PDA

View Full Version : College Interviews, Advice Please

BRC
2008-03-13, 06:55 PM
So, over spring break I'll be spending a few days driving across the country with my parents visiting colleges (not somthing Ive done before.) My parents signed me up for several interviews. Any tips on how to conduct myself during/prepare for these interviews? Or more generally, things I should ask questions about/take note of/ take an intrest in/ assign my vast spy network to investigate during the tours and interviews?

mercurymaline
2008-03-13, 06:58 PM
Ask about extracurriculars, social groups and such. Lets you know what sort of things there are to do on campus, with the added bonus of letting the interviewer know you're interested in being socially active, etc. Whether you really are or not, they like that.

morbid

Noctesis
2008-03-15, 08:42 PM
Ask about college professors and their approachability. What are the hours that professors are available for questions? How large are the freshman classes?

Ask about housing opportunities. What types of rooms are available? Where are the dorms in relation to the rest of the campus?

Ask about research opportunities, if you want to. Can you just walk up to a professor and ask them about their research? Are there organized methods of attaining an internship? Summer internship?

If you're interviewed by alumni, ask them about their opinions of the professors, the learning environment, the intensity of the courses in your preferred major, social life, places to eat/accessible common gathering spots, security (important if you plan to bring anything of value), and financial aid.

If you're interviewed by the college admissions staff (which you probably will be, given you'll be seeing the campus), ask them about popular majors, the student body, school events planned by student groups, etc.

If you've already applied to these colleges this year, be prepared to answer hard questions like "Why do you believe you belong here at _____?", "What do you believe is your greatest strength/weakness?", or the much-dreaded "So tell me about yourself..."

Remember to have a firm handshake and formalish clothes. Walk confidently, speak confidently, be confident in yourself. This is about you, and the interviewer is looking at you to see if you would fit in their university. Just be yourself, and you'll find yourself in a college that fits you best.

13_CBS
2008-03-15, 09:26 PM
What are you passionate about? What are your interests? Keep in mind that the interviewers are trying to get a better "feel" for who you are. Therefore, brief, one/two word answers tend to be really bad. Ex:

Interviewer: "So what do you do during your free time?"
Me: "Oh, I play the violin."
Interviewer: "...huh. Ok..."

That = FAIL.

Interviewer: "So what do you do during your free time?"
Me: "Oh, I play the violin. I've done so for about 14 years now."
Interviewer: "Oh really? You must have done lots of other things with it."
Me: "Yes, though the real fun part about it is...[insert some activity that I've done with music, presenting it in a way that says "I've done it cuz it's fun and I love it" while avoiding the typical "I did it cuz I'm cool like that" statements]"
Interviewer: "So do you plan on majoring in music?"
Me: "Actually no. [insert a semi-philosophical statement on why I love music too much to major in it, avoiding overly self-degrading statements and such, all the while MAKING SURE THAT I SOUND LIKE I'M VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT THE SUBJECT]."

That = better.

Dave Rapp
2008-03-15, 10:23 PM
Back up. You're driving with your parents, to look to colleges they picked out for you? Okay, um... the best advice I can give you is to stop listening to your parents. Dead serious here.

Look, I know your parents are probably more experienced than you, and they might be smarter than you as well. But they went to college a good ten, twenty, maybe even thirty years ago. In terms of colleges, your parents basically won't know boop. No offense intended towards your folks.

Letting them pick your college is a bad idea. I'm not saying they're incapable of picking out a good one; since they're your parents, you should always at least listen to their input. But the decision needs to be at least 75% YOUR decision. Nobody but you will be able to tell what sort of place is best for you.

EDIT: i maek typos alot lol

BRC
2008-03-15, 10:46 PM
Back up. You're driving with your parents, to look to colleges they picked out for you? Okay, um... the best advice I can give you is to stop listening to your parents. Dead serious here.

Look, I know your parents are probably more experienced than you, and they might be smarter than you as well. But they went to college a good ten, twenty, maybe even thirty years ago. In terms of colleges, your parents basically won't know boop. No offense intended towards your folks.

Letting them pick your college is a bad idea. I'm not saying they're incapable of picking out a good one; since they're your parents, you should always at least listen to their input. But the decision needs to be at least 75% YOUR decision. Nobody but you will be able to tell what sort of place is best for you.

EDIT: i maek typos alot lol
Well, the purpose of this trip isn't to pick a college, it's moreso to take a look at various types of colleges so I can get a better feel for what I'm looking for. Ive got a very long way to go before I actually pick a college, but right now I don't really have much in the way of grounds for comparison.

Good advice by the way everybody, I'll try to remember it.

Jae
2008-03-15, 10:56 PM

Hahahahaha. dude.
You're my hero. :smallamused:

Thanatos 51-50
2008-03-16, 01:30 AM
Disclaimer of Disclaiming Porportions:
You may feel free to disregard anything I say, as I have never been to college, shown up to an interview or even APPLIED (I went straight into the military, much easier application process. plus, THEY pay YOU, swanky, no?)

Sir and Ma'am them to death. Most people will see that as a sign of respect, and, if it bothers them, will tell you to call them something else, usually naming the something else while they're at it. In this case, call them the something else. Nothing pisses some people off more than you calling them "Dude", "Bro", "Babe", or "Dahlin'" while they're interviewing you.

Dress semi-casually, at the least, I'm not saying wear a suit and/or tux, but jeans, t-shirt, and hoodie are right out. Wear slacks (or at least Dickies) and a collard (or at least "nice") shirt.

Um... and thats really all I can advise, act and look "Nice", be respectful, all that fun stuff.

Jimblee
2008-03-16, 11:33 AM
The person who interviews you really only gives in a voice to support or denounce you when your name comes up

The goal really is just to make them like you, and think you'll be good there. I just read up on what the college wants in kids, then acted to be like that kid and tried to make them laugh

Worked for me

Solo
2008-03-16, 11:55 AM
So, over spring break I'll be spending a few days driving across the country with my parents visiting colleges (not somthing Ive done before.) My parents signed me up for several interviews. Any tips on how to conduct myself during/prepare for these interviews? Or more generally, things I should ask questions about/take note of/ take an intrest in/ assign my vast spy network to investigate during the tours and interviews?

Be moving, be well dressed, be awesome.

I was interviewed only once, and that was for the University of Chicago.

I went to the interview, was dressed appropriately, and when interviewed, talked about my personal interests, goals, and showed interest in the College and why I wanted to go there. (It might have helped that my parents and an uncle also graduated from there. Don't know how you'll manage to work that into your interviews, though.)

Imanaged to impress upon the interviewer that I was intelligent, affable, and would fit in with the UoC.

Unfortunately, I didn't get in despite his recommendation, but I did get the recommendation, so the interview was a success.

Hazkali
2008-03-16, 08:07 PM
I don't know quite how it works in the US, but when I applied to University of Cambridge (yes, that one), my interview was heavily technical- I was asked a lot of questions about my subject, presented in non-standard ways. So be aware that they might not just be asking about your hobbies or general "why do you like your subject?" questions.