PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Alt-Abilities

Burley
2008-03-13, 03:37 PM
This is some stuff I wrote up on a whim for another thread in the Gaming section, and I'm really liking the idea of the concept.
Anyways, these abilities are to replace the Warlocks normal Eldritch Blast, his Deceive Item and his Imbue Item ability, as well as maybe Detect Magic at will. (The main concept for this is to be a Warlock(Alt)//Rogue gestalt who is as close to Gambit from the X-men.)

To replace Detect Magic: I was thinking Prestidigitation. Makes for all the eye glowyness/blackness that Gambit has going, as well as the ability to make his cloak always clean and look breezy...

To alter the Eldritch Blast: He imbues cards with explosive energy. (Same exact rules as the Eldritch Blast, but the character will need to buy/craft cards or similar non-weaponish items.) He may apply one Essense invocation to this blast. (Blast Shapes would be a little useless.)

To replace Deceive Item: Let him charge his Eldritch Blast into an item and set a 1d4 (1d6) round timer on it. The item must be something specific to the character, like his cards. (Functions sorta like Delayed Fireball with Eldritch Blast damage and a much smaller burst radius of 10-feet). The Imbued Item may be placed or thrown (as per normal blast) in the same round as imbued.

To replace Imbue Item: The Gambit-lock can now set use the previous ability on anything and everything, with a touch (or melee touch attack), as a standard action. (Imagine the look on the [Enemy Fighter]'s face when the Gambit-lock Imbues the [Enemy Fighter]'s full-plate armor and runs away. "Hot, Hot, HOT! HOTHOTHOTHOTHO...Kaboom!")

My fear is that the last ability is too weak. There's really nothing stopping the Gambit-lock from just imbuing a card, sticking it to the guy, and running.

Help with the last ability, as well as a general critique of the others, would be appreciated.

Also, if you were to build this character, what feats/invocations would you take? Keep the Gambit concept in mind.
(Obviously, Eldritch Glaive and Hammer Blast for his staff and his ability to blow walls apart.)