PDA

View Full Version : Alchemyprime's NPC Creation Contest

alchemyprime
2008-03-13, 01:57 PM
Hey all. Alchemyprime here.

Here's the deal. I want to see how well all of you are at making NPCs. Interesting NPCs. Concider this a bit of a contest.

Contest I:
Rules:
1. All NPC statblocks should be in spoiler blocks.
2. Give us a breif explanation of the NPC outside the spoiler box, preferably before.
3. All posts to be considered must be in before 11:59pm PST on Saturday, MArch 21st. Winners will be announced after careful judging.

Criteria of the NPCs for contest 1:
1) They must live in the Underdark.
2) Any and all WotC books are allowed.
3)Also allowed: the Races of Renown books from Green Ronin, as well as the Advanced Bestiary.
4) Don't make them boring.

Awards that will be given out:
1. Best Ally for Good and Neutral Adventurers at a Low Level (CR 1-6)
2. Best Ally for Good and Neutral Adventurers at a Medium Level (CR 7-14)
3. Best Ally for Good and Neutral Adventurers at a High Level (CR 15-20)
4. Best Enemy for Good and Neutral Adventurers at a Low Level (CR 1-6)
5. Best Enemy for Good and Neutral Adventurers at a Medium Level (CR 7-14)
6. Best Enemy for Good and Neutral Adventurers at a High Level (CR 15-20)
7. Best Supporting Character (Any CR)

YEah, I know, there isn't much incentive, but I will have nice little awards to give out. I'm also drawing sprites for trophies.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-03-13, 02:07 PM
Huh. This is actually an extremely interesting idea.

If I knew more about the underdark I might just participate. As it is, I'll have to wait for another one.

alchemyprime
2008-03-13, 02:13 PM
If this contest goes well, I plan on an Urban one next, then volcanoe, and then race specific contests.

playswithfire
2008-03-13, 02:33 PM
Hmm; trophies are nice; let's see if I think of anything good for this.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-03-13, 02:35 PM
To clarify;

Can I post multiple entries, will it be considered awfully unfair if I just drag out some of my old Underdark campaign NPCs, and do you want the full description inside the spoiler tags along with the stat block?

(I'm not interested in awards, though. I just like sharing NPCs.)

Glawackus
2008-03-13, 03:33 PM
I've got an idea, but I'm going to have to go prospecting for some information. :smalltongue:

Chronos
2008-03-13, 06:02 PM
Do these have to be folks from the Underdark, or just someone who might reasonably be found there (such as other adventurers)?

alchemyprime
2008-03-15, 06:52 PM
Tsothla-
You get up to 5 entries in any of the categories. So if you put in 2 for #2 (an ally between CR 7-14) and 1 in each of the enemy categories, then no more entries for you until the next contest.
I will allow some old NPCs as long as they fit my guidelines. Full description and stat block in spearate spoiler blocks, please.

Chronos-
I think any character that makes sense in the Underdark will be fine. So, for example, an avariel would be just plain silly, but a dwarf makes perfect sense.

Oh, one other thing: if you use a source other than the Three Core or XPH, MoI or ToM, tell me where it is from. I forget sometimes what feat was in what book, or which feat gave a +2 to Charisma based skill checks and which only gives the bonus to Use Magic Device (for some examples).

Good luck!

alchemyprime
2008-03-20, 01:47 PM
Okay, I'll extend this out another week. Does anyoneobject to that?

Prometheus
2008-03-20, 03:09 PM
I have a NPC with very interesting fluff, but doesn't use a very powerful build. Were I to use it in one of my own campaigns, I'd simply give it a higher level for the CR or high advantageous circumstances. But it is unclear to me whether this is a build contest or a creativity contest which type of contest this is - Should I bother posting?

alchemyprime
2008-03-21, 08:46 PM
Okay, this is a creativity contest.

Fluff: maximum of 20 points
Crunch: maximum of 10 points

I'm judging you on crunch a bit too, but a highly original NPC can still win if it's build isn't the greatest.

So, the fluffier the better.

alchemyprime
2008-03-28, 06:37 PM
Um... we close tonight at midnight... and I see no entries...