example of it.}}

Rico thumbs through the reports to find the most recent one. "I think our only chance of finding anything useful is going to be the freshest of these. Unless any of you have a contact at the local Police department, we're still going to have to be the last on the scene, meaning all the good evidence has been picked over. A police scanner or someone who works in the 911 office would do a world of good. In fact if this does turn out to be some sort of Masquarade breach, I'd rather we cut them off before the police get there in the first place. It would mean we get first crack at the evidence. Besides, I'm sure the Prince has her own squad who deals with covering up that sort of thing, but God help us if we don't tread lightly here and do something to make their job more difficult."
He finally puts down the report. "Ok. First things first. If we're going to play CSI here, lets do it right. Cell Phones. Everyone needs cell phones, preferrably with a good data connection. No one works alone. We've all seen enough X-Files to know that the guy who's investigating the paranormal alone gets stuck in the weird government train full of alien autopsies." he stops to consider, "I've got access to the University labs so we can do some stuff with rudimentry DNA analysis. I've gotta show you guys what to get for me so we're going to need sample containers. I can probably snag that from the labs. Digital cameras & Normal cameras and a darkroom we can't take this stuff down to the CVS Pharamacy to have printed. I dont want us to miss something on a first pass that we can't duplicate later. Always get photos of everything from all angles."

He flips one of the pictures up displaying a bite victem badly mauled. "No feeding. I want to know whats chewing on this stuff without having to pick through your teethmarks too. And if this does turn out to be werewolves or something-- I want a defense. I hate to say it, but I'm not much gunplay, but it wouldn't hurt to at least to have something to hurt whatevers out there. Since we dont know, we need to be prepared. Silver rounds. Iron rounds. Any other "just in case" weapons we should have?"

"I can get us the cell phones, and I have a computer at my place, rubber gloves, sample containers I can nick from the university. Little out of my depth on weapons though, someone know a good place to obtain firearms, and some 'specialty' ammunition?"

Sayn
2008-04-08, 08:43 AM
James

I already have a cellphone, and would be happy to give you my number.

He stops to think for a moment, and then says:

Would it be alright if I take a look at that last page in the dossier? It's just so strangely intriguing.

((James does a quick check, to see if he can decipher anything from that page.))

eex
2008-04-08, 09:36 AM
Rat

Rat listens to Ricos rant and smiles. "Yeah I can get guns" he rubs his thumb against one of his monstrously large corner teeth "Probably a police scanner as well come to think of it. Though I'll need some help with the payment, my guy ain't cheep and I'm a little low on scratch at the moment..."

"As for the reason I was chosen for this group, I'd assume it had some sh*t to do with my contacts in the underworld and now, after listening to you, I'm feelin' pretty sure I'm worth more in a fire fight than any of ya." He says this without sounding the slightest bit smug, more matter of factly.

TheRiov
2008-04-08, 09:55 AM
Rico rolls his eyes, "You know this is America, that whole 'right to bear arms' thing in the second ammendment. I'm not wanting uzis. There's no call for blackmarket for that stuff. Its more the specialty ammunition that concerns me."

eex
2008-04-08, 10:05 AM
Rat

"Pah, you can't get a gun just like that, It takes some time to get clearance, unless you want some worthless peashooter, and that crap doesn't even work on mortys... What use will it be against kindred or Lycans?"

Monney Dhoo
2008-04-08, 01:21 PM
Nathaniel

I know a couple of cops, they are only beat cops, but they may be able to give me a heads up if anything like this happens again. And Rat, so we aren't all necessarily Rambo types, who spend all their time walking round with a canon strapped to their chest, but it doesn't mean we don't know how to handle ourselves in a fight.

TheRiov
2008-04-08, 01:41 PM
{{OOC: just looked up NC's gun statues. Permits are required, but can be obtained with minimal effort. (background check) you're allowed 1 handgun, or any number of long guns. Concealed Carry requires a gun safety course & a psychologists note that you're not crazy. heh. Since Rico is still well within the age of normal human, and not registered as dead anywhere, there should be no issues with him getting a permit}}

Rico shakes his head, "Why do things the hard way? Just get us the ammunition. Ok. I suggest we adjourn for 2 hours and meet back at," he flips through the pages to the most recent crime scene, "here." he points at the map. "Get any supplies you need. If you need me to get a phone for you I'll go out and obtain one. The guns will have to wait. I want to get on this."

eex
2008-04-08, 02:21 PM
Rat

Nathaniel
And Rat, so we aren't all necessarily Rambo types, who spend all their time walking round with a canon strapped to their chest, but it doesn't mean we don't know how to handle ourselves in a fight.

"Whoa! No need to get your panties in a bunch, I just tried to figure why I'm part of this haunted carousel of broken clowns."

He turns to Rico
"You still need a permit, and I bet thats gonna take a while..." He sighs "Whatever, Try to do it yourself and I'll get a gun for me. Do we need a police scanner or not?"

Sayn
2008-04-08, 02:50 PM
James

James chuckles at Rat's talk about a "haunted carousel of broken clowns". Such a wonderfully interesting idea.

I happen to have one of these... peashooters you mentioned. Although, since this job might require some heavier equipment, like maybe a cannon strapped to your chest, I'd like to get me a larger boom-stick. He ends the sentence with yet another of his smiles. So I guess I'll take you up on your offer, Mr. Rat.

TheRiov
2008-04-08, 03:01 PM
"Just get us something that would affect Garou or Faeries or whatever else is out there. Kindred too for that matter. Fire's always good. Phospherous shotgun shells or something. I got no desire to be offed by someone who has a bone to pick with the prince. And someone who hasn't been used as the prince's personal Picasso, please go ask her if we can at least get the 911 lines tapped so we can head off the police and maybe get a good look at the scene." he considers, "You guys solve the weapon situation. I'll deal with communication." he grimaces at Rat, "I'd prefer it if you didn't come in in my ride I just got it detailed."

Monney Dhoo
2008-04-08, 03:15 PM
Nathaniel

As the discussion about guns continues, Nathaniel shakes his head, wondering why Caneites would really care about the cattle's laws on weaponry that is easily hidden.

If the plan is to meet at this site in two hours, I'll be off, I need to get some things it isn't a good plan to bring to court. Rico, I have a cell, but it is an old brick with no functions other than phone calls, if you think it would be useful, I'll take one, but its your call.

He then turns to Rat. Looking like he is about to say something, but after a few seconds here turns and walks out of court and heads out to his bike.

Nathaniel will head back to the bar where he works, get his gun, sword, brass knuckles. He will also leave a message with the other bar staff for one of his cop contacts to meet him early evening the next night. He will then head out to the meeting point, aiming to arrive a bit early, and hang around watching whats happening.

TheRiov
2008-04-10, 01:17 PM
Rico shrugs, "We're agreed then? 2 hours." seeing no dissent he turns to leave, still flipping through the reports with interest.

{{ooc: Rico's going to swing by his local Cell phone retailer and pick up 3 cellphones --high end, full data package, push to talk, text messaging, bluetooth headsets for hands free--the works. Then he'll run to the lab, try to get some sundries--rubber gloves, sample containers, etc. If there's additional time he'll poke around on the internet and campus online library for any similar references, specifically looking for information as it might pertain to railroads.}}

Ilora
2008-04-11, 04:35 PM
OOC: You can do two things.. You can roll the same dice as Dem 3 to try and read the Malkavian Madness network subtext in the piece - this will require 3 rounds of concentration, to be played appropriately. You know Judas I-Scare-Me IS a real seer, though not every thing he sees is a vision.

OR

You can roll me perception+linguistics to see if the word patterns pop anything out via normal cryptography. vs 7.

- Ilora

James

I already have a cellphone, and would be happy to give you my number.

He stops to think for a moment, and then says:

Would it be alright if I take a look at that last page in the dossier? It's just so strangely intriguing.

((James does a quick check, to see if he can decipher anything from that page.))

Ilora
2008-04-11, 04:38 PM
(OOC: Roll me wits + streetwise vs 8 please Nathaniel.)

Nathaniel

I know a couple of cops, they are only beat cops, but they may be able to give me a heads up if anything like this happens again. And Rat, so we aren't all necessarily Rambo types, who spend all their time walking round with a canon strapped to their chest, but it doesn't mean we don't know how to handle ourselves in a fight.

Ilora
2008-04-11, 04:40 PM
(OOC: Let me know who if anyone decides to go talk to the Prince - I.)

(OOC: Rat, let me know what type of ammo you're trying to get, and from where/how. - I.)

"Just get us something that would affect Garou or Faeries or whatever else is out there. Kindred too for that matter. Fire's always good. Phospherous shotgun shells or something. I got no desire to be offed by someone who has a bone to pick with the prince. And someone who hasn't been used as the prince's personal Picasso, please go ask her if we can at least get the 911 lines tapped so we can head off the police and maybe get a good look at the scene." he considers, "You guys solve the weapon situation. I'll deal with communication." he grimaces at Rat, "I'd prefer it if you didn't come in in my ride I just got it detailed."

Monney Dhoo
2008-04-12, 01:33 PM
(OOC: Roll me wits + streetwise vs 8 please Nathaniel.)

[spoiler]

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

The cop(s) are Nathaniel's contact(s), all Nathaniel is trying to find out is whatever information they know and are willing to talk about and to get advanced warning if they hear about anything similar occurring.

[/spoiler[

Sayn
2008-04-12, 01:49 PM
James

After picking up the last page of the dossier, he quickly glances at it. Only, when his eyes hit the page, they stick there, and he stares at the paper for a minute or so, mumbling something.

I'll go with the first of those options.

[roll0]

Ilora
2008-04-23, 09:20 AM
For Nathaniel
As you look at the dossier, you recognize the area as being where your grandmother's tribe likes to camp every so often. Chances of them being there right now are pretty darn good. The gypsies mentioned in the report are probably family members.

Also, as you go back to the bar, you happen to catch a local raleigh cop after shift. A question gets you a slightly surprised look, but then a shrug. After all, just because it's in the papers doesn't mean it's not known. He tells you that the detective running the case is really worried that he might have a couple of serial killers that are progressing. (He thinks the mutilation of the animals and two of the more brutal victims are connected. The other two he thinks belong to someone else.) But that's about all he knows. The Raleigh office only got called in to do some higher-end analysis that the Apex cops don't have access to.

OOC: Anyone going back to talk to the Prince?

OOC: Rat, still waiting on your stuff for bullets/guns/etc.

For James
As you look at the page, you start to see the letters get up and dance across the page, rearranging themselves into a pattern that seems to fit much better. Madness speaks to madness far more directly.

"Hello James.." The paper starts to feel warm in your fingertips, as you watch it smolder in your hands, though no flame comes near it. Yet, you aren't filled with the red fear that normally accompanies flames. You know it is the vision that Judas left on the Tapestry for the clan to see. It is odd that he felt it so important that he went to such efforts to preserve it.

As you watch, the flames are now licking around a shed. You can hear the Ventrue childer screaming as she burns alive. And you hear laughter. A child's laughter, for no adult can mimic that merry high-pitched tone. But the laughter sends chills down your spine, for you know very, very well, that the thing laughing has lived a very long time.

Sayn
2008-04-23, 10:29 AM
James

James' mumbling is slightly louder now. Child... A child? No... Something else.

He suddenly seems to snap back to reality, and blinks a few times before slowly handing the paper back to Rico.

He says nothing of what he's seen, since he's not completely sure of it himself. He needs to process this new information first.