PDA

View Full Version : D&D Sentai

Admiral Squish
2008-03-13, 06:41 PM
Well, I had this idea this morning, and there's nobody in the house to share it with, so i thought I would share it with the playground, as you're likely to vaguely appreciate it.

Now, I know what you thought when you saw the title. You're thinking, say, colossal red attacks sharn and the adventurers fight them off, or something like that. On the contrary.

An amateur wizard has begun to animate D&D beasties from his monster manuals, and sets them loose upon the town. Our heroes are a Thursday-night game group who are gifted by a second wizard with the power to become their characters, as long as they have the sheets on-hand, and thus they fight to save all the Lv. 1 commoners of modern-day Los Angeles from the various baddies conjured by their mysterious BBEG.

I thought it was clever, at least, but now that I say it sounds a bit stupid.

BRC
2008-03-13, 06:44 PM
That sounds like what I am from now on going to call an Autocliche. I don't think it's been used that often, but it sounds like somthing that has and would therefore be treated as a horrid cliche.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-13, 06:46 PM
That said, with enough lampshading and subversion, that can be 20 different degrees of awesome.

And remember: To become the characters, the players must do a little tarantela dance. 'Cause nobody expects tarantela.

AslanCross
2008-03-13, 08:01 PM
Fantasy Sentai Dungeonranger?
Well, if you do it right it could become pretty awesome.

Rutee
2008-03-13, 08:06 PM
This is an awesome idea by definition and I am in full support of it.

Ascension
2008-03-13, 08:35 PM
I like this. I agree with the statement about lampshading... if you do this, you pretty much need to do it as a three-quarters parody. The characters will be as genre savvy as the players, and the same goes double for the BBEG. The game needs to be constructed in such a way as to point out and play with the cliches of the genre and the flaws in the game. This is up to your players, of course, but I'd love to use the "knowledge is a trained only skill" thing as a running gag. Need to do mathematics in hero form? Sorry, when you're a D&Dranger, you've got to have ranks in Knowledge: Math.

Also, you need to handwave away the use of advanced technology somehow. Rule of Cool is the obvious reason, but you need to have an in-game reason in case one of your players wants to overoptimize with the firearm stats from the DMG or some stuff from d20 Modern or something.

Rutee
2008-03-13, 08:39 PM
Aren't Firearms in the DMG 1D10 period?

Ascension
2008-03-13, 09:42 PM
The "Renaissance Weapons" are very limited, but the "Modern Era" weapons get up to 2d10. That being said, the reflex save DC to avoid an automatic weapon is insanely low.

At higher levels, that really wouldn't matter, as most of the damage would be coming from non-weapon sources, but at low levels a 2d10 hunting rifle could be a good bit more effective than anything else available.

Rutee
2008-03-13, 09:51 PM
Ah. you could just rule that the Dungeonrangers can't take Weapon Proficiency in Firearms :smallbiggrin:

Also, important note; Sentai doesn't take itself seriously anymore (Assuming it ever did). Don't worry about it.

sonofzeal
2008-03-13, 09:58 PM
Good idea, if done well. "Rule of Cool" applies heavily. Don't forget classic RP elements - encourage players to play players that aren't the same as the player themself.... if that makes any sense. Make the nature of their power important, by creating scenes where they need their power, but might not have their sheets (say, they're in gym class, or swimming). Give them opportunities to solve the problems without automatically reverting to their characters, by using what abilities they as humans have, combined with their encyclopedic knowledge of the game rules. Make use of the fact that the monsters follow D&D rules, but they follow IRL rules.

Yeah, sounds like it could work!

Koga
2008-03-13, 10:01 PM
Power Rangers D&D?! Why didn't I think of that?! lol!

I demand we get a mecha ehh... I mean golem.

Green Ranger: Druid
Red Ranger: Warlock
Blue Ranger: Artificer
Pink Ranger: Beguiler
Black Ranger: Binder
Gold Ranger: Duskblade
White Ranger: Cleric
Yellow Ranger: Wizard

Bonus feats and bonus abilities to choose from for customizability. (No prestige classes)

Admiral Squish
2008-03-13, 10:02 PM
I think they'd stick to their D&D weapons, since they're not proficient with modern weapons. Oh, and there's nothing quite like seeing an ogre barbarian rampaging through the mall on the tail of a juvenile black dragon.

Which brings up the question of what I should allow. Would monster races just be too far our there? would cross-gender things get too weird, too fast?

Koga
2008-03-13, 10:08 PM
Oh, and there's nothing quite like seeing an ogre barbarian rampaging through the mall on the tail of a juvenile black dragon.
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/0/00/250px-Goldar.jpg

We should have a sentai team and another player group that's the main villains, finnaly I could play an ogre mage psychic warrior!!!!

Ascension
2008-03-13, 10:10 PM
I'm not familiar with the d20 Modern rules, but you might want to have your players draw up a low-powered (NPC class?) d20 Modern sheet for their mundane form to accompany their D&D-statted Dungeonranger form (for stuff like sonofzeal suggested).

Oh, and the third-party Doom Striders sourcebook has some fun rules for magically-powered mechs. Sadly, by RAW, the crew space maxes at four, and that's only if your strider is Colossal, but you could handwave it a bit to fit the whole party into a single strider. Alternatively, homebrew some combination mechanics and let the Dungeonrangers each have a Huge doom strider of their own which can combine with the others to make a massive, uber DOOM strider.

NOTE OF WARNING: While I've read the whole thing, I've never playtested any of the Doom Strider rules, and I don't have an especially good eye for balance, so they may be too strong (although the DM should simply be able to counter this with another doom strider). I'd almost certainly ban the shudder fist weapon, or at least limit its applicability.

Sure, the Dungeonrangers don't really NEED a giant mech of doom, but it'd be awesome. Can't you just picture the Tarrasque vs. an enormous mech?

Swordguy
2008-03-13, 10:10 PM
Are we allowed to say that this game of d20 is resembling anime too much now?

(That said, as long as your players know the genre, it'd be lots of different varieties of funny.)

sonofzeal
2008-03-13, 10:12 PM
I think they'd stick to their D&D weapons, since they're not proficient with modern weapons. Oh, and there's nothing quite like seeing an ogre barbarian rampaging through the mall on the tail of a juvenile black dragon.

Which brings up the question of what I should allow. Would monster races just be too far our there? would cross-gender things get too weird, too fast?
Yes, they themselves might be proficient with stuff as humans, but their alter egos should adhere to fantasy standards as much as possible. Which provides some interesting options, where sometimes it might be better for them to be in their human body, so they can use that semiautomatic.

Monster races would be okay, but try to make it evident they're the "good guys". A Bugbear hero is going to create almost as much panic as the dragon he's chasing. Use "common sense" here, but don't be afraid to reflavour monstrous races to make them easier to use in the real world.

Cross-play is probably a bad idea though.

Koga
2008-03-13, 10:14 PM
I'm not familiar with the d20 Modern rules, but you might want to have your players draw up a low-powered (NPC class?) d20 Modern sheet for their mundane form to accompany their D&D-statted Dungeonranger form (for stuff like sonofzeal suggested).
Close but not quite. We are mudane average joes untill the red douche says "it's morphing time!"

Then we use our ridicously sized morphers (how do we hide those things anyway?) and transform into our battle suits!

Infact I'd suggest all sentai be fighter class. Just differant magic weapons and armor. And we can use scrolls and wands without needing use magic device checks.

Tengu
2008-03-13, 10:15 PM
Are we allowed to say that this game of d20 is resembling anime too much now?

(That said, as long as your players know the genre, it'd be lots of different varieties of funny.)

Sentai ain't anime - it's life action. And the maximum amount of camp you can stick into an anime series is basically the minimum requirement to even think of making a sentai series.

Koga
2008-03-13, 10:17 PM
Cross-play is probably a bad idea though.
Unless you're running a power rangers in space type of campaign.

RTGoodman
2008-03-13, 10:20 PM
I have no idea what sentai is, but I like the generic idea of regular people becoming D&D classes in the modern world.

A guy that was in one of my classes a couple of semesters ago was going to start a game with the same theme and I was all set to play an Archivist (since that's what I would probably be in real life anyway). Of course, then he informed us that he hates D&D 3.5 and only plays a heavily modified 2nd edition, complete with THAC0, but that also incorporates the few mechanics from 1st and 3rd edition that he likes. Needless to say, I didn't have anything to do with that game, if it ever got started.

Rutee
2008-03-13, 10:23 PM
Sentai ain't anime - it's life action. And the maximum amount of camp you can stick into an anime series is basically the minimum requirement to even think of making a sentai series.

I wish I could claim I've trained you, honestly. You'd be such a fun protege.

sonofzeal
2008-03-13, 10:31 PM
I have no idea what sentai is, but I like the generic idea of regular people becoming D&D classes in the modern world.
Sentai = Mighty Morphing Power Rangers, more or less. It's a peculiar type of Japanese live-action TV involving spandex costumes and ludicrous amounts of camp, where MMPR is merely the most successful western adaptation. If you want a truly excellent (and downright artful) Sentai film, try to get your hands in "Zebraman (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article50.htm)".

TheThan
2008-03-13, 11:05 PM

True that
(space filler, please ignore)

Xefas
2008-03-14, 02:21 AM
Interestingly, I actually ran a play-by-post with a similar plot a few years ago. A man in Oklahoma had picked up the Hand of Vecna by accident at a yard-sale, and it had corrupted him into summoning a tear in the fabric of reality that allowed a fraction of Vecna's being to manifest into the "Real World".

Of course, at the beginning, he's only a floating blob of energy that can't effect the physical world, and the Oklahoma guy is his metaphorical Dragon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon?from=Main.Dragon).

The first order of business? Go south, and invade Texas! Cut to a group of total strangers milling around the Dallas area after hours and suddenly BAM Ogres and Skeletons show up to wreak havoc. Everyone is fleeing for their lives, save for a select few...they feel a pull to a nearby alleyway where they are confronted by the Celestial Hebdomad (from the Book of Exalted Deeds) who give them their Power Rangerness and tell them to go start kicking ass for the sake of the world.

I had a Satanist Warlock, a Middle-Aged Hippie Druid, a young College-Bound Soulknife, a Tough Guy Bouncer Fighter, and a Drunken Surly Wizard.

It was brilliant while it lasted, but every D&D play-by-post game crumbles after a few combats, so we didn't get too far. When we stopped, a Werewolf was let loose in the UTA dorms and infecting everyone while the PCs tried to stop it without anyone discovering their true nature (since Vecna's servant would find out who they are and then butcher their families).

Roderick_BR
2008-03-14, 05:29 AM
I shouldn't... but I'll say it.

Have all of them play rangers... then have all of them get the power attack feat...

*runs*

Mad Maudlin
2008-03-14, 07:09 AM
I think they'd stick to their D&D weapons, since they're not proficient with modern weapons.

"Not proficient? What do you mean 'not proficient'? It's a gun! See this little button? It's called a 'trigger' and I'm going to pull it-woop..." *Shoots self in foot*

I would totally read this in comic form, or watch it in literal sentai form (as long as it came with the right balance of absurdity/irony)... Not sure I'd play it in DnD-campaign form, though. Something about having to play yourself in a high powered game - it'd be too weird.

Toric
2008-03-14, 07:52 AM
Now, my question about a campaign of this nature is this: would the players get to come up with their own transformation battle-cry?

"Level-up! Guardian creatures combine!"
"Crab!"
"Nymph!"
"Dragon!"
"Tarrasque!"
"Kobold!"
"We are Monster Rangers! We will fight for justice!"

Admiral Squish
2008-03-14, 04:07 PM
Hmmm... I'm gonna hafta look into the comic form. My brother said he would draw me a comic if I gave him some scripts...

Lemur
2008-03-14, 04:24 PM
I am in full support of such a venture. However, there must be some way to incorporate robots/golems into the mix.

That sounds like what I am from now on going to call an Autocliche. I don't think it's been used that often, but it sounds like somthing that has and would therefore be treated as a horrid cliche.

It's not a cliche, it's a genre. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLUxlKHsuA&feature=related) :smallamused:

Terraoblivion
2008-03-14, 04:35 PM
I too come out in full support of the idea. It gets even better with the total adherrence to D&D rules for their morphed form that others have suggested. There is one thing that is kinda interesting. What kinds of costumes should they have? Because it isn't sentai without the spandex costumes. And it would actually be kinda fun to have a spandex version of stereotypical D&D characters. I mean imagine a tight spandex suit version of a wizard robe and with a fake beard from the helmet.

NorseItalian
2008-03-14, 04:50 PM
If it's sentai, everybody needs unarmed strike and their own construct.

Mattarias, King.
2008-03-14, 09:31 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Two words:
Hells. Yes.

Total and utter support. No need for camp, just awesomeness. All start with improved unarmed strike, which goes up with morphing. Costumes are based off their zords, which have a set theme. I say dragons, because those are conveniently badass AND color-coded. Zords are dragons with the construct subtype and gain a large stat (and size category) boost for combining.

More ideas as I think of them.

Koga
2008-03-14, 10:48 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Two words:
Hells. Yes.

Total and utter support. No need for camp, just awesomeness. All start with improved unarmed strike, which goes up with morphing. Costumes are based off their zords, which have a set theme. I say dragons, because those are conveniently badass AND color-coded. Zords are dragons with the construct subtype and gain a large stat (and size category) boost for combining.

More ideas as I think of them.
That's true, dragons would be best for it. And there's enough colored dragons to more then fit for a sentai group.

Koga
2008-03-14, 10:58 PM
Each sentai should get a signature weapon too. For maximum awesome the weapon should have a spell attatched.

Power Sword:
Damage: 1d10
Critical: 19-20
Multiplyer: x2
Effect: On a critical hit the power sword deals an additional 2d6 damage.
Spell: As a supernatural ability, through your power sword you can cast the spell blade barrier. This effect is usable 3/day.

Admiral Squish
2008-03-15, 01:05 AM
Koga, am I making this game or are you?

I like the idea of dragon-zords. (color-coded for your convenience!) However, this is where the two lines of thought are diverging. I intended a very vague interpretation of sentai, as in just 'super-team saves the world through transformation-powers'. However, you guys are getting into spandex territory, which, while it would be interesting, leaves little room for party individuality. Spandex would just be a whole squad of monks. I'm looking for something much more... effective. Not to mention versatile.

Ascension
2008-03-15, 01:13 AM
Even if they are "spandex," to use your noun-turned-adjective, that doesn't mean they can't have individuality. I think that Dungeonranger definitely shouldn't be a class or even a feat tree, but rather a low-to-no LA template that gives everybody just enough similarity to identify them clearly as a team, but doesn't limit them from varying their abilities greatly. You don't have to sacrifice individuality completely to become a Dungeonranger... just look at BoukenRed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5_Qh2HqWgU&feature=related) here for inspiration!

EDIT: They definitely need Perform: Dramatic Pose as a class skill across the board, though.

Koga
2008-03-15, 01:23 AM
Koga, am I making this game or are you?
I'll make my own sentai game.

And it'll have blackjack, and hookers!

Infact... forget the sentai!

Mad Maudlin
2008-03-15, 04:51 AM
I intended a very vague interpretation of sentai, as in just 'super-team saves the world through transformation-powers'.

You mean like halfway between Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Migthy Morphin Power Rangers? That's the kind of thing I was imagining when you described it... because that would be the awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Kami2awa
2008-03-15, 05:03 AM

Modernised spins on D&D classes would be interesting too... Cleric of Television anyone?

Tyrmatt
2008-03-15, 06:22 AM
Oh dear oh dear...I've fallen in love with this idea. All my childhood make-believe could be relived in glorious stats and RP...

horseboy
2008-03-15, 12:07 PM
We used to do this general idea once in a while with Vampire.

The "Playing yourselves" games are always interesting to find out about people who you thought you knew. That's where you find out your ST is actually the pit fighting champ of three states, the job the weirdo did for the navy was a nuclear tech, one guy paid for college by being a professional thief, the other turned down an offer to be an Olympian archer and you're setting at the table going: "No wonder we're playing ourselves this time. We've got some of the most cliched back stories I think I ever heard."

Roderick_BR
2008-03-15, 03:54 PM
If it's sentai, everybody needs unarmed strike and their own construct.
A group of Apparatus of the Crab users?? And they can combine it to form That Damn Crab :smallbiggrin:

And don't forget they need a fancy group attack that works only when the monster is already almost defeated.

Ascension
2008-03-16, 01:52 AM
And don't forget they need a fancy group attack that works only when the monster is already almost defeated.

They have to delay to get on the same initiative count, expend simultaneous full-round actions, and each pass a DC 20 Perform: Dramatic Pose check to access it, but if they do they can get an Insta-Coup-de-Gras if the enemy is below a... sixth, let's say... of its' HP?

sonofzeal
2008-03-16, 02:10 AM
They have to delay to get on the same initiative count, expend simultaneous full-round actions, and each pass a DC 20 Perform: Dramatic Pose check to access it, but if they do they can get an Insta-Coup-de-Gras if the enemy is below a... sixth, let's say... of its' HP?
Well, we all know that monsters can't be beaten without that, so...

Give every creature some Regen, and the Tarrasque's "can't be killed" trait. Then allow the super-special-ultra-move to bypass it and actually kill the darn thing as opposed to smashing it around all the time.

I like the delay-init + simultanions-full-round-actions + perform mechanic for it though.

Ascension
2008-03-16, 03:27 AM
Well, we all know that monsters can't be beaten without that, so...

Give every creature some Regen, and the Tarrasque's "can't be killed" trait. Then allow the super-special-ultra-move to bypass it and actually kill the darn thing as opposed to smashing it around all the time.

Not every creature. They can still take down mooks without the power of teamwork. It's only the ginormous critters they fight in their uberconstruct that can't be killed without the SUPER SPECIAL AWESOME SECRET ATTACK OF DOOM!

So yeah, I'd say give it to everything gargantuan and colossal... some huges, but not all.

Oh, and just for the heck of it... a thought experiment with the dragon-themed dungeonranger idea.

Gold Dragonranger: Leader, crusader, imbues his attacks (both armed and unarmed) with fire. Passionately hates injustice, can't stand to see innocent beings harmed.

Silver Dragonranger: Second-in-command, cleric, war domain is a must. His attacks deal extra cold damage. Has a friendly rivalry with the Gold Ranger. They were probably roommates in college.

Bronze Dragonranger: Smart guy, warblade. Diamond Mind-focused build. His attacks deal bonus lightning damage. A math major in real life, he views combat as just a complex equation.

Copper Dragonranger: Comic relief, bard/sublime chord. Deals bonus acid damage. Laid back and easygoing, quick with a joke.

Brass Dragonranger: Quick guy, rogue or scout (maaaaybe Desert Wind focused swordsage). His attacks have the potential to inflict a magical sleep effect on his target. He's as garrulous as the Copper Dragonranger, but others often have a hard time understanding his odd sense of humor.

How does that sound? I wanted to add a Sixth Ranger (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SixthRanger), but I ran out of metallic dragons. Wait... no, I didn't!

Platinum Dragonranger: Chosen of Bahumut, originally introduced as an antagonist in a Miko-esque role, sent by Bahumut himself to make sure the Rangers are still doing what they're supposed to be doing and that they are fully dedicated to the cause. He should either be a sorcerer (showing his close connection with dragonkind) or a psychic warrior (just for something melee-based, but still significantly different). If he's a sorcerer, his physical attacks don't do anything special, but his presence alone forces a save vs. fear to nearby antagonists. If he's a psychic warrior, his attacks have the potential to inspire fear.